“PARADISE FOUND”
Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed December 17, 2012

tensing pen is the best spot in negril! beautiful, private, wonderful staff who will help you make the most of your trip. if you never left the front gates you would not have missed a thing! I took my wife to the 7 mile beach so she can experience how annoying it is, constant hassels from the locals. at tensing pen you are sheltered from all the chaos outside. we did venture out daily for lunch etc. we found the food to be better at tensing pen, and the prices where also better. as for food outside the resort we found the push cart to be a great experience. go to ricks only to see the "high" divers otherwise there staff sux! and food way over priced! we travel alot and found tensing pen to be a rare treat!

Room Tip: all the rooms look great we stayed in the bungalow only because the water front rooms where booked...

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed at Tensing Pen in 2009 and loved it so much, we decided to get married there.

We booked our rooms over a year ago - bungalow, garden cabin, garden a, garden b, longhouse. Closer to the wedding - additional guests booked Seagrape 1 & 2, cove cottage, garden studio and south house 1 & 2. We didn't book the place out, but had a nice big group of family & friends.

All the rooms were beautiful and every guest at our wedding felt they were staying someplace special - no matter what their room cost. I was thrilled to stay in the longhouse - and would LOVE to stay there again!

Each morning, we all woke and headed down to the lodge for coffee or tea. I was up many mornings at 5:30, because I could not wait to get up and start my day. Other guests slept in but coffee was always fresh, hot and strong, tea always available. The breakfast put out was usually fine for me, but I did sometimes purchase a breakfast and it was really good and reasonably priced.

A day at Tensing Pen can be so fun and relaxing. Hang out in a hammock or in the lodge, read books, sleep or use the wifi, swim or tan at the pool, or grab a mattress and float in the ocean. If you are brave, take a plunge off the bridge.

The neighborhood is relaxed and going out on the street during the day is fine. Two of our favourite places for lunch were just outside the gate. Ras Rody's for delicious organic vegan food and Ahhh Bees for amazing (veggie) burgers and fries. A convenience store where you can buy alcohol, drinks, snacks and others grocery items is also just outside the gates and a short jaunt.

The staff at Tensing Pen couldn't be nicer or more accommodating. The restaurant is amazing, we ate there several nights and were always happy with our meal. The chefs are really talented and very creative. They even made meals that were not on the menu by our request. Everything was presented beautifully and our guests raved about many meals. Pumpkin soup and Ackee quesadillas were especially popular.

Our guests had a ball and everyone's needs were taken care of. I felt in the week that we were there to be treated as friends and welcome guests at Tensing Pen. Absolutely everyone was very nice and totally professional.

OUR WEDDING WAS AMAZING!!!!

This property looks like a dream, and having a wedding here made me feel like I was living in one. Shanique is the nicest and most accommodating wedding coordinator ever. She is so relaxed it made me totally relaxed too. Nothing was a problem and Yah Mon was the usual response to every request I had.

The ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner and dancing all went off without a hitch. I had a fabulous mento band for the cocktail hour and excellent dj for the dinner and dance. FUN x1000 almost every guest told me it was the best wedding ever!

I love Tensing Pen and will return here time and time again!

Best vacation ever!!!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MsTree11
Reviewed December 13, 2012

To start with this property is one of the most interesting and serene places I have ever been. We stayed in the Long House with our family. It is by far the best view as it is front and center directly behind the bridge that connects the two halves of the resort. We stay here after four days on 7 mile beach. We stayed here to finish our vacation on a relaxing note. Tensing Pen delivered on that account. The water can be chopping so don’t plan on spending too much time there is you aren’t a good swimmer. But the pool is nice as are the hammocks, cabanas, and lounge chairs for your enjoyment.
The surrounding area has a number of places to eat would recommend Three Dives, Ivan’s, and Push Cart and drink Rick’s café for the sunset. Be warned Rick’s is a bit of a tourist trap in my opinion. You can eat on premises if you’d like we had lunch a couple of times and it was nothing special pizza was good. Not much in the way of Jamaican food. Breakfast is included, again nothing special. Never did dinner so can’t say much as we like to spread the wealth around and try to eat local when we can.
We found the staff to be quiet but professional, not as friendly as you find in other resort type situations. But this place really isn’t that type of party down vibe. Just enjoy the views, chat with your neighbors, chill. It’s all good.
I have read a number of the other reviews for this resort and most are spot on. We didn’t experience any weddings or have any problems with the noise. The dogs woke us up one night but for the most part I liked having the dogs around. They come around often during the day to be petted and to lay around with you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Herbhaubrich
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Not our first stay at Tensing Pen, but finally they did something about the bartender whose only spoken words were "every time." Not only did the replacement staff not say "every time" they actually approached us at the pool to see if we would like a drink! That is the first time that has every happened. I had trouble with the new girls name working the bar with Owen, but I think this was a long overdue and bar revenues from us definitely went up with the two of them working the bar! Terry, Terri Ann, Camila, Ruth, Mikey, Ninney all great happy staff to be around and always trying to look after your needs. We would certainly return again.

Room Tip: Most second floor units do not have AC, the exception I am aware of would be South House II
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Seamuis
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I have been to Negril numerous times, but this was our 1st time at Tensing Pen. We found it to be very relaxing! We are not the type to tour much anymore, but love to get out and about in Negril to the shops, craft markets and especially the restauraunts. We love the Negril people. Tensing Pen was clean, quiet, had a great view and very nice office staff! We stayed 3 nights in Rock Cottage II, which was spacious, had A/C and a great view! We then moved to the Cove Cottage for 2 nights. It was not quite as spacious and had no A/C. That was a little tough-we handled it with the ceiling fan and stand fan that were provided, but not quite as comfortable. However, it had another GREAT view! I was also lucky enough to book a massage and facial with Maxine. If you have the time and the money, it was well worth it, and she had magic hands. The only real downfall is that the staff in the resaurant is very inattentive. We had to ask to order and ask to get drinks. You would think that they would bust their behinds for the guests in that area, but no so much....But, you are in Jamaica, (soon come). We will certainly stay at Tensing Pen again!!!

Room Tip: Rock Cottage II had great location, size, was very quiet and had A/C. Cove Cottage was a little sma...
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This was our first trip to Negril and our first stay at Tensing Pen. What a wonderful place!!

We stayed in Rock Cottage 1 and nothing beats opening your eyes and seeing the ocean right past your toes. The ocean is calm at TP due to the coves. We spent many a hour floating in the water. We never had trouble finding a beach chair or a hammock. We took a boat past Rock House/Xtabi and the water was much rougher there. The pool is also nice...on the small side, but never too crowded.

I thought the food at TP was wonderful. It takes a while to prepare, but that's what happens when meals are made to order. We had two dinners at TP and enjoyed them both immensely. Cocktails are pretty pricey by the time you add in the tax and service charge so I recommend mixing some of you own when you aren't at dinner/pool. Leave the pina coladas to the bar though. Phillip makes THE BEST pina coladas!!

The vibe there is so relaxed! I will definitely come back.

3  Thank artyn
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My friends and I were recently guests in the Long House at Tensing Pen while running in the Reggae Marathon. We LOVED it. The staff is all very friendly. We ate at the hotel restaurant and at other locations. Each time we left the hotel, the staff arranged transportation and reservations. The coco bread is amazing and the chef made some for me when the kitchen was closed. I love Tensing Pen most because it is small, quiet, and off the traditional tourist path. There are plenty of hammocks and chairs for laying out. Owen, the bartender, make a good rum punch. I am a dog lover, so the 3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks were a relaxing compliment to the atmosphere. We will most certainly be back again and again.

Thanks for the hospitality TP!

Denis and Sharre

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sharre B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#18 of 80 in Negril
Geejam
Geejam
#1 of 16 in Port Antonio

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!