“Home away from home!”

The Gardenia Resort
Ranked #79 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a lovely resort for an inexpensive vacation. Not located directly on the beach but close enough with easy beach access that it didn't matter, and without the hefty price tag charged by the hotels on the beach side of the road.

We stayed in a kitchenette room and found everything to be clean, roomy, and very comfortable. The staff was all very friendly and helpful, especially the manager, Mr. Richard Miller, who met all of our requests with a smile and immediate action. The location is quiet, set back from the road a little ways but still convenient to all the action. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle T

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We recently stayed at this resort for a relaxing getaway while I did some work. I am a travel agent and we stayed here for 4 days and 3 nights. I will break this review down in sections.

Arrival - check-in was very quick and efficient. The Manager, Richard, and I had been emailing and spoke on the phone a few times before our arrival and he made sure everything went smoothly. We were first a little upset when we pulled into the property because the first building you see appeared to be closed and no one there. Then we realized we had to drive further back to get to the actual Gardenia office. We suggested additional signage to make this more clear to other arriving guests. But once we figured it out the beautiful lady at the front desk welcomed us with a smile and took us straight to our room.

Rooms - the initial room she took us to was on the first floor. We immediately asked to be moved. I don't like ground floor rooms. There was nothing wrong with the room at all, just my preference. This request was quickly honored and we moved to an upstairs room. The room was small and basic, but VERY clean. We unpacked and changed into our beach clothes and as we were walking around the property we saw the cleaning staff cleaning other rooms that were bigger with more drawer space so we asked to move to one of those. Again, Richard was very accommodating and allowed us to upgrade to one of the rooms with a kitchenette for free. We were there during low season so I'm not sure this would be possible any other time. The new room was just as clean and had a double sink in the bathroom. Since I was traveling with my business partner this made our stay so much more comfortable.

Food - we only ate the included lunch at the property due to so many options on the beach, but it was very good. The orange juice was delicious and the ackee and saltfish with fried plantains was awesome. The barman/ waiter, Kevin always greeted us with a smile and asked if we were having a good stay and if there was anything he could do for us. We had one minor issue with the water one morning and it was fixed within 10 minutes by letting Kevin know. (see reviews for Aunty's Thrill Corner, Normas, 3 Dives, Ciao Pizza)

Pool - we never used it but it looked cool and refreshing and we saw the maintenance man cleaning it while we were there.

Grounds - the hotel itself is older and needs a little bit of a facelift, but it is beautiful and very quiet. It is on the garden side of the road and since it sits back further from the street we never heard any traffic. There was some trash on the back side of the hotel where people were throwing things beyond the fence, but this is not fault of the hotel. I walked around the entire hotel looking at different room categories and I think based on your needs for space or cooking anyone could find a room here that would be comfortable. I have stayed at all-inclusive hotels and I found this one much more personable and charming.

Beach access - the hotel is across the street from another boutique hotel, Sea Wind. We used their beach chairs and even ate dessert there one night and everyone was very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: For more space book a kitchenette room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank thesmithskc
Reviewed September 16, 2013

i stayed at the resort for 2 weeks and it was lovely...the manager was simply amazing.
he made sure everything was always ok with my stay from the day i checked-in. My room was always clean n tidy,house keeping was always there when you need them.
as i work for a hotel myself, i found that this hotel went the extra mile for its guest. I coundn't ask for anything more from them.

I will recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

Such an amazing hotel and a fantastic bunch of staff. I can't wait to book my next visit, u made this visit a special experience. Thank You for your humble service and hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank leonie f
Reviewed September 10, 2013

have been here one week ,wish I was home.From the moment we arrived the place was smelly and filthy.We have had cockroaches in our room ,,our clean towel are smeared with excrement and are subject to a daily barrage of racism and rudeness from some of the staff.English people are not welcome here. This is just the tip of the iceberg, I will be sending a full draft of our experience to the appropriate people and the media when ii get home.Anyone reading this beware , do not come to Gardina Plaza!

• Stayed: September 2013
15  Thank Carolnroy
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Great staff great location great room great pool, great bar lol simply GREAT. this is a home away from home. Located just up from Margarettaville on the garden side. The gardens are beautiful the rooms are great and the staff are family. LOVE every thing about this wonderful place. The room had too comfortable beds a full kitchen and clean bathroom. Cant ask for more. seriously the best budget place in Negril and Ive been to a few!!!!! Daily room service and they even washed my dishes for me... just cant say enough..... oh and though quiet they opened the front bar/restaurant every night no matter what. This is mentioned cos the last place I stayed not onlty advertised a bar/restaurant it was not oly closed cos of the quiet season it was boarded up!!! People and place were beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank GenuineLady247
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at the Gardenia Resort with several of my family members. This is my second stay and again we had a fantastic time. Richard the General Manager took the best care of us, he catered to our many needs he upgraded us to suite type rooms since the resort was not as busy at the time we stayed. Horashio our server for breakfast throughout our entire stay was outstanding. Being in the industry i can be very critical at times, but i could not find one fault with the staff or service. The resort is in need of a facelift, but otherwise I had a fantastic stay thanks to Richard and his team for a job well done. I look forward to staying again in 2014.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank kathy c
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you like a quiet environment with bird watching reading or just relaxation this is the perfect place for you. Richard and his friendly staff will provide you with any accommodaton you need. The pool is great also a secluded spa in the rear. the restaurant will serve your needs in any way you request. Any excursion trip you would like can be arranged from the helpful staff. The bar loacated at the front of the property is very nice with excellent beverages and helpful barteders.

Room Tip: Condo room. Up stairs
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo