“Different Opinion of Banana Shout”

and 1 more site!
Banana Shout Resort
Ranked #5 of 46 Negril B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 18, 2008

I did not care for Banana Shout. The gardner and housekeeper were very nice but the owner wasn't around much and didn't seem to care if we were happy or not. The property is very hot because of walls on either side of the property blocking the breeze. Add that to the power outages all of the time, and with no fan you can hardly stand the heat. There is a "bar" on the property but nothing in it. No ice, drinks, beer, etc. No bartender. Occasionally someone makes coffee there in the mornings. My room was extremely bare, old coffee perculator, and hardly any utensils. One coffee cup in the room. Will not stay here again. Live and learn.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
6  Thank FloridaZoe
Milonegril, Owner / Manager at Banana Shout Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2008

During the summer jamaica got hit from Hurricane Gustav.
The property was damaged very bad and in the month of October the Hotel was getting refurnish and the damages got fixed.
The bar was CLOSED and we were able to just offer coffee.
The cottages were in good conditions and all the fan working.
It is true that we did had a lot of power outage, Sorry if we got a Hurricane and all the power lines all over the island were down!
All the guest were happy for the miracle we made to recover so fast from Gustav.
The Staff is on property 24 h and if a cup is missing, just ask.
thanks
Milo

Reviewed November 20, 2008

We went to Negril to attend a wedding. Our original accomodation fell through. Banana Shout had availability and was close by. We had originally planned to stay there for one night. But Banana Shout, Milo and Sade, were so wonderful that we decided to stay through the duration of our stay. They were so helpful--the airline lost our luggage; and the vibe of the place was so laid back and cool--that I would definitely stay here again and again. The rooms, while not the most modern are clean, comfortable, and relaxing--who could ask for anything more? If and when I go back to Negril, I will definitely stay at Banana Shout! And Milo's pineapple, chocolate, and chili concoction is to die for!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2008

In all my trips to Jamaica, I had never stayed on the cliffs/west end of Negril until now. I love the beach, but I had heard that the cliffs had a different vibe, so I wanted to check it out.

I consider myself somewhat experienced traveling numerous times to Jamaica and I travel there twice yearly. After much research and asking a lot of questions of those more knowledgeable about different hotels and resorts, I chose Banana Shout for my stay.

And I am SO very glad I did!

I am a photography enthusiast and I think my photos will tell part of why I fell in love with this place. There is no shortage of photo opportunities here! The grounds and view are so gorgeous; but my images do not convey the warm welcome I received, the homey atmosphere there and the kind way I was treated during my entire 9 day stay.

I stayed in the cottage called "Dolphin View" which was mere feet from the turquoise waters of the Caribbean sea. The cottage has a kitchenette with fridge, percolator, and two-burner hot plate.
The huge living/sleep area had a king size bed with a mosquito net, and also as a twin in one corner. The louvered windows are screened as well, so I always had the windows open. At first I was a little worried that without air conditioning I would be uncomfortable, but in my research I was reassured that the cliff side breezes were sufficient and they were! And as you may know, July is the height of the hot & humid season in Jamaica. The ceiling fan above the bed has 5 speeds so I was always able to find my comfort zone, even during the hottest days.
I loved having the french doors open during the day, and waking up to the sound of the waves on the rocks each morning.

The bathroom was large as well and the shower/tub enclosure was big enough to soak in.

A few days of my trip were spent laying in the hammock on the veranda reading the book by the original resort owner and named after the resort. That was an interesting read, so ask Milo to borrow the book if you stay there.

There are three different access point into the water; one day I even saw a dolphin swimming by.

Banana Shout is right next to Rick's Cafe, so every day it was fun to watch the various boats pull up to watch the cliff divers and enjoy the sunset. I have to admit I did enjoy being able to enjoy the band playing there and watching the packed crowd at Rick's from the privacy of my veranda. The band usually stopped playing around 9pm, when all the tourists head back to their hotels for the evening., so noise from Rick's was never an issue.

One thing I also really enjoyed was being able to use the wireless internet connection while there and that was one of the things that helped me make my decision to stay there.

A groundsman named "Plug" was always ready to help and keep the grounds immaculate. The sweet Lorna takes care of the house keeping duties.

Milo owns the place and runs it with the help of Shadae, his lovely, beautiful lady. Give them notice the day before and they will cook breakfast or dinner for you. Milo is originally from Italy, he cooks amazingly well and grows fresh herbs among the flowers on site. Shadae would often blend up a fruit smoothie for me without even asking. Honestly I was treated so well; this place is very different from anywhere else I have stayed.

Milo & Shadae also have two sweet natured dogs on the property and are protective of the guests and the resort. Every afternoon it was fun to watch them romp around the grounds chasing eachother; I was glad they were there cuz I was missing my own dogs at home.

I could go on and on about Banana Shout....this was my absolute best vacation in Jamaica ever! I will be returning to this property many more times in the future.

Thanks so much; respect and blessings to Milo & Shadae!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
8  Thank yamangurl
Reviewed June 27, 2008

My stay at Banana Shout was the absolute best. First of all, the resort itself is great for anyone who is looking for a relaxed vacation. It is very peaceful and serene there and the view of the ocean is breathless! Plus Milo and Shadae are great hosts, along with the help of Plug and Ms. Lorna. Everyone is very cheerful and helpful.

The rooms are clean, cool and comfortable, and waking up in the morning to the sound of the ocean is a real treat. I really enjoyed my stay there and the overall emotion of the resort.

Thanks and again to Milo and Shadae; I'll be back very soon.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank blu258
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Another great stay at one of the West-End's most laid back spots.
In the middle of it all but still away from it all.
Nothing can beat the surroundings for enjoying a quite breakfast
cooked there at Banana Shout every morning.
Can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank BhamDave
Reviewed April 19, 2008

After reading all these amazing reviews on Banana Shout, I thought we were in for a treat... the views are fantastic, the rooms simple but comfortable and clean. This was the first stop on our Jamaican road trip & one of the most expensive place we stayed at, so we were expecting a great service. We were a bit disappointed. If it wasn't for Shadae and the rest of the staff, Milo would have problems running the place. We really felt like we were annoying him when asking simple questions about the area and were a bit surprised about the lack of knowledge of the island. Not wanting to sound really uncool, but having the 'managing director' of the place smoking pot and blowing the smoke in your face when you're about to have breakfast is not really leaving me with a good impression. Also the 'telling-off' of the staff could really be done somewhere else than in front of the guests especially considering the foul language being used. We were also disturbed by the noise of Rick's cafe next door (same reggae band every day) and other guests. This is not a place for those wanting peace & quiet to match the great views.
Overall we were very disappointed by the place, all the more that the price is expensive in comparison to the other 5 places where we stayed in Jamaica that we greatly preferred..

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SophC
Reviewed April 4, 2008

Banana Shout is a really special place. Milo did a great job in making this place absolutely perfect. Both cottages, Dolphin Bay and Dolphin view are beautifully decorated and have an amazing ocean view and private access to the water. You can literally look at the water from your bed. I spent one night swinging on the hammock on the ocean front porch looking at the moon. Every morning we would find petal flowers on our bed and the bathroom towels nicely folded into beautiful bird shapes. I don't know...i really liked all these little details, I felt i was boing spoilt!

The place has also a very good location, right by the famous Rick's cafe, it has basically the same sunset view, with the only, fundamental difference that here, at Banana Shout , you can enjoy the sunset from your porch, or at at the bar with Milo, without the hassle of a noisy crowd. I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple