“Nice place, good value”

Ranked #60 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Sunset on the Cliffs - November 2007

Getting There...
We sandwiched this trip between two weddings we had to attend, so we had to fly US Airways out of Pittsburgh this time - 7am flight to Charlotte and then connect to MBJ. Got a bump up front for us all from my FF status (have to remember this next time I complain about business travel) and the flight was smooth.... Arrived at MBJ and couldn't believe the changes - I'm one of those who misses getting off the plane on the tarmac and getting smacked with the heat :) Long walk to immigration and a minimal wait, but there was a bit of glitch with baggage - must've came in on a belt other than where posted. Finally got the bags and jumped in a GIANT line for customs (was never like that in the "old days"). Took about 45 minutes to clear customs and get outside to catch our ride. We booked the king/queen thing through onestop, but I really wasn't interested in the stretch limo thing - told 'em a van would be fine. Apparently the transportion "powers-that-be" in Jamaica stopped listening after "really wasn't interested in the stretch limo" and never heard "a van would be fine". Booo.... no ride at the airport. Fortunately the onestop guy in the arrivals area was able to reach Winston and we FINALLY got a ride. We had paid up front for trans, so catching a cab was out of the question... next trip I'll just score transpo outside the airport - there were plenty of taxis and I'm sure we could've got a good deal. Took us longer than usual to get to Negril as there was construction in MoBay and traffic was brutal - I thought we'd be spared traveling on Sunday but no such luck. Arrived at SOTC late afternoon and started to wind down...

The Hotel...
Checked in quickly and met the new owner, who personally checked that our room was ready and off we went. The rooms are basic, but comfortable - two double beds, large bathroom, and a VERY large area just inside the door of our room that we affectionately called "the garage" as all our snorkeling gear/sandals/misc junk seemed to collect there (just like at home). Nice patio with table & chairs with an awesome view of the sea... Our room did not have a chain on the main door, but did on the patio door - no big deal after the initial "ooh boy... don't know about this" thoughts... Our safe could not be opened, so it was basically unusable the whole trip, which also ended up being no big deal. Light fixtures were just bare bulbs, but I'm sure that will soon change as the new owner continues touching things up... I'll also suggest they get more substantial curtains in the room... what's there is VERY sheer...

Restaurant/Food
We booked AI with the thought that we would probably do breakfast/lunch at the hotel and then wander out for dinner in the evening. Rates were reasonable enough that we wouldn't feel guilty spending for AI and then spending again for meals off property. Oh well... the best laid plans.... we ended up venturing out for lunch twice (more on that later) and took the rest of our meals at the hotel - we really liked being able to order off a menu and the food was pretty good. We did stop at Erica's on the way back from Ricks one night, but our kiddo wasn't feeling well and we ended up back at the hotel. Breakfasts were great and the service was very good. I don't think we had one bad thing to eat there... yes, everything was good. I wasn't a big fan of their jerk chicken, but that's just me - it was OK, just different than what I like.

The Bar
OK... my home away from home... had my bubba mug and always kept it full with something cold. Bartenders were friendly and made all my favorites, so I was a happy camper. We had the usual "out of bananas" here and there, but no big deal - just drank something else. It was off-season, so we expected to run into "sorry, we're out of..." situations. The bar area was nice, with a great view of the sea and the sunsets (not much this trip - lotsa clouds in the evening). There was an area by the bar that would be perfect for a small band (hint hint) during the busier times of the year.

Cliffs/Swimming/Pool
We had spent some time in the sea the first few days, but then it kicked up and we retreated to the pool. While we were there the diving platform was being built, so we didn't get a chance to try that - did various spots on the cliffs around the cove instead. Did a bit of snorkeling, but didn't get too far around the end of the cove before seing a big jellyfish (basketball-sized!), so we came back around into the cove. The sea wasn't that calm so we couldn't get too close to the cliffs. The pool was great - always clean, nice temp, and it has a ledge all around it that made a nice spot to sit and down the adult beverages.

General Stuff
Like I've said in some of my other reviews, the vibe of any resort is driven by the guests that are there... for most of our trip it seemed like we were the only people there, so we had the place to ourselves. We weren't looking for mad partying this trip, so that suited us just fine. We did chat with June (new owner) and heard about her plans for the hotel - and I would defintely say we'd like to go back to check things out after she's had some time. All the "this place would be great if..." things my wife and I talked about were actually things that June was planning. We did walk down to 3 Dives for lunch one day, and - quite honestly - I wasn't thrilled with the food. I thought the sauce was WAY too salty and just didn't seem the same as last time we were there a few years ago. Another day we cabbed down to Bourbon Beach for a late lunch, which my son & I really enjoyed (too spicy for mom!). I had the opportunity to corner the chef to quiz him on jerk chicken (I've been working on my recipe for over a year now), but he was not giving anything up! I told him what I do and the best I could get was "you're on the right track"... that works for me! After Bourbon Beach we walked over to Times Square for all of about 2 minutes - not our thing, and then cabbed it back to SOTC.

I will say that this trip there were some VERY aggressive vendors/bar owners up on the cliff road... We're used to a little pressure, but a polite "no thanks" has always been sufficient.... I understand it was off-season, but some pushed a bit too hard. Nothing to do with the hotel, so I'll save my comments for a forum thread some day....

Summary
Back to hotel.... we enjoyed our visit and would definitely go back again. Sure, the rooms are basic, but we didn't spend a lot of time there. The wife and I commented that it would be great to have a bunch of tables/chairs/umbrellas/etc down by the cliffs, which seeing the new website has already happened. We have stayed at many resorts in Jamaica including GLN, San Souci, Beaches, Hedonism, Starfish, and SATP, and now we're adding Sunset on the Cliffs to our "will return" list. Our family gives it 3 thumbs up!!

Any questions, feel free to ask....

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank huds85

Reviewed August 23, 2007

I've been going to Negril since '89. Missed 4 years & stayed at the same place (2 properties south of the Coral Seas) every time. Ivan took care of that property & they did'nt rebuild leaving me to make a change. Now I used to past the Coarl Seas every day on my way to beach but never checked it out. After talking to a freind who lives there he told me to try it. What a wonderful surprise. My only regret...I wish I found this little gem sooner! I love this place, I'm a cliff person for it's low keyed, & spectaclor sunsets! The staff is great, you need it they'll get it. Stayed 3 weeks. Love it so much...I'm booked for next year! Never booked in advance in the past.

3  Thank jaka26
Reviewed July 17, 2007

I spent four nights at Coral Seas Cliffs after spending three nights at Coral Seas Garden and here is my impression:

positives: right on the cliffs, lovely view from room, room had comfortable beds, nice patio, nice swimming pool, easy sea access, could see dolphins more than once!

negatives: the food was not as good as it was at Coral Seas Garden..mostly hit and miss..not good if you are on the AI plan. The air conditioner blew but did not work at all. And because of weddings and other groups, as a single traveler, felt shunted to the side. It may be a lovely wedding and/or group location, but would advise single travelers unless they don't mind being told to go to another one of their sister resorts while the activities are going on and shunted to the side, to go elsewhere.

I enjoyed parts of my stay, but Negril is filled with hotels, so would not stay here again. Would come to visit and get a red stripe and swim...but to stay, no, sorry.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
9  Thank Negrilah0lic
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Coral Seas was a good value. Not five star, but for the week we were there (Christmas-New Years) it was a great value. We took the shuttle to the beach, hung aroiund the cliffs and snorkled every day. Had a beautful sunset every night on our porch. It was mostly clean, the maids were very friendly, and my fiance made best friends with the gardener. We had nice cold AC for at night. I woudl recommend this hotel to those traveling on a budget. But if you are going at another time of year....for a little bit more money you could stay at Rockhouse just doiwn the road, now that is 5 stars!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank off2negril
Reviewed March 20, 2007

This is a lovely hotel up in the SeaCliff area. It was a good value for me at $100 per night with food and drinks for a single room. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Cleaned the rooms daily, food service was fast and cheerful. The pool is very clean and maintained by the staff. Even the gardeners were very helpful. The rooms all have safes which I signed up for to store my passport and travelers checks. They ask you to sign a credit card slip, follow the advice about not losing the key(s). It's $100 american. At one point I thought I lost it but with the help of the maid staff recovered it. One of our daytime staff Roxi (good person and worker btw) claimed the hotel was full, yet it seemed very uncrowded. The provide as a service travel to the beach version of Coral Sea. You can eat at all three venues with ease. I preferred the relaxing time at the Cliff cite. I took lots of very lovely pictures. It seems you can get around the Negril area in very inexpensive taxis. I believer if you stay here and you will be happy. I plan to return next year to this hotel for the CHNY festival and other good times I had. One other tip I used the Scoia bank atm to get Jamacian dollars and it turned out to be the best exchange rate of the trip for me.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank happydazeSC
Reviewed January 14, 2007

Transferred to the Coral Seas Cliffs after a nightmare experience at a hotel just along the road. Good clean basic accommodation, food not too great but plenty of good restaurants locally. Staff were friendly and helpful, pool was clean and the views were spectacular. Would certainly stay again if on a tight budget.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SB,Kent
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I have stayed at Coral Seas on the Cliff 3 or 4 times. I have
enjoyed it very much. My experience was above average.
I thought it was quiet and relaxing. I particularly liked the
location and the rooms i had were clean and updated.
If I had to complain about anything it would be the number
of cats on the property. Entirely too many, especially considering I am deathly afraid of them. However to remedy that I always
ask for a room on the second level, which helps. I thought
the staff was extreamly accomodating, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled with friends