“Justified Addiction!”
Review of CocoLaPalm Resort

CocoLaPalm Resort
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I briefly hesitated at doing a repeat review of this resort; I was waiting for some new adjectives to be invented to aptly describe yet another adventure in paradise! But given my love and sincere admiration for this property, it would be a crime not to, once again, give it the props it truly deserves. My mantra; 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and that also seems to be the brand and marketing strategy of this amazing treasure called CoCo LaPalm, the gem of Negril. Ok, I admit I am biased and more than partial; since 2000, this was my 7th trip to Jamaica, my 3rd trip to Negril (3 1/2 if you count the day trip from MoBay in 2000) and my 2nd stay at CoCo. I was scheduled for some surgery and needed a quick getaway and the selection of CoCo for a 4 day/3 night "quickie" was a no brainer. Having previously visited in 2004, my return to the property was more than the traditional Jamaican 'welcome home'. There is a feeling that embraces you once you go under the welcoming archway and it takes you in and holds onto you beyond checkout (and I have to warn you; checking out can be somewhat an emotional experience- I suggested they keep a box of kleenex at the front desk for those of us who actually do get a little verklempt at having to leave as this experience WILL have a profound, lifelong affect on you!) As an HR Manager in the hospitality industry, when I travel, I always zoom in on the employees of a resort because how the staff is treated by management and property owners is, in turn, reflected in how they treat their guests and in this case the standard and level of service at CCLP is exemplary and that by which all others should be measured. The overall feeling and experience is like being invited to the summer beach home of a dear and lifelong friend. There is nothing this staff will not do to make your stay more memorable and enjoyable. The grounds, the beach, the property are well maintained and are post card perfect. My room, #523 a deluxe king, was spacious, cleaned daily, always had hot water with great pressure and "arctic level" air conditioners! It was off the beaten path and had a private little patio perfect for, let's just say "enjoying some traditional Jamaican vegetation" (wink!) The food and beverage service both at the restaurant and at the beach bar was 'Jamaican style' :we will take care of you but it's on OUR time and I had 'no problem' with that! Case in point; you order a chef's salad at your typical restaurant and the chef goes to the walk in refrigerator, pulls out a date stamped bowl of greens probably produced the night before, slaps on a piece of ham, a morsel of cheese and calls it a day. Not at CCLP; when a guest placed her order at the beach bar, I observed the female chef (who's name escapes me) make a several trips to the refrigerator to hand cut each ingredient and arrange it perfectly in a bowl as if we were sitting in her kitchen at her own home! Now that's what CCLP is all about! A few shout outs to some key staff members who contributed to a wonderful time; GM Willam Vassell, Housekeeping Mgr, Miss B and Front Desk Agent Keriann; thanks for a wonderful Manager's Reception on the 4th of July (despite Debby the Drunk girl!); Thanks to Michelle at the beach bar, Kedora at Marleys, Tokeshia for the amazing beach massage, to Gibson and Dixon, the AM/PM beach security team (great conversation w/ Dixon!) and to Brent and TC, for the insanely fun "private" glass bottom boat ride...ya mon, dat was da bomb! Other highlights; the guests I met, especially renowned artist Waif Mullins and wife Beth from Chico, CA; the fish strips lunch special at Sunset Beach (ask for Sofia), Al's jerk chicken across the street at Best of the West...that name is not by accident! (I did had a less than pleasant dining experience at Ivan's@ Catch A Falling Star - see review- however, the management responded quickly stating the head chef had called out sick and offered complimentary drinks and dinner upon my return to Negril!) The ONLY negative on this trip was something totally out of CCLP's control; the construction noise from the property renovations next door, formerly For Real, soon to be Sandy Haven. CoCo LaPalm....thank you and MUCH RESPECT!!

And my advice to those reading this contemplating your first trip to Jamaica..GO, just GO and do not forget the strongest insect repellent possible - the morning/evening sand fleas are vicious! But most important, just remember one thing; don't be a tourist...be a GUEST...embrace the culture, embrace the people, embrace the laid back lifestyle...and it will embrace you right back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank WBNVA
There are newer reviews for CocoLaPalm Resort

Reviewed July 18, 2011

My husband, 3 children ages 18, 20, 22 and I stayed at Coco in June and had the best vacation ever! We like to experience the culture of the people when we travel and for this reason we choose not to stay at all an all inclusive which locks you away from the people of the region. The staff at Coco was fabulous, the room sparkling clean and the staff was always ready to help when needed. Security is great on the beach 24 hours a day but I am not sure why security is needed as the people are all so friendly everywhere we went and I can't imagine they would ever harm anyone. I suppose security is needed because there are a lot of "farmers" strolling the beach trying to sell gonga (weed) but you simply tell them no and they go on their way. Jamaicans do not like to be ignored just like most people so try to always say no politely and they are not offended. We were fortunate to have a friend who lives in Negril who recommended we stay at the Coco La Palm and we are glad we did. Location is great, dead center of the beach and you can walk to almost everything. Don't be afraid to go out onto the street and get some food from the street vendors. Truly yummy. Try some fresh fruit on the beach from the fruit lady who wears a basket on her head and be sure to get a pattie from the pattie man. We had the best room at Coco (the beachfront) and we loved it. Literally steps away from the beach. I, did, however, fall down in the shower the first day so be careful of the large step there. Be sure to go to the West End of Jamaica for a different experience. Most locals hang out here and not the beach area (a bit past Rick's Cafe).

Food was just so-so at Coco La Palm but there are hundreds of other places within walking distance. Monday cocktail party is a lot of fun. But, if I don't have to cook it and clean up the dishes, I pretty much will eat anything.

We did some excursions with our friend. We went horseback riding and went up into the mountains and had a tour of Zimbali Mountain Retreat which is a total organic resort run in true Rastafari style. This was by far the highlight of our trip. Look up the retreat online and get in contact with Mark and see if you can go and visit. It is something you will never forget. We also rented a private glass bottom boat and had the captain supply the food & spirits for the night and he took us out on the water for sunset and we went snorkling in the caves.

Our family is avid travelers and we all agree this was our best vacation yet. The only thing I would warn a future traveler about is the nasty sand fleas. Be sure you pack bug spray with high deet in your check-in luggage and before you venture out at sunset spray your legs down or you will get some nasty welts on your legs which take weeks to go away. Not a pretty sight.

Thanks to all at Coco La Palm for a memorable vacation. We'll be back.

5  Thank shakermad
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Stayed at CocolaPalm 26th June - 10th July 2011, booked resort based on previous guest reviews. The resort is well kept, right in the middle of the Seven mile beach, perfect location. The staff at Coco from the lovely ladies in reception, staff in the restaurant (breakffast & evening), the guys who look after the beach area (sun loungers towels etc.,) security, the gardners, and Beverley (cleaned my room) are the people who make Coco a very good resort.

I stayed in a Junior Suite (236) overlooking the pool and lush vegetation (mango, breadfruit trees, and lovey flowering shrubs. the suite was massive, high domed wooden ceilings, really large king size bed (bigger than my king in the uk!) 4 people could have slept in it with room to spare - Bathroom was very big, twin sinks , lots of closet space, one of the biggest shower cubicles I have ever seen with shower heads a both ends, really good water presure throughout my stay. Really powerful AC pumped out cold air as soon as you pressed the remote (great). Large fridge for water, and the much needed 'Red Stripes!!). a big plus for me was the 'electronic safe' in the suite, no worries re valuables money camera's etc.

Breakfast was a feast in itself , upgraded every morning approx US 3-4 JS 250 (approx)
I ate the jamacian traditional most morning, ackee and salt fish, snapper with all the trimming, no need for lunch (or you coulf just have the continental which was complimentary).

Evening meals (when I ate at restaurant) was good. Michael the Chef was attentive to the diners and would come out of the kitchen to check that evertything was ok with your meal. He spiced up a few meals for me (being Jamacian I like 'spicy' food), the oxtail stew and curry goat was as good as I make it.

CocolaPalm beach is just the best and appeared to me to be the busiest resort in the two weeks i was there (talking walks along the beach- they def. had more guests). There beach front is kept in pristine condition, the beach is well shaded, the sea is warm, clear , calm and not very deep. The guys who look after the beach area do a really good job and started about 4pm clearing up empty water bottles, red stripe bottles fallen leaves etc, ready for the next days sun worshippers!

Security on the beach was also good, during my stay there were 3 diffrent security guards, the beach sellers were not a problem to me , just acknowledge them (yes/no)
they sold a variety of goodies from cake, ice cream, patties, lobster, trinkets etc. the security guys were there if you did not want anything and they started to approach, a good system (they all know each other so there is no hassle).

Went into negril town on couple of times, check out the beach area there (no hotels), and support the local 'bars' on the beach, they really appreciate it. Also check out the local traders selling food , really good value , had some really tasty peppered prawns and rice from vendo opp Coco one evening.

Did' Rick's although no sunset, but good atmosphere, also did a day trips into the hills via Chukka Tours that was an interestting day , great natural water falls, lush vegetation and a very informative guide (sorry can't remember his name|)

CocolaPalm lives up to its reputation, , if what you want is beach life, sun, relaxation, good food, friendly staff, then you will not be disappointed.

Will be booking for Feb 2012

Used Fabian Transport for my transfer to and from Coco - Fabian was attentive from my first e-mail contact to finally meeting me at the airport (provided me for $20 with mobile phone) definately kept cost down when call uk/usa.

Keep up the good work Coco and see you next year -
ONE LOVE !

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank claudette52_11
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Stayed 27th June to 11 July 2011. My husband and I travelled with our 3 adult children in their 20's from the UK. We all wanted a reasonable standard of accommodation and the kids wanted a lazy holiday spending most of their time on the beach with easy access to food and drink all day. CocoLaPalm delivered both. We chose to stay all 14 nights in this one location (couldn't face repacking and moving) but we travelled to other parts of the island for day trips. We had a rental vehicle so sometimes ate at the beach bar (jerk burgers are good but expensive). At other times we drove a few minutes 'down town' to buy patties or chicken and chips lunches at a much more reasonable price. We all had fridges in our rooms so we bought sodas and bottled water in bulk from a supermarket in Green Island which we regularly drove through.

The kids also wanted 'round the clock' internet access and travelled with laptops. Wi-fi connection is mostly available around the pool area but not accessible in some rooms (unless near to the pool). However if you have your own laptop you can get the connection access code from reception without addition charge. The internet cafe is charged as an extra but we were never lucky enough to get a connection in there so returned the code to reception who refunded the charge each time without issue.

This hotel has a beautiful beach front position which would be hard to beat. The rooms and beach are clean and comfortable but I would not stay at any less than a 'superior room' which is what we booked. Staff are second to none and reception staff are outstanding. I would recommend this hotel (in fact I have already done so to my sister and brother who will travel soon) and I would return a third time.

Areas for improvement would be the excessive noise which can be heard from some rooms. My daughters stayed in room 311 near the front/reception (towards the road) and were constantly disturbed by noise from the adjacent property and also from what appeared to be a maintenance area. My room was 330 adjacent to the pool and we had no complaints at any time. My son had room 211 (facing car park) which was fine except that he could not use his laptop in the room as he could not connect to the wifi from this position.

We had breakfast almost every day and had dinner once at Cocolapalm. Both are ok but service can be slow and this seems to be a theme throughout Jamaica. We ate at 'Catch a falling star' up on the cliffs. We were blown away by it location and the decor but left very disappointed by the poor service (long delays between each course). Breakfast vouchers are brilliant but when staying for 14 nights you may run out of options. Vouchers are currently worth US$6.50 and most breakfast options are a maximum of approx US$10 including banana bread, chilled water, coffee and juice. This is therefore well worth having.

Activities and trips have to be organised and paid for either by you or via the hotel as there is limited entertainment laid on. There are ‘2 for 1’ cocktail hours on week days, a Managers complimentary welcome party and the odd ‘beach party’ usually something like limbo dancers, fire-eating etc followed by a local live band.

Security on the beach, in the room (a safe which you programme with any pin number you chose) and in general are of a high standard. We felt totally safe.

Thank you to Cocolapalm staff for making our holiday an excellent one!

Room Tip: Choose a superior room or junior suite. Do not change your money at the hotel as you get a very low...
2  Thank paauguste
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed at CocoLaPalm Resort from July 5-9, 2011. This was a last minute change from "Nirvana" On The Beach (not appropriately named), which was such a dump we were forced to look elsewhere for our stay in Negril. Because this was a last-minute accomodation, we had to take the rooms that were available during our stay.

For the first two nights, we stayed in a Junior Suite overlooking the pool. That was an incredibly nice room! Very spacious, with two queen-sized beds, kitchenette, dining room table, and separate bathroom with a shower big enough to sleep in! Also worth noting is that the Junior Suites appear to be in buildings which have been recently remodelded.

The remaining nights we tried a "standard" room, a "beachfront" room, and a "deluxe" room. The standard and beachfront rooms are in older buildings which need some serious remodeling. I would stay away from a standard room at all costs, and while the beachfront rooms have a nice view, the room itself is old and in need of remodeling as well.

The deluxe room also overlooked the pool, and while it was not as nice as the junior suite, it was much better than the standard and beachfront rooms, and it was also in a recently remodelded building.

The grounds themselves are very nice, and the property is located right in the middle of the famed seven-mile beach in Negril. The beach is pristine, the sand is clean and white, and the waters are gorgeous. The property has all of the amenities you'll need - restaurant, grill, bar, beach towels, beach chairs, etc. The towels and beach chairs are at no additonal cost. The resort also provides 24-hour security on the beach.

There is also plenty to do right from the beach. We snorkled and parasailed, right from the comfort of our beach location. ANd, of course, the prices are negotiable.

In sum, I would definitely stay at CocoLaPalm again in my next visit to Negril, but ONLY if I can secure a Junior Suite overlooking the pool.

Room Tip: Stay only in a Junior Suite overlooking the pool!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JurisDr
Reviewed July 9, 2011

This was our 2 time @ CCLP and our 5th to Negril and we will be going back to Coco again next srping as well. The staff are second to none , the food is ok and your smack dab in the middle of 7 mile beach with lots of good food options close by within walking distance .The hotel is very clean and well looked after ,daily maid service and the grounds are spotless. The beach is well awesome as well as the sunsets ,there are no worries when your at CCLP go and enjoy..........

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank hotspot33
Reviewed June 29, 2011

My sister and I stayed for the second time and it seemed better this time than last (as we had a great stay last time). The rooms are spacious. The beach grill food is great mixture of local and foreign style casual cuisine as well as an open air restaurant with higher end items on the menu. The prices on breakfast couldn't be beat with the discount card given to guests staying at the hotel. The staff were friendly and curteous. It's a nice place if you don't want the crowds of the large "compound" style hotels. You can still get access to activities but you have to pay. Some of the vendors are a bit pushier than others but there is on site beach security to help out if things get to heavy. Overall I would recommend this place!

1  Thank edmcokogirl