“Tensing Pen: a little piece of paradise!!”
Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a week in Tensing Pen, Negril, from Jan. 3 to Jan. 9 this year. We chose Tensing Pen because it seemed to be the perfect location to relax and take in Jamaica’s sun and sea, in a romantic and cozy setting. Tensing Pen exceeded our expectations by far! Not only are the pictures you see on the web exactly what the resort looks like, but they actually don’t do justice to its beauty as well as to the breathtaking views of the sunset!! The resort is very well kept, with lush gardens and pathways, beautiful huts, hammocks and secluded areas to relax and soak up the sun. The pool overlooks the cliffs and the resto-bar area is very cozy, with a great authentic feel to it. Of course, our preferred way of going in the sea was cliff jumping from the resort’s various access points; the 7-mile beach is about 5-10min away by car, but the cliffs were a lot more fun for us than the sandy beach would've been (it seems one gets approached by local vendors quite often on the beach). One can do daily activities directly from the resort (snorkeling, pick-up and drop-offs for scuba-diving, adventure and sightseeing tours, and dolphin swimming – a must!). There are a few very nice restaurants only 5-10 minutes away. But before going out you might want to experience the in-house restaurant first: we were astonished by the quality of the food! The recipes combine French, local and international cuisine, with fresh daily fish and seafood that will blow your mind!! And the service is very professional and friendly (of course, tips are always appreciated and a friendly smile goes a long way). My boyfriend and I were celebrating our first anniversary there, so the staff arranged for a very romantic private dinner in a secluded hut away from the general resto-bar area on our last night (a service they offer). It was magical!

Rooms: we stayed in Garden Room A, which has air conditioning. It doesn't quite overlook the sea but you can get a glimpse from the porch. Regardless, we found it lovely, quiet and very clean! (Although there wasn't always hot water in the shower - but that didn't really annoy us given it was 30 degrees outside - and we're sure that if we had mentioned this to the staff they would've repaired it in an instant) ! (A note: wherever you stay, don’t forget to follow the staff’s advice and always keep your valuables locked in the room’s safe).

The resort’s dogs are the sweetest creatures you’ll find on the island, very friendly without being annoying and just so gentle. And the resort is small enough (not like a run-of-the-mill impersonal all-inclusive) so that you can get to know other guests if you feel like it. We met a few very interesting and fun people which we ended up hanging out with during a couple of evenings there. And all guests were very nice and polite, friendly.

Last but certainly not least, the staff: we were amazed at how friendly and helpful every single Tensing Pen employee was!! The staff was just delightful!! Always in a good mood and very respectful. We had some good laughs with the guys at the bar, our nice waiter, the maintenance staff and all the girls at reception!! A big thank you to: Tracey, Owen, Voliver, Razor (RB), Terrion, Sharon, Carlene, Webster, Mike, Bruce, Malcom, Shanik, Rasine and Shernette for their wonderful welcome and for making our stay so enjoyable (sorry for any misspelling)! Tensing Pen and its staff contributed to making our stay in Jamaica unforgettable. Next time we come back to the island, there’s no doubt: straight to Tensing Pen from the airport! :)

Wishing everybody there a great year and thanks again!! Christine & Dave

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the street which can get quite noisy at night. If you go with one of the Garden...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestServicesTP, Guest Relations Manager at Tensing Pen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear Christine & Dave,

Thanks for your review.

We are over joyed to have had both of you at our little piece of paradise. Knowing that you have left our hotel with nothing but great memories.
We have an amazing team of staff members, that are very dedicated and devoted to our jobs. We go above and beyond to ensure that our guest needs and expectations are met.

I must apologize whole heartedly about not having any hot water, I wish you had reported this to the front office because I know it would have been dealt with ASAP, nevertheless your trip was amazing.

Please remember to spread the word to your fiends and we look forward to hosting you again at TP.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

After having spent years staying at Seven Mile Beach,I decided to get away from the hustle and growing tourist attraction of Seven Mile.In 1972 it was quite special.When staying on Seven Mile,I regularly went to the cliffs ,where one could "chance" a jump off the cliff's.The walk was charming,not even like tourists ever discovered this piece of paradise.I vowed to return someday with my wife and experience the cliffs.Tensing Pen was my choice,as I was now looking for peace and serenity.
Tensing Pen is very special.Everyone respects your privacy,it is well ammenitied,hospitable,well-guarded on the perimeters and gated,no worries!
We talked with the owner ,who had built many of the quaint cottages,his favorite being The Garden Studio.There really isn't a bad room at this village.
I will leave you with this picture of Paradise.......Every morning at 6:am,I walked thru lighted garden paths,talked with Owen,the night guard on our side,walked across the "open"bridge"to the restaurant,where Bruce,the night supervisor was making fresh Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee(absolutely the finest coffee in the world)
After having a pot brewed" special" for my wife,I meandered back,watching the sunrise,delivering my wife her delicious brew and enjoying Tensing Pen,both at night and day.It was truly paradise.The staff was friendly and helpful,the rooms were meticulous,interestinlg arrainged,so everone could privately enjoy this very very special place.I can say no more than this is what I felt every morning.No suprises.In fact,like most visitors,we,decided a week was not enough,so we bargained for an extra two days.We would have stayed forever,thats a fact!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestServicesTP, Guest Relations Manager at Tensing Pen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thanks for your review.

Tensing Pen is indeed a special gem located in Negril. From the combination of our rooms, the staffs and the amenities that we offer at Tensing Pen is one of a kind. We work together to create the perfect ambiance for all our guest.
Its true, we make the best pot of coffee... Nothing beats the feeling of waking up to a fresh pot of brewed coffee and sharing it with the one you love, as you watch the sun rise from your balcony.
Indeed heaven here on earth.

Bruce and Owen awaits you here at Tensing Pen.

See you and your wife again

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We have recently returned from our third trip to Tensing Pen, so it's obvious we love it there. Our two adult children, their significant others, and we, were invited to a family member's wedding at Sandals Negril. Not being the AI type we knew we would not stay there but at one of our favorite places on the Cliffs and then a few days at the Beach. Country Country is our spot there. Due to late planning on our part, for the dates of our various stays we were only able to find a place for 2 couples at Tensing Pen and 1 at Catcha Falling Star, our other favorite at the Cliffs. The staff, lodging, and amenities at both resorts is beyond comparison of any place we have stayed in our lifetimes.

I had been concerned that we may not be able to have all 6 of us spend as much time together as we wanted even though the resorts are just steps away from each other. My fears were dispelled immediately when our driver from Clives, highly recommended, dropped our son and daughter-in-law off at Catcha and Andrea remembered me and insisted "the lady" get out of the van and come over to the office for a hug and some nice conversation. We had spent two extended prior visits at Catcha, which we love equally as TP. So hard to choose, we try to spend time at both, and definitely eat at Ivans.

Then my husband and I checked in at TP and were as warmly greeted, like coming home. Our previous visits had been to the Pine Pillar and Rock Cottage II, and this time we chose Garden A for ourselves, and our daughter and her guy were to arrive at Garden B the next day. We advised the office of our son being at Catcha and "no problem" for them to visit with us and his sister for the length of our stay. We immediately jumped into our suits and headed down to the cliffs for a swim. We could see across the way to our son and daughter-in-law doing the same at Catcha. We then enjoyed a great evening dinner at Ivans and playing cards on the beautiful porch of Garden A.

Next day, the big arrival of our daughter and her guy, usually skeptical of anything Mom tells her, on arrival at TP she was all smiles and said, "It's everything you said it was, it's amazing!" You really just have to walk in the gate and you know you have arrived in paradise. Again everyone jumped into their suits and began jumping off cliffs and the bridge, and enjoying the gorgeous views.

Our daughter-in-law could not get enough of the flowers and greenery, walking down the paths of both resorts, Catcha has well recovered from the devastation of storm Nicole. She and our son had travelled from Wisconsin so the tropics were well received after their brutal winter.

Then there are the dogs. Since our kids own Ridgebacks as well, the dogs are a special added attraction. Tensing, Shuga, and Beezy hung out with us comfortably and guarded us in our comings and goings between the 2 resorts. Special attention as well to Ben at Catcha, a very sweet dog.

While there we noticed that the 3 bedroom, 3 bath Long House was available, so for a small upgraded price, all six of us moved for our 2 remaining nights so we could all be together. Our kids kept their original lodging for their last night. The guys went fishing with "Duke" and brought in a 25 pound black fin tuna. Catcha filleted it and we gave most of it away to the staff at both resorts and cooked up the rest in the fine kitchen of the Long House. We bought rice and calalloo at the little store across the road and had a fine dinner.

I can't say enough about how great the people of Jamaica are. The hotel staff, the drivers, chefs, servers, tour guides. Jamaica must be doing something right. We will be back again and again.

Thank you all for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank rastawoman123

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I remember this group, you were an amazing set. Its a joyful feeling to know that you all had an amazing time with us.You all made it easy for all the staff. We are one, big, happy family. Tensing Pen is your home away from home.

It was fun to have had you all and we look forward to hosting you all again at TP.

One love

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have been traveling to Jamaica for 5 years and this was the best trip yet primarily due to Tensing Pen. I was able to truly unwind, restore and be at peace on the premises....

The rooms are wonderful, staff is friendly & helpful and every vantage point from the hotel was fantastic. Although not a fault of the resort there was noise with music and street dogs barking...I felt safe and content there and have booked my 2015 trip for an extended 12 nights.

Danique, Razar, Webster, Malcom & Owen were fantastic & personable.

Room Tip: Garden Studio was a dream...perfect ventilation, comfortable balcony and a beautiful spacious room i...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Thanks for your gracious review.

We are happy to know that we were able to deliver what we sell which is *peace and serenity*. We allow our guest privacy to enjoy nature and its surrounding.
Its good to know your time with us was well spent. All the staffs here at TP sends their love.

Thanks for making it Tensing Pen and see you again.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were married at Sandals Montego Bay then headed to Tensing Pen. The property is beautiful.

