“Enjoyable stay”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #46 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at Merills 1 for 2 weeks it is situated on the fab 7 mile beach which is amazing. Merills 1 itself was very clean and staff very friendly, we were all inclusive the food was nice we enjoyed each meal the drinks were ok the beer was draught some days it was good other days u could not drink it we used to walk to the shop and get the bottles of red stripe which were onlt 1 euro 20cents, and the short drinks were weak with loads of ice, if the hotel done the bottle beer it would be gr8. The security guards were all very friendly and spoke each time u met them. On the beach we met Rasta Mikey we done a few boat trips with him his boat is opposite the hotel, we also done a trip into the mountains which was fab and seen the way they lived. We had a amazing holiday in Negril I would highly recommend it, Merills 1 is not 5 star but very friend and very good atmosphere and we enjoyed our stay there.
L & S Ireland

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Woody123_12

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Spent a weekend at the Merils Resort I and was most disappointed that the resort did not live up to all the hype in the brochure and as pitched by the sales person. The food was simply terrible with breakfast being the only time I ate a semi-descent meal. Drinks at the bar were ok but mixed ones were weak especially if they were virgin.Bar staff were good though. Hotel room was not up to my standard as the tv was too high, their were no movie channels and the remote was badly damaged (they used a piece of scotch tape for God's sake to hold the batteries in the back!) and the furniture was so-so. There was zero hot water available and sometimes no water at all in the shower. There was absolutely no entertainment, no jacuzzi and the swimming pool was tiny and located only on the other resort Merrils II. Hair dryers and irons were accessible only if collected at the front desk. Some staff gave service with a smile (mostly the front desk, bartenders and one waitress) others need to do better. There was no food available between meal times unless you go to local restaurants. And the safe in the room did not work. I will not return.

Room Tip: downstairs rooms got better water pressure
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ruhe-hope A
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Ok I'm french but will do my best to write down a review. This was my 5th trip to Negril and my first time to Merrils 2.

I was there 17 days. I arrived june 7th around 3:30pm. I got my room, which was no. 606. Very clean. I had prior ask for a fridge and it was in the room. The cost was 7.00$ a day.

The maids were very nice and did there job very well. Hot water and the pressure was very powerfull, nothing to complain about it.

The staff at the restaurant and bar were very nice, specially Sharon, she is an angel. Is you talk to her, tell her Christine says Hi!

Now the food. What to say...Really not many choices, was good sometimes. The chef should do some improvments regarding choices, variety. They often cook chicken, almost always the same fruits, salads. Gets boring if i can say so. I did go eat elsewhere during my stay.

The gounds are well kept, the gardeners are doing good a job.

The beach is awesome with shade if you need it, no problem for that. Enough beachchairs also.

You can have a guest come over, it cost 66.00$ for a night.

I did not like that the wifi is 12.00/day and 36.00/week. I used it for a couple of hours only to email my son, so i think it is to expensive. They have a computer at the lobby to use for internet but was not working during my stay. I guess it is 2.00 for 20 minutes. Did not understand why not working (the wifi was working).

All in all, it was ok but would not go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank CoolfQc
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My wife and I just spent a relaxing week-end at Merrils 2.
There were some hi-cups, but overall we enjoyed our stay.

Madam Viola, the manager was very welcoming, and
so were her staff members, with one noticeable exception.

The food and drinks stood out, as very good, relative to the larger all
inclusive hotels.
Our room was downstairs to the front, which turned out to be quiet.
An upstairs room may have been nicer.

The beach and the pool was great.
A good Value for a week-end getaway

Room Tip: An upstairs room closer to the beach front should add to the ambiance
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AshtonNegril_Jamaica
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We found Merrils 2 to be an okay hotel with a great beach. I stayed here for a week in May of 2012 with my husband. We are in our early 50's and have stayed at several other larger all inclusive tropical resorts. We chose this hotel based on location, price, all inclusive amenities and reviews. This was our first time visiting and staying in Negril. We did enjoy our vacation here.

ARRIVAL
We arrived by a JTL bus in the pouring rain. It was a two hour trip from the airport with various other stops along the way. We were dropped off on the side of the road in front of the hotel. No one came out to assist us with our bags. We proceeded to the lobby and were promptly checked in. There was one person working at the desk. We were the only guests checking in at that time. We were offered a safe key for a charge of three dollars per night which we accepted. A credit card imprint was required for possible other charges. We were shown to our second floor room by a helpful bellboy who assisted us with our luggage. The outdoor stairs were somewhat slippery in the rain. The entrances to the second floor rooms are from a covered open-air hall at the back of the buildings.

ROOM
We stayed in room number 706 on the second floor and at the end of the hall. I did like the location of this room. I was somewhat disappointed in the room itself. I thought that the online pictures were more flattering than the reality. There were two double size beds in the room. The bedspreads and curtains were tired looking. One bedspread had a bad stain on it. My husband found a maid who replaced it promptly with a different one. The replacement was also stained. We decided to not use that bed. The bed we shared was comfortable to sleep on. It was a mattress on top of a platform type frame without a box springs. The sheets were clean although too small for the bed. So, when slept on they shifted and bunched. I liked the tall pillows. I only needed one and I usually sleep with two. My husband likes one flat pillow, so he was a bit uncomfortable. The room also had a small TV on a stand with a remote. The channels were limited. There was also a night stand between the beds. It held a lamp and phone with the time on it. A dresser/vanity with a mirror and bench was present. The final furniture was a small table with two chairs. The room was fairly large with a closet containing hangers and shelves. The safe key was tricky to use. However, my husband figured it out. The room had its own air conditioner and ceiling fan. Both of these worked well. However, the air conditioner was set high over the back entrance door. So, to adjust the temperature, my husband had to stand on something to reach the controls. The top floor room had a cathederal ceiling. The ceramic tile floor had chips in it. The room appeared clean and smelled fine. It did not have any musty or smokey smell to it. There were not any bugs in the room. There was a regular door leading to the outside balcony. The balcony contained two chairs and a table. It overlooked the center of the property and was covered. We like and enjoyed our balcony. I found the room to be somewhat dark and depressing. Our maids tried to make it more cheerful by decorating with towels and fresh flower petals on several occasions. The daily maid service in our room was good. We did tip daily.

BATHROOMS
The room bathroom contained a toilet, bathtub with shower, a sink and a mirror. It also had an outside window in the tub area. This window did open, however, it did not have a screen on it. The bathtub was clean but stained. It did not have a plug, so no bathing in it was possible. The shower worked with fluctuating pressure and temperature at times. The shower curtain wanted to blow in and stick to you when showering. The sink did not contain a plug. So, it was not too useful for shaving. The bathroom lighting was dim. The toilet did not always flush well. Overall, we found the bathroom to be basically functional. The bath amenities included bar soap, decent quality toilet paper and clean towels daily. Facial tissue, shampoo and lotion were not provided. The bath towels were in good condition. We did not always get wash cloths and/or hand towels. When requested, at the front desk, they were immediately called for and brought to us as we waited. Our bathroom was cleaned daily. The public bathrooms were off of the dining area and also served for the beach/pool area. The womens was very small with two toilets and sinks. Toilet paper, soap and paper towels were provided.

GROUNDS
I did not find the grounds, buildings or interiors to be beautiful. There were mature trees and shrubs, however, very little grass. There were poured cement sidewalks.

BEACH
Great beach, our favorite part of staying here. We are beach people. The beach is where we spend most of our time when on vacation. The ocean was clear and beautiful. It was great to swim or float in. Very few weeds and no rocks or coral. The sand was light and pretty. The beach was raked daily. We enjoyed walking on the beach. There was plenty of shade or sun to lay in. There was also plenty of canvas beach loungers for the amount of guests there at the time. An outdoor shower and foot faucet was available for rinsing on the side of the property on the wall. There were not any topless sunbathers during our stay. The hotel provided a life guard and a security guard on their beach. The security guard would not allow vendors to come onto the hotel portion of the beach to hassle the guests. You could go down to the water line if you wanted to purchase something from them. We viewed a starfish, two stingrays, and several crabs on the beach in Negril. There are also several boats offering various excursions available. There were a few different groups of beach musicians which stopped to perform for the hotel guests. They relied on tips for payment. We enjoyed all of them.

POOL
The pool was smaller in reality than it appeared in pictures. It was closed on a couple of occasions (probably for cleaning). We did not use the pool at all.

DINING
All dining takes place in one open-air area overlooking the ocean. We thought the food was very good and enjoyed all of our meals there. We are not picky eaters and like buffets. Three meals a day, buffet style, are provided plus a tea time. Breakfast was from 7:30 am to 10 am. The items usually offered were sliced melon, boiled eggs, toast and/or bagels with cream cheese and real butter, a steamed vegetable, sausage or bacon, made to order eggs/omelets, oatmeal and/or sweetbread. Lunch was from 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm. The items included rolls and real butter, one soup, two basic salads with two dressings, sliced melon, two hot vegetables, two main courses, and two desserts. Dinner was from 7 pm to 9 pm. It offered similiar choices to lunch. Main courses included many different kinds of chicken, curried goat, lasagna, beef stew , pork chops, fish and other selections. I believe that tea time was from 3 pm to 4 pm. It offered hot beverages and leftover dessert from lunch. Service ranged from poor, on occasion, to excellent, on occasion. Mostly it was okay. We did tip for adequate service. The diners themselves were quiet and orderly making for a relaxing dining experience.

BEVERAGES
We found the beverage selection for mixed drinks with alcohol to be very limited. No white rum after two days, no tequila, no pina coladas, no strawberry daquiris, no mango anything. Cold beer was available. There was lots of ice, which we appreciated. Fruit juices were also offered. Ice water was available in a large container, not bottles. We are not coffee drinkers, howerver, it was offered.

SPECIAL EVENTS
We eventually learned that a special Jamaican dinner with live music is held on Wednesday and Saturday evenings. It would have been nice to have know this prior to the event.

GUESTS
Most of the other guests staying there were from Europe. We were not able to communicate well with them. However, we enjoyed those that we were able to. We found everyone to be polite, considerate, and quiet. Most of the guests appeared to be couples with some singles and some families. There were very few children there and then only briefly.

MISC.
Our favorite things to bring on vacation are beach floaties and insulated cups with lids. Beach towels are available at the front desk for your use. You are allowed one clean towel per day when you return your used one. There is also one computer with internet in the lobby for use. I do not know the cost or time allowed.

CONCLUSION
Check out went well. We were the only ones checking out at the time. Our JTL bus picked us up in front of the lobby. It took us one hour and forty five minutes to reach the airport with various other stops. We would probably not recommend Merrils 2 to friends or family. The facilities may not be nice enough for them. However, we would consider staying there again if the price was right. We really enjoyed the beach and the food.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank jag1212
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I was booked for Merrils 3 ; when I got there ... guess what ? no room at merrils 3. I had to go to Merrils 2. The receptionist said that Merrils 3 is closing soon and the rooms were all filled. Whatever. I'm now at Merrils 2. I had to pay 18.00 US for a safe key that did'nt work. They had to get another key and mr. fixit to come up to show me how to jiggle the lock to make it open and close. Through all this I missed lunch. Thanks !
The room was fine 2 beds. clean and a good view of the dining area and the sea. Not bad. Great location on the beach, great location on the street. convinience store nearby and lots to eat on the beach. The food at Merrils is terrible. very bad. The staff is inexperienced and indifferent. No hot water one day and the water pressure is very weak. I only stayed there for 3 nights and that was quite enough.

If you're looking for a vacation to lovely Jamaica on the cheap then this is the place for you. Great beach, lots of vendors( they're very nice) lots of Jamaican home grown and plenty of gigolos. Just say a firm no if you're not interested and they will move on. All in all I love Jamaica, but I will not stay at merrils again.

Yes they charge for wifi and 1/2 the time it did'nt work. I heard complaints from some guests.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the beach are best.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ferriscros
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This was my second trip to Merrils II, but it had been 12 years since I traveled to Jamaica. We were so glad that we went back. Staff are wonderful, food was good and met a lot of great people while we were there. Don't expect a 5 star resort when you go but you will always be treated like you are at a 5 star resort.

Room Tip: Small resort no matter what room you get you are only 150 ft. from the water.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends