“Cool Place”

Home Sweet Home Resort
Ranked #34 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed January 24, 2013

First of all, I want to say this hotel is not for the people who love typical all-inclusive beach resort.
HSH is located Negril criff side area. No sandy beach behind the hotel, but there is a very cool cliff backyard. One evening, I and my husband were sitting on the chairs on the criff and watching beautiful sunset with drinking Red Stripe (I had dark rum). It was like sitting on the ocean. Not like a sandy beach, it was very unique and wonderful experience.
Daytime, we loved jumping from the cliff and did show-off to the boat going through our backyard. We did snorkel too. If you are lucky, you may see dolphine.

The location of HSH is kind of a good position. Walking distance (maybe 15mins) to 7miles beach and downtown. If your room has a kitchen, you can shop Green Super Market (painted green) and make coffee or quick breakfast.

The restaurant of HSH, I would say can it be better little bit with some small details, like portion size, plate, or side of entree. However, 2 menu I loved were Jerk Conch and Platain wrapped with bacon. Jerk Conch was well spiced and cooked softly. I did not see same menu any other restaurants. Plantain bacon was the one mixed sweetness and smokey flavor. Good with Red Stripe. (becaused it was good, I wanted bigger plantain though :)

The day trip. We did scuba one day. There is many small tropical fished, octopus, ray, etc etc. It is beach entry and good for beginner. Another day,driver of HSH, Chris took us YS Rivers. There is no tour office in Negril downtown, I would recommend Chris for private tour. He told us stories about villages, musicians, rum factories, etc etc,. I also asked many quesions about Jamaica, like "people have health insurance?" "school is free?". On the way to the hotel, Because I was interested in, Chris stopped at small shop selling crawfish. Tour bus can not offer this kind of additional fun experience.

At last, the hotel. One hard working business guy, John took over the management just a month ago. People Negril told us this hotel was almost abandoned for a while. John is fixing one by one right now. Maybe not 100% perfect for all guests, however, at least he brought the stuff we requested him right away. Sometimes WiFi problem at night, but the line will be upgraded soon.

If somebody looks for an extraordinary vacation, I strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The room with kitchen has super nice ocean view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Yabyny
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for providing your review and sharing your extraordinary vacation experience with everyone. We truly appreciate all your thoughts and feedback. We've reviewed and addressed portion sizes on several of our menu items and indeed the WiFi has been upgraded.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I spent 6 nights here in December for our honeymoon. We chose it based on photos and reviews here on Tripadvisor and we were very happy with our choice. Let's start with the good things: The staff was wonderful and made us feel like family. Marcia in the office, Angie in housekeeping, Terry in the kitchen, Mark, Latoya and Shalene(can't remember for sure, she was very quiet and shy) in the restaurant and our driver Chris were all very warm and friendly people! Even the maintenance guy who was there everyday was very nice and friendly as were the other men who were there doing some renovating. We stayed in #14, the Sunset Suite and it was great. There was more than enough room and it was VERY clean and the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. It also had an air conditioner and a kitchenette (we only used the refrigerator). We loved the stairs on the cliffs down to different landings to layout, read or dive into the ocean. We spent every morning but one swimming in the ocean right there. It was amazing. We had brunch at the hotel most days and a few dinners. The only time I didn't enjoy the food was when Terry didn't cook our food which was 2 or 3 times. We were not impressed with that man's cooking! We really enjoyed everything we had for breakfast and really enjoyed the curry chicken and ceviche snapper. We loved that there was a pool for when the ocean was too rough or we just didn't feel like walking down the cliff. We enjoyed the fact that there were only 14 rooms. The first 2 days there were only a couple other people besides us and after that it was a large group of people celebrating a big birthday but we barely noticed them unless we were in the restaurant at the same time. It was a very quiet and relaxing place and perfect for a relaxing and romantic honeymoon.
Most of them will probably be fixed soon as they are in the middle of some renovations but I will still point out the few negatives: We loved our room but the shower needed some TLC. It got the job done (sometimes barely) but not very appealing. The pool and jacuzzi are in need of some repair. There was paint chipping off and some tiles broken or gone and the jacuzzi motor sounded like it was on it's deathbed. Also there was almost no room around the pool to walk (not an issue since it was just the 2 of us everytime we were there but could be annoying if there was a group there). As I already mentioned it's in the middle of transition so there was some minor construction work going on but we only noticed some noise 2 of the days we were there and that's only b/c they were right out our door basically but didn't keep us from napping or relaxing. Terry was an amazing cook but the man that was there a couple times we didn't enjoy at all. For one, Terry would come out and interact with people and was very fun and friendly, the man didn't. I have to say the man b/c I don't even know his name. lol. Also the 2 times we ate when he was cooking it took forever and when we got our food it wasn't great. I don't know if he's new or what. I didn't love that we had to take a taxi pretty much anywhere we wanted to go but I guess the peace and quiet of the cliffs makes up for that. The security guard did not make me feel secure and that's all I'll say about that.

All in all it was an amazing honeymoon and we enjoyed Home Sweet Home very much. If you want to get away from all the partying and tourists on the beach the cliffs are a great place to get away and relax. We only went to the beach 2 out of 6 days and don't feel like we missed out at all. If you are used to luxury and/or all inclusive you should probably look elsewhere. If you're laidback and just want a clean place to lay your head and an amazing view check this place out!! You won't regret it! Oh and make sure you go check out some of the local places while you're there. We went to the craft market, a reggae show at Seastar and had lunch at Sweet Spice (amazing and real Jamaican food. we had curried goat and fried conch) all thanks to the driver Chris from the hotel who suggested them and drove us to all of them. Don't be scared to try new things. that's part of the experience! Hope we can make it back to Negril and Home Sweet Home very soon!!!

Room Tip: It was very hot 2 days we were there so A/C is a must!! All of the rooms have ocean views but the pe...
1  Thank ant8355
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Congrats! Happy to hear you had a great honeymoon. Thanks for your positive and negative notes. Terry and staff are still cooking up great food and we have a new chef on board now.

Our sincere apologies for the TLC and renovation items you experienced. We are swiftly working on all items. Some of the larger ones of note, water pressure has been resolved, the pool, as well as jacuzzi are just like new now. We also made a change to our security and have a professional security company providing our service now everyday.

In the end, we're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and had a lovely honeymoon.

We look forward to having you again very soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were here in December 2012 for 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay. Its not a very large resort, which we liked because it was quite and relaxing. Its on the cliffs, but the 7 mile beach is a nice walk or short taxi ride away. The staff was very nice and the restaurant was great as well. This place isn't fancy, but had everything we needed. I would highly recommend HSH to low maintenance travelers (esp couples) that want to relax and not be in the middle of the touristy area.

1  Thank NRC_Chicago

Thank you for your review. It's a bit like the best of both worlds being on the beautiful cliffs yet so close to the beach.

We have increased our amenities and made many upgrades to the property. Please join us again.

We look forward to seeing,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Picked this one via a google map search and was pleasantly surprised. The honeymoon suite overlooking the sea had a fantastic shaded patio that gave unparalleled views. We saw manta rays, dolphins and flying fish from the comfort of our deck chairs. The place is a little rustic but very charming with some great staff. Marcia the manager, Terry in the kitchen, Angie in housekeeping who tended to my wifes foot injury with me, Chris the driver who befriended us in ways we wouldn't have expected.
It is a quiet resort away from the hustle and bustle of the beach and downtown but a short cab ride from anything you want, nice access down the cliffs to snorkel, decent restaurant, clean.
We'd like to take our whole family down for a group vacation in the future.

Room Tip: Number 12 is the best room
1  Thank jbergh1354

Happy you had a wonderful Honeymoon! The Penthouse is a fantastic option for such a special occasion. Thank you for the compliments regarding our staff, we're grateful for each of them.

Look forward to you bringing the family down.

Warmly,

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I apologize for my late review however I still wanted to express my satisfaction at Home Sweet Home. While at the resort my friends and I were treated as if we were truly at home but with added benefits:)!! The rooms were clean and the food was wonderful! We ate at the restaurant several times and loved every meal. The staff was delightful.. They gave us great advice on where to go and how much to pay for taxi fare.

The AC unit could be a little colder esp during the hotter summer months. I believe there was a power surge that left us with out air four a couple hours during the first two days.

One of the best features of the Villa is the view!!! It's absolutely amazing..esp at sunset. No need to go Ricks Café (no offense-:) ..!!!!!!
I would definitely consider staying at Home Sweet Home again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SholaM

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. Great, to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We truly appreciate our staff and the service they provide to our guests. We aim to have all our guests feel right at Home.

The AC unit has been repaired as well.

We're looking forward to having you with us again soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

First let me start by saying this was our first stay on the cliffs and we now know it was much too quiet for us. We are beach people who have stayed in Negril 14 or 15 times. We were glad we only stayed 3 nights from Nov 17-20 and then transferred to Coco La Palm on the beach. That being said we had an experience similar to the last reviewer and quite possibly could have been there at the same time.

As mentioned the core employees were lovely people but somewhat elusive. Our first night upon returning from dinner at 8PM the gates were wide open and no security or employees around. The second night the gates were closed and locked at 9PM with nobody around but we were able to put our hand through the hole in the gate and unlock it ourselves so anyone from the street could do the same. We did not feel very safe staying in the Penthouse #12 that was accessible from the side of the building away from the office. One day a man who asked us for money on the street multiple times was leaning on the fence watching us leave our room. Without mentioning a name we also had an uncomfortable situation where one of the employees stopped us on the street and asked for money for his house so we spent the last day trying to avoid him.

Wifi was not available, jacuzzi shown in web site pictures looked like it hadn’t seen water in years, pool was very small and in rough shape. There was no ice available to take to our room for drinks. The sink in the room was disgusting. We didn’t even want to touch it to turn it on. Ants were everywhere.

The best part of the Penthouse room is the bed, the patio and the view but was definitely not worth the money we paid. We checked out at 10 AM on the last day and the office was empty. We just walked in and left our key on the desk thankful that we had not booked more days at this hotel.

I agree with the other reviewer. Don’t go until the transition has taken place and the owners are on site.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MMaurer
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

As new owners, we apologize for the uncomfortableness you felt on the property in the past. As of January 1, we now have 24 control of the property, including a professional guard service for the night. The office hours have been extended and new staff added. The employee panhandling no longer works here. We regret your experience was less than stellar. Please contact me if you elect to return and I will ensure a more enjoyable time.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Home Sweet Home is in transition - between owners - so there are some unstable elements to a stay at this place. First of all, there is a lot of construction / renovation underway and the grounds are not exactly in tip top shape. Secondly, It is a very laid back atmosphere so if you are expecting that there will be people/management around to assist you with things, that will likely not happen at this time. Thirdly, I was very disappointed to discover upon my arrival that there was no wifi as advertised since it had "disappeared" according to the staff. This meant that I could not contact my family while here and was not able to research any Jamaican tourist sites to assist my travel experience. Information was very difficult to come by. Had I known prior to my booking that these factors existed I would not have book this hotel unless a significant discount had have been offered. It might have been wise to simply close the hotel during this time in order to prevent negative impressions from forming.
On the up side, the staff (that were illusive but did sort of materialize eventually) were absolutely lovely. The food and the cleanliness of the room were both outstanding and the people were genuinely kind. The view from the room (suite #14) was incredible.
As has been mentioned by others, the road noise here is horrible with motorcycles and trucks roaring by day and night but that is not something that the establishment can help and the cliffs are a good counterbalance to this as they provide a peaceful place to sit if you are not a fan of traffic noise.

Room Tip: Get a suite if possible as rooms look pretty small.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank megatraveller
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. All renovations are complete. WiFi is being repaired and will be replaced shortly with new broadband high-speed access. New management takes over January 1st and will address all Service related issues. Thank you staying with us and please come back again for a better experience. Mention this to me or my wife, Kim, and we will accommodate you in some fashion for your discomfort this time.
John