“DO NOT STAY HERE!!Stayed from Feb 22-March 2 2014” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gardenia Resort

The Gardenia Resort
Ranked #78 of 84 Hotels in Negril
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!Stayed from Feb 22-March 2 2014”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I'm usually an easy going person when it comes to budget hotels. However the Gardenia is a poor place to stay. I actually gave them a chance because I saw them on the Travel Channel on the show "Hotel Impossible " (their episode by the way is available on the Travel Channel website).

I made my reservation on the hotel's website. And I called a week in advance to confirm the reservation. However, when I arrived I was told that I did not have a reservation. The truth is that the lady at the front desk did not know how to use the computer to look up my reservation. She kept asking me whether I had a print out of my reservation. I told I was used their website therefore there was no need to check for third-party or to print something out.
She asked me what my rate quote was and so I gave the rate that was put on the website. (I should've given her a cheaper rate!) I reserved a king bed however she told me that was unavailable and gave me room with two double beds with the promise I'll be changed to room with a king size bed the next day. It was 8 o'clock on a Saturday night and I was not going to argue with her at that time. A guy wearing just a plain white T-shirt took me to my room and the path leading there was poorly lit. When I arrived to the room, I was in shock. The sheets were thin and dirty. The bathroom had less than a third of a roll of toilet paper and rhe toilet bowl was disgusting! There was also only one hand towel for two people and there were stains on the other towels. Oh and the tv did not work. And when I tried to sleep a glaring light outside my room made that difficult.

The next day I went to the front desk and the same lady was there! I was given the key to P103 which supposedly has a king bed. It was nothing more than two twin beds put together and yes I could feel the separation between the beds. Being right by the pool I could hear everyone's conversation who walked by as if they were in my room.
As for food their meal choices are limited, overpriced, without flavor, and the cook only started his job about two days after I arrived.
The only good thing about the place was leaving!!!

As I started out I adjust expectations based on where I stay. But basic things like cleanliness are non-negotiable.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Sun5flower

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

I went to Negril for Valentines and decided to stay across from the beach instead of on the beach. I was somewhat familiar with Gardenia location but didnt know the property. I was originally going to be in a refurb room in the back but since I was alone opted to stay upstairs by
the pool for safety. My room was 112 and it was clean and the bathroom was huge but lacked storage for supplies. There was plenty of closet space and dresser space. AC was in perfect shape and had to be turned off at nights. Housekeeping was good and always left extra towels when needed. Security was there when I came in after dark to make sure I made it to my room safely. The property itself sits back off the street which makes it quiet. Access to the beach is across the street. Tons of places to eat and hang out are in walking distance on the strip.
Front office staff was always pleasant and always helpful. Overall I think this is a nice property but the rooms truly need to be updated.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Mommacocoa66
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I were overall satisfied with our stay here. I recommend this hotel for travelers who want to see Negril and are on a budget. The hotel staff were friendly and the beach accessible if you're not shy about wandering across neighboring hotels' properties. Because it is located across the street from the beach the nightly rate is significantly lower than beachfront hotels. We were told by Richard, the hotel manager, that we could access the beach by walking through the beachfront properties across the street. We did this, but felt as if we were interloping.

The hotel was featured on the show "Hotel Impossible" through which the lobby and one or two of its 75 rooms were updated. Our room evidently wasn't, and it was in need of some updating but acceptable for the hotel's price point. One annoyance was that the ceiling light did not have a globe cover. It was just an exposed light-bulb. The other guests were a mix of foreigners and locals, and many were taking full advantage of the recreational properties of Jamaica's most famous plant. We weren't surprised, as Negril has a reputation for this and we noticed it even at the more upscale beach-front hotels. Breakfast was included with our room and was tasty, despite the long wait to be served.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bellhop-2013
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

If you like the extravagance of all-inclusive or the efficiency of three or four star American hotels, please do not come to this hotel. You will be disappointed and will be complaining. But if you can lower your expectations and get used to the local pace, you may actually enjoy it. I won't say this is for everyone. It is for flexible travelers who enjoy interaction with local people.
This is my first trip to Jamaica. I hated the hotel upon checking in because they didn't have the kitchenette room we booked. They offered a standard room to us instead. It took a long time to sort it out and I finally gave up and accepted the standard room. I didn't like the barebones room and because it overlooked the swimming pool, it was noisy that night. The second day got much better, we were moved to the kitchenette room all the way to the back of the hotel. The room is better. There is a large living dining area and a kitchen but you have to share them and also the bathroom. Although no one was really there to share with us. We started to get used to the slow local pace and understand it is the norm not only about this hotel. And we found that people are really easy going here. To access the beach, you just walk across the street and through the opposite hotels. All the hotels let us walk through their property and even let us use their beach chairs without asking.
By the 3rd day, we got to know the hotel staff so well. They were all friendly and we particularly liked Jolie and Sean. They were very helpful. So when our flight was cancelled due to the recent snow storm in the North East, we actually came back to the same hotel and stayed additional four days. We felt safe and so at home at this hotel to come back again.
So this is a hotel that you will need some get used to. If you can be flexible and do not expect anything done within half an hour, you will enjoy and relax in the hotel. The price is considerably lower than the hotels along the beach although it is only one street apart.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank AnneGao
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have stayed 3 times & I'll keep going back. The Manager, Richard Miller, is there for your every need as well as the staff . The gardens are well kept & in a way secluded. The beach is across the street where the people are always there to make you comfortable. This hotel is close to all restaurants, bars, parties on the beach & it's just a few steps away. I am going back again for another 7weeks to me I call it home away from home. I had a problem with the A/C but Mr Miller put us in another room until it was fixed it was only 1 day whenever a problem arose it was always looked after immediatly. Tthe room was always clean the towels were soft & smelled clean. I LOVE THIS PLACE>

Room Tip: I chose the top floor overlooking the big pool & it had a kitchen big livingroom/bedroom.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mmd2014
Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is the best Resort I have been to. The hot water, swimming pool, food was great. The staffs were friendly. The Housekeepers did a great job with the rooms. Ms Jodi Ann Beckford was lovely, she did a great job managing the property.

This is the best Resort!! I didn't have any problems with anything. Everything was well organized.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Krazyshen
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I am sorry to say but I wasted my hard earned money staying at this dump. The staff is very unfriendly. I couldn't even get proper WiFi signal. The hot water was barely warm. The breakfast is very poor.The amenities in the rooms are lacking. Some of the bath towels were soiled. I guess they are not even trying to attract tourists because I believe they just don't care. This is a cheap establishment trying to scam people out of money. The saying is right, you get what you pay for. People do yourself a favor, pay to stay elsewhere becuase staying at the hotel felt like punishment.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank David T

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels