“It was all Irie” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Canada
“It was all Irie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Well, what can I say, a great deal, nice staff, everything in the room was working and comfortable, lots of rest and relaxation, stayed at over 15 hotels in Negril, and have to say for the price , it would be hard to beat, ask for a room in the back of the property like others have said

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank duffus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

5 of us stayed at Sunset on the Beach from February 6th to February 14.

We were shown to two rooms downstairs which were cleaned daily and were nice and spacious! The beds are firm, which helped me sleep like a baby! Some say the bottom rooms are noisy, but we didn't encounter that at all.

Each morning, we had breakfast, which was excellent, in the restaurant then went to lay on the beach chairs that Ricardo had already set out for us. EXCELLENT SERVICE. The staff would always say hello when passing as well. Compared to other hotels along the beach, Sunset had the biggest beach by far, with plenty of areas to get away from the sun.

If you wanted to go on an excursion, you simply have to ask. Ricardo, a security guard, always hooked us up with the best deals! He was absolutely fabulous! There was plenty to do during our stay, and were never bored. The ladies in the spa were great and really friendly! The stayed open extra late to braid my friends hair. Sunset is a 5 minute walk away from the town.

I greatly recommend this hotel!! Friend of ours have been staying here for the past 5 years and won't go anywhere else!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cassidy C
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Janine and the gang really took care of us AGAIN this trip. This year I took a total of 13 ladies to Jamaica for our annual DIVA Trip to JA!. All the ladies loved the accomadations. The hotel really looks good. They got in a new pool table while we were there. It is beautiful. We had our annual party at the bar. I can never say enough good things about this hotel. If you want a nice, clean and relaxing place to chill, you have found your paradise. I will be posting pictures that we took while there. Again, this is my home away from home. Thanks everyone for everything. We will be back soon. I miss the good sleep I got on that bed. The beds to me are so comfortable. I got some sound sleep. Not sure about my sister, she was my roomie and I know I snore. LOL

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. If you dont want to hear all the folks at the pool, then get a front room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kenneygirl
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

On arrival I was told that the room I had confirmed,in writing was,now occupied. I was also told that for sure I would get an upstairs,room & they were trying to put me downstairs were there is more noise. I had to argue with them and heard a lot of silly excuses but finally they did the right thing. Beware their booking system is manual and it would appear that they will do last minute shuffling to suit their needs not yours. It boils down to intent and will they honor their commitments?

Room Tip: Get them to commit in writing with a guarantee.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank J0hn_fr0m_Calif0rnia
Hopewell, Hanover, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

A very nice and relaxing place to get away from all work and feel at home,I enjoy my stay here and will come back again whenever i need somewhere to relax and have a peace of mine.Its close to the beach and also to the nerby town its a nice hotel and it has nice staff thanks again and will continue supporting you.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Keniel
Phila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

AWFUL No SWIMMING pool no activities onsite oh except Karaoke.Old appliances that didnt work..Could only get food at breakfast lunch and dinner stove in room sucked.The workers worked hard,not their fault that the rooms were a Hot mess.The best part its on the beach.If changes were madeand updated.Only I blender,Im not a drinker so it was frustrsting.WHO DOESNT SERVE COFFEE BEFORE BREAKFAST?THIS PLACE there were almost 60 f'olks in group and It was plain unacceptable
.people came off the beach onto the Property the workers were nice.One bar one blender

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank shay49
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! I haven't visited JA in 17 yrs (raising family, school, & work) & I waited for this? First, I repeatedly requested a face to face with June (owner). Never got it! Think she didn't want to hear what I had to say? So, guess I'll have to say it here: THE MOST HORRIBLE VACATION EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD (NOT JUST IN JAMAICA BUT ANYWHERE)! I've never been anywhere where I was afraid to step in the tub or had to consider sleeping in my clothes (No, I'm not kidding!) But thank God for the staff (they were the ONLY ones who made our stay bearable).
In a nutshell: old, musty, run down rooms, & our bathroom smelled like urine! Initially no hot water & then just a trickle that went from scalding to icy continually flip flopping w/o warning. Dirty sheets and bedspreads, mildew/mold spots on the pillows, hard beds.. Holes in the tile surrounding the shower head. Filthy grout. Ants, ants, ants and general all around dirtiness!
I demanded clean sheets/bedspreads & a change of pillows! Staff worked hours to fix hot water situation, but we only got what you read earlier. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? And still no face to face or apology from owner (June Romeo). We turned down an offer of change to sister hotel (The Cliffs) b/c it really wasn't any better...plus it was too far away, not on the beach, & we'd be at their mercy for shuttle service back and forth. Still no face to face or apology from owner June.
FALSE ADVERTISING! ALL INCLUSIVE MEANS JUST THAT...ALL INCLUSIVE! 3 meals random start & stop times. Only one skimpy plate per customer breakfast & dinner. Same old 3 menu choices for lunch daily. Trip companion asked for a cup of coffee after breakfast was over, she was told she'd have to pay $1.50 US. What??? I even understand paying $1 US for bottled water, but damn...We never felt satisfied or full. Did I mention we had to share tiny cups of salad dressing ("Because customers waste," we were told)? No regular tea, salad forks instead of dinner forks. Dirty drinking glasses. We poured our own juice (into tiny OJ glasses) out of jugs set on the table! Cheap butter tasted like lard! Box mix cakes for dessert. Yup, for real! Shortages abounded! And don't even get me started on the alcoholic beverages...nothing ever tasted like it was supposed to, "We ran out of tequila" (2 days in a row?) Stray cat & 2-3 dogs roaming around restaurant & beach ALL THE TIME! Rodent catchers? And still no June, still no June.
The smell of nearby ganja in the air from guests & locals (while we're eating meals, on the beach, in our room, etc.). Only one night of activity (Karaoke, fire eater). All other activities (except for the tired boom box at the bar) were off site and at our expense! No 24 hrs. lobby desk, room service, window openers (besides my fingers), hair dryers, gift shop, or newsstand as advertised, And still no June.
Some problems could be easily and inexpensively solved: a couple gallons of paint, wall plates for the light switches and electrical sockets, THOROUGH CLEANING, news sheets/towels, irons, $10 alarm clocks & working telephones in each room, THOROUGH CLEANING, tile repair, Manager that cares (yes, she was visible, but did not/would not address our concerns). THOROUGH CLEANING. And still no June.
Much respect, sympathy, & prayers go out to the staff. The way we witnessed June (on several occasions) speaking to you (in front of guests) was disgraceful! I hope you find better jobs elsewhere if that's what you want. Can't remember all your names (I'm sorry), but you all made our 6 night stay more tolerable. Ricardo, much love, baby! Any place would be happy to employ you! Thank you also to maintenance & the lady who cleaned our room. The beach was great. The loungers were old and very dirty.
Alright, I'm done. Yes, I read the reviews (too late to change my reservation). They were all over the place. TAKE THIS ONE AS ACCURATE & TRUE. I GAIN NOTHING BY TELLING LIES! I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN!! I also plan to report to the Jamaican Tourism Board. AND STILL NO JUNE...Maybe she went back to Baltimore (which wouldn't be such a bad thing).

Room Tip: If there were any such rooms, I never saw them.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank Sydney W

Travelers are raving about these Negril hotels