“Had fun, but won't stay again”

Foote Prints on the Sands Hotel
Ranked #56 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I stayed here for just one night. I wasn't expecting much from the get go, so there were no surprises. We needed a cheap hotel as part of a package to get free airport transfers and were moving the next night anyway. Yes, we found a dead cockroach in the room. We stopped looking through the dresser drawers as we didn't want any other surprises. The water pressure in the shower was almost non existent, I was able to get a good temp though. The curry chicken at the restaurant was a actually very delicious. The pillows made us laugh; they were these huge "pillow logs". I don't know how to describe it, they were stuffed so full that you felt like you were sleeping on a log. I eventually managed. The rooms were pretty clean, the bedding was clean and beds were nicely made. The patio (although not facing the beach) was comfortable. The beach here really is amazing, I thought it was funny that within minutes of my arriving (to the beach) that I had been offered marijuana, crack, cocaine, special K, and a few others. They understood that I wasn't interested and left me alone. All in all, it takes a certain person to stay here, one who really really just wants to lay on the beach and worry about nothing else. It wasn't my cup of tea, but to each their own. I will say this, Banton the cab driver in the lobby will steal from you if he can. He overcharges for his services and if I am correct, he does not even have a JTB license in his window. This is who the hotel will tell you to ride to places with, but you might try to call a taxi yourself? He charge us $10US to go to Burbon Beach, which still seemed a little high, but then when we moved the next day, tried to charge us $20US (do I look crazy to you?!) to take us half that way over to the Riu Palace Tropical Bay (see next review). I felt uneasy and didn't speak up initially, well ever, my friend spoke up and said no way. She argued with him and we ended up giving him $10. Also at the hotel is Andy. Now he was a sweet heart. He hung out with us on the patio and had a few Red Stripes. Was a perfect gentleman and introduced us to his friend Albert as well. We had a good time together just talking and learning more about the Jamaican people. All in all, would not stay here again as I prefer luxury properties, but it isn't some terrible place. Clean rooms, some nice staff, decent food, amazing beach.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raelee B
There are newer reviews for Foote Prints on the Sands Hotel

Reviewed April 15, 2011

Rooms were clean and got cleaned everyday. Furniture was updated this year and bed was very comfortable. We were on main floor just up from the beach with a grilled in balcony and loved it. Suzette at the front desk and Michael are very accomodating and service was exemplery. The breakfast were great and Cheryl and Charmaine in the restaurant were GREAT. We also ate supper at Cool Spot which is directly across the street and very reasonable prices. Though there was some ganja smoking I have to say it was done all by Canadians and Americans and Germans. None was done by the locals as they do not stay in the hotel as such. It is part of staying in Jamaica and has to be put in perspective. No cockroaches in sight in our room. Everything was great and I would go back again, no problem. See you next year Foote Prints.

Room Tip: Stay on main floor in H2 or H3 they face the beach
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brice20
Reviewed February 25, 2011

My 15th trip to Jamaica . . . and I've stayed different cities and hotels each trip. This time, I stumbled upon a great deal for rates at Foote Prints, and although hesitant at first, I booked it for me and my best gurlbuddy . . . and I'm glad I did!!! We were there over Valentine's Day, but despite high season, we were catered to and made to feel like family! Our reservation was for ROH -- but we needed a patio (my friend smokes), so the front desk and bellman courteously worked with us and found the perfect room for us after 3 tries!!!!

The restaurant food was a bit pricey (what beachfront resort in Negril actually prices appropriately?) -- but we were not at all dissatisfied with the food!!!! We ate breakfast here 3 times (about $10 - $12 each including coffee, fruit, etc.) and dinner once. We LOVED being right on the beach and having the ability to interact with local people!

Our room was on the first floor with a sweet patio . . . we spent many hours sitting out there enjoying our time. Most of all, this hotel is just a few minute walk to Margaritaville -- and we made that trek daily . . . sometimes twice a day, LOL.

I will definitely be back to Foote Prints. Great value! Clean rooms! Awesome staff! Prime location! Thanks, Foote Prints for a special holiday!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lillywight
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I stayed w my bestfriend august 2010. I would have been miserable have it not been for my hired tourist guide Patrick. Great person! Nothing like it appears on the computer. The worst vacation ever,

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank unique3p
Reviewed January 26, 2011

just got back from a great vacation in jamaica the foote prints was a great place to stay at on the beach and the free upgrade facing the ocean made it that much better the people ther were very down to earth and awalys looking out for ya mon .chirs is the guy to ask for when your all settle in and he will make sure your vacation stay is good mon when you need a ride ask for coutny he was my driver hes very fare and will show you the real jamaica hassel free tell him kelley and niki from mn said hi aslo chris and we miss them already

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

There are too many overly negative reviews here that do not reflect the hotel accurately - it is definitely one of the better values in Negril.
We didn't decide for the hotel ourselves, we have been re-booked to it on a short notice by the travel agency after the Beach Club Hotel has messed up our reservation, and though skeptical after reading the reviews, we have been very pleasantly surprised.

Foote Prints is beautifully landscaped and has a charm that many other resorts are missing. Our request to switch from a room with two doubles to a room with a king has been met the next day. The rooms are very clean and functional. The beds are excellent. I've seen three rooms in total, and they were all perfectly fine and well kept. Housekeeping is outstanding: we tend to sleep long on vacation, and it's not a problem at all to get the room cleaned in the afternoon. The housekeeper even noticed that there was an issue with our shower and had it fixed right away.
The first floor rooms seem to be quieter than the rooms on the second floor; the second floor rooms under the roof also heat up quickly in the morning if you don't use A/C (which works well and quietly).

There's free wireless internet around the reception and the bar, we even could get it in our room(s). Many other hotels in Jamaica charge $20/day for internet access (e.g. Negril Rooms).

We did not see a single roach in 10 days (just mentioning because of other reviewers). This place is well taken care of.
There are a few issues, we considered them minor: Restaurant service is not always attentive but friendly, there could be more power outlets, the hot tub wasn't clean, one of the bathrooms was tiny. That's already about that.

The food was better than expected (except the fries - switch to rice and peas, you're in Jamaica).
I loved that the restaurant/bar area is just a few feet from the sea with an awesome view down the beach, unlike most hotels where the view is obstructed to the left and right by walls or fences reaching into the beach. This view alone is a huge plus for Foote Prints.

We enjoyed our vacation and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Great no-frills beach-front accomodations at possibly the most reasonable rates in Negril. We stayed in a lower beach-front room that was very basic, but the beds were comfortable, we had plenty of hot water, and there was a patio [with security bars] to relax on after a day at the beach. The restaurant serves a decent breakfast right on the water's edge, but other meals there were not impressive. Staff members were friendly.
Perfect, central location on the Negril beach and within easy walking distance to the craft market and a multitude of restaurants and bars on the beach.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Clearingcustoms
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Country Country Beach Cottages
#19 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
#29 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Foote Prints on the Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!