We stayed in Garden Room B for two nights. It was quite noisy, but out of the resort's control. The first night, there was a party down the street with a DJ that we could hear so.clearly. It stopped at 11 PM though. Also, there was a bird outside our room & the stray dogs outside the resort were barking all night. I wouldn't stay in Garden Room B again, but I don't hold this against the resort because it was out of their control. Just be aware that in the garden rooms, you are very close to the resort fence/ what lurks outside.

They upgraded us to Rock Cottage 1, which was super cool and nice of them. I enjoyed Rock Cottage much more. The only sound was the waves hitting the cliffs.

I loved the three Rhodesian Ridgebacks that roamed the resort. They were very sweet. I own two dogs.

The view was amazing. The place is very relaxing and private. There are numerous places to sit together and enjoy the view and read a book.

There was excellent Wi-Fi in every room. Good enough for streaming Netflix. We sat on the porch of rock cottage one evening and watched a few shows.

It would be nice if Tensing had king beds. I slept just alright, but this isn't the resort's issue so much as my own, I guess.

Service was excellent. Over the six days, we got to know the workers personally. The breakfast shift waiter, Malcolm, was very sweet and Razor, the evening bartender, was very funny and personable with lots of Jamaican advice. ;)

My only complaint is there wasn't a hairdryer in my room. I had to walk to the office to get it, which was fine, until for two nights straight, the ONLY hairdryer they had was with another guest. I suggest the front desk to have more than one.

We will return to Tensing Pen in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestServicesTP, Guest Relations Manager at Tensing Pen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

First let me say that we are honoured to have been given the opportunity to be apart of your celebration. Congratulations!!! from the Management and Staff at Tensing Pen.

I am sorry about your experience with the noise off the streets and our neighbour's dogs. We are working relentlessly to curtail this problem. I am glad that the upgrade to the Rock Cottage 1 was more comfortable and relaxing. I know the view from the Rock Cottage 1 is amazing. You are nestled in your own little private, unperturbed room.

For your future stay with us I just want to inform you that we do have rooms with king size beds. Some rooms have queen size beds , while the others have king size beds.

Once again thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and we pleased to know that you have enjoyed your honeymoon with us. We look forward to hosting you again.

TP Team

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I loved everything about my stay with the exception of Shugamama greeting me at the gate and licking and sniffing guess at the dinner table. I also think there should have been at least 1 television in each villa. The restaurant was AWESOME!!! The views TO DIE FOR. The staff VERY HELPFUL. I will return in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayeed in the Long House
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
GuestServicesTP, Guest Relations Manager at Tensing Pen Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Our valued Guest,

Thank you for your review , we are thrilled to know that you have enjoyed the personalized service and warm hospitality provided by the Tensing Pen team. We do try to create the perfect setting for pure and natural relaxation, we allow each of our guest the opportunity to leave Tensing Pen in a new, relaxed frame of mind by eliminating TV's. The aim is for you to leave all your troubles behind and escape to Tensing Pen where life is simple.
Your concern in regards to Shuga will not go unnoticed, my warmest apologizes.

We look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I would have gone with excellent as a rating but we spent $475 (taxes and fees incl.) per night and felt that at that rate, there should have been a coffee-maker and coffee in the room. I would love nothing more than to enjoy coffee in bed with that view. The water pressure was just ok and as far as I could tell there's nowhere on the property to enjoy a warm soak (none of the rooms have tubs and I didn't see a jacuzzi /hot tub anywhere). However, the pool is really pretty and artfully built in to blend with the surrounding cliffs.
I did love the campy feel of the lodge (there are games and books available to borrow).
Given the price, I recommend this place to specific kinds of people and I'm telling you, you will love it. If you love dogs or even just like them, the 3 resort dogs will win your heart. If you love unique, rustic buildings this is the place for you. We stayed in Seagrape II and found the bed so comfy and the view of the ocean from the bed pretty dazzling. We loved the big beautiful balcony. I saw plenty of colourful birds from my comfy lounge chair. There are oil paintings by local artists at the front desk and in Seagrape II, so I imagine some of the other rooms have them. They contributed to my enjoyment of the space.
I really enjoyed doing yoga in the yoga hut. Very cool experience. If you've never done it and want to try, they will bring in an instructor for you. I loved having the space to myself.
I enjoyed how low-key everything was. We came from a more hyped-up environment so it was nice to chill at TP before coming back to the real world.
The staff were pretty nice -the front desk staff in particular.
The only thing that disturbed the peace was something that is out of the resort's control and likely an issue for all resorts on the cliffs; road noise and dogs on the road barking. Fortunately the sound of the ocean drowns some of it out. Nonetheless I recommend bringing ear plugs or white noise music with some speakers. We got by without them.
The included breakfast is typical of what you might have at home -toast with PB & J, yogurt, fruit juice and yes COFFEE. Having the breakfast included took the edge off the steep price. Normally, I find booking with Expedia you get the best rate but I was told that I could have gotten a better rate booking directly through the resort next time. If I can pay less, I will absolutely be back and stay a little longer.

Room Tip: If privacy is important to you, I'd recommend either Seagrape I or II. There is no air condition...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#4 of 80 in Negril
The Caves
The Caves
#7 of 80 in Negril

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!