“It does the trick....”
Review of Coral Seas Cliff

Coral Seas Cliff
Ranked #59 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My sixth time to Negril, second time staying on the cliffs.

We are low maintenance people, so this place is just fine. The grounds are nice, the rooms are clean, but outdated and could use some cosmetic work, but if that does not bother you, you are good to go. Rock house is right next door, which is lovely. Buy a drink there and use their free WiFi since Sunset doesn't have it for free.

The sister property, Sunset on the Beach is nice, and is the last hotel on the strip, which means it is quiet, and very close to town center so you can easily go to HiLo or Cambio from there via 10 minute walk. This trip we split our time staying on the cliffs and staying on the beach. A nice way to visit Negril.

Quiet place, with breakfast (not buffet) included. The coffee is the worst I've had in Jamaica (didn't think it was possible to have a bad cup of coffee inJamaica, but apparently it is). But the breakfast is nice.

I think every room has a view of the cliffs and ocean, which obviously is a great deal for the price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Donna W

Reviewed January 16, 2013

This Oceanfront resort is really quite amazing considering the cost per night. It is basic BUT clean. THe cliffs views are fantastic. We watched dolphins playing in the sea as we ate lunch at their restaurant. The staff are extremely friendly. The grounds are patrolled by security day and night. You get a daily shuttle to their sister hotel on Seven Mile beach and can use their facilities also.
The restaurant is good and provides a lovely view of the sea.
We paid $89.00 u.s. per night per room (not per person) for a full breakfast included.
Terrific price for this place. I will return.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper unit for better views, although all rooms are oceanfront.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lindabean58
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We recently took our Honeymoon to Negril on the suggestion of a family member who visits yearly. He suggested Sunset on the Cliffs. The excellent thing about this Hotel is that it is quiet, safe, and you have a free shuttle that will take you back to the beach in the late morning and will take you back mid afternoon.

We did pay extra for a limited all inclusive. Could we have saved some money by eating out at food stands, sure, but it was so enjoyable to not have to worry about going grocery shopping and the rum punch was great.

This is NOT a luxury resort. BUT. We were more than pleased with our stay at Sunset on the Cliffs. Bonus - They have a diving platform near the cliffs. The pool was clean and the meals were nice. We stayed a week, so we did get to know the staff well. They went out of their way to make our trip great. The papaya was fantastic!

We had A/C in our room. There is some bleed-over noise. We were right under the dining balcony and heard spoons and other items dropped above, but it didn't bother us.

If you venture to the beach, stay on the Hotel's property. Security will watch out for you and chase away the hustlers. :) What an excellent, relaxing place!

The only complaint we had was regarding the bed and pillows. The bed was iffy, but bring pillows or ask for an extra. They were super flat and we both had neck aches from the pillows.

Besides the bed and pillows, it was an excellent home base for us and I would love to return!

Room Tip: Room 605 is great with an amazing view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank musedone
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel is at a great location. Unfortunately the customer service needs some work. I found the staff, with the exception of the groundskeeper (Melvin), needs to be trained on hospitality. We booked three rooms at only 1 room was ready at check in time at 4pm. When we complained about this the manager check on the other two rooms and notified us that they are ready. But we later found out that one of the rooms had dirty sheets and comforter which had to be replaced later that night when we complained. No towels were in room and we had to wait hours to receive towels after requesting them. The breakfast was very slow took over an hour to receive meal. I think this hotel has great potential if they just work on the basics of hospitality. The location was great and we enjoyed our time jumping off of the cliff into the ocean and hanging by the pool. There are taxis readily available in front of the hotel that can take you to the square and/or beach for only ~$1US ($100JA) each person. Walking distance to nice restaurants like the push cart. So I would go here again if this hotel improves on the basics!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank IslandBoyDM
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Let me start this review by pointing out the obvious.....SSOTC is a budget property. However, it is not budget in a bad way!

First, when I booked this property through booking dot com I couldn't believe the price, which included tax and full breakfast. However, the hotel gladly honored the reservation, and, upon check-in upgraded me to one of the nicest rooms on the property, an oceanfront king-bedded unit with great balcony, fridge, cold ac, clean bathroom, plenty of closet and dresser space and a reasonably firm bed. Oh, and about 800 square feet and a vaulted ceiling with ceiling fan to boot! I have no complaints about the room. Since it is a second floor room, you have to wait anywhere from two to five minutes before the hot water makes its way up. No shortage of hot water, the water pressure wasn't the greatest, but was more than serviceable. The only small issue is the size of the room safe. It is too small to fit a 10" netbook. In fact, this is the smallest room safe I have seen! The towels were replaced as requested, there WAS a bathmat and, contrary to others, you can get a beach towel at either property by showing your towel card, no worries.

I took my breakfasts and one very late lunch on the property. There is one restaurant, which, contrary to prior reviews is not overpriced. It has typical prices for Negril hotel food. The breakfasts were OK, with the callaloo, cheese and bacon omelet being my favorite. Sometimes the omelets were a bit overcooked, but that isn't terribly uncommon in Negril. Skip the continental breakfast, small portions of fruit, 1/2 of a piece of toast....feh....my late lunch was curry chicken and it was fine. The portion was very large.

The staff is what helps make this property a bit special. The bar/restaurant staff are friendly, competent and fun. Tip of the hat to Millicent, TracyAnne, Clevon and KITWAN!! The drinks are priced fairly for a hotel property in Negril.

Security is tight. There was always a guard on duty, both night and day. The grounds are very well maintained.

The swimming pool is both very large and VERY deep for Negril. And, spotlessly clean. It could use a fresh coat of bottom paint, but it doesn't effect your enjoyment. Plenty of chairs and tables poolside.

The hotel is located upon the cliffs of the WestEnd. There is a very easy entry/exit to the ocean here and a very tall and very scary jumping platform! Cliff jumping is a long-time tradition in Negril, and I always enter the ocean this way! Snorkeling is good here as well. If you find a pair of vintage FosterGrant's on the bottom of the ocean by the jumping tower...those are MINE!!! LOL!

There is a shuttle to the sister property, Sunset on the Beach, but it only leaves once per day. It was easier for me just to hail a cab when it was convenient for me. You are free to use the facilities at the sister property, and some of the bar/restaurant staff rotate between the two. The sister property has a fine beach location, but is usually quite a bit more expensive.

The WestEnd of Negril is a very relaxed area, and this hotel fits in well. It is not a tiny property, but it is not big, by any means. Actually, to my tastes, it was just the right size. Many people who stay here are quite active so that even when the hotel is above 50 percent capacity, you may not see any other guests, other than at breakfast. Perfect for me, but if you are looking for a vibrant social scene....this isn't your hotel. If you are looking for laid back, you've come to the right place.

In conclusion, if you are considering staying here, and are shopping by price, I can't imagine doing much better. I will gladly return.

Any questions or comments, feel free to PM me!

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms oceanfront are the best. Room 708 would be a great choice, although the breakfast se...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank DepartSTL
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Vacations are very personal, but basic good standards will always share general agreement.
Sunset on the Cliffs, was for me, a great value, relative to its more noted neighbors,
but lacked nothing in having good rooms with excellent cliff-side, ocean view private patio, a
decent size bathroom, with all the expected amenities (i.e. hot water, cable t.v, air conditioning).

An charming elevated pool, next to a decent bar and restaurant, overlooks the cliff side,
with many private "chill-spots". This is a wonderful hotel if you like quiet, snorkeling,
and cliff jumping.
Staff was adequate, grounds-keeper very helpful

Room Tip: Second Floor rooms, facing the cliffs and Caribbean sea.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have stayed hear 10 times and these are the wrong pictures so be wear.its nice and clean pool is nice.its a little out dated but dependes on what you are looking for.good location on the cliffs.rooms need updating.the grounds and gardens are nice.people very helpfull and nice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo