“Great Value, Pleasant Staff”
Review of Rondel Village

Rondel Village
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed June 13, 2006

We just came back from a long weekend in Negril, Jamaica where we stayed at the Rondell Village Resort. We had a great time, the accommodations was a great value. The hotel is rated as a 2 1/2 star hotel which is about right. We got a great deal through Expedia for a 3 night package including air from upstate NY for approx $560. The room was large with 2 double beds (there were 3 of us). I did have a couple of issues...one being that one of the locks on our door was broken and on the second day we had an ant problem in one area in the bathroom. I must say that as soon as we alerted staff to each of the issues, they had someone there within minutes to fix the problem. The lock was fixed and an exterminator was sent over very quickly to take care of the ant problem. The room was a decent size with plenty of room for the 3 of us. The bedding, furniture, etc. was pretty up-to-date. There was a color tv with cable and a small refrigerator, table w/two chairs in the room. The air conditioning worked great plus there was a ceiling fan in case we had a preference. The room was very neat and clean and the staff was wonderful. They were very pleasant and very helpful and did not mind answering any of our questions and giving us good tour information. My only gripe is the slowness of service in the resort's restaurant. We had breakfast there twice, the first time just for simple breakfasts like pancakes & coffee and tea and toast, it took approx 45 minutes to get served. The second time...again, very simple breakfasts we got served an hour & 15 min later. Needless to say, I don't recommend bothering to try to eat there unless you have all day to spend waiting for your food. Plus the food was average at best. The other gripe was that the pump on our pool was broken and 2 of the 3 days we could not use the pool. We, of course spent time on the beautiful beach, but in the evening, it was nice to be able to sit in the jacuzzi or take a dip in the pool. We stayed in what is considered a "garden" room which means it looks like a cottage and there is a group of approx 4 or 5 of them that sit accross the road from the main office and the beachside. The rooms on the beach side where the office is are more expensive because of being closer to the beach. If I went to the resort again, which I would, I would still stay in the same area that we stayed. The walk is so short that we're glad we saved our money and used it to shop and do other activities. The resort does have 24-hour security so we did feel pretty comfortable and safe. The resort is located almost near the middle of the 7-mile beach with plenty of great places nearby such as Margaritaville, The Jungle Night Club, Alfred's restaurant & bar and plenty of other small restaurants within walking distance. I would definitely recommend this resort. It was a great value for the money.

11  Thank somuchworldtosee

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 7, 2006

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the Rondel Village. Stayed in a 3 - Bedroom Villa on the ocean side of the property w/ friends. The beach was beautiful and just a few steps from our front door, the staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. We enjoyed the pool and our private jacuzzi.

We ate a few meals at the Irie Restaurant and the food was good, especially breakfast. We also visited the Rockhouse Restaurant, Margaritaville and Rick's Cafe and the food at all three was excellent.

A few words of caution though, the security staff is not especially vigilant in keeping away the vendors on the beach. Be prepared to say "No Thanks!" every few minutes while you are trying to relax. Also, there is no shade to be found on the beach w/ the exception of one tree that two chairs can fit under.

Remember to bring lots of small bills if you can, ones and fives. Getting change is close to impossible. Had a difficult time at Alfred's one night getting change at the bar and from the waitress who would have preferred to keep the change from a $20 for one drink. This was our first time in Jamaica, but it seemed to be more of a hassle and a hustle then anywhere else in the Caribbean and Mexico that we have visited.

Overall, it was a relaxing vacation and the Rondel was good for our group as we don't like All-Inclusives.

• Stayed: June 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vermont
Reviewed May 30, 2006

Rondel Village has been my home away from home since around 1999. The staff are wonderful loving caring people...Front Desk crew Donna is amazing at problem solving and handling any request with a smile and warmth. The GM, Ms Wright, is open and sensitvie to her guest's needs. Security is strong as well, 24/7. The housekeeping staff, especially Portia, is absolutley amazing in their ability to make a guest feel at home. The groun ds are well kept and are a vision of beauty lush with tropical flora. I have been to 12 islands in the Carribean, have stayed at Sandals as well as Grand Lido,FDR, Beaches, the list goes on and on and I would NEVER go back there to those All-Inclusives.. Rondel Village is quiet, quaint, CLEAN, well run, well maintained ( I forgot to mention the Maintenance Crew who are always available).. The beach front is raked and cleaned daily. I cannot say enough good things about this property except you will never regret staying there!!!! If you are looking for a lovely serene beach experience combined with attentive positive staff that maintains pride in dealing with every detail, as well as breathtaking beauty, RONDEL VILLAGE is for you!

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2006

We returned for a second trip to Negril and stayed again at Rondel Village (My husband and I were married there last year and stayed 12 days there during that trip). Our our wedding/honeymoon trip, we had a One Bedroom Beachfront Room which was amazing. This time, we had another couple with us, so we stayed in the Grape/Apple 2 Bedroom Villa facing the pool. We stayed from April 30th-May 8th, so Negril was in it's "slow" season for tourism. This is a wonderful time to go. It was very nice weather and only rained on us one time for less than an hour.

As for the hotel, we love Rondel. The staff is friendly and kind. Travis at the front desk did a great job with customer service. It is so cool to go back to a place and have people who work there remember you. We are particularly fond of our housekeeper, Portia, who is such a sweet woman. She is also a wonderful cook. If you stay in a villa, you have the option of having your housekeeper cook for you one meal per day. You buy the ingredients (which is a fun adventure, especially if you check out the local fish market), and she will do the cooking.

We were also very fond of Johno (Johnson) the security guard during the day. He was very helpful and fun to talk to. Of course Glen and Carl were great too. All were helpful in arranging taxis, taking out beach chairs for us when we came out to the beach, and were diligent in watching our belongings for us while we were out in the water. One thing I want to emphasize is that I have always felt very safe at Rondel. It is not a place where you feel like you must keep your valuable locked in your safe. The housekeepers and security are very trustworthy.

The hotel itself is nice, but could use a few improvements here and there. The floor mats (for sandy feet) that they provide by your bed could be rugs that are softer. The kitchen could use some new utensils. Mostly little updates could be done to make things more "contemporary". The villas do come with full fridges, stove/oven, coffee maker, toaster oven and microwave, so that was cool. The air conditioner in the main room of the villas is amazing. So quiet and works great. The air conditioners in the rooms are a bit loud, as other visitors have noted. Ours was not working properly when we tried to use it on our first night there, but it was fixed for us an hour after we reported the problem to the hotel staff the next day.

The beach bar and restaurant, Irie, is awesome. We loved Jerome and his drinks, especially the drink he makes called Between the Sheets. Crazy is great too. We just happened to be at the bar more when Jerome was there this year, so had many of his drinks. He is fun to hang out with too, playing Connect Four and just talking. The chefs at Irie make the best fried chicken. Also their french fries are delicious. Janet is so friendly and nice too.

Our villa was located right next to the pool, which was not used very often, except by us. The pool is so nice to have after being on the beach all day. It is well maintained and beautiful with hibiscus and other flowers blooming around the edges of it. The jacuzzi is also nice, but the bench to sit on in the jacuzzi is pretty rough. During our stay we saw love birds come and frolick by the pool and also saw many cool lizards.

I have read a lot of the other reviews and people complaining about ants, high charges for using the phones, loud music at The Jungle, etc. My opinion is this, yes, there are some ants, it's the tropics! And yes, there are charges for using the phone, but really, they are not that much money. And the hotel is close to The Jungle, but one of the joys of being in Jamaica is falling asleep to reggae at night. I was always so exhausted from the activities of the day that I never had a problem falling asleep due to noise from late night music shows. Also, someone commented about spring break lasting through April, which is NOT TRUE. We came on April 24th and it was already very quiet. This is a great time to go, as it's quieter, yet not hurricane season yet.

All in all, if you want a place where you can do your own thing and chill out, yet have many comforts, Rondel is a great place to come. We plan to return again soon, hopefully next year, and would definately recommend Rondel Village to our friends.

6  Thank willenajean
Reviewed May 9, 2006

We stayed April 26- May 3. I was with my 18 yr old daughter and we stayed on the Garden side, Grapefruit room. I was so pleasently surprised on how Beautiful, Well manicured and Lush with Palm trees, bushes and foillage flowers on site. The room was very big with 2 double bed, seperate bath and changing room, fridge, tv and right outside our door was a pool and hot tub shared by 4 villas. It was so quiet and private. We felt as if we had our own paradise. Out side our room was so many neat tropical bushes and tall Palm trees. We had a large porch with chairs and table to relax on. Amazing for the money. The beach side was even more Lush and another pool with small fountain and hot tub. Then the beach was spectacular!! Too many choices of where to go on this resort, but still smaller and quaint. For sure Rondel is the start of the prime beach area and in the middle of everything. The rooms were cleaned perfectly daily with Tropical flowers left in a vase daily. Beverly our maid was so sweet. They all were. The fridge seemed small, but held lots of bottled water, our 2 large bottles of freshly squeezed orange and pinneapple juice and 1 morning a half of a watermelon, cut lengthwise which was great during the hot day. Also, we loved that Rondel was smaller then the huge resorts. When we walked by them it felt so conjested and busy and the beaches were not deep. I was so happy were were at Rondel. Relax is their theme.
We had no ants except a few when we spilled some juice on the floor and did not clean it up enough, but still only a few. This is the tropics and if food is spilled, ants will come. We were on the Garden side and I was worried about the Jungle Clubs music next door.. In all Honesty, It is only open 3 nights and I could NOT hear much from it. Just a small thumping from the beat when outside. I thought the Frogs were louder!! It all felt like a lullaby. No Problems there. It's complete exaggeration. In fact Thursday is ladies nite and free, so check out the locals. It's like a Fair on that night with all the jerk cookers out lining the sreet. It's a main event on Thursdays. The only rooms I could even think the Jungle would bother someone is maybe if you had an Upstairs room on the beach side facing the road, because those FEW rooms are closer to the road and not protected by Palms. The restaurant was good. Loved the lunch fried Snapper/ or Pasta also the grilled Snapper. Did