All reviews the cliff west end the penthouse owner charlie laid back small resort crashing waves every morning flat screen tv real jamaica bring earplugs road noise cleaned daily rum punch caribbean sea come home cab ride
Reviewed July 4, 2018

I was looking for a friendly, safe, low key, not too pricey place to stay, when a friend recommended Home Sweet Home. It proved to be just what I was looking for! This place is small, only 17 rooms. It is homey, not luxurious but rooms are clean, functional and all have amazing views of the ocean. The location on the cliffs is absolutely beautiful. It never felt crowded and often felt like it was my own private getaway. Staff are friendly and responsive. The atmosphere feels like visiting family. As a woman traveling alone, I had some concerns about whether I would feel safe at a small resort but found it to be very comfortable. While it offers privacy I did not feel invisible, increasing my sense of safety. As an insomniac, I would frequently go out on my deck in the middle of the night. Seeing the night watchman patrolling the property, sometimes on a bicycle, was comforting. The gate that is closed at night provides an added sense of security. If you are seeking a quiet, laid back, casual atmosphere, this is a great place. Hope I get a chance to stay in the Penthouse again on my next visit.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank andaghs
Reviewed June 8, 2018

We have been to Negril many times. And we LOVE staying in Negril. This hotel has ZERO security, the gate is left open -- there are no obvious video surveillance and no "guard" dogs onsite. We decided to try this place on a whim-- we "stayed" for 15 minutes before leaving the property and moving to a different hotel. The room we booked was on the first floor in their "new" building which is about 50 feet from the main road. The linens were VERY dated. There was a several inch gap between the top and bottom of the door to our room. The door did not shut flush with the door frame and did not seem very secure. The location of this hotel is closer to the beach, thus a busier location than other hotels. I now understand why they have a no refund policy on their reservations. I would not recommend staying here. There are plenty of options that are well maintained and "feel more secure." Staff was less than friendly at-best during the check in process.

Regarding cleanliness, the room was being cleaned when we arrived. However, there were stains on the bedspread and the room smelled of old salted fish. Maybe it was left in the trash too long? Additionally, the kitchen area still had old food on the counter under the refrigerator and microwave. When the room was inspected with a staff-- the door was wide open and she stated it smelled like cleaning supplies. I have a very sensitive sense of smell and was not going to argue the point with the lady because my mind was already made up we weren't staying due to security.

I think it is important for you to know -- I am not a "fussy" traveler. I do not stay at All-inclusive hotels. I do not expect perfection and I do appreciate the charm and native culture. We don't normally use AC on our trips to Negril and frequently stay at "rustic" establishments. I do expect cleanliness and safety to be a priority. Anyone could have walked from the road to my door and kicked it in the door; or thrown a brick through the glass doors on the backside of the building or jumped the short half-wall between the neighboring abandoned lot (which was about 2 feet from an unbarred window directly over the bed) and Home Sweet Home. When booking I requested the second floor suite for this very reason. We did not get the suite we requested. When we left-- we were not confrontational and didn't ask for anything. Although, my wife felt that the staff member tried to argue that the property was fine. It was not fine.

The ocean view is lovely, and the water is calmer here than other places along the coast that is why we decided to try it out. It is closer to Pablos, and the Canoe Bar which are some of our favorite places to eat in Negril but again it lacks cleanliness and security. I wish we had taken photos to provide you with documentation. We were so appalled we left quickly before our luggage was full of unwanted bugs.

Room tip: If you are staying here-- I would stay in the older building away from the gate on the second floor.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jonathon N
Reviewed May 3, 2018

there are so many properties in Negril with NO ocean view, why travel to an island and not see the water from your room. You can pay 4 to 5 hundred a night at a couple of locations but why stay where people will walk past you and not speak or make eye contact. Home Sweet Home is almost like camping as far as people outside and interacting, laying in hammocks, or having Monte show you brain teasers like he did my 2 children. The rooms are clean and air conditioned, even though we spent are time on property mainly outside. Don't stay in a room by the road, there is some road noise, but we slept just fine.

Room tip: there is a large choice of rooms with a ocean view
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
5  Thank Angie R
Reviewed April 12, 2018

Owner Charlie is always friendly and gracious. He steadily works hard to keep his property of 30 plus years the place to go for a relaxing and affordable cliffs stay. His staff are always helpful and make you feel like part of the family. Rooms aren't fancy but very accommodating, functional and clean. Snorkeling and cliff-side sea views are a nice plus. I've lost track of how many times I've stayed there, but what I do know is that my future twice-a-year stays on Negril's West End will continue to be at Home Sweet Home.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
7  Thank Tom T
Reviewed April 11, 2018

This was disappointing, we ended up checking out a day early. This hotel is in obvious decay and is lacking upkeep. The power went off in the middle of the night, there were roaches in our rooms, and dogs barking and howling all night. Really bad experience.

Date of stay: April 2018