New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Negril
Jefferson, North Carolina
“Tensing Pen Resort Review for dates of 6-12 thru 6-16”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Jamaica for our son's wedding. Our stay and the ceromony was held at Tensing Pen Resort. I felt as though I was in paradise. Tensing Pen was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. We felt welcomed and the entire staff made sure we were taken care of. The resort makes you forget the rat race of life and allows for a very relaxing time. The food at the restaurant was excellent. When we wanted to go shopping the staff at Tensing Pen made sure our transportation was right on time. My son's wedding was beautiful and I give alot of credit to the resort for making it that way. As any parent I want the best for my children and for this memoriable occassion Tensing Pen Resort was the right choice for our family.

Room Tip: The location of our room was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Lanny B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had our sons wedding at Tensingpen early this May. The entire experience was beyond expectation. The food,the decor,the setting,the service,the incredible staff and management....all first class! We had the whole property for our guests which provided for a fun filled experience...swimming, dancing and the time of our lives. The guests rated it as "best wedding ever"...many want to make it an annual event!!
Thankyou TENSINGPEN.

Room Tip: All rooms are great... Depends on your price point... Premiers are Pine Pillar and Rock 2. Great ho...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 969Joe_G_13
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My perspective may be a bit skewed from other's, because we were there with a wedding group that had reserved the entire resort and went all out, but regardless, I thought this place was amazing. It was also nice that we got a little discount for being part of a large group.
We stayed 4 nights in Cove Cottage (very romantic and a great view). There was no AC, but we did not miss it. There was a powerful ceiling fan and also a standing fan that along with a dip in the pool right before bed each night kept us nice and cool.
The pool area was always clean and well maintained and had an awesome view.
We had fun jumping off the bridge and swimming in the clear ocean water.
There are hammocks all around that are well shaded, perfect for reading (or a nap).
The grounds were beautiful full of flowers and hummingbirds.
The lodge area is a lovely setting for eating and drinking. The continental breakfast is excellent (fresh papaya, mango, and pinepple; two kinds of cereal; yogurt; toast with guava jelly and peanutbutter; fresh squeezed orange juice), and the extra protein items available for purchase were very good. A warning that they make their coffee STRONG. :) I added a little hot water each time and it was perfect.
The dinners we had at Tensing Pen were catered reception type meals, so I'm not sure if it's their normal fare, but the fish dishes were fantastic, and the jerk chicken of course.
The rest of the time we ate at several other restaurants around Negril.
Checking in and out was quick and efficient. All the staff were very nice and always checking to make sure we were ok and if we needed anything. With some of the less than savory characters that were out on the street at night, I felt very safe and secure that the gate was guarded at all times. We especially enjoyed chatting with Bruce! A very nice man. :)
The dogs at the resort also added to my feeling of security. There was some barking a couple of the nights/early mornings, but never for more than a moment. If it means they are alerting the staff to something unusual, then I don't mind the momentary disturbance. During the day they are very sweet and love to be pet. If you're not in the mood and you tell them to "shoo", then they do. They are very laid back dogs.
The wifi here is spotty, as with anywhere on the island. I had expected to be able to use Skype and/or Facetime to talk with my kids back home, but was only able to get Skype to work once. If we go back, I'll go ahead and pay for some international minutes to take with me.
Overall, we had an amazing super fantastic awesome time, and I would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: If you need Air Conditioning, be sure and verify in the room description first, but we were there du...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Erin H
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This place is great! love the location , love the vibe and love the people ! No TV or radio just lots of R&R! next door you will find Ras Rody Ital Food! this place was great loved the sip and the festival! Rody is a good guy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vince0072
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed 4 nights in Garden room B. Nice little cottage. Great porch. This place is quiet with lots of greenery around the cottage. Great place for a couple to chill out. Food was good. The restaurant closed at 9 every night and they do not make any drinks other than what is on the menu. You could see the ocean looking out the side of the porch. The rooms are very clean and well kept.

Room Tip: You could hear noise from the other guest staying above you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank seekingthesun62
Fair Oaks, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Tensing Pen Resort in Jamaica for four days, attending my niece's wedding (her fiance's family, from Canada, have been vacationing there for 20+ years!), and found the place to be spectacular. The resort has several thatch-roofed cottages spread out over the property, in varying sizes and styles, surrounded by lush vegetation and all with great ocean views. It's on the Negril "cliffs" -- no beach, but right on the water and easily accessible by jumping or diving from a wooden walkway...or you can get closer to the water via concrete paths and a ladder for easy entry and exit. Even though we were there during the "off" season, in May when the Caribbean can be very hot, the temperature was balmy and the breezes were luxurious. Food and service was outstanding. The property is very secure, which makes it a bit separate from the outside world -- and there are wonderful local restaurants with great Jamaican staples like curried goat, jerk chicken & pork, and "rice and peas" which we've always called rice and beans. For pure relaxations, this is an outstanding resort!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank apjb33
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I just returned from Jamaica doing sit inspections at several all inclusive resorts and independent resorts and I will have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by Tensing Pen. It was so cute and romantic. If you are looking for a truly unique, quiet and romantic vacation, this is the spot. It is the complete opposite of an all inclusive resort. Some rooms have air conditioner and some do not, but that doesn't matter compared to what you are gaining in peace, relaxation, a unique experience. I am trying to find the words to explain how much I enjoyed touring this property. It was amazing. It looked like a place where I could truly escape reality, relax, renew my spirit and return home feeling like I had a real vacation.

Room Tip: The Rock Cottage II is the most requested room at this resort.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EJtheTravelDiva
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#5 of 88 in Negril
5.0 of 5 stars 909 reviews

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!