“Our home away from home!”
Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My husband and I got married at Tensing Pen in October of 2001. We have returned several times since then and look forward to many future visits. We like to travel to other destinations around the world, but we feel that Tensing Pen is kind of our home away from home. The service is wonderful; almost invisible, which makes it perfect. The rooms are fabulous, and each "cottage" has it's distinct flavor and appeal. People who whine about lack of air conditioning and bugs should just stay home! As for people saying there is lack of service in the bar and restaurant during weddings, I can only shake my head and wonder what people come to a place like this for. There is no lack of entertainment, bars and restaurants off site. That is part of the appeal of going to resort that is not all-inclusive. This is Jamaica at it's finest. We have been to several other places in Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean, but none compare to the ambience of Tensing Pen.

• Stayed: October 2003, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ckcottawa

Reviewed August 18, 2008

I spent two nights at the Tensing Pen during my honeymoon last week. It was our second time on the Negril Cliffs but our first time at this beautiful, romantic property. When we got to the resort a bit early, our room was not quite ready, so we had a cheap beer at the bar and inspected the grounds. Everything you see on the website is true to what you get. We stayed in Garden A, which had great air-conditioning, a beautiful four-poster bed, and very adequate towels. The amount of clean and fluffy towels was one of the most impressive things about the resort! I actually think if I came back in the middle of summer, I would choose Garden B as it appeared equally nice but was cheaper. At another time of the year where AC was not a personal necessity, I might have splurged for a Pillar room. We were very satisfied with our room, as it was everything promised. The cleaning was impeccable and that was much appreciated. The bed was heavenly and we slept very well. The shower pressure was very strong.

One small complaint I had was that children were on the property. There was a family with 3 boys from around 8-12 years old, and another family with a boy about 5 years old. It seemed a bit unsafe for the 5 year old, and the 8-12 year olds were relatively well behaved, but still a bit rambunctious for my honeymoon. They were mainly just yelling to each other and would often take the “best” chairs near the swimming area and stay there all day. However, I do not fault the resort as it is clear on their website that children are allowed.

We did not eat any meals on the property other than the breakfast. We found the continental to be a bit sparse in comparison to the continental at CocoLaPalm (really only toast, fruit, and one type of cereal), but you could supplement with hot food for a small price, which we enjoyed. The second morning we had a hard time finding a place to site and eat breakfast due to the resort being full. We checked out Catch A Falling Star one night for dinner and would likely stay there on a return trip to Negril Cliffs if they added a pool, since they seemed to have a little bit more social of a scene over there, rather than just couples and families (obviously not really a negative for TP). Catcha also had televisions in the rooms. I normally would’ve welcomed no t.v. for a few days, but with the Olympics on, I did miss it a bit.

The pool at the resort was absolutely gorgeous, and a highlight for us. We also enjoyed jumping off the bridge, and floating in the water. Snorkeling around is fun, but there isn’t much to see.

Overall, if you crave an intimate, relaxed, and impeccably maintained resort, you can’t go wrong with Tensing Pen! It met our expectations for a short romantic stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lizzy911
Reviewed July 21, 2008

After very extensive research, we chose Tensing Pen for my daughters wedding. We had a group of about 40 people. The resort is absolutely fabulous in every way, the wedding planner Sonia, is awesome and our wedding turned out perfect. We had most of the resort for our wedding party with the exception of two rooms. This is a perfect layout for a wedding of this size. The food for the wedding dinner was one of the best meals we had in Jamaica, the chef is superb. We really enjoyed the service at the hotel, the exquisite linens add a touch of luxury to the rustic Jamaican atmosphere. The resort is located on the cliffs, which is a little quieter than the crowded beach. The only thing we felt that could have been improved was there was not any food available at odd times, which we found occured several times on our stay, because of different arrival times from the airport etc, we couldnt even get a snack. They only have breakfast, lunch and dinner at set times. There are a few really good local restaurants within walking distance. Overall, I would highly recommend Tensing Pen, it made a beautiful setting for our wedding and the pictures we have to show for it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank aestheticgirl
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My Wife and I honeymooned at Tensing Pen, beginning on June 22, 2008. When booking the trip, we knew we wanted to stay on the cliffs of Negril, but were having trouble deciding between several of the resorts. We ended up choosing Tensing, and are so unbelievably glad we did!
The Resort is absolutely immaculate and beautiful. I agree with the other reviewers that the website pictures dont do it justice. It was a lush, tropical jungle, with hidden pathways leading to the secluded villas, and opening onto the beautiful cliffs and ocean.
We stayed in Rock Cottage I, and found it perfect. It was well maintained, and from our porch, we couldnt see another villa. The staff were always curteous, and wanted to help however possible, without being over the top. The complimentary continental breakfast was the best I have had, with fantastic freshly-squeezed orange juice, local fruits, toast and coffee. If you want something more, they will cook it up, and for a VERY Reasonable price.
I was continuously amazed at the fact that the resort was fully booked when we were there, yet we felt like we were the only guests they had. The ocean was wonderful, even if a bit rough, and the resort provides mats to float on, which were great.
If I had to give some negatives, it would be (1) that there was no air conditioning in the villa, which made it a bit hot at times. We left our doors open at night, though, and it just seemed to add to the experience of Jamacia. Also, we went during the hottest time of the year, and I am sure it wouldnt be as bad during the fall and winter months. (2) we did have a bit of an ant/bug problem, in that any crumbs or anything like that were immediatly swarmed by ants, coming off the cliffs, I am sure. Kind of a catch 22, in that when you leave the doors open and the lights on at night, you will get bugs. All the windows were screened, though, and my prediction is that if we had closed the doors, it would have taken care of some of that.
This hotel really gave us both the vibe of Negril. It was laid back, open air, local, etc. It was easy to venture out of the gates and onto West End Road, and if you do, go see Tony at Tykes Bikes, to the right out of the gate and about a block up. He is a taxi driver, and the nicest guy around. He will give you good rates, take care of you, and cares about what he is doing.

One other thing I want to note is that due to a wedding at Tensing pen, we had to move to Rockhouse Resort (just down the road) for the last few days of our trip. While it was nothing to sneeze at, it really couldnt hold a candle to Tensing. It was much more expensive ($50 per night), much more crowded (the villas were right on top of one another), and much more commercialized. It felt almost like an all-inclusive resort, which we were trying to get away from. The restaraunt was great, but you can walk there from Tensing Pen.

If you want a wonderful honeymoon, or just an incredibly relaxing getaway, go to Tensing Pen. It was incredible.

3  Thank piperkoby
Reviewed June 26, 2008

My fiancé' and I visited Tensing pen, 2 weeks ago and instantly fell in love with the hotel. We fell in love with Tensing Pen so much that we actually booked them to do our wedding in August 2009 . Most hotels don't look like the picture they post on their websites, but Tensing pen actually looks better than the pictures we saw before we went. This place is picture perfect. The staff is amazing, I don't think we ever saw one of the staff without seeing them smile. They are so courteous and friendly. The food is awesome, I especially loved the jerk chicken. I wish we could have stayed more days. I can't wait to have to go back for our wedding.
We stayed in the Pillar Suite and this was the best hotel room I have been in, it was like we were in our own world. The view from the balcony was spectacular and waves were so romantic. The pool at tensing pen is great, that was my favorite spot. And while at the pool the bartender comes and takes our drink orders, I thought that was so thoughtful. Did I mention the view from the restaurant, I've never seen anything like it in my life.
What else can I say? This hotel is all that and more, you wont regret going there :-)

5  Thank Poohbear18102
Reviewed June 19, 2008

We were able to arrange a room at Tensing Pen at short notice, having been forced to check out of another hotel because of a lack of hot water and a musty room that set off allergies.

Tensing Pen was the total opposite: nice, clean, ultra-spacious rooms. A super courteous staff, from the front desk to the cook to the bartender to the guy that helped us with our bags. They all made the stay a wonderful experience. The grounds are fantastic, refreshingly devoid of large masses of concrete that most hotels seem to love these days. We stayed in Sea Grapes 1 and had a wonderful view of the Caribbean Sea.

Overall, a fantastic place to stay, and we will definitely be going back.

3  Thank toyracer
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Can’t wait to go back! Visited in mid April...Not to repeat other reviews but this place is pretty cool. Been to the Rockhouse before, but prefer T.P. because of its lush grounds and not as 'stuffy’ attitude the Rockhouse can be at times (still fun though}.Stayed in the 'patio room' because it was the only one available and totally loved it. Very private with cute little porch shared with 'Sugar' the hound dog, one of 3 dogs on property, these guys add to the ‘mellow-down-easy’ attitude. Breakfast was good and for a couple of bucks more you can get pancakes, eggs etc. Had dinner one night in the restaurant which was a little pricey but very good. The staff was very polite and always smiling. We ate off property for lunch and dinner at: Serious Chicken (good), Kauba? On the beach {very good and a free p/u didn’t know till after cab ride}/across the street to left? (good) and next door at 'Catch a Fallin Star twice {good}.We didn’t swim much because the water was a little rough but easy access to sea. Beers and stuff were bought across street in little market and in town at 'times square’ which has a market with good prices. One down fall they could improve on is the restaurant, it closes at 2 pm and then reopens for dinner later. They could provide a little extra between these times, no big deal though. Our next trip to Jamaica (kid less) will definitely be Tensing Pen!

• Stayed: April 2008
4  Thank scott1459
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#1 of 16 in Port Antonio
Jamaica Inn
Jamaica Inn
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!