“A honeymoon to remember!”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #51 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A honeymoon to remember!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

First - This is not the swanky all-inclusive resort you're used to if you stay at chain resorts!

Now that we have that distinction out of the way - YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE - as long as you are open to new experiences, local flavor, and simply need basic accommodations (a room with a bed and bathroom). You will not be "pampered," but you will be well cared for. You certainly get what you paid for and more!

We were married in April 2004 at a Sandals, as we thought that was where our friends and family would be the most comfortable. However, my husband and I are a bit more adventurous and after everyone left we moved to Merrils II for our honeymoon. Best decision ever! We knew we would be out and about quite a bit so we paid for a less-than-all-inclusive meal package (I think it was 1 meal of our choice a day). It worked great, as we did not feel like we were tied into having our meals at the resort (because "we paid for them already"). And honestly, we ended up eating at the "shack" next door. They're food was amazing - best lobster I've ever had to this day - and we paid less than the meal package would have cost.

Also, at the time (not sure if this is still the case) we could have our meal at any of the three Merrils resorts. So if we did not like the featured dinner at our resort, we could walk down to the first Merrils and eat there instead.

Yes, there are locals on the beach. Yes, many are trying to sell you something.
No, you are not in danger if you say no. Just be polite: "No thank you. Respect!"
Yes, you may make a life-long friend with a local, who shows you the road-less-traveled in Negril (the "seedy underbelly"), and have stories that you will tell for 10 or more years!

In fact, that is exactly what happened on our honeymoon! We also made friends with people from Germany and North America.

Now we are planning our 10 year anniversary and we are booking at Merrils II again! We look forward to making new friends and seeing old friends.
(Note: Our date of travel was actually April 2004)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IrieWoMon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New Tripoli, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

This was our fourth trip to Merrill's. We've been back to Jamaica many times, & stayed everywhere from the Ritz-Carlton Rose Hall, to Holiday Inn Sunspree, but we always come back to Merril's. Here's why, and what you need to know before you decide whether to book a visit here....
Merrill's isn't a "resort." You won't have 24-hour buffets, beachside bar service, & a host of activities & entertainments to keep you occupied without leaving the property. What you will have is a clean but basic room, 3 meals a day, (at times listed in the hotel info booklet) & one little bar with drinks served from 11ish to 10:00pm. The beach is absolutely the most beautiful in Jamaica, but yes, it is open to the "locals," (I don't know why people seem to think it shouldn't be. It is their country, after all) and yes, they will try to sell you things, everything from fruit, to lobsters, to bracelets, to newspapers. Buy them or not. If you say "no, thank you," they'll leave you alone, & for the few that don't, the hotel's security will send them off. (But there's nothing better than sitting on the beach & buying a fresh coconut, which the bar can top off with some rum, for a rum-and-coconut water!)
As for the food, it's basic, it's healthy, but it does repeat itself. Yesterday's fried chicken does show up in today's stew, and today's rolls might be tomorrow's bread pudding. That's how Jamaicans eat at home, by the way. However, there are plenty of great little restaurants within a short walking distance, so if you want some variety, eat a meal or two out. (We do). You're saving enough money staying here that you can do that.
The hotel does not have any of its own entertainment, but fortunately it's in the absolute best location to walk up or down the beach to see some great live music at night. (We just caught Andrew Tosh, son of Peter Tosh, right down at the Roots Bamboo. Also great for music are Alfred's--next door, and Bourbon Beach a couple properties over). Nothing is ever "100% safe," but we've never had any trouble walking to or from any venues on the beach at night...just a bunch of people trying to sell us ganja, but a simple "no thanks" works fine.
In short, when you're at Merril's, you'll know you're in Jamaica. It's comfortable, basic, clean, quirky, & at times troubling, but it's a place you can really fall in love with if you give it a chance. (Think less "Great Hotels" and more "Lonely Planet" & you get the idea.). One of these days, all these great little hotels may be replaced by big chain resorts, even along 7-Mile Beach, and that will really be a shame.

• Stayed July 2013
14 Thank mamaprib
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Rooms - My daughter and I stayed at the hotel in May 2013 for only 3 nights on the weekend. The room was okay....the shower in terms of the water pressure could be much, much better. The shower was so small I literally had my hands at my side so I could turn around to take a shower. However, before you take a shower you need a washrag. When we checked in there wasn't any. When we requested one, the housekeeper who brought it told me she could only locate this one and it was in the dryer. The rag was half-dry. We did not get another until late Saturday evening.

The living area is very informal. Those chairs were hard and very straight. You would think since there is no entertainment, they could have at least made the rooms comfortable for you to relax in, so we sat on the porch and talked. The grounds are small but well kept and so while walking we saw others chatting on the porch as well. We had a good night sleep.

Meals - You are only provided with 3 meals so if you get there after 2:00 or 2:30 (whichever is check-in) don't expect to be fed until 7pm when its dinner. Luckily, I saw this gentleman eating a sandwich and when I enquired from the waitress, she brought us a sandwich. However, you can drink as much as you want.

The meals were horrible (cold, burnt or just okay). The only thing I loved was the breakfast on Saturday but only because I had choices (there is not a lot). They usually have a Jamaican buffet on Saturdays...30 mins later they ran out of an item and they did not replace it. Sometimes the meal starts a little late so don't be taking up an plate until they tell you to do so. Also, I hated the presentation of the desserts (the cake icing was soft due to the heat I presume) and the choices. They had about 2-3 cakes and all they tasted the same.

There is no entertainment, so you are on your own.

Beach - The beach is great. You can walk for miles, just be prepared for crafters asking you to come look at their stuff. That was fine...they don't hassle you to buy. There is security at the hotel and he really makes sure you are not bothered when you are on the beach.

Service - other than the rag situation, the staff were friendly.

Location - I loved how close it was to the duty-free shops.

Miscellaneous - I should point out that I worked at an all-inclusive hotel before and was expecting something similar. So read the site well before coming and don't expect what you usually get at an all-inclusive hotel like Hedonism, Sandals, etc. If the food was better I would go back or even recommend it. I notice that not a lot of North Americans were there. I guess they catered to Russians, Germans or some other nationality as those were the language I saw in the rooms on couple of items (cant remember).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank ebswife

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

The beach is beautiful. The buildings and dining area are also beautiful. The service? Not so much. A good portion (not all) of the staff acted like we were an inconvenience the time we were there. My family is of Jamaican descent so maybe they're nicer to tourists. The food is okay. I loved the breakfast, as they made omelets to order which were great. Lunch and dinner however were unmemorable. The bartenders were a mix of very nice and cold and they didn't know common drinks. The drinks they did make were watered down. I purchased a wifi card to do some work in my room and the front text failed to tell me that the service was down until I came back hours later to complain. They then gave me the run around until finally giving me my money back the day I left. I will say that the night desk person was very friendly and nice.

Would I suggest someone stay?

The price is great and the beach is beautiful so probably yes, but just don't go in expecting fantastic service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank prairiedances
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

The beach was the only extraordinary thing about the resort. The service wasn't the best, the staff weren't particular friendly, and the rooms were a little dirty. I did enjoy that it was all inclusive, the food wasn't especially good till the last day and did not have much variety. The bar tender didn't know what the drink sex on the beach was though she said she did. I got a coffee drink instead. My sister paid for wifi in the room so she could do a quick assignment and it did not work. She got the run around till she could finally get her money back the next day.

All in all, if all you are looking for is place to sleep and eat while you enjoy the beach then this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Pioneerspirit86
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

If you want a resort that provides three meals a day and alcoholic drinks till 10pm, this is the place. For a seven night stay for two, including transportation to and from Montego Bay airport, I ended up spending around $800. $800 in Negril Jamaica right on the famous Seven Mile Beach with everything included. Can't beat that. I love to travel cheap and was thoroughly impressed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Salahhudin
Falmouth, Trelawny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place to be but would be better if they could have an open bar with not only sink but something to eat also,if you happen to miss breakfast , lunch or dinner you have to go out on the street for food , room service a plus atmosphere wonderful staff great and well attentive. Another thing in the dinning room there was a lot of flies that needs to put under control :( that part wasn't great

• Stayed September 2012