“pas sympa, bruillant”

Ranked #29 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Paris, France
“pas sympa, bruillant”
Reviewed February 19, 2011

the owner is just interested in your money and not very pleasant. The local staff is nice.

You have to wait more than an hour for a breakfast... if they accept to serve you.

The rooms are noisy and you feel like being in New York because of the traffic noise.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
Ok, here's the real story. These were 4 young folks from France, mid 20's, who booked 2 rooms for 15 nights. I agreed to accept 4 night deposit, with the balance due on arrival. This is a 30 night booking for my small hotel. They arrived at 2 in the morning, so I said we can take care of business tomorrow. Next day, one person said he was very sensitive to noise, so I moved them to different room. I bought 2 new beds to replace the king, since they would be there for 2 weeks. Later in the day, I asked to settle up for the rooms, they informed that they had met some Italians and have to go to Ocho Rios in a few days. I told them that I turned down other request to honor their booking, and asked them to reconsider. Sorry, but we are shooting a film, and must go to Ocho Rios, we like it here, but we must meet our friends there. Negril is a small town, turns out they moved up the road to a cheaper place.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
New Jersey
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I've traveled to Negril every winter for the past 20 years and stayed at various places on the cliffs, mainly the Blue Cave Castle. I've had many friends who have stayed HSH who loved it. I've visited and eaten and drank there many times. This was my first year staying at Home Sweet Home and I found it ... sweet! Our room was as nice as any we've stayed in. Not for those looking for upscale accommodations and snap-to service. This is real Jamaica - a little funky, slow and relaxed.

cloquet
Reviewed February 16, 2011

This is our third stay at HSH and each time gets better. Rooms clean, staff pleasant and upbeat. Charlie was on hand this visit and kept busy tending to the gardens, repairing window screenings etc. Snorkeling was great, breakfast was great, calaloo omelet, banana pancakes. Friends brought their instruments and vocals and we had quite a few jam sessions with Charlie.
We have finally found our Jamaica Home after losing Drumville Cove, it even has a giggle pool by the ladder leading into the ocean!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Ashland, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Located on the west end of Negril- I love the relaxed, kicked back vibe of the cliffs. And Home Sweet Home is my choice destination in Jamaica. Host/ owner Charlie provides a wonderful atmosphere- he's very laid back and projects an 'all is good' vibe. Plus, he's a pretty good gutarist- so, all you musisian types, make sure and pack that string instrument because you don't want to miss jammin' w/ Charlie!! The staff was a real treat. Terry's Jamaican breakfasts were outstanding. Somehow there is nothing better then a cup or two of Blue Mountain Coffee served by Sycamore and then treated to a leasurely, casual meal. Dinner there was also great- altough there are a number of nice spots within walking distance. The rooms were clean and roomy.
Both my wife and I love to snorkle and this area on the clffs provided some great scenery- lots of fish and crystal clear water.
Normally, we tend to go to the island every 2-3 years, however, we are talking about an every year vaca at Home Sweet Home.

new brunswick, nj
Reviewed February 12, 2011

nice hotel. great location, perfect sea access, nice staff. the penthouse upgrade is very worthwhile.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We read the many wonderful reviews of HSH and booked two nights during our week long stay in Negril. The website is well done, photos are beautiful and reviews very positive. We were excited for our upcoming stay...

We are so disappointed with HSH. The website photos are not what it is today. They were taken long ago when the courtyard was lush and beautiful! And for all of the great reviews on the website and TripAdvisor...who is writing this?! The green grass is now brown (if there is any at all) and the flowers are mostly dead. The flower pots contain dead plants and at times just soil. The trees have a lot of dead, brown spots. Looking at the courtyard from our balcony was such a disappointment. The grounds have been totally neglected. Cinder blocks and building material debris laying around, fence posts falling over, thatched roof over the outdoor shower missing, ill fitting cushions for lounge chairs, wooden outdoor chairs broken, hot tub same temperature as pool and the list goes on...the pool however was clean. Our room was clean and nice too.

The first morning we were all asked to eat our breakfast on our own balcony because food inspectors were supposed to be paying a visit...ok then. Food and coffee were delicious. Had to pay $2 extra for a second cup of joe.

We spent the day poolside watching Charlie (the owner) running around looking stressed and overwhelmed. Something about the toilet in the suite...had no clue what was coming our way...

After a nice evening eating at Rockhouse we returned to our room at HSH. We were greeted by a horrendous stench coming from our bathroom. The smell of sulfur and sewer! It was rather late in the evening so rather than looking for Charlie, we used towels to cover the bathtub and sink drains, closed the toilet seat lid, closed the bathroom door and placed towels along the bottom of the door, all in the attempt to quarrantine the smell. It didn't help whatsoever. In addition to the smell, we listened to 4 or 5 neighborhood dogs bark ALL NIGHT LONG. My boyfriend slept with his IPOD on, I had ear plugs in and we used the bedsheet to cover our noses. It was a terrible night. The next morning at breakfast we spoke with other unhappy travelers who experienced the same terrible night we had. We learned that newly installed toilets that were not sealed properly were the cause of the horrible smell.

Upon checking out, we were charged $5 for a towel that was apparently too dirty that it could not be bleached clean. When Tina, the front desk woman, left the office to get change for our towel charge, I noticed a food safety inspection letter on the counter dated 1-11-11. HSH received numerous violations and was non compliant in many areas. It was clearly stated that HSH was not to prepare or serve food until the violations were corrected. Boy, were we happy to be returning to the beach.

Charlie never gave us an explanation as to why our room smelt so awful and never once apologized. The management is bad, the place is rundown and we would not recommend staying here. It has potential and may have been very nice in the past, but as of today it needs a lot of work.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OutdoorAJ
, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
This review was a surprise. This was a young couple from my hometown and I tried to give them special attention. Some of the points made here are valid, and some are just plain untrue.
The grounds: true, we had some severe storms early fall and the salt spray burned the grass and many plants on the property. This happens sometimes ,in the fall. Right now, about 30 percent of the front lawn is brown, it all comes back in time with watering. The plants are recovering nicely with leaves and flowers, which we use to put in the rooms, which we did today. Regarding the rest, most of my guest comment on how beautiful this property is.
Restaurant: true, we have an annual inspection, its routine and usually there is something to address, we completed these things and now have our license.
The room, smells , etc. I and my manager , Tina, asked these guest everyday if everything was ok, we make it a point to ask all of our guest this as a matter of business. We want to know if anything needs our attention. They never once complained about anything to us. They were here for 2 days, if the room was as bad as they say, I would not have stayed a second day and would certainly have let mgmt. know about it, again, we asked and the answer was always , things are fine. I am typing this on my laptop in room 2, their room, and there is no foul order. We have installed new high efficient toilets and in another building , one worked loose and the seal was broken and that created an odor, we repaired that and that solved that. I have owned and operated this hotel for 30 years, if I treated guest the way they say, and my rooms were as bad as they say, I would not be in business today. Both the tone and content of their review is vindictive rather than factual and dishonest. Perhaps they were angry about being charged for the towel they ruined. I have never responded to a review before , but this required my response, as the bulk of it is untrue and mean spirited.. I am 90% full right now, and everyone is enjoying their experience here. Look for more reviews in the coming weeks.
Charlie Rossley
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Stayed at Home Sweet Home for 7 nights with my wife and 5-year old son. It was very relaxing. The ocean view from the resort was fantastic - beautiful sunsets! The bluffs were excellent for jumping and diving with several different levels. Our room was very comfortable with TV, refrigerator, air conditioning and WiFi. The freshwater pool was a must for us and was clean and refreshing. Charlie, the owner, was very accomodating and helpful. The on-site restaurant has good food. We contracted with Home Sweet Home's driver, Chris, to pick us up from Montego Bay and he was prompt and very nice. No problem in Jamaica Mon! Cannot say too many good things about Home Sweet Home- it was just an awesome vacation and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family