“Cannot Manage Their Reservations!!!”

and 1 more site!
Banana Shout Resort
Ranked #6 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Cannot Manage Their Reservations!!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This review is challenging to write, as we did not “stay” at Banana Shout (BS). If you have any questions about this review, please feel free to contact me with a PM, as I can document EVERYTHING in the review as true (in case management decides to dispute my review).

We made a reservation through an agency that reps nearly 100 Negril hotels and is highly regarded. We made our reservation for 1-1-14 through 1-5-14 in March of 2013. We paid in FULL in March, 2013. We wanted Dolphin Bay, as we wanted privacy. The thought of a secluded area was appealing, and BS had MOSTLY decent reviews. 1-1-14 was our anniversary, so we were excited to move to the cliffs for this exciting day!

We have stayed all over Negril before, but never at BS (see my other reviews). We were on the beach during the first part of this trip (12-25-13 through 1-1-14) and were supposed to move to BS on 1-1-14. I contacted the owner (Milo) on 12-31-13 to see what time we could get in the following day. He assured us to come any time, and they would make room for us. I understood this to mean they would either have our room ready when we came, or would hold our stuff securely until the room was ready.

Got to BS on 1-1-14 at noon. No one answered our 20 minute knocking at the gate. Remember that we came from the beach, so in addition to four suitcases, we had two boxes of food as we had kitchenettes at both the beach AND BS. Standing on One Love as cars whizzed by. Finally, a friend of the owner’s, passing by, saw us, stopped, and fortunately had a key.

We got in, and looked around. No owner to be found. The house keeper asked why we were there, as they had no open rooms. I shared that she was mistaken, as I had a confirmation certificate from the agency (which I produced immediately). She disinterestedly shared that no openings were available until 1-3-14.

The friend of the owner finally got a hold of Milo, who came about 15 minutes later. He immediately told us we were wrong, and he had no room. It was NY Day, we have all luggage, and have now wasted 1.5 hours sitting. I immediately called the booking agency (NOT an online place, but a true agency out of Canada). After leaving multiple messages, I finally got a live human. They had our booking down, and they proceeded to talk to Milo. All I knew was that SOMEWHERE in this chain, we were lost. Regardless of who was at fault….WE WERE NOT. We did everything right, and even called the day before coming there.

Milo and the agency found a ROOM at Catcha Falling Star for us. They said we would stay there two nights, then move again back to BS. My radar was REALLY up, as now over two hours of the middle of the day had been wasted, we were still sweltering at BS, and now you have a ROOM for me? No balcony, no kitchen. Just a small room under some stairs (Little Capricorn, if you want to check it out). I threw a complete fit. It is my ANNIVERSARY and I booked NINE MONTHS in advance. No room, and now I get a plain, windowless motel room? NOT HAPPENING.

We argued with the travel company, who finally agreed to bump us up to a very nice, lovely room at Catcha. That is why they are not being slammed here as well, at least they tried. In the subsequent 24 hours, we were harassed by the BS owner, who yelled at us as we walked by BS for dinner for upgrading out room, telling us he was NOT paying for it. He called me "American trash". Not that it matters, but we are two professionals in our mid 40s.

All parties still thought we should return after two days, we refused. After having the owner yelling at us, we were NOT intending to step foot back on his property – the man SCARED us.
I would sadly NOT recommend BS to anyone. He initially volunteered to “give” us two days in Dolphin Bay at another time due to this “mix up”. Really? We should TRUST that you will REMEMBER that booking? He could not remember a PAID booking!!!

Beware, folks. We wasted a full day with this situation. One day on an 11 day vacation is way too much to spend yelling, crying and haggling.

Sadly, I will never, ever be at BS again…..Again, PM me if you want all of the documentation regarding this. I have it all, so Milo cannot dispute one thing in this review. Also, please read my hundreds of other reviews from around the world, as we usually are not complainers.

9 Thank dianeg
Milonegril, Owner at Banana Shout Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Sometimes people try to abuse too much the kindness of others.
here what happened:
We had an overbooking, we are sorry but it happened, ( i actually got overbooked 3 times on the last 5 flights).
Our duty is book the customer in a same category hotel at our expenses, we actually book them into a higher level hotel for the 2 nights overbooking.
we gave them 3 free nights for next stay at the Shout. on a 4 days reservation.
the agency gave them 200 usd refund
this was not enough for them because they want a suite, they even pretend that we pay 4 nights at the other hotel in the suite,even if we have the room they booked.
now , i got accused of harassing and scare them, this is very funny because they avoid us since they move to catcha, we went 3 times looking for them with no success, they called many times the agency in Canada complaining that i did not went to look for them, i have all the mail from the travel agency asking me why i do not want talk to them.
feel free to pm me to view all the mail.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Stuart, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We arrived to Banana Shout and were greeted by Plug the daytime man on the premises. He was very pleasant and helpful greeting us cheerfully and assisting with our bags. The rooms were very clean and roomy and were located right on the cliffs of Negril, you could almost dive from our front porch into the pristine waters. Ashman who was the night watchman is also a local wood carver and very talented and reasonable. My fiancé and I felt safe and secure the whole time and felt the genuine care from all the employees. There was a maid Barbara who did a wonderful job of cleaning our rooms each day. There are only 5 rooms on the property and there is a sense of privacy and relaxation. There is no TV which was great it was all about the beauty of the place and being in relationship with the locals and each other. Ricks Café the world famous sunset spot was swinging every sunset next door with cliff divers and reggae music. Milo has a fantastic crew and has a very special spot for an intimate getaway.

Room Tip: dolpin view or dolphin bay are right on the water
2 Thank Charlie H
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

This is the second year that we chose to stay at Banana Shout during our holiday in Jamaica and we are absolutely glad we did so. There is nothing like waking up with the first rays of Caribbean sun light in your room and with a wonderful view over the sea at one of Milo's simple but comfortable and well-equipped cottages. I strongly recommend it to those vacationers who want to avoid the impersonal atmosphere of conventional resorts without compromising location/view.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Bernitayilmaz
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at Banana Shout over New Years. We were very impressed with our stay. The view from our room was breathtaking. Watching the sunset from our cottage was a true highlight of our trip. We also loved the fact that it all felt so private. You often don't get the feeling of being at your own private getaway when you stay at a hotel but at Banana Shout you do. Milo is a very accommodating owner and Plug, the groundskeeper, is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Highly recommended!

2 Thank Ida-M-F
Chicago IL
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I Stayed at the Banana Shout for 8 days. We booked months in advance with Milo who was always quick to respond and attentative .

This was our first time to Jamaica and we did plenty of research prior to arriving in Jamaica. We researched local restaurants and things to do that were close to banana shout. Jah Around (Taxi Driver) picked us up promptly from the Airport. The drive from Montego to Negril is about an hour and a half. Jah is willing to do pretty much anything for you during your stay and will run errands if tipped. On the way to the hotel we were able to turn in USD to Jamaican. 1 USD = 100 J

We arrived at the hotel during sunset and Pug took our bags to the Dolphin Bay. Let me tell you, when you see the view for the first time and/or sunset, it will be one of those things that is burned into your head forever, it is that stunning of a view. Milo showed us to the rooms and always made himself available if we should need anything.

THE ROOMS: The rooms are quite rustic. They have you basic shower, small two plate burner, sink, and king size bed. The bed was not too bad. The room has a large ceiling fan. There was also one single bed. There is no AC. The majority of times you do not need it, especially when sleeping. The hottest time of the day is 1pm-4pm and was the only time we wished there was AC. This gives you a good excuse to jump in the water or head over to Ricks to use their pool! We were happy to have a roof over our head with such a beautiful view, because that is what you are really paying for .If you want the view and luxurious room feel free to look else. Yes, some basic upgrades and maintenance would be nice, but the few minor nuisances of the room give it character. The room is roughly 10 ft. from the cliffs. The only thing I do wish the rooms had was a safe, as I wanted to pay cash for most things in the area and not have to use my credit card.

THE PROPERTY: Pug works everyday on the property. Pug puts in countless hours landscaping and making sure everything looks nice for the guest. I would highly recommend getting to know Pug as he is such a nice individual and has some great stories. The property has loungers outside of the two villas right on the ocean. If you are staying in the guesthouse or apartment there is a large sand section right on the cliffs with loungers. The cliffs are great and we went snorkeling multiple times a day. It is a great reef where we saw dolphins, turtles, eagle rays, and hundreds of different fish. My advice would be to invest in a good mask and snorkel prior to coming. If the waves are too choppy, head over to Ricks to use their pool, you only have to buy a drink and can watch tourists do belly flops off of the cliffs.

THE AREA: As my first time to Jamaica, I was quite overwhelmed the first 24-48 hours. West End, which is about 10 minutes outside of Negril, is quite remote. This resort is one of the more off the beaten path resorts. You will be forced to blend in with the locals. The resort is within a short walking distant too Ahhbees, Ivan’s Bar, and LTU. I recommend trying all these restaurants. There is also a grocery store just to the north where you will get your basic water, snacks, etc. If you walk south on the outside road you will pass the lighthouse and Just Natural restaurant is there, very good! North is Ahhbees Ivan’s and towards downtown Negril. The first day I will admit I did feel somewhat vulnerable walking along the road. I did not know what to expect about the locals. As long as you are kind and not walking around with a $5,000 watch and diamond earrings you will have no problems, mon. This is a quite improvised area, so it is my recommendation to, blend in. Some of the best restaurants are the “shack” restaurants.

Overall I was very satisfied with my experience. Yes, the rooms are rustic but that is half of the fun. Milo and the staff truly work hard to make you feel comfortable and welcomed. What sets this place apart from the others is the rustic and laid back feel. Do yourself a favor, get out on the road, walk up and down and talk to the locals. Yes, you will be solicited quite often, but this is their main source of income. The locals are really great people and will welcome you with open arms. Did I mention that you will also eat some of the best food of your life there?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Joshua J
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Had a great time at Banana Shout, it was our 4th stay and just as good as previous stays. It's basic/rustic but also private with beautiful views. The beds are comfortable and there's no need for A/C, we stayed in Dolphin View. There are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance and there's a small mini mart close by also. We will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suez12
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed in Banana Shout for 8 days, and we would go back every year if we could.
The room was big and clean, the bathroom had everything we needed even hot water (I think I only used it twice). We were worried about the fact that it didn´t have a/c the truth is that we didn´t miss it, some times at night I even got a little cold.
The staff was great, the driver Jerome was so kind to us, if you stay at banana shout, just trust him and enjoy, he even got out of the car and negociated the prices for us, the car is not the fansiest but he will take you to your destiny.
Once Jerome got all wet trying to find a present that I wanted to take home. he is the best.
We loved staying at the west end it is not as loud as the rest of negril but if you want to party Ricks Café is next door.
If I have to say something negative, the kitchen in the cotagge wasn´t very functional, we couldn´t even make toasts, but the truth is that we didn´t care, there are so many nice restaurants arround form big hotels to local restaurants where you can go. And at night there is always someone making dinner at the out doors kitchen.
I recommend Banana Shout..... We had a very special Honey Moon.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are special I think, but we stayed in one of the dolphin cottages and they have the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple