“The hotel is not very bad but it's not the hotel I would usually stay at”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #49 of 85 Hotels in Negril
“The hotel is not very bad but it's not the hotel I would usually stay at”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We booked in for 3 nights at this property described to us by the travel agent as beautiful and breathtaking- we paid £280 for 3 nights but within 20 mins at the hotel we realised its not the hotel for us- we went to reception to explain out dissatisfaction but we were asked to signed a waiver. We did and left. Upon our arrival in the UK I called the travel agent- hotel of the Caribbean and described my experience. In the meantime, I emailed the hotel directly and was offered a full refund by Gylls but I need to get the travel agent to request it- this was on the 17th of Dec- however, on the 25/01- someone by the name of Diana saying no refund. Can the hotel please explain to how much worse can my travel experience be- management- just get this resolve as I just want to move on from this terrible ordeal.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Ralston2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Osage Beach, Missouri
Reviewed February 4, 2013

To start off, we had a amazing time!! Before our trip, i did a lot of research on both Negril and Merril's II. We were not disappointed with either. Our original booking was for a standard room. I guess since it was our honeymoon, while being escorted to our room, we found out we had been upgraded to a Ocean view Suite.

Room: Ocean view suites are great. Porch is large. The beach is just steps away along with the dining. If you are expecting fancy furniture, feather top beds and marble bathrooms, then you have not done your research. Furniture is outdated, bed was hard and the bathroom was just normal. The only thing we would have liked better was a softer bed. By the end of the week, our backs were starting the feel it. Water pressure was low and the hot water wasn't great for the first day or so. That being said, I was able to take a shower and get clean, so it really didn't matter. As for the furniture, it didn't matter much either because if we were at our room, we were on our porch. We don't travel to sit on a couch and watch tv. We also had a frig in our room, which was nice. We went to the grocery store a couple of times and stocked it with sodas. All in all, our room was a room and it served it's purpose, we were able to sleep and shower. What more do you need? A little more comfortable chairs on the porches is all we would really suggest as that is where we spent the most of our time. Another great thing about the porch though. Merril's II is not to far away from Alfred's and Beach Bamboo. At night, the music can be heard from both. Not to loud, just right for chillin.

Food: It is buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not much variety, I myself was able to find something to fill me up everytime we ate there. My wife not so much. We new this coming in, so when she didn't see anything she liked, we hit the beach and found something else. One of the advantages of not paying the high prices of those other places. You can take the money you saved and use it to enjoy the local cuisine. We also didn't go on vacation to eat. So the quality of the food didn't bother us. The staff working the dining were awesome. Our favorite and forgive my spelling were Taniasha, Danielle and Jesper. We had wonderful conversations with all three. Even swapped baby pictures. By the time we left, we felt like they were our friends for life. wonderful women! Bar does close at 10:00pm. didn't bother me much, but I'm sure it will for some. Good thing is, hit the beach and find a party. Personally by 10, I was good to go.

The Beach: Now this is what we came for!! The beach was awesome. White sand, clear water and plenty of loungers. We took walks in both directions every day. One during the day and one after dinner. We never once felt unsafe. There are a lot of vendors. we found a simple no worked on most. Some you had to be stern with. Just keep walking. Also, if you stay where the waves are coming up, it helps. As most are wearing shoes and don't want to get wet. This is one of the best beaches in the world, I recommend spending as much of tour time on it. The sunsets are outstanding. Don't miss one. Each is different.

Grounds: Very pretty place. We kept. Security is 24/7 and are all friendly.

Ganja: If this offends you or you don't like the smell, then Jamaica may not be the place for you. It is every where. On the beach, in the air, on the road. Personally it didn't bother me. But some complain about it on TA and I think to myself, "where did you think you were going?"

Culture: I suggest getting out and doing things outside of the resort. We i mentioned before, we took long walks in both directions on the beach. If you go west, you will run into town. We walked into town twice. We don't believe Negril is a place to go to just stay at your resort. Get out and explore. It's a experience to see what is out there. There is also cabs all over. You can take a route taxi which is $100 J. The route taxis run from the beah to the roundabout and from the roundabout to the cliffs road. If you want your driver to do both routes, you can ask and pay a little more. One down fall, they drive fast and you may be riding with others. We went with a personal driver. We found Dixee right across the street. We used him all week. Great man!!! It cost a little bit more but well worth it. We also had Dixee take us on a day trip to do the Black River Safari, YS Falls and Appleton Rum Estates. We settled on a reasonable price. Plus side, he was by our side the entire time, even held your bags at the Falls. Great guy, give him you business. All the front guards know him and can point him out.

Closing: We gave Merril's 5 Stars for a reason. We knew what we were getting and it was great for us. Is it the same five stars as the fancier places? No, but 5 stars to us. We wanted a relaxing honeymoon with a awesome beach, a bed and a/c. Please research anywhere you go. If you do, you should not be disappointed. All the bad reviews for Merril's are from people that clearly didn't do their research judging from their complaints. If you want a quite resort, an awesome beach and gold and marble are not your style. Come to Merril's II, I know we will again and again. Remember, you are on vacation, don't sweet the small stuff and enjoy yourself. I could go on and on.

Room Tip: 1001 is by far the best room in our mind. No stairs, closest to everything and best view from the po...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Diggz78
LaSalle, Ontario CANADA
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I have been down to Negril 7 times. Our first time was to T-Water and I was definitely not prepared for a 2 star hotel.
The other 6 times we have staying at Merrils 1. Our first time I 'think' there was a friendly creature on our roof ! Couldn't sleep so the staff moved us the next day.
We have a favorite ocean view room which is small but adequate. I kinda decorate it to my tastes. Pull back the curtains with ribbon, make sure that I bring a clock radio with me, an over the door hanger, extra hangers, and make sure I have flowers in our room each day - of course the maintenance staff helps with this.
This year we are going to M2 - not sure if we are making the correct decision and I'll miss our room at M1 but needed to give it a try.
What I absolutely love about the trio of Merrils is that you can talk to the cooks at M1, M2 and M3 and if you don't like what is being served at a particular Merrils, you can walk down to the others to see what is on their menus.
With Merrils offering their all inclusive at a rate lower than the others, we don't mind visiting and eating at the other beach side restaurants. And....really....if drinks aren't available after 10, and you really need to have a beverage, there are numerous establishments along the beach or you can bring a drink or two up to your room.
Can't wait to get there in 4 sleeps.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon A
Colorado Rockies
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just returned from our second stay at Merril's II. Like the first one it was great. Stayed in an Oceanview room. We think it is worth the extra $. The staff is a big part of what makes the place great. From Valerie in reservations to Marlon at the bar A+. A member of our party had broken toes that were bothering him after travelling all day. An ice pack appears without being requested. The night before we left to return home the restaurant had closed and the bar was getting ready to close at around 10 pm. I watched from my balcony as a large party had just checked in and were hungry. Amazing to watch the entire staff including the boss jump into action and feed the new arrivals. Chris and Barbara made sure our bar/restaurant needs were met. Our first visit was with 17 friends and family. Second was with 6. Our party was accommodated at every meal both times with birthday celebrations on both visits. Amazing what a $20 bill here and there will do.The food is good with variety. Bartenders were fun and friendly. The grounds are continuously maintained. Security is 24/7. Got a great massage at Merril's III. The beach and ocean are amazing!
Merril's II works great for us. The restaurant and bar are not 24/7 but the hours are just what we need. Wish they would get WiFi back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank h2ojo
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Merrils II for 5 nights, it's ok. Not awful and not great. The Water Commission was doing work so we lost water at nights 3 out of 5 nights. There were no water tanks on property to cover the expected shut offs.
The beach and pool area were nice and the security was always present on the beach.
The food was also ok, all meals were served buffet style. The overall service was ok, nothing special. In a jam I would stay there again only if I had to.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank JGATL01
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We just came back from Merrils Beach Resorts 2 , we had an awesome time , went with my husband and 5 year old baby girl , it was a mini vation , much needed, I just wanted to comment as I promised the front desk ladies , that were soo nice and polite at the front desk , I loved the hotel , we went to enjoy some time together , and in the meantime by husband and I had some good drinks by the pool , we walked all along the 7 mile beach , which is beautiful , its was soo relaxing and exactly what we needed , food was goood , we enjoyed it - staff was great , beaches are beautiful , I booked for May 2013 - cant wait to go back !!!

Room Tip: Al rooms are nice , but the Oceanfront rooms have the best view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dianita66
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was our first visit to Merrils 2 or any Merrils for that matter, I read most of the reviews posted on trip advisor and thought we would give it a try, well we were totally disappointed from the point of arrival. The lady at the front desk wasn’t much help, as she told us that our room had two double beds and we could not be changed to a room with a single King Size Bed, she then suggested that we push the Beds together and we will be OK. Anyway after some complaining we were given a room with a King size Bed. Even though this hotel is listed as all inclusive it has a lot of limitations, if you want food or liquor you have to get all you want before 10pm as both the restaurant and bar close at 10pm. The restaurant was very limited with food, and I really don’t know if the Chef knows what he is doing, because the food was really bad, everything was just full of salt. The bar staff were very friendly and also always ready to assist, given the limited choices of beverage. Oh and if you want drinking water you have to use the dispenser there is no bottled water. I went to the store and got my water; even though there was no fridge in the room luckily I had a cooler with me. The following morning breakfast was buffet style and was very limited, breakfast was a challenge, and Lunch was ridiculous as the only meat on the menu was pork, they had no chicken or fish. Eventually there was some fried chicken available (limited) the chicken was actually chicken parts chopped up and fried crispy dry. Once you have lunch which finishes at 2:30pm there is nothing until dinner at 7pm. We spent most of the time on the beach sleeping and chilling, if you have kids there are no games or entertainment for them, the only water sport available free of cost is Kayaking which was fun. Negril Beach is one of the best beaches in Jamaica, and if Merrils didn’t have the Beach it would have to close down, by the way when we were there Merrils 1 and Merrils 3 were both closed. This was the first resort I have ever been to and couldn’t wait to check out, we spent 2 nights here and honestly we were totally disappointed, some people will say you get what you pay for but in my books I think no matter what you pay for it should be value for money. Merrils was US$180 per night which is not cheap, RIU is US$215 per night and offers a much more superior All Inclusive package, you name it they have it, and food and liquor is all night. While we were there we could see a lot of disgruntled guests mainly Europeans, and the owner of the property was there chilling under a gazebo with is friends like everything was ok, well if I was him knowing that both Merrils 1 and 3 were closed and Merrils 2 is on the brink of closure I wouldn’t be so relaxed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank niya001

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels