“Would definitely recommend staying there”
Review of Rondel Village

Rondel Village
Ranked #30 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Kingston
“Would definitely recommend staying there”
Reviewed July 29, 2007

My b/f took me to Negril one weekend because I was stressed out at work. We had booked a very cheap hotel first, but when we stopped by, we were not impressed so we decided to travel the strip in search of a good hotel with reasonable rates... We ended up at Rondel Village and fell in love with the room on sight. We stayed in Apple on the beach side.

The room was clean, the linen and towels comfortable, and the AC worked very well. The pool was great, but the jacuzzi was only hot at nights. I am not sure if there was a way to turn the heat on ourselves. I looked around a bit and saw no controls, so we just waited for the nights. Heh. The food was delicious but expensive. The drinks at the bar were overpriced as well. We only had breakfast at the hotel (too lazy to go driving so early in the morning). We went into town for our other meals.

The staff were friendly and greeted us whenever they saw us. The hustlers...well, they dropped their prices as soon as they discovered that we were Jamaicans, but they annoyed us just the same. The b/f got really upset and told some of them exactly what he felt about their behaviour. I just tended to laugh and walk away.

All in all, it was a great stay. We are already planning our next trip!

• Liked — The comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Refrigerator was tiny in our room. It was more a "cooler".
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DianneKingston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed July 26, 2007

My wife and I stayed at Rondel from 7/12 - 7/16 and had a great time. We chose the gardenside rooms and were very pleased. The rooms are way above average for the price. Very large with 2 queen beds, AC, minifridge and tv. Nice covered porch for sitting at night and the small pool just steps away which we never saw anyone else use the whole time we were there. It was very peaceful and even when the Jungle nightclub was having their Thursday night party you could barely here the music over the sound of the treefrogs. Crossing the road to the beach wasn't a problem and there was always someone to stop traffic whether you needed it or not.

The beach area is fairly small but isn't crowded and there are a couple of shaded areas but you need to get there early to grab one. Glendon provides security during the day and does everything from setting up lounges to chasing off aggressive hustlers. The bar is literally on the beach and serves 100.00j Red Stripes as well as any tropical drink you might want. The restaurant is directly behind the bar and the food is good but service can be a little slow if it's crowded. We found that the best way to avoid the wait was to order right from the bar and either eat there or grab an empty table.

Rondels location is just about perfect for exploring the area. We walked the beach in both directions and found that we very close to the exact middle. Nothing was more than 20 minutes away by foot. We found that there were very few vendors this year and that the area seemed even quieter than it should be in the off season.

Finally, I have to commend the staff of Rondel for their complete friendliness and professionalism. My wife and I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean for over 20 years and have yet to find a group that equals what we found at Rondel. Nobody at any time had their hand out for a tip and everyone greeted you with a smile and hello. One great example was one night we were sitting outside of our room and asked a passing housekeeper about the name of one of the plants growing next to our porch. She seemed embarassed that she couldn't remember. When we returned to the beach we found out that she had taken the time to find Glendon and our answer was waiting for us. And this was done on her own time! She was off duty! Just to mention a few of the people that stood out: Glendon, Dwight and Hugh from security and Delroy, Omar, and The Doctor from the bar. If I knew or could remember eveyone elses name I would include them as well. We have a couple more places on the beach that we want to try out but a return visit to Rondel will definately happen for us in the future.

• Liked — size and location
  • Disliked — no clock
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank dcon59
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 3, 2007

We just returned from Rondel. It was perfect. The staff is incredible and the grounds are in amazing shape. We were married there and had 42 guests with us. There was not one complaint. Many, even said that they would surely return. Everyone worked to accommodate our every need. The restaurant is great and has one of the best bars on the beach.

• Liked — the awesome staff and facilities
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank browntown
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed June 10, 2007

This was my 4th trip to Negril in the last 2 years...and after trying a couple of different places, I went back to Rondel Village this trip. I was so glad I did that as I have found my home away from home. I was welcomed back by some very nice people and a beautiful fruit basket.
This trip I tried the Garden Side, as I had heard that it is much more private back there. I absolutely loved it back there. The pool was literally a dozen steps from my front door. Unless I have the need for one of Villas, I will continue to stay on that side.
The rooms were very spacious with a small refridgerator and a nice veranda with a small table and chairs. Maid service was outstanding, but I already new that from my previous stay.
Front desk, Security and Restaurant employees are so very kind. If you interact with them I guarantee that will be a huge reason you will return one day in the future.
I ate breakfast there every morning, but was usually away for the other meals. Food was also outstanding.
Being in the middle of the beach is a huge plus...the best location in my oppinion.
I will be back sometime within the next year and will be staying there again...I really can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Liked — spacious rooms, staff, price and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank beachbargal
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed June 6, 2007

Rondel is a diamond in the rough. And we're almost afraid to talk about it too much because it might become too popular. But good things are meant to be shared so here goes...

Please note that if you want an all-inclusive, this is not it. But the room rate is so affordable that for us to be able to eat wherever & whenever we wanted was a huge plus and part of why we travel: to experience as much of the people, the food and the area.

Negril has a beach to behold--7 miles of white sand, with calm waters that extend for over a mile out. I am not a swimmer so this was heaven to me! The water was so clear, and a few manta rays actually swam close to shore to say hi!

All the hotels are along the beach. Rondel's location was perfect. It was smack in the middle of all the properties so that everything, including the best clubs/bars in town (Roots, Alfred's & the Jungle), is walking distance! Our room was a "garden view," which was across the street from the beach but crossing the 2-lane road was easy enough. They actually have crossing guards to stop traffic, whom we rarely utilized as it was hassle-free.

Our room was quite large and comfortable for two people, w/ AC and ceiling fan. Outside, guava and mango trees abound. The garden view rooms have a small pool w/ jacuzzi so on days we wanted privacy, we stayed there. The beach side villas have a pool as well, but it was smaller & geared for kids.

What impressed us a lot was the friendly & attentive staff. Soon after we checked into our room, the manager met us & gave an orientation! Sure it felt a bit like your old RA in college but we were certainly appreciative; she told us do's & don'ts, what reasonable cab fare to expect, where the closest ATM was, the supermarket, etc. I never got that in a moderately priced hotel in the USA!

The hotel has a restaurant with a beachside bar. A satisfying Jamaican breakfast w/ a fruit plate, coffee & juice was less than $20 which could be pricey everyday but it was good so we didn't mind. We eat anything so if you're adventurous, the kitchen also makes a mean goat stew, as well as seafood dishes. Everything in Jamaica is made to order so everything takes time (we ordered Jamaican patties at a roadside stand & watched the guy literally roll out the dough after we placed the order!) but chill out & don't make them rush--after all, this is a vacation, right?

Other places to try are Montana's, a short walk away (a similar breakfast was $10 & escovitch fish w/ rice & veggies was $14--yum!); Naia, which is a stand in a vacant lot close by (it doesn't look like much but the patties were fresh, filling & cheap--$3! for a large pattie; & Cosmos for great seafood. For the best EVER freshly squeezed OJ, we walked to Shamrock, a small store whose juice is out of this world!

Sure, you will get approached by locals CONSTANTLY asking to buy what they're selling, etc. But a polite & firm NO is usually enough. Most of these people depend only on tourists for their livelihood so we know where they are coming from.

If you are an independent traveler who wants to experience the real Negril, then Rondel is indeed a gem.
Yeah mon - we can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Location, service, value
  • Disliked — No shuttle service from airport
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank MailainMontclair
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed May 2, 2007

My husband and I just returne from four nights at Rondel. We have stayed there several times and will continue to go back. Great location on the beach (kind of in the middle of things). We had a superior room on the beach side - very nice. The rooms have A/C, a small refrigerator (which we enjoy to keep fruit/beer/water cold) and a nice balcony which we sat out on quite a bit. Housekeeping does an incredible job - I can't figure out how they keep the rooms so clean with all that sand being tracked in. We tried to be careful, but it is impossible after spending a day on the beach! Everyone at Rondel is very friendly and ready to help make your vacation more enjoyable in any way they can.

Thanks again Rondel - hopefully we can make it back again next year.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed April 2007
6 Thank sk0lat
Monroe
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We returned 3 days ago from our 6 day vacation @ Rondel, so I thought that I would add my 2 cents. Since I read here that so many people loved staying on the gardenside, we went with their recommendation. I am glad we did. It was nice and quiet. We had a lovely pool and hot tub right outside our door, which we only had to share with one other couple, during our stay. The rooms are very nice and you can tell the property is kept up nicely, all the air conditioners appeared new, the gardens are raked every few days and I couldnt find any problems. There was no loud music that I have heard mentioned before here.
We used the JUTA to and from the airport, the shuttle costs just $20 a person. It is a good idea to make a reservation the day before you leave Jamaica, for them to pick you up.
We found 98% of the people very friendly. The part I found odd was that the office staff were the least friendly. All the times that we walked in, no one smiled @ us. I would get a good morning out of them after I said good morning, only. I tried to get information about a sailboat that we saw and wanted to go out on, but no one knew what boat it was or even tried to help.
The restaurant people were great and very friendly. We only ate there one night, but when we did, we were hot and asked if they could call us when it was ready. We went to our room to relax, while our 14 yr old played in the pool. They then called us 40 minutes later to tell us it was ready, so we went over and sat down to dinner. Nice touch !
We would stay here again....

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family