“Even better than I anticipated!”
Review of CocoLaPalm Resort

CocoLaPalm Resort
Ranked #12 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Independence, MO
“Even better than I anticipated!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Our Junior Suite was very nice. Air-conditioned, spacious, roomy bathroom and closet storage, kitchenette with small refrigerator and sink, nice patio with table and chairs and two chaise lounges, very comfortable beds. Lush flowers throughout the courtyard, all carefully clipped. Restaurant had good food and and service. Staff throughout resort was the friendliest and most helpful I have ever encountered. Just beyond the restaurant is the beach where the resort has security to protect its guests. Best beach ever with chaise lounges provided free. The free breakfast was tasty and generous. If we visited again, I would choose CocoLaPalm again. We visited during the off-season (October) so some area attractions were closed but I still would recommend visiting in the off-season to anyone who doesn't like crowded conditions.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Finnish first
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We enjoyed our stay greatly. While Cocolapalm is not a 5 star resort it provides excellent value for the money. A great location, and a staff that hands down is the friendliest I have experienced in my 8 trips to Jamaica.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was my fourth trip to Negril and my second stay at the Coco La Palm. When planning my trip, I knew that I wanted to stay here again. Last time I stayed at the Coco La Palm, we had such an amazing time and experience. I live in New Jersey and travel quite frequently out of the country and when I do, I am looking for a simple, authentic experience. I don't travel expecting the same type of things I would at home. That is what I initially loved about this particular hotel-a local spot with authentic food and cozy rooms just steps from the beach.

When I returned this past July, we were so excited to be back. Especially since Negril is my all time favorite place on earth! When we entered the room, it reeked of cigarette smoke as if someone had spend the last 3 years chain smoking with the door closed. We called maintenance and they came and sprayed febreeze and that helped for about 10 mins. Fine we thought, we won't be spending much time in the room. When it was time to go to sleep, the bed felt like a cement block! It was terrible, we looked and realized that it was just a box spring and no actual mattress. When we requested another room we were told that they were full and that we could not be moved and that all the rooms were smoking rooms! The a.c was also quite difficult to manage it was either freezing or I was sweating to death.

Next we had dinner at the restaurant on the property. We remembered enjoying the food so much and was disappointed to see "Jamaican Inspired" dishes like fettuccine alfredo and the sort. Who wants to eat fettuccine alfredo in the hot Jamaican sun? Not this girl. All the other options seemed to be watered down in flavor as well as spice. The grill bar was no better. Very little of the food was cooked fresh, the cook just put already cooked food in the microwave. The only thing i enjoyed was the hot dog and chips which I can have that at home. It was a real disappointment.

The other thing was the cats. I LOVE cats and I a consider myself a cat lady, but they were everywhere especially in the dining areas. It wasn't a big deal for me but I could see a lot of people quite disturbed.

The one pro of the trip is the staff. They were amazing and incredibly helpful. Granted the majority of them work on "island time" but that is expected. If you are going down for breakfast, expect a good 20-30 mins before you even get your food. The continental breakfast is free and ok but better than the dinner and lunch options. The ladies at the front desk were super friendly and incredibly helpful when recommending other places for us to eat.

When we checked out, we looked at one of the brochures and saw in big bold letters how the hotel was now proudly owned and operated by a Minnesota couple. Which is great and no disrespect to Minnesota, but we couldn't help but think that this might have something to do with the watered down experience we had.

We love Negril and will be returning for sure but not to Coco La Palm. In fact, we will probably be staying right next door at Idle Awhile.

Hope this was helpful!

Room Tip: Check your bed when you get there make sure that thing is comfy!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Ariel H
Connecticut
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed at cocolapalm for two nights in a deluxe king room. I'm a VERY picky hotel guest and was I must say I was pleased with Cocolapalm. My reviews tend to be long so I'll state pros/cons before going into detail.
PROS
very polite/friendly staff
very clean/spacious room
lovely grounds
great beach/location
stiff drinks!

CONS
hard to find rooms
cats (yea, random cats everywhere)
food (depends on your taste)

My deluxe room was located in the 400's, right behind the volleyball space. It was clean and the a/c was GREAT! This trip actually wasnt unbearably hot like my previous trips to JA but if you come during the summer, this is the type of A/C you want. Its an individual unit rather than one that the hotel controls that just never seems to cool the room down.
The bed was super comfy and I didnt feel the need to rip the top cover off and throw it in the corner like I usually do if the linens arent crisp white. Its actually sort of thin so I believe its being washed in between guests. No bugs in my room at all, no damp/wet smell that you usually get when staying on the beach.
A king deluxe room is great for 2 ppl and the bathroom was bigger than normal, as well as the shower. The shower had some great smelling shower gel and shampoo in it too. Everything was nice and clean!

As for the "cons", if you dont like cats then dont stay here because they like to hang out at the bar/dining area lol I dont know why/where they come from but there were alot of them. But I like cats and they were like small kitten baby cats looking for scraps, very cute. Not a bother.

I had some jerk chicken one night and we also had the continental breakfast in the morning. The jerk chicken was good to me as an American, but my Jamaican bf prefers the food on the streets. He did however like the morning pastries and coffee.

The only "problem" I had was I kept getting lost trying to go from my room to my friends room or up to the front desk, the pathways intersect all over. It was just confusing to me and there were no signs pointing to show which way to go, so you have to memorize that walkways.

Its a really laid back resort and they seem to take really good care of returning customers so I will most certainly be staying here again.

Room Tip: I honestly couldnt tell the difference between a deluxe and standard room except the deluxe rooms ca...
5 Thank AmenityzGalore
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was completely blown away by the charm of this hotel, the rich lushness of its grounds, as well as the warmth and friendliness of the entire staff. Never before was I greeted with such enthusiasm by just about everyone; from security guards to housekeepers to bellhops, from the chef & servers to front desk and maintenance crew, and even from supervisors to the manager. They were all amazing and always smiling. Most notably were Kerieann, Opal, Patrice and Romaine at the reception area, bellhop Chester, and server Clive. My junior suite room was located on the second floor overlooking an exotic and well manicured garden below. The room was very spacious throughout including the patio, and except for a microwave, was adequately equipped with all the necessary amenities. The food served at the hotel was extremely delicious and quite affordable. Lunch was usually served at the bar/grill and my favorite were the bacon cheeseburger with fries, as well as the rocky mountain catch, which comprises of fresh fish fillet grilled to perfection and served with grilled half tomato & baked potato. Breakfast and dinner were available at the restaurant. Although I was never up early enough for breakfast, I did make it to their a la carte dining on a few nights. I particularly enjoyed the St. Paul's spicy cajun snapper fillet, the cocount crusted snapper fillet, the rum & lime broiled chicken breast, as well as the chicken Kiev. It was well worth every dime/dollar I spent on this trip and to stay at this marvelous property. My hats off to GM Mr. William Vassell and his phenomenal staff for doing such an exceptional job.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank JhayR
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I just returned home from our 6 night stay at the CoCo La Palm Resort in Negril, Jamaica. We booked the air and hotel through CheapCaribbean.com. We got a great rate on a King Bed room and flight. The room rate includes continental breakfast, which we enjoyed near the beach every morning. We ate a couple times at the on site bar/restaurant and had good food with reasonable prices. Every day the bar has "Happy 2 Hours" with half price drinks. If you like bananas, try the Dirty Banana or Hummingbird drinks. Across the street is the "Best in the West"
where we had delicious fish and jerk chicken. Next door to that is a small store where you can get drinks for your fridge. The only complaint we have about Jamaica is all the locals bugging you to buy their stuff when you are trying to relax or walk on the beach. I do have to say that our resort had great security guards and all they had to do was start walking toward the beggars and they would leave. We always felt safe no matter where we went. You can take the glass bottom boat out to snorkel close by for $25 pp, they are anchored right on the beach. We also went on an excursion to the Dunn's River Falls, it was a long drive, but you get to see alot of the country.
I would recommend this small resort, it was clean,quiet and comfortable, they have 2 pools and a large hot tub in a beautiful setting.

5 Thank m0mfhb
Buckhannon, West Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We vacationed in Jamaica for the first time this summer, it was a wonderful experience, the people of Jamaica are so kind and lead such a simple life. We stayed at the CoCo La Palm in Negril as we did not want an all inclusive. This was a local hotel that was nice and clean and the staff was so very friendly. This property is not a Marriott or Hilton type resort and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it has what you need, clean rooms, great staff and good food. We will go back to Negril and stay at CoCo Again. A couple for sure places to check out, Rick's Cafe to watch the cliff diving and then walk next door to Ivan's for a great dinner in an beautiful setting. Also, check out Kuboya for dinner, really cool and good food. One thing I will warn you about on 7 mile beach, which is totally gorgeous, there are alot of people selling everything, just say no and they do move on. As they say in Jamaica, "no problem mon".

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family