“Great views and location... not much else”

Home Sweet Home Resort
Ranked #31 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Toronto
“Great views and location... not much else”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

So my husband I travel often, and I try to manage my expectations. I was able to do so at this hote l and enjoy myself, but it was tough.

Rooms: very run down, old, tiny old tv, shoddy air conditioning, plumbing issues, really unappealing bathrooms.

Location: Amazing. Hilltop over the water with ledges cut out in the cliffs.

Staff: Very nice however, there is not 24 hour (probably not even 12 hour) staff available. Only one tiny restaurant attached which kept "Jamaican hours" so I waited every day to get coffee til they showed up. Nowhere else to get food or drinks unless you walked ten minutes down the road to a convenient store. Not even bottled water in the rooms. It was very difficult. Front desk was amazing, but she also was there reduced hours so if you have an issue when she is not there you are in trouble. The owner, a Canadian I believe, lives there now and moves from empty room to empty room but he seems like he is vacationing mostly. He is helpful and very very nice, but doesnt do much to make your stay special.

Food: The one restaurant there, which is not owned by the hotel, has great food but very small selection and limited hours and quantity. What is nice is you can ask for something the day before (like oxtail or lobster) and they will bring it. However, my husband was limited to the same dinner every night as he does not explore with food and he basically had to eat steak or burgers prepared the same every day.

Overall, the hotel is rundown and needs major renovations. It is cheap, for sure, but it is too inconvienient right not to be worth the savings. They need more amenities and be around more for guests needs. The pool is small (smalller than a backyard pool) and not really kept clean enough. There is no first aid (I fell and hurt my arm and they did not have as much as a bandaid on property).

My advice, save your money for a later time and go to a better hotel. I am not very finicky on vacation but there are just some things you cannot go without, and this hotel is not up to standards yet. It is unfortunate as the location is perfect. Just like The Caves down the road, but definitely not even comparable.

Room Tip: If you are going, get the most expensive room with the view and outdoor hammok. We were in the cate...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank torontotraveler50
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are very sorry to hear about your experiences last year prior to the change in ownership. As the new owners, we sincerely hope you will return to see for yourself that we have addressed all of your issues and concerns. Please considering reading the reviews from guests who have stayed with us this year and experienced the new Home Sweet Home for an idea of how we are doing so far...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Poplar Grove, Illinois
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I went to Jamaica for a vacation and found a "Home". In my 6 visits to Negril I have never encountered the warmth and hospitality that I experienced at Home Sweet Home!!. I felt as if I was family from the first welcome greeting and warm smile from Tina to the humorous chats with Monty and other staff and the absolute first class hospitality I received from the owners Kim and John. They are doing a wonderful job of making this hotel the best in Negril. It has everything to offer from the friendly staff to very clean, comfortable rooms and well-kept grounds where you can relax and find your own quiet space to make you feel right at home. The hammock is a must on a breezy day!! I am very grateful to Kim and John for taking my stay to the next level when they upgraded me to the suite just over the ocean; it was the absolute icing on the cake! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! To say this resort is a hidden Gem is an understatement, I have never spent or even wanted to spend so much time just relaxing on the resort and enjoying the ocean right at my feet. Snorkeling and jumping off the cliffs became a daily ritual for me! The overall atmosphere and excellent customer service is absolutely the best, everyone goes the extra mile and is happy to do so! I cannot say enough good things about Home Sweet Home, it actually brought a tear to my eyes when I was leaving as if I was saying goodbye to family. As much as I would love to keep this place a secret I am happy to share my wonderful experience with everyone I know and definitely will be returning! My hats off to Kim and John for the wonderful job they are doing with this resort, their hard work and EXCEPTIONAL hospitality trumps any resort I that I have ever stayed at in Jamaica or anywhere else. Five stars is not a high enough rating for the feeling that you get from Home Sweet Home! It is a MUST stay for anyone visiting Negril! You arrive with good expectations and leave with GREAT EXPERIENCES!

Room Tip: Every room has a great view of the ocean and the location is perfect to get away from it all but sti...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review. You're such a dear person. We're thrilled that you had a wonderful stay with us. It was a great pleasure to serve you and your friends. While it was hard to see you go we are looking forward and can't wait to see you in Sept/Oct. YAY!! :o)
BOLINGBROOK
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is my fourth visit to Jamaica and, and my first time writing a review, by far Home Sweet Home is the BEST resort I've stayed at in my travel to Negril. As soon as we arrived at the resort we were greeted with a bright smile by Tina, not often that you get a full staff that is pleasant and ALWAYS have a smile on their face. The rooms were much better than I expected, plenty of space, very clean and with an ocenview balcony, very quiet and romantic. Each day that I returned to my room Samantha had the room cleaned exceptionally well, and she always left a different towel animal figure. I am really looking forward to coming back with my husband. Kudos to the owners and their staff! Thank you so much for making my vacation one of the best. :)

Sabrina

2 Thank SABRINA B
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review. We can't wait for you and your husband to come back for another amazing and enjoyable stay with us. So glad the true hospitality of our staff made your stay with us even more amazing. Hope to see you really soon.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is a resort that epitomizes hospitality. Every member of Home Sweet Home's charismatic staff pampered us with exceptional care - going the extra mile and anticipating our needs. Truly we were treated like family as evidenced by offers of aloe vera from their garden to treat our sunburn, to genuine concern for our well being.
Although we ventured to sample other restaurants, we never found a better meal than at Home Sweet Home, compliments of Terry and Ronald. The term 'soul food' comes to mind.
The setting (the views are magnificent) just add to its cachet.
We'd like to thank owners/hosts, Mike and Kim Taylor, and manager, Tina, for ensuring a truly gratifying experience.

One love!
Eduardo and Halima

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. We're so happy you enjoyed the beautiful resort, the exquisite dining and experienced the genuine hospitality of our staff. We strive for excellence and making our guests feel right at Home and like family. We miss you already and look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful experience very soon. One Love!!
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My son and I were looking for a tropical paradise to celebrate his college graduation, and make our first trip to Jamaica. We chose Home Sweet Home because of the great value it promised in a location on the West End cliffs. With a couple quick emails we set up our ride from the airport with Chris who delivered us to Home Sweet Home with a smooth ride and great stories about the areas we were passing through. On arrival, Tina, the property manager, made us feel right at home and put us "first timers" at ease. Our room was everything promised by the pictures and more. Once I stepped out onto the balcony and looked out over the Caribbean I knew it was going to be a great week. The food at the open air cafe was great, and the prices were surprisingly modest. The sea breeze and view from the dining area made every meal just that much more enjoyable. Of the many highlights I could mention, there are two that I always share with friends when they ask about our trip. First, was the day we went out snorkeling and John, one of the owners, asked if he could tag along and ended up providing us with a guided tour to the best snorkeling along the coast. Second, and even better, was when the staff noticed my son and I had a little sunburn. They brought it to the attention of Tina who arranged to have fresh aloe cut and cooled, providing us with the best sunburn treatment we've ever experienced. Home Sweet Home is in the heart of the West End with its cliffs, and close to the Negril Lighthouse and Rick's Cafe. I could not have been happier with my stay at Home Sweet Home, and am already thinking about returning next April. What a great place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frank G
Thank you ever so much for your kind words. We are so happy we exceeded your expectations and made this first trip of your an amazing experience for both of you. Exceptional customer service is of the utmost importance to us and our staff. It was a pleasure having you and we look forward to seeing you again in April. Thanks again!!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The best mini vacation ever, I have visited Jamaica many times and usually stay on the 7 mile beach but this time we decided to try the cliffs and OMG what an experience. I know now that I will always stay in the cliffs and most likely Home Sweet Home again and again, the staff was just like family and catering to all our needs - not that we had any!! The views are magnificent outside your room or inside your room. The sunset from the cliffs or so much better than the view from the 7 mile beach, I'm just saying...oh yeah and the food is just awesome!

It was like having an Endless Pool in you back Yard!

Room Tip: Go Now the rates of unbelievable and the best sleep I experienced in Jamaica, any room at Home Sweet...
1 Thank JCarter9839
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We're very grateful for your positive review, thank you ever so much! When is your next trip to see us, lol? We're very excited to have you back and hope it will be soon. Thank you again for sharing your great vibes!!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 14, 2013

First let me say that in my 10 trips to Jamaica, I've stayed on 7 Mile Beach, 8 times,lol... This time, I'd be traveling without my sweetie and wanted to try a new spot in Negril! I was looking for a decent deal and looking forward to enjoying the 15th Annual Boardie Bash(local event), so I called Connie at Connie's Country Western Pub and asked suggestions. She quickly responded, "How about Home Sweet Home Resort"? "They have new owners, the place is on the rise and they've got a great sale, right now"! Booking Home Sweet Home Resort in the West End Cliffs of Negril turned out to be an awesome choice. Big Jim picked me up from the airport in Mo'Bay and kept up a positive chatter all the way to Negril, stooping for some of Bigga's in Green Island ... As I drove past my "normal" spots, Rooms on The Beach and to a lesser extent the RIU Palace Tropical Bay, I relived fond memories, but was excited about my new spot!

When I 1st arrived at Home Sweet Home, i noticed something different... The gates(Owners direction)were open to the resort! In the Cliffs you often drive by nice spots, but the gates are closed to outside eyes... The grounds were well kept and the property at 1st glance was a 7, out of ten for me.The properties manager Tina greeted me with a huge smile and within 10 minutes, i was checked into my Seaview Queen Deluxe room! I've read that Home Sweet Home Resort is the perfect example of a classic Jamaican resort... If so, then I like classic Jamaican Resorts!

Tina accompanied me to my room and answered various questions I had about the resort and staying in the cliffs..My room was nice, spotless clean and I can see why the "rustic"(wooden furniture) was given in various reviews. Here's how I viewed the room... Hmmm, nice bed comfortable, flat screen TV, bathroom spotless...Large Wardrobe Cabinet with plenty of shelves, hangers and a room safe. I was like, this is gonna be pretty good...THEN I OPENED THE "Gone Like The Wind" double doors to my second floor patio and time stopped... The panoramic view of the Caribbean Sea was breath taking!!!! I immediately regretted that my Wife of almost 23 years was not here with me. In my minds eye, I saw romantic mornings, holding hands, her sipping coffee and me Sangster's Original and Appleton, as we planned our day! Thank Goodness, i videoed on this trip, so that she would get to see.

About 30 minutes after unpacking, I was ready to explore, a bit... Before I could get out of the gate Tina stopped me, asking, If I was ready for my complimentary Rum Punch...YA MON, I'M READY,lol! That's where I met Marvelous Monty, the bartender, a maker of strong drinks and a man with the gift of gab! 2 thumbs up for Monty, who I suggested get a Facebook Page, so that his "fans" could keep up with him... Monty indicated he was Internet "shy" and I suggested he get over it,lol...Loloya and Shelarie were cool at the bar as well!

The owners, John and Kim Taylor(Virginia U.S.)had just arrived back at the resort earlier the same day and were simply awesome... Mrs. Taylor shared their vision for having a Bed and Breakfast and how they came to purchase Home Sweet Home...She was such a sweetheart! John, her husband was very, very cool. I can't picture another resort of this magnitude where the owner offers to go snorkeling with you(Awesome Snorkeling/Jumping RIGHT from in front of Home Sweet Home and IT's FREE!!! )and show you the ropes and his favorite spots!!!

I will never be able to write everything I really liked about this place, the staff and the vibe, but there is one part that will eventually join the legends in the Cliffs! That is the restaurant where Chef Terry creates some amazing food... This woman would give Chef Emeril a run for his money...So fresh...So delicious! Lawd Have Merrrrrrcy! Shouts to Dean in the kitchen as well!

My house Keeper Nadeen did an excellent unobtrusive job, as my room was always clean and she and Samatia, the other housekeeper were very pleasant!

Oh yeah, did I mention the view and the incredible free snorkeling and great food and nice people? I guess I did,lol! I'd hang out here again in a heartbeat and will now spilt my Negril trips between the Beach and Home Sweet Home Resort in the West End Cliffs!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Smokinbbb
We’re so happy to read about your memorable stay. It was such an honor to host you and we’re thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations. As expected, we're extremely pleased that all of our staff took care of you!!!!. Thank you for your review, we can’t wait to welcome you back!!! Hope your other half will be able to join you as well, would really love to meet her too!