“Won't stay here again”

Ranked #59 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Peterborough, Canada
“Won't stay here again”
Reviewed March 8, 2010

This is a lovely property, it really is. Unfortunetly it doesn't make up for the over all experience. I found the staf, with the exception of the gardener, to be completely unhelpful. The one and only meal we had (besides the included breakfast) was mediocre and when the bill came the prices were higher then stated on the menu!?! The "free shuttle" couldn't take more than 3 people on 6 out of the 8 days we were there, his car was to small. He was unavailable 2 days and the sub in had a van. The "free shuttle" man also scammed our friends, it was their first trip to Jamaica. He had them pay him $20US to go into the plaza and back!! I expect the taxi drivers to pull one over on them but didn't think we would need to warn and advise them on what they should pay for the trip since they were using a hotel staff member!! I must add that the hotel manager did refund their money when informed of the incident. Next we get to the rooms. Big, clean, but in need of some updating, run down looking bathrooms etc. Normally, and for the price, I wouldn't even mention that but I am. For the first 5 days if I showered very early in the morning I could get hot water. I figured this out on day 3 when I waited awhile before showering and didn't get any. There was no water pressure until the cold was turned on. On day 6 hot water ceased to exist. None for the rest of the trip, we all felt so gross and dirty. We were literally sponge bathing with the sink, it was to unbearably cold to stand under and of course there's the shaving with only cold water issue. Next and the worst part. I had cigarettes taken from the container I bring them in 2 days in a row, then I hid them. My sisters blue jeans disappeared from her room. The manager refused to beleive her staff was invovled. She actually said she figured since my sister was single she must have had a local or 2 in her room who could have taken them, gasp! She did pay to replace them in the end but absolutely would not beleive it had anything to do with the staff members so I assume they will continue to steal things. I also requested that our 3 rooms not be "cleaned" anymore but when we got back to our rooms at the end of the day they had all been entered. This hotel has a nice location and the potential to be so much better. Unfortunetly the vibe sucks, the showers suck, staff scam you and somebody is stealing. I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank katho9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
angela16
Reviewed January 29, 2010

i stayed at sunset on the cliffs for 4 weeks.what can i say the staff were very helpful always asking if i was ok.my room was clean and tidy on arrival and every day after i had my own kitchen so never sampled the food lovely sea view out of every window or i could sit outside and enjoy the beautyful sunset would defintly stay here again and have recommed it to my family and friends.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank angela16Angela16
Toronto
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I absolutely loved this friendly boutique hotel hidden away behind majestic foliage and flowered gardens. My room was very clean with king size bed, ceiling fan, ac, tv, phone, fluffy white towels in a bathroom with powerfull shower and lots of hot water. The balcony was just a few feet from the sea and dolphin watching was mesmorizing.
The large pool off the bar and restaurant was very clean and well kept. My favorite drink was a fresh blend of pineapple, banana and papaya (some add rum). On lazy days room service brought delicious breakfasts and eye popping Blue Mountain coffee.
Access to the sea was easy and snorkeling and swimming were amazing. This is my 4th visit to Sunset on the Cliffs and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I will go back again and again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank RastaSistah
New York
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I happen to stay at Sunset on the Cliff in December 2008 and must confess that for a small hotel, my stay was excellent, the staff was professional and appears well trained, the food was excellent and I am looking forward to staying there again on my next trip. I believe the staff, particularly the front desk goes above and beyond to accommodate their guest. The atmosphere is extremely friendly.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank cbrown12223
Atlanta
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I spend one week there with my husband, the rooms were ok , the sunset is to die for but the staffs were very unprofessinal. The girl at the front (michelle ) was very needy with my husband after he told her he owned his own business. She asked him for money which i found very unprofessinal, the cook very slappy . This is an okay hotel if you dont need any help from any body that works there. Minus the staffs its a kool place to chill .....I saw the setting for a wedding which i thought was nice but after i spoke to the bride and she told me that she was not happy with her services....

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank littledivaAtlanta

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels

Maine
Reviewed March 27, 2009

Wow, Sunset on the Cliffs was just what I needed, what a great spot. From the moment I got there to the moment I left I felt completely taken care of. Safe, comfortable totally relaxing. The staff was just incredible. Anything I needed they were there but not at all overbearing. My room looked right out on the ocean and I had an efficiency so I could make my coffee tea and breakfast in the morning and look out from my back porch and watch and listen to the water 100 ft away. Just incredible. It was very simple but awesome. After breakfast I would walk down to the patio area by the ocean and dive in and then tan and read for a couple of hours then walk up to the pool swim and have lunch in the outdoor dining area. In the afternoon I would either go into town and get fresh fruit vegetables, fish chicken etc and load my fridge up and make whatever meals there. Getting around was easy and Mel was especially great at getting me rides or giving advice on what to pay for what. any questions I had. The rooms are inexpensive, (cheaply priced I would say) for the value. Food and drinks were great. totally cool, there were familys, singles, couples. nice mix. I went snorkeling everyday. I recently sent friends down and they said the same thing. I booked my flight through http://www.iriejenntours.com/ and that worked out great, they picked me up at the airport in Montego Bay and provided my return. at a fraction of the other taxi cost. Jennifer Malcolm set up my whole trip and it worked out fantastic. I just gave her the approximate dates and she gave me the best accomadations and service for short money. totally worth it. I was a little hesitant about going and being burned from taxis etc. but she gave me the real inside scoop. I met the hotel owner June and she was great, friendly, down to earth and really cared about my stay there. I have sent 2 other people and they said the same. In fact I'm going back later in april to do some scuba diving and can't wait. Take my word for it. Just go.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HumanoMaine
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 12, 2009

This is my 3rd stay (21 days) here. Already signed up for 2010 (28 days). Can't say enough about this little West End gem. June is a wonderful owner & host as is the complete staff. It always amazes me even at full capacity (22 rooms) which it always is at the time of my stay, that you really don't seem run into that many people. I think it's because of it's layout & everybody is out about doing things. Others have made the same comment. It has one of the best pools in the West End...just 20ft. away from the bar & restaurant. By the way the food is GREAT!!! One must remember though it is all fresh & made to order at the time you order it.....don't be in a hurry...it's worth it!! Sunsets are incredible from your room or the bar/restaurant/pool deck!!! I go to sleep hearing the waves of the sea crashing into the cliffs & wake up the same way, beats the heck out of my clock radio waking me up at home to anything else. By the way 2010 will be the 17th vacation to Negril since '88. You think I like it? Have always stayed in the cliffs this is the 3rd property in all those years. My only regret is that I didn't find it sooner!!
See you all there Feb.1st 2010.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo