My oldest daughter, who is 18 and I went to Jackie's on the Reef and just got home yesterday. We had a wonderful time. I had purchased the trip on Living Social after reading about it decided to go. The reason I am taking the time to share with everyone, as this place is unusual and is not for everyone, but for the people who it is for, will LOVE it. If you are someone who enjoys a tranquil, spiritual environment that includes yoga and sitting looking out into the ocean, health foods, talking with other like-minded yoga-types, and taking a technology break, this is for you. I teach online and am on the computer constantly, so taking a break, turning off the phone, etc. was unbelievably rejuvenating.
I have read some of the other reviews and want to share my take on them. Jackie is a very nice person and is far from being an evangelist. I think the person may have said that because she is spiritual and willing to engage in those topics. I would consider her more "new age" and very open. I also saw some critiques of the rooms. I found the room to be amazing. The walls are stone and there are screened in windows with slats. Great breeze coming in and you can hear waves crashing. While primitive in some ways, it is very clean and comfortable. The outside bathroom was just fine. It's connected to your room, but open air. See pictures, it's awesome. It's a real change from what you are used to, which is part of the charm and fun when you travel.
Each day someone comes to teach yoga and all of them were wonderful people. The food is very fresh and delicious. It is very healthy food and the portions are not large, but this worked out well for me, but travelers should know this. What you can do is go into town for lunch for a bigger meal if you so desire. As for going to town, there is a hotel next door that will take you to town to whatever location you desire and come and get you when you call for $10. round trip per person. Not bad. Jackie's property is a bit remote, but that is a good thing.
The other area of interest for travelers is that cab fare from Jackie's to the airport cost me $70 for my daughter and I . It's an hour and a half drive. The spa treatments are wonderful and reasonably priced. I had a facial and a massage. Both were done in a ramada by the water, nice. The pool is not for swimming, but soaking in. It's very small and not intended for someone to do laps.
I will be going back to this place. I found it to be rejuvenating. I travel all over the world, and this is one of my favorites.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a Majestic Wellness Center Guesthouse and Spa. Overlooking 180 degrees of the natural curvature of Mother Earth. On the beautiful Turquoise Caribbean Sea in Negril, Jamaica. Come and clear your mind, body and spirit as you reconnect to nature and yourself in a safe and serene environment. Each morning yoga and meditation, healthy gourmet food, relaxing massages, what else can you ask for? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Jackie's on the Reef reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jackie`s On The Reef Hotel Negril
- Jackies On The Reef Negril