“Perfect Paradise Wedding!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Miami Beach
“Perfect Paradise Wedding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2007

This past June my husband and I held our Wedding and Honeymooned at Tensing Pen. The setting couldn't be any more perfect for a destination wedding. We reserved the entire property for our guests for 4 days.

Almost all the rooms/cottages have spectacular views of the deep blue
sea. And each cottage has it's own uniqueness.

We were told by the staff that our wedding was actually one of the largest Tensing Pen had ever hosted (75 guests) to date. Our wedding coordinator, Garett completely transformed the ceremony site, cocktail and reception site with exotic florals and white linens draped from the roof to the floor. Our guests almost couldn't recognize that it was the same areas of the property that they had spent their time dining, sunbathing and swimming.

We had our ceremony at sunset and by the time the evening set in, the
setting grew even more intimate as the pool was lit with coconut shell candles and tikki torches were placed around the Sea Sung hut with numerous candles on each table.

The food was amazing the entire weekend. Even though lobster was not in season at this time, the staff was able to reserve a batch of lobsters before the season ended in order for us to have it on the menu for our wedding. We were so amazed at this effort made by the staff. Also, try the pumpkin fritters. They are delectable. One of our favorite appetizers there.

The entire staff was so accommodating to us as the bride and groom and to our guests. We truly received VIP treatment.

Our wedding cake was very unique, a 3-tiered, pearlized seashell cake
that Garett decorated that very day of the wedding.

Our family and friends still talk about the amazing time they had that weekend at Tensing Pen. They are memories that will hold us for lifetime. We can't wait to go back and visit.

If you're looking for a remote and private location for your destination wedding, Tensing Pen is the perfect place!

• Liked — Cliffside setting
  • Disliked — Food and drinks were pricey.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank ElteeMiamiBeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Hebrew first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

Overview: My husband was looking online for a perfect honeymoon spot and booked Tensing Pen - Great Choice! This was our first trip to Jamaica and we fell in love with Tensing Pen. We stayed in the North Pillar for a week and never tired of sitting on the deck and watching the sunsets.
I also never missed my cell phone, computer, TV, alarm clock, etc.... The four poster beds, ironwood floors, crisp white linens, and thatched roofs were exactly as I dreamed a tropical resort. The property was beautiful and in full bloom with tropical flowers (and even bananas). The service was top notch - Ice Water was our waiter and Razor Blade tended bar...both are friendly, professional, and fun to talk with. The office staff is very accomodating and will schedlue any number of activites for you during your stay. Do as much or as little as you like. We went snorkeling, toured the Black River and YS Waterfalls, and even indulged in massages at the resort. We also walked up to Rick's Cafe to watch the cliff divers.

Price: Not cheap but worth it!

Food: Again, not cheap but worth it. Free breakfast overlooking the ocean and rocky cliffs...can't beat that. Dinner was always great and the setting is romantic. If you don't like seafood, you may want to eat elsewhere. However, there were usually two dinner choices. Loved what they did with lobster.
We did not eat family style (sitting at one big table), but there were plenty of smaller tables in the dining area available for a more intimate setting.

Drinks: A little pricey but good. You can buy liquor at the market across the street from the resort if you want to mix your own. Watch out for the overproof rums! We also noticed that many people in Jamica seemed to have a nickname. Our bartender's "real" name was Sheldon, but we teasingly gave him an American nickname, "Stud Muffin". He in turn gave us Jamican nicknames. He makes a mean cocktail called "the dirty banana"... if you double the rum it is called a "filthy banana". Definitely try one.

Outside the resort: Be cautious...people will walk up to you and offer drugs of all sorts. It is a poor area and the culture is very different, but I found most of the people I met to be friendly and hospitable. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe.
Security at the resort is excellent. Also, there are three dogs that wander the resort, one is named Tensing (after the original dog the resort is named after). Very friendly animals...to the guests that is. If you go shopping, remember to barter. You can even negotiate cab fare.

Schedule: There is none. If you are worried about the time, then you are missing the point of taking a relaxing vacation to Tensing Pen. It is very laid back and to me that was refreshing change from the rat race of DC.

Children: We only saw one. She was a toddler and I can understand not wanting to travel without her, but for older kids this is not the place. There is very little that they would find interesting or entertaining. AND, in such a beautiful and romantic setting, I would be more inclined to spend my time my significant other. I have children and would opt for Disney World (something along those lines) for a "family vacation".

NOTE!!!!! Do not try to rent a car and drive in Jamaica. Speed limits and road signs are more of a suggestion than a law. They drive crazy!!!!!!!! I would also suggest taking a valium and bringing horse blinders with you for the taxi ride from the ariport to Negril.

It was a fantastic place and absolutely perfect for a honeymoon. I have been married for 9 months and still can't stop talkng about Tensing Pen. I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — the beauty of the resort and the privacy of each villa
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kathleen70
Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2007

My husband and I have been coming to TP for several years now and even got married there last year, but in one short year so much has changed in a negative way. We used to love TP because of its laid back approach and the rusticly beautiful and romantic lodging. The property was never over-crowded as guests would take day-trips off the property.

This year changed all of that. I'm not sure if there was a marketing campaign or what happened, but the clientele is vastly different than what we've experienced in the past. In recent years it was full of couples almost exclusively. This year there were more kids than I could keep track of. There's not much for them to do up on the cliffs, so why parents insist on bringing them I'm not sure. Kids are fine and I have nothing against them, but there's a time and a place and this is neither. They have ruined paradise.

Also, most likely due to the pool, the place feels much more over-crowded. People stake their places early and it's tough to find a quiet place to oneself. And the crowd that was here during our visit were slobs. Empty beer bottles were left laying around, and sticky sauces were spilled and left behind on the umbrella stand/tables. I guess these guests assumed their mess was for the staff to clean up. This was not how it used to be. Guests this time around expected to be served and catered to, which totally changed the vibe of the place.

There's also a planned expansion which, in my mind, will only add to it's demise. 10 "luxury" accomodations are planned with jacuzzis, ac and room service. The crowd that will be attracted to that is the exact crowd we used to come to Negril to avoid. Looks like we'll be forced to find another sleepy, romantic resort. It's certainly true that you can't go home again. Sob. :(

• Liked — Clean, very private rooms.
  • Disliked — No longer romantic getaway it used to be. Please bring it back.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank nycanita
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

My inlaws rented some rooms for us on this property for our honeymoon, and I don't think I could have imagined a nicer gift. The hut and grounds were straight out of a travel brochure, and they had adorned our bed with hibiscus. The room was large and had a small refrigerator. There was also a large closet and bathroom in the room, and a nice patio with a perfect view of the ocean. The massage cabana was next door, and while it sounded tempting when I arrived, there was really no need as the location was so relaxing on its own. The property was VERY private and it was rare that we saw others.

There weren't a whole lot of flowers there, but there were some wild orchids in the trees if you looked up that were really lovely.

The dining hut had a fantastic view of the ocean and no one really believes my photos are real when they look at them.
Breakfast was fantastic and had a wide range of fruits and pastries, but I did have to wake up early to enjoy it.
For dinner there is only one option each evening, and if you cannot eat sea food you are always out of luck. We did attend one day, but found the meeting awkward... everyone sits at one table, and it was nearly all couples who really had not come to meet people. I'm sure it is different at other times of year, though.

The front desk staff was fine and the place was well-protected. My only complaint along these lines is that the staff did not take kindly to our family friends (native Jamaicans) picking us up and dropping us off. They were still polite, but... less than nice to them.

It's a bit random, but there are quite a few very large crabs around here! I never saw one, but they often rustle in the foilage at night, which usually made me scream. Be prepared, lol!

I would not recommend this to families. There is little going on within the grounds, and there is very little within walking distance that would be interesting to children. In addition, small children could not swim here; the huts are on cliffs and the ocean is a bit rocky here.

• Liked — It was BEAUTIFUL
  • Disliked — People in the area of the cliffs always seem to be begging for something
  • Stayed June 2003, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mel3Nyc
north america
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

I vacationed a week at TP and it was awsome. I was actually a bit hesistant as it seemed too relaxed for a young person such as myself; but it definately swept us away. I can't put into words just how beautiful the place is , i stayed in the South Pillar and i loved that room so much i cried the day i left. Every single thing was perfect and i wish i could really have stayed even a week longer.

I would reccommend TP to anyone wanting a peaceful, laidback ands 100% relaxing vacation.

• Liked — uniqueness of the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

I just returned from my first trip to Jamaica and I had an absolute blast. I will start off with the only downside of my trip which was the flight there. My girlfriend and I caught a plane from Cleveland to Ft. Lauderdale through Continental and had no problems, but once in FLL, the problems began. Our Air Jamaica flight got delayed indefinitely because of maintenance issues, however the plane they were using was not even their own plane. Our flight ended up being canceled and everyone had to leave the gate and return to check in. There we were given a voucher for Spirit Air who was going to take us the rest of the way. From there it becomes a nightmare, you can contact me if you want more information...my advice is not to fly Air Jamaica and try to get Spirit or a U.S. Carrier if you are coming from the U.S.

We ended up arriving at Tensing Pen at 2am, tired from traveling since 5am the previous day. As we arrived, the security guard was waiting for us and took us straight to our room, Rock Cottage I. No check in or hassle what so ever.

Rooms: Our room was nice. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were amazing. We were given an oscillating fan and there was also an overhead fan which was perfecting fine for us. The bed was a little bit creaky but not a big deal to me. Be prepared for wildlife in your room because the huts are so "outdoorsy" that it can not be helped. We had some salamanders living in our place, and a few other small bugs, but no huge issues. The water pressure was a little low in the shower, but acceptable. The view from our room was BEAUTIFUL, every morning I woke up to the ocean and the sun, it was amazing. The only downside to RCI is the pool is nearby so if you try to take an afternoon nap, you may be awoken by guests partying it up...no problem mon. The resort itself was also beautiful. I visited Negril Escape when I went scuba diving, and TP blew it out of the water. Somehow Negril Escape is rated higher on here, and perhaps its because of other issues, but I can tell you its certainly not because of the rooms or the resort's beauty. Most all the wood around Tensing Pen is hand carved, from the dressers in the rooms, to the stools are the bar, to the railings. It was all very unique and original. They could do a little better job keeping up the landscaping, but I think it was because it was the low season. Overall I give this category a 4.5.

Service: I thought the service was very good. Ice Water and Razor blade are definitely the best in the bunch as far as food and drinks go, but the front desk was also very helpful. Any time we needed a cab, the guards would go out of their way to make sure we got a good one and would be safe. The front desk was extremely helpful to me on several occasions. First, they did a great job setting up an amazing scuba trip for us (Negril Scuba Center). Most of the other groups I saw had around 1 instructor for every 20 or so students, we had 3 students in our group. Also, when I needed to cancel a reservation for a trip to Mayfield Falls, they did it no problem, though the driver was already on his way. Lastly, I had an issue with switching my credit card the last day and the front desk did exactly what I asked and furthermore, gave me up a follow up call to let me know they had done what I asked. This call meant a lot to me. The Power did go out in our room twice. Both times it was taken care of very quickly by maintenance. The first time took about 20 minutes, but the 2nd time only around 5 minutes. The cooks also did a great job. Ice Water and Razor Blade are class acts. Razor Blade is one of the funniest people I have ever met, if you go to this resort do not be afraid to get to know him. He is the MAN!! Lastly, nobody their ever expected a tip (outside of what was included in the bill). My girlfriend and I both thought that everyone there was nice, however we did hear one bad report from a group we met there about bad service at breakfast, because of this I give this a 4.5 as well.

Value: Not much to say here. You get what you pay for 99% of the time. For my budget, this place we a little expensive, but I wanted to get a great time, and was willing to pay for it. If saying that I would definitely return to this place defines value, then I would have to give value a 5, but I would return in a second.

Cleanliness: The maid did a good job cleaning our room everyday. They did not mop the floors daily, I know because we spilled something one day and wiped it up ourselves, bu could still see the outline the next day. However, it was gone the day after that. However, besides that everything was very clean. The crew did a great job sweeping up the resort and keeping the pool clean also. They would tidy up the rafts and all the other equipment daily. Most importantly, I was not afraid to leave out my cell phone, expensive jewelry, or anything else for that matter. I did so on several occasions with no problem whatsoever. I give cleanliness a 4.5 also.

Dining: Dining at the hotel was somewhat of a complaint. The food for lunch and dinner was delicious and some of the best we had, however, the options were limited for each meal and if you are a vegan, you will have to eat elsewhere. The portion sizes were fine for my girlfriend, but a little small for me (185 lbs male). I also felt as if the meals were somewhat overpriced. Breakfast was free and was not bad. If you love fresh fruit you will get plenty of that, they also offered eggs, toast, coffee, and some cereal. For me, I'm not that into fruit, so it got a little boring for me. Also, I felt the drinks were overpriced, but you could walk down the street to the market (literally 2 minutes) and get snacks, beer, drinks, whatever for dirt cheap and not have to worry about that.

*Side Note: We tried several places in Negril for food, but two I have to point out are Norma's and Selena's. Norma's is apparently as close to a world renowned restaurant as you can get in Jamaica, its received a bunch of awards and I will tell you the food is the best I have ever had, seriously...you must visit. Its a three diamond restaurant and it is pricey, but worth it. Selena's was pretty much a hole in the wall, but the food was also amazing and it was dirt cheap. If you are afraid of flights, and chickens running under your table, this is not the place for you. But if you are willing to just have some fun, try this place, but the food is delicious.

I give the food in Negril a 5, but for the resort just a 4.

Overall, I just I'll give tensing pen a 4.5, but I'm convinced if I had stayed anywhere on the beach I would not have had the time I had. The cliffs are amazing. If you are considering the cliffs, and cant afford The Caves, put Tensing Pen at the top of you list of places to consider.

P.S. It's extremely touristy, but you should definitely check out Rick's. Bring your bathing suit, but don't eat there. Just drink and enjoy the festivities.

• Liked — The Ocean all day....EVERY TIME!
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rush66crp
Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

Found Tensing Pen Through tripadvisor. Tried to stay at the Rockhouse, but they were booked. Tensing pen wasn't the best at responding to emails, and their website wasn't as clear as I would have liked it to be as far as amenities (like air conditioning).

Tensing Pen was a really nice property. It has about 9 cottages. The setting is really nice and unique. It is on the West End in the cliffs. No beach at all. Just rock. That's part of what drew me to this place. There's only four ways to get in the water: 3 ladders and a 20 foot high bridge that you jump off of. It was fun. The water was rough when we got there and never let up. We were scared to get in at first, but saw others in the water and then tried it out. Even though the waves bring you up and down, we were never in any danger of getting pushed against the rocks. You can almost jump in and stay in the exact same spot if you want to without moving at all. It was really fun and relaxing. It was my favorite part of the trip, and I would have stayed in the water the whole time if I hadn't been burnt so bad. Negril was really hot.

We stayed in Seagrape II, which is the ground floor of the cottage, Seagrape I was on the top floor. Just the 2 rooms make up that cottage. We didn't have a problem being on the bottom, sound wise, until our last night when some people with teenagers checked-in. Seagrape II is one of the only 4 cottages with air conditioning. I wanted to make absolutely sure so I called Jamaica one afternoon to make sure before I booked.

It was a decent room. Bed was ok but creaked, the pillows hurt my neck bad. Has a good air conditioner. Had a big open air shower. Room isn't sound proof, had big wooden blinds that let sound in and out. Could easily hear if someone walked by.

Important: our last day there, they started breaking ground on new cottages which will be located immediately behind and to the side of Seagrape II.

They had a decent breakfast included in the room rate: scrambled eggs, toast, bunch of fruit. Their lunch menu didn't have anything I wanted: Jerk Chicken, some kind of fish, and Jamaican fruit plate. Their dinner menu is supposed to be good, but it is no less than $25 a plate.

Tensing Pen has nothing to do at all but get in the smallish pool and swim in it's cove and around the rocks (which I loved). There was no TV in the room which was a surprise, and no alarm clock (which I can understand because you're on island time, but it was stupid not knowing when you could go to breakfast, and when I needed to get out of the bed to check out).

Rick's is literally about a 4 iron away (about 180 yards down the road). There were a lot of people there. There is a mini mart right across the street from T.P. - bought beer there and water (I swear the locals kept breaking in front of me until there was just no one left to check out but me).

Our last night, we ate at Rick's, and left as the Sun went down (not dark 5 minutes). As we come up on the mini mart (Craven A), we saw a bunch of locals handing out. In an alley by the mini mart, I noticed a local young man with a MACHETE in his hand walking menacingly toward this young woman who was walking backwards away from him. My wife and I started walking faster. Some local kept saying "watch your head man!" as I was walking by, and then a bottle breaks and shatters right by my feet and me and my wife sprint to the Tensing Pen gates which were about 40 yards away. I didn't see it, but my wife said the girl through the bottle at the buy with the machete and missed. Don't know what happened after that.

The area outside of the Tensing Pen fence is really poor and scary. The machete incident really disturbbed us. It basically sealed the deal that we are not going back.

Had many solicitors for marijauna, mushrooms, ecstacy, etc. I came away feeling that the entire Jamaican population just wants to fleece you for as much money as possible while you are there, and really couldn't care less about you.

Junior from Clive's Transport service drove us back to the airport. He was a good driver. Glad I didn't attempt to drive myself because we probably would have died. Don't rent a car, Jamaicans drive crazy and on the wrong side of the road. The Jamaican airport isn't any better. Flying back, the airport had a power outage, Northwest couldn't find our captain, and we were delayed due to mechanical issues. And only the gates are air conditioned, not the check in areas or lines.

All-in-all, I would give Jamaica a C- and Tensing Pen an "A-." It's just a rough country, and we probably won't go back.

• Liked — The cliffs and water
  • Disliked — No tv, clock
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lwdavis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#6 of 84 in Negril
Negril Tree House Resort

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!