“Inexpensive relaxing getaway”

Ranked #47 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Raritan, New Jersey
“Inexpensive relaxing getaway”
Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

We truly enjoyed ourselves while staying at the Yoga Centre. You can't go wrong for the money. The grounds are well maintained and secure. The breakfasts were very good (especially the lemongrass tea). My only complaint was the noise directly outside the Casa 1- the kitchen is located right next to the bedroom, and the kitchen staff and housekeeping begin services around 7:30 or so. You can hear laughing or chatter which kept me awake a few times. Since there is a beautiful breeze in the evening, air conditioning was never needed. We would definitely stay here again, we would just stay in a different room.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank alimen831
NegrilYoga, Owner at Negril Yoga Centre, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for the kindness, we at Negril Yoga Center are proud that you chose to visit us at our little slice of paradise and we do hope you will come again! Our staff works very hard and often long hours to provide the best experience they can offer to our guest. Morning is a busy time for staff they have many responsibilities to get ready for the day activities and the guests, often times before breakfast. We hope this will not hinder your decision to return to visit us again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Noise, noise, noise!
I am quite surprised by the numerous positive reviews that I have seen posted here. I have traveled extensively around the world for many years and this was one of the worst places I've ever stayed. The noise alone makes the place a disaster. Most of the walls of the rooms are paper thin and made of wood. Because of this, the substantial noise coming from the busy road outside can be heard from every room on the grounds at all hours of the day. Additionally, most of the time late in the evening there is super loud music blaring away from nearby establishments, oftentimes until 3:00 AM!
I would strongly advise you to stay away from the Negril yoga center and seek accommodation at one of the many hotels across the street at essentially the same price, right on the beach. That’s what I did after staying at the yoga center for couple of miserable days; I moved to a hotel and really enjoyed my time in Jamaica.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
14 Thank Patrick D
Greetings Traveler, Negril Yoga Center has been operating for 30+ years in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Negril, Jamaica. Our guests thrive on the “Jamaican Culture” which is a laid back, no worries attitude and music is a very large expression of our cultural for those who live here. Perhaps during your stay there was a cultural festival of some sort that may have escalated the music. Rest assure there are quite times in Negril that are not to be missed. Our property was built to maintain the environment and existing surroundings. We consider ourselves to be eco-friendly and unfortunately we do not have the luxury accommodations other properties have to offer. Negril Yoga Center supports a minimalist retreat where simplicity and comfort abounds. We hope that you enjoyed all Jamaica has to offer and we do hope you visit our beautiful country again soon!
florida
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I loved the atmosphere of this place. Very pretty with lots of nice plants in the compound. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, with a special mention to Sicine who was the receptionist. There was yoga in the morning which for me was an added bonus. It's also close to Negril town, about a 5 minute walk and the beach was just across the street. I picked a room with just a fan, no AC, as I was on a bit of a budget, and was initially a little worried about the possible heat inslde, but it turns out the nights were cool in this month of April and was glad that a thick bed cover was also available apart from the top sheet. The shared bathroom was very clean and well maintained. This accommodation is a really good value for your money in Negril and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank joastillero
Thank you for the kind words…we are very proud of our “little oasis” and we appreciate you as our guest. Looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to beautiful Negril.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I go to Jamaica every four months. It is a deeply spiritual place that fills me up deeply every time i return. For the last several trips, i have stayed at the Negril Yoga Centre, and i will never stay at any other hotel again. If i couldn't stay there, then i would probably go visit another island - that's how central the experience at the Yoga Center is to my trips to Jamaica.

If you are looking for a real Negril experience, if staying shut up in a resort doesn't sound much like international travel to you, and if you are visiting Jamaica to experience what makes this island special, then the Yoga Centre is your place.

Every time i've gone, the Yoga Centre becomes my villiage, my neighborhood - no matter the cast of characters who happen to be lodging there at the time. It is a real spiritual, soulful place where you instantly feel at home. The accomodations are not fancy, but they are beautiful, clean, and it feels like you're surrounded by your extended Jamaican family. The staff are amazing, kind and warm and super helpful. They leave you alone to spend your days and nights as you wish with whom you wish, but as soon as you need anything they are right there. I feel very, very safe with the level of security on site and overnight. The food is home-cooked and full of love. The rooms are simple, charming, clean, and perfectly adequate. You didn't come to Jamaica to watch tv, right?

Bring an alarm clock and, if you must, a laptop. They have fast wifi. I have never needed or wanted AC, so i think that's an easy way to save your money.

I use my "Jamaican uncle" Ashton Pitt for all my driving needs including airport transfers and excursions: 1-876-376-2174 (JA cell) artconcepent.tours@yahoo.com He picks me up and drops me off right at the gate of the Yoga Cenre.

This is a blessed place. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
OneLove,
Julia

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank JuliaOneLove93
NegrilYoga, Front Office Manager at Negril Yoga Centre, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Hello Julia,
Thank you for your kind words. We are very proud to have you as our guest and staying with us time after time.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We had originally planned to spend just three days in Negril at the Yoga Center and five days in Montego Bay. After spending landing in MoBay and spending one night there, we quickly revised our vacation to stay at the Yoga Center for the majority of our eight day trip. I'm an active yoga practitioner, but you don't need to like yoga at all to love this place. Beautiful grounds, spacious rooms, and excellent service. They only offer one class daily at 9:30 am - a very basic one hour Iyengar class. The studio space is left open the rest of the day so you can easily practice on your own. They have a full menu to order from (breakfast and lunch), and we tried the majority of what was offered. The food was above average, and the prices were exactly what you'd pay almost anywhere in the U.S. (I live in NYC) - suffice it to say, no savings there. The beach is located directly across the street, and the Center will loan you a beach towel. They also have daily maid service, which is a huge treat when staying at a guesthouse. The only downside for us was the complete lack of water pressure in the bathroom. Non-flushing toilets and just a very fine mist of water to shower in. After a day or two, you just get used to it. I recommend the Yoga Center for people traveling alone, friends, families, couples - everyone! Very safe environment (they have a security guard at night) and a community atmosphere.

Room Tip: Casa one and two are closer to the street so they're a bit noisy.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PandasNotRobots
Hello Pandas,
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We are happy to know you had a wonderful time.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Thank you Trip Advisor for posting beautiful photos of one of my favorite places on earth, the Negril Yoga Centre. When I can't get to visit Negril, I look at your photos and remember the most pleasant and tranquil times at the Yoga Centre, the yoga, the delicious food, the charm of the rooms, and the most friendly and caring staff. Negril Yoga Centre is truely a paradise on earth, whose essence stays with you long after you ride the plane back home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank MelDavis04
NegrilYoga, Owner at Negril Yoga Centre, responded to this review, March 22, 2012
We at Negril Yoga Center appreciate you being our guest and we all look forward to your speedy return to Negril to visit us again!!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 29, 2012

After hours of researching accommodation choices in Negril, I decided to book at the Negril Yoga Centre for a three day stay in Feb 2012. First let me say that it is not necessary to practice Yoga (or even want to do Yoga) to stay at the Centre. Although Yoga Classes are available but there is no pressure to attend. You are free to do whatever you want. I cannot comment on the quality of the classes as I didn’t attend any. Booking is easy through the website and a reply was quickly sent to all of my queries. The Centre is located at the eastern end of the resort section of 7 Mile Beach, Negril. It is about a 10 min walk to the town of Negril. Not directly on the beach, the Yoga Centre is across the road from the beach, which may be accessed via the resort across the street (aptly named Sunset on the Beach). The Yoga Centre is a collection of small cabins, some with shared washrooms, a communal kitchen, a catered kitchen, a section with shaded hammocks all surrounded in a lush garden setting.

We were two adults in my party and we stayed at Casa Blanca 3. Our cabin was very clean and the staff extremely friendly and kind to us during our stay. Sheets and pillows were soft and comfortable. It was like being with family. There were some issues that I feel should be mentioned - the first being the lack of water pressure in the shower – now I must say that I have lived in much more primitive situations, but the pressure was so poor that I could not wash my long hair easily. This may be a concern for some people, my recommendation would be to have an early morning shower before any one else rises, which does improve the water pressure to a satisfactory level. The second issue was the noise levels. Although the Yoga Centre itself is peaceful, the surrounding neighbours are not and the pounding of drums and blaring of music were heard until 0230 hrs in the morning. If you are a light sleeper, I advise you to bring good ear plugs. No phone, no TV, no radio - but that is great for a person who wants to unplug from a busy life. Lastly, there was no air conditioning although we found that the fan in the room did more than enough to keep us cool. I would like to emphasize that we departed Ottawa (Canada) in the dead of winter, and we found the nights cool enough to sleep without air conditioning. So do not let this deter you, open the shutters in the evening and let the breeze in.

Now that I have mentioned the negative aspects, let me point out the positives: the workers there are amazing. Everyone is friendly and helpful. You will definitely feel at home and safe. I learnt how to make lemon grass tea (none grows where I live). There is a watchman at the Yoga Centre all night long and a watchdog, so no worries about violent crime. The gardens are beautiful – lush trees, palms, fragrant blossoms – which invite colourful birds and butterflies. People who go there are super friendly and provide you with insight into the area and the culture. And the food is absolutely amazing, I cannot say enough good about how healthy and delicious it was! We ate delightful local food: akee, calaloo, and cho-cho as well as the more familiar, such as grilled cheese. Another bonus is that you will be eating at your own little patio under a brilliant azure sky surrounded by gardens. Plus it is just across the road from one of the best beaches in the Caribbean, where you can walk for miles in the white silky sand. It is a rustic experience, that is true, but very authentic. If you are not the type needing to be pampered hand over foot and can enjoy basic amenities provided by friendly and smiling people, then you might like looking into staying at the Negril Yoga Centre.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rubyrosebuds
Hello Lcol,
Thank you for your review and also for staying with us. We found out there was a leak under ground causing the water pressure to be low, we had that issue fixed and it's back to normal now.

We do not have a phone in the room, if you request we will rent you one for your entire stay. No TV, No Radio, No Clock. We want you to relax and be unplugged from you busy life and be more relax on your vacation. We hope to see you again soon.