“Amazing in so many ways”
Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I must start with letting you know that I am a "all-inclusive" "big name" resort traveler. With that said, obviously Tensing Pen was out of my comfort zone and not on my radar! Friends convinced my husband and I to book and we will never regret our decision. The personal attention that we received is beyond what I would expect. The employees when out of their way to visit, answer questions, help you with whatever your needs were, and made sure we were comfortable. The food is the best I have ever had.....and I travel frequently. If something was not quite right, the employees made it right!! I could start naming the employees, but I would not want to accidently miss giving kudos to one because everyone was outstanding.

I had read previous posts about the dogs. Yes, Suga, Tensing and Beesie live at the resort. These dogs will steal your heart instantly, even if you are not a dog lover. They do not beg, they leave you alone and only really interact when invited. They are clean, quiet, and well behaved. They actually added comfort seeing them after dark.

If you want to relax and be pampered, book at Tensing Pen...."You Deserve It"....that one was for you Razor!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Garden B which was a tropical view. If you stay in the Garden Studio up the stairs you...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jackie B

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My fiance and I stayed for 3 nights at Tensing Pen a few weeks ago. I want to start off by saying that I booked our stay in March of 2013. I read a lot of reviews on here from when I first booked up until a week before we left. Some of the reviews were making me a little nervous about a few things. That being said, there was not ONE thing we did not like about the resort and our stay!

We were welcomed by a friendly reception staff and offered our welcome drinks. We then got showed to our room, Rock Cottage 1. The view was amazing!! We loved the scenery and sound of the waves hitting the rocks outside our cottage. Our room did not have AC but with the floor fan and ceiling fan we were very comfortable. The room was spacious. It had a very nice porch that we sat on when rain showers passed by and at night to look at the stars!

We ate almost all our meals there. We did not get any extras for breakfast and just ate what was included. We were satisfied with this. They had lots of fruit, cereal, bread (with peanut butter, jam, and butter), coffee and tea. They had a lot to choice from their lunch menu and the dinners were fantastic! We really enjoyed the jerk shrimp and chicken.

We got a couples massage from Maxine and Georgia. My fiances parents stayed at the hotel after we left and got massages with them as well. They were very good! One of the best I have had! The massage hut is at the end of the property. There are curtains to make the area private but you are outside to listen to the sound of the waves. A very tranquil and island feel!

We were able to totally unwind with no TVs and the beautiful scenery. My only regret was not jumping off the bridge but we will return to do that one day! Hopefully sooner than later!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LESLIE F
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

But I'll give it a shot anyway. We LOVE Tensing Pen. I'm writing this from our Pine Pillar balcony. The views are stunning, the grounds are gorgeous... we love the meandering pathways surrounded by lush foliage and flowers. We are so happy we went with the Pine Pillar. We were uncertain because we are "cool" sleepers and there is no a/c, but in January, the room is cool and comfy at night. After seeing most of the rooms from the outside, it seems our room has some of the best views. Everyone here has been helpful, warm, and friendly. The manager greeted us at check in with his adorable little boy. We had a delicious dinner here. We had a great lunch at Sharks, across the street. The curried lobster there is awesome. We also had a romantic dinner at the Rockhouse restaurant. We thought the lobster was a little better at Tensing and it was less expensive at Tensing than at Rockhouse. After dinner, we went to the Pushcart for some live music. Fun place. Our only regret is that our stay is so short, but we'll stay longer next time! We stayed 2 nights here and now we're on to Half Moon for 4 nights.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank HeatherColorado
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed 8 nights-- it was so perfect. The rooms are beautiful and food excellent. If you are looking for a place to unwind this is it. Better then the pictures!!! Not a place for the super active.....a place to read, swim, snorkel, relax at the bar and forget about everything. Have you ever been disappointed when you got to a resort. The pictures just aren't accurate? This place is better then any pictures. Now if I can only convince my wife to return. The only downside was the Tax to the resort.....a depressing view of Jamaica. Ps-- go in the summer-- price was better then a NY motel and some nights only 5-10 people in whole place!!!!!!

Room Tip: Get Rock Cottage 1 0r 2....we also loved the cove cottage-- spent a few nights in each!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David M
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This has to be the world's best place on Earth to vacation in Negril. My husband and I renewed our vows in December 2012 and been in love with Tensing Pen since. You check in as a guest but leave as family. Everything was perfect and you couldn't ask for nicer staff. We are planning,already booked actually, another trip to Tensing Pen in November this year. I couldn't think of anywhere else I want to be in Jamaica than here. Thanks for the memories. Jaime in Illinois

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be perfect no matter which one you choose, but the one we loved the most is th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jaime T
Reviewed January 18, 2014

As others say this place is a hidden gem in Negril. This was the most romantic vacation my husband and I have been on so far, in the most beautiful location imaginable. Staying in the cove cottage we had great views of the sunset, and fell asleep at night to the sounds of the waves crashing on the cliffs outside. There are so many hidden spots to explore around the resort and the water is beautiful. We had several meals at the resort restaurant and everything was delicious. My favorites were the Rasta Pasta and the Snapper with pumpkin and curry, we had the continental breakfast everyday (toast, cereal, fruit and yogurt) and also enjoyed the grilled cheese and tomato sandwich from the lunch menu. We had a couples massage one afternoon by Maxine and Georgia who where so amazing, it wasn't your usual hotel spa massage, they did a better job than our osteopath at home. We left with so many great memories of jumping off the cliffs, floating around the pool, having leisurely conversations with other guests and the great staff, going to walks to check out the local restaurants, we have never thought that we would visit the same resort more than once but this place is so great that we will probably end up going back one day. It was nice to be able to leave the hotel and go to the market, or to grab a bite at Ahh Bees or Ras Rody's (both are a must!) I could go on and on about how great this place is, The perfect mix of relaxation, great food and beautiful scenery made this the trip of a lifetime for us. Thanks to Mikey, Racine and Owen for their great hospitality :)

Room Tip: The cove cottage is central in the resort with a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melgreen
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

3rd stay here,...always a great experience! Spectacular scenery and perfect sunsets. The staff is exceptional and went out of their way to help create a beautiful time for us. Mikey, Bruce and the night kitchen crew were amazing! The dogs are favorite friends and make us feel very secure at night. Thanks Tensing Pen!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank jimmyminny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#18 of 80 in Negril
Jamaica Inn
Jamaica Inn
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!