“it really is just 75 paces from the most beautiful beach!”

Secrets Cabins on Negril Beach
Ranked #28 of 43 Negril B&B and Inns
Fenton, Missouri
“it really is just 75 paces from the most beautiful beach!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

quaint restful, laid back, secluded, yet just a few paces from one of the most beautiful beaches on earth. good coffee and beer, omelets made to order at the outdoor bar...they call you by name, and are there if u need then and not if u dont. Lenny is my hero cuz he was there 7 weeks! love the outdoor shower..its not upscale, its more of an adventure but it is so afordable!...go late in the season..you may practically have the beach to yourselves.

Room Tip: Go in june
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank kathyh44370

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Seriously, almost all of what I read regarding Secrets and Firefly is positive. It's why we keep coming back year after year. I just returned home June 6, 2013 after spending 4 nights in one of the cabins...where I always stay. Sometimes I travel alone in which case i get one of the smaller cabins. This time a friend and I stayed in the larger one with two full beds (plenty of room for the small amount of time spent indoors). The staff, beautiful and laid-back setting,along with the price and location on the beach (and the fact that I can enjoy the beach au naturale) make this my favorite place to be when I need a quick short break from the pressures of every day life. I feel like I'm visiting old friends in their backyard. I would highly recommend staying at Secrets and falling in love with the whole experience as I have...no doubt you'll be back too!

My computer with all my photos is undergoing repairs or I would add pics. Sorry.

Room Tip: If you like the idea of true outdoor experience (including outdoor showers) then stay in any of the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Scott S
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The staff at Secrets Cabins makes a traveler feel immediately at home. The grounds are really a beautiful garden, and best of all, the Caribbean Sea is but 75 steps down a path lined with flowers.

I just returned from my 10th stay at Secrets in the past 5 years, and that should tell everybody how I feel about this special place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Lenny K
Hill City, South Dakota
Reviewed May 6, 2013

After enduring the hustler gauntlet across the north shore, we were finally able to relax here. The vibe is tranquil (hello, Negril), and the staff are friendly and accommodated a few of our special requests regarding our stay. Secrets is nestled in the lovely Firefly property and we loved the outdoor showers, wifi, and especially the bar/restaurant right there by the shady almond trees on the nude-friendly beach. There's no room to dance in the cabins, but you should do that on the beach anyhow- to the sound of the warm Caribbean lapping the soft sandy shore or to the infectious Reggae beats that are omnipresent (there is something else pleasant associated with Jamaica everywhere too).

The locals (who respect your privacy within the Firefly property) are eager to make your acquaintance and make you feel at home in their neighborhood. We were invited to a special curry goat party, peddlers traverse the shoreline offering fresh fruit, juice, patties and the like, and what you can learn about the locals is limited only by your imagination. Alfred let Jodi borrow snorkel gear for two days, (I'm guessing) anticipating us taking a trip with him out to the reef, which was cheaper and better than tours I've taken in the Florida keys. I had a Rasta MC sing to me at Roots Bamboo bar (5 minute walk) as part of an intriguing conversation. Their energy and spirit is beautiful.

In short, Secrets/Firefly is an inexpensive, safe haven where your biggest concern might be whether to go for a stroll down the beach to browse local artisans' products on display, or take a dip and kiss the ocean. But if you'd rather have a canned, butt-kissing experience, go pay much more at an all-inclusive and miss out on unique experiences you can't plan or buy... real Jamaican culture.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Glenn F
Delta Junction, Alaska
Reviewed February 24, 2013

From the moment we arrived, we felt welcome at this lovely establishment. Our names were known and our needs were considered. Our room was tiny and basic but clean. The price was right and we had a lovely spot on the beach. It would have been nice to have had more beach chairs. We are late risers and we never did manage to snag two so we shared. The garden setting was wonderful with many varieties of hummingbirds partaking of the flowers.
A couple of caveats: the restaurant has very slow service so be prepared to wait. The coffee is not fantastic and I am pretty picky about that! Be prepared to be nude or be surrounded by those who are. There were gaps in the cabin where mosquitoes could enter but we burned our pic, which was provided, and got no bites. The outside bath facilities were clean and acceptable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tiki L
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This accomodation is not for the mature traveler. Its more for the backpacker who doesnt care about bathing and hygiene. The room is 7x7 with bunk beds. They describe it as "rustic" but to me its just dingy! Dont mistake the picture for the actual cabins. The cabins are actually located on the Firefly property so the pictures are of the cottages on the firefly property..not the cabins. The bathrooms for the cabins are situated outside the cabins and during our first night the shower and bathroom did not work/flush. It rained so Im assuming they turned off the water. The red ants made our cabin their refuge so It was hard to sleep comfortably. We checked out immediately and stayed at Kuyaba which is one of the better hotels on the beach that is not a resort. Its clean. The rooms are big and the bathrooms are inside the rooms.

Room Tip: Do not book cabins if you want a bathroom inside the room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Queens2BK
worldroamerII, Owner at Secrets Cabins on Negril Beach, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
:Secrets Cabins on Negril Beach
Location: Negril
Title: Owner response
ID#: 151259591

I'm glad of this opportunity to respond. There is a VERY IMPORTANT point to be made against a practice that very adversely affects both guests and the owners of accommodation.

Bur first I'd like to mention simpler matters.
1. It is unkind and erroneous to suggest that backpackers maybe don't care about bathing and hygiene.
2. Almost all of the guests who return to our cabins, some for 30 years, are not backpackers; they are guests who like what we offer.
3. The smallest cabins are over 55% bigger than the measurements that the guests stated as a fact.
4. On the night that the guests stayed, the Negril water supply was interrupted at about 9.45 p.m. and when we realised this we switched on our reserve supply.

The booking came to us from an online travel agent, which cannot be named with whom we have dealt for about 3 years. On their registration card when they arrived the guests said that they found out about us on an online travel agent's site, but not the same site as that which they booked from..

All the photos on Secrets' own website, and on the site from which the booking came show the Secrets cabins; they do NOT show Firefly or other places. On our large Secrets site we specifically state that a particular building in the background of the beach photo is NOT Secrets.

So who is showing the wrong buildings and claiming they are Secrets? It is NOT any online travel agent with whom we have a contract. So I checked on Google and found hundreds of listings (the first 20 pages were full of listings for "Secrets Cabins on Negril Beach." )

Many of these (what I would call 'Cowboy" travel agents) I have never heard of and would have no connection with, yet they make claims that they can save 50%, or 75% or 80% on Secrets rates. Some also claim 'No deposit', 'no cancellation fee' etc.

So I decided to test one of them, that I shall call www.a----.com. As Secrets is pretty well booked up for this month I tested that site with a booking for 2 persons for 10 nights in May. I got an offer that showed a daily rate of US$164, but with a line through it and replaced with a rate of $67. I was notified that if I did not complete the reservation in 20 minutes this great opportunity would be missed. Also the conditions said, 'no amendments' 'no modifications' and 'beachfront cottage with shared bathroom.'

Then I checked out our own website, checked the rate offered and found that it was $46 + $5.20 tax per night,

WORSE than the 'rate robbery' was that the site www.a----.com showed photographs that were not Secrets cabins, but Firefly Cottages. Firefly Cottages has no knowledge of that 'cowboy' travel agent.

Many other sites in the 350 that I glanced at also showed similar completely false information. IT IS TIME that something was done to stop this deception.

Back to our guests, although the sites that they mentioned did not have false information, they obviously GOT WRONG INFORMATION FROM ONE OR MORE OF THE 'COWBOY' SITES where photographs of $200 a night rooms were passed off as being the "simple tiny timber low-priced cabins" which is the description provided to and used by the agent through whom the booking was made.

This is BAD for the accommodation providers, but MUCH WORSE FOR THE GUESTS WHO save up and pay for what is shown, only to find they have been RIPPED OFF by the "cowboys'', both as to the accommodation and probably the price paid.

Finally, how we describe our Secrets Cabins, and the sector we are seeking on our own website is indicated by those who may be looking for 'budget hotel, hostel, camping or just a clean safe cheap room.'
Our heading is ''....cheap rooms...." . and our home page shows photos of the cabin booked by our guests, inside and outside, and of the other two "little cabins". We also state "The other 3....cabins ....have each got a double and a single BUNK bed" and "We have clean bathrooms....only 10 metres from your cabin."

So our description was correct and our photos showed exactly what we offered.

MAYBE TRIPADVISOR CAN START A CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE COWBOY AGENTS.
Mercer Island, Washington
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at secret cabins for 8days over New years 2012. It was clean and beautiful, and so so close to the beach. The staff are so lovely and kind and always remembered my name. The owner of the property was around and made sure to speak to everyone and also learn names. It really was like one big family. I will never stay anyway else when I visit Negril :) secrets for life!

Room Tip: The cabins are small but so cute and really all you need. The bathrooms are 5 steps away and the sho...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple