“Food was terrible.”

Ranked #50 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Food was terrible.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Rooms - My daughter and I stayed at the hotel in May 2013 for only 3 nights on the weekend. The room was okay....the shower in terms of the water pressure could be much, much better. The shower was so small I literally had my hands at my side so I could turn around to take a shower. However, before you take a shower you need a washrag. When we checked in there wasn't any. When we requested one, the housekeeper who brought it told me she could only locate this one and it was in the dryer. The rag was half-dry. We did not get another until late Saturday evening.

The living area is very informal. Those chairs were hard and very straight. You would think since there is no entertainment, they could have at least made the rooms comfortable for you to relax in, so we sat on the porch and talked. The grounds are small but well kept and so while walking we saw others chatting on the porch as well. We had a good night sleep.

Meals - You are only provided with 3 meals so if you get there after 2:00 or 2:30 (whichever is check-in) don't expect to be fed until 7pm when its dinner. Luckily, I saw this gentleman eating a sandwich and when I enquired from the waitress, she brought us a sandwich. However, you can drink as much as you want.

The meals were horrible (cold, burnt or just okay). The only thing I loved was the breakfast on Saturday but only because I had choices (there is not a lot). They usually have a Jamaican buffet on Saturdays...30 mins later they ran out of an item and they did not replace it. Sometimes the meal starts a little late so don't be taking up an plate until they tell you to do so. Also, I hated the presentation of the desserts (the cake icing was soft due to the heat I presume) and the choices. They had about 2-3 cakes and all they tasted the same.

There is no entertainment, so you are on your own.

Beach - The beach is great. You can walk for miles, just be prepared for crafters asking you to come look at their stuff. That was fine...they don't hassle you to buy. There is security at the hotel and he really makes sure you are not bothered when you are on the beach.

Service - other than the rag situation, the staff were friendly.

Location - I loved how close it was to the duty-free shops.

Miscellaneous - I should point out that I worked at an all-inclusive hotel before and was expecting something similar. So read the site well before coming and don't expect what you usually get at an all-inclusive hotel like Hedonism, Sandals, etc. If the food was better I would go back or even recommend it. I notice that not a lot of North Americans were there. I guess they catered to Russians, Germans or some other nationality as those were the language I saw in the rooms on couple of items (cant remember).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank ebswife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The beach is beautiful. The buildings and dining area are also beautiful. The service? Not so much. A good portion (not all) of the staff acted like we were an inconvenience the time we were there. My family is of Jamaican descent so maybe they're nicer to tourists. The food is okay. I loved the breakfast, as they made omelets to order which were great. Lunch and dinner however were unmemorable. The bartenders were a mix of very nice and cold and they didn't know common drinks. The drinks they did make were watered down. I purchased a wifi card to do some work in my room and the front text failed to tell me that the service was down until I came back hours later to complain. They then gave me the run around until finally giving me my money back the day I left. I will say that the night desk person was very friendly and nice.

Would I suggest someone stay?

The price is great and the beach is beautiful so probably yes, but just don't go in expecting fantastic service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank prairiedances
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The beach was the only extraordinary thing about the resort. The service wasn't the best, the staff weren't particular friendly, and the rooms were a little dirty. I did enjoy that it was all inclusive, the food wasn't especially good till the last day and did not have much variety. The bar tender didn't know what the drink sex on the beach was though she said she did. I got a coffee drink instead. My sister paid for wifi in the room so she could do a quick assignment and it did not work. She got the run around till she could finally get her money back the next day.

All in all, if all you are looking for is place to sleep and eat while you enjoy the beach then this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Pioneerspirit86
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

If you want a resort that provides three meals a day and alcoholic drinks till 10pm, this is the place. For a seven night stay for two, including transportation to and from Montego Bay airport, I ended up spending around $800. $800 in Negril Jamaica right on the famous Seven Mile Beach with everything included. Can't beat that. I love to travel cheap and was thoroughly impressed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Salahhudin
Falmouth, Trelawny
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place to be but would be better if they could have an open bar with not only sink but something to eat also,if you happen to miss breakfast , lunch or dinner you have to go out on the street for food , room service a plus atmosphere wonderful staff great and well attentive. Another thing in the dinning room there was a lot of flies that needs to put under control :( that part wasn't great

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank simdob
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed at Merrils ll four time over the years, the first time it was great this was in the late 80's, but every time since it got worse and this time it was just plain BAD. The rooms are OK, beds and pillows are lumpy, we had no hot water for two days and sometimes no water at all. They blamed it on a drought but we also stayed on the cliffs an had so much water pressure almost knocked you over. Make sure your resort has their own water tanks and pump also a generator. The food, well for the most part it was not eatable. The drinks are the best joke of all, the booze is so watered down and they don't use fruit in their drinks anymore it is all just flavors out of a bottles. I must say the housekeeping was good, front desk was OK, dinning room help sucked and the guard on the beach was no help and sometimes wasn't around. Since I had been there over the last 25 years I can see the owners have not been doing any maintenance or upkeep to the place at all or very little if any. I talked to many other guests and most felt the same.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank krfrea

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

MIlwaukee, WI
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my third stay at Merril's 2 and I'm sorry to say, it will be my last. This place has really gone down hill in the past 5 years and although I always set my expectations low for Jamaica, this place very much disappointed me. The rooms, although freshly painted, are incredibly dark, with heavy curtains that are almost impossible to open. The beds are lumpy and I'm not sure there is a word to describe the old pillows (which I'm guessing have NEVER been replaced). The grounds are nice and the beach is raked each morning. Merrill's location on the beach is okay, but it gets very noisy during holidays because it butts up to the public land (think loud base beating for 24 hours straight). The all inclusive plan is a joke unless you like syrup in your drinks, flat soda, bones and broth. Breakfast is good as they do make fresh omelets to order. My biggest complaint is the service. The staff doesn't seem to care for the guests at all and often acts as though we are an inconvenience. My room had zero hot water for the 4 nights i was there and sometimes no water at all! You can tell the front desk staff about your problems, but they don't offer any assistance. They charge you 3 dollars a day for the use of the in room safe and only have one key for each room. I can't express enough how disappointed I was with my stay. There are so many places to stay in Negril, don't waste your time here, no matter the price. See my reviews for the White Sands and the Blue Cave Castle - two places I highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple