“Ours fourth stay and out last.”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #46 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have stayed at Merrils ll four time over the years, the first time it was great this was in the late 80's, but every time since it got worse and this time it was just plain BAD. The rooms are OK, beds and pillows are lumpy, we had no hot water for two days and sometimes no water at all. They blamed it on a drought but we also stayed on the cliffs an had so much water pressure almost knocked you over. Make sure your resort has their own water tanks and pump also a generator. The food, well for the most part it was not eatable. The drinks are the best joke of all, the booze is so watered down and they don't use fruit in their drinks anymore it is all just flavors out of a bottles. I must say the housekeeping was good, front desk was OK, dinning room help sucked and the guard on the beach was no help and sometimes wasn't around. Since I had been there over the last 25 years I can see the owners have not been doing any maintenance or upkeep to the place at all or very little if any. I talked to many other guests and most felt the same.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank krfrea

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my third stay at Merril's 2 and I'm sorry to say, it will be my last. This place has really gone down hill in the past 5 years and although I always set my expectations low for Jamaica, this place very much disappointed me. The rooms, although freshly painted, are incredibly dark, with heavy curtains that are almost impossible to open. The beds are lumpy and I'm not sure there is a word to describe the old pillows (which I'm guessing have NEVER been replaced). The grounds are nice and the beach is raked each morning. Merrill's location on the beach is okay, but it gets very noisy during holidays because it butts up to the public land (think loud base beating for 24 hours straight). The all inclusive plan is a joke unless you like syrup in your drinks, flat soda, bones and broth. Breakfast is good as they do make fresh omelets to order. My biggest complaint is the service. The staff doesn't seem to care for the guests at all and often acts as though we are an inconvenience. My room had zero hot water for the 4 nights i was there and sometimes no water at all! You can tell the front desk staff about your problems, but they don't offer any assistance. They charge you 3 dollars a day for the use of the in room safe and only have one key for each room. I can't express enough how disappointed I was with my stay. There are so many places to stay in Negril, don't waste your time here, no matter the price. See my reviews for the White Sands and the Blue Cave Castle - two places I highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Krissy5252
Reviewed March 5, 2013

If you are into the number 1 music hits from 1958 thru 1974 then this is the place for you. The music was the same looped moldy oldies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was like fingernails on a chalkboard by day 3. What we want to hear in Jamaica is reggae! I could have stayed home and turned my radio to a station that plays oldies.
The reception staff and housekeeping staff were excellent as always.
Two of the servers were sullen and moody to the point of making us uncomfortable. There was one in particular who seemed to spread her nasty mood to the other servers. She actually referred to guests as being "filthy" I don't think she knew we heard this. We would actually go to a different Merril's for our meals if she was in the dining room at Merril's 2. We wondered if it was something we had done wrong as we felt that we were ignored or neglected by several of the servers. We were nothing but polite and respectful.
The young man at the bar deeply offended us by insinuating that my husband had an incestuous relationship with his own sister. He also would make jokes at guest's expense in his native language with people we can only assume were his friends as they were not wearing guest wrist bands. I ended up trying to avoid him if I could. Is this good business? The wonderful experience of our previous trip to Merril's has been tarnished this visit. We might try Merril's 1 next visit. Maybe we can feel again the way we did the first time we stayed with them.
I strongly suggest bringing ones, fives, tens and twenties in American money so you can give them exact amounts because they dont have enough to make change or break a large bill some of the time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C C
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Clean rooms ,great beach area, friendly staff and very reasonable rates. You can still afford to go do & see other things or not, with 3 Merrill's reasturants to choose from. We prefer #2 but have stayed at all 3 places, after 15 years they are all like family. Rasta Mikey is a safe bet but be careful of the dude just between 1 & 2 ( he sits on a white cooler) scary!!!

Room Tip: Ocean front very nice , quieter away from dining area.find out who your regular maid is & suck u...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank Mike & Cath... M
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We booked in for 3 nights at this property described to us by the travel agent as beautiful and breathtaking- we paid £280 for 3 nights but within 20 mins at the hotel we realised its not the hotel for us- we went to reception to explain out dissatisfaction but we were asked to signed a waiver. We did and left. Upon our arrival in the UK I called the travel agent- hotel of the Caribbean and described my experience. In the meantime, I emailed the hotel directly and was offered a full refund by Gylls but I need to get the travel agent to request it- this was on the 17th of Dec- however, on the 25/01- someone by the name of Diana saying no refund. Can the hotel please explain to how much worse can my travel experience be- management- just get this resolve as I just want to move on from this terrible ordeal.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Ralston2
Reviewed February 4, 2013

To start off, we had a amazing time!! Before our trip, i did a lot of research on both Negril and Merril's II. We were not disappointed with either. Our original booking was for a standard room. I guess since it was our honeymoon, while being escorted to our room, we found out we had been upgraded to a Ocean view Suite.

Room: Ocean view suites are great. Porch is large. The beach is just steps away along with the dining. If you are expecting fancy furniture, feather top beds and marble bathrooms, then you have not done your research. Furniture is outdated, bed was hard and the bathroom was just normal. The only thing we would have liked better was a softer bed. By the end of the week, our backs were starting the feel it. Water pressure was low and the hot water wasn't great for the first day or so. That being said, I was able to take a shower and get clean, so it really didn't matter. As for the furniture, it didn't matter much either because if we were at our room, we were on our porch. We don't travel to sit on a couch and watch tv. We also had a frig in our room, which was nice. We went to the grocery store a couple of times and stocked it with sodas. All in all, our room was a room and it served it's purpose, we were able to sleep and shower. What more do you need? A little more comfortable chairs on the porches is all we would really suggest as that is where we spent the most of our time. Another great thing about the porch though. Merril's II is not to far away from Alfred's and Beach Bamboo. At night, the music can be heard from both. Not to loud, just right for chillin.

Food: It is buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not much variety, I myself was able to find something to fill me up everytime we ate there. My wife not so much. We new this coming in, so when she didn't see anything she liked, we hit the beach and found something else. One of the advantages of not paying the high prices of those other places. You can take the money you saved and use it to enjoy the local cuisine. We also didn't go on vacation to eat. So the quality of the food didn't bother us. The staff working the dining were awesome. Our favorite and forgive my spelling were Taniasha, Danielle and Jesper. We had wonderful conversations with all three. Even swapped baby pictures. By the time we left, we felt like they were our friends for life. wonderful women! Bar does close at 10:00pm. didn't bother me much, but I'm sure it will for some. Good thing is, hit the beach and find a party. Personally by 10, I was good to go.

The Beach: Now this is what we came for!! The beach was awesome. White sand, clear water and plenty of loungers. We took walks in both directions every day. One during the day and one after dinner. We never once felt unsafe. There are a lot of vendors. we found a simple no worked on most. Some you had to be stern with. Just keep walking. Also, if you stay where the waves are coming up, it helps. As most are wearing shoes and don't want to get wet. This is one of the best beaches in the world, I recommend spending as much of tour time on it. The sunsets are outstanding. Don't miss one. Each is different.

Grounds: Very pretty place. We kept. Security is 24/7 and are all friendly.

Ganja: If this offends you or you don't like the smell, then Jamaica may not be the place for you. It is every where. On the beach, in the air, on the road. Personally it didn't bother me. But some complain about it on TA and I think to myself, "where did you think you were going?"

Culture: I suggest getting out and doing things outside of the resort. We i mentioned before, we took long walks in both directions on the beach. If you go west, you will run into town. We walked into town twice. We don't believe Negril is a place to go to just stay at your resort. Get out and explore. It's a experience to see what is out there. There is also cabs all over. You can take a route taxi which is $100 J. The route taxis run from the beah to the roundabout and from the roundabout to the cliffs road. If you want your driver to do both routes, you can ask and pay a little more. One down fall, they drive fast and you may be riding with others. We went with a personal driver. We found Dixee right across the street. We used him all week. Great man!!! It cost a little bit more but well worth it. We also had Dixee take us on a day trip to do the Black River Safari, YS Falls and Appleton Rum Estates. We settled on a reasonable price. Plus side, he was by our side the entire time, even held your bags at the Falls. Great guy, give him you business. All the front guards know him and can point him out.

Closing: We gave Merril's 5 Stars for a reason. We knew what we were getting and it was great for us. Is it the same five stars as the fancier places? No, but 5 stars to us. We wanted a relaxing honeymoon with a awesome beach, a bed and a/c. Please research anywhere you go. If you do, you should not be disappointed. All the bad reviews for Merril's are from people that clearly didn't do their research judging from their complaints. If you want a quite resort, an awesome beach and gold and marble are not your style. Come to Merril's II, I know we will again and again. Remember, you are on vacation, don't sweet the small stuff and enjoy yourself. I could go on and on.

Room Tip: 1001 is by far the best room in our mind. No stairs, closest to everything and best view from the po...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Diggz78
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I have been down to Negril 7 times. Our first time was to T-Water and I was definitely not prepared for a 2 star hotel.
The other 6 times we have staying at Merrils 1. Our first time I 'think' there was a friendly creature on our roof ! Couldn't sleep so the staff moved us the next day.
We have a favorite ocean view room which is small but adequate. I kinda decorate it to my tastes. Pull back the curtains with ribbon, make sure that I bring a clock radio with me, an over the door hanger, extra hangers, and make sure I have flowers in our room each day - of course the maintenance staff helps with this.
This year we are going to M2 - not sure if we are making the correct decision and I'll miss our room at M1 but needed to give it a try.
What I absolutely love about the trio of Merrils is that you can talk to the cooks at M1, M2 and M3 and if you don't like what is being served at a particular Merrils, you can walk down to the others to see what is on their menus.
With Merrils offering their all inclusive at a rate lower than the others, we don't mind visiting and eating at the other beach side restaurants. And....really....if drinks aren't available after 10, and you really need to have a beverage, there are numerous establishments along the beach or you can bring a drink or two up to your room.
Can't wait to get there in 4 sleeps.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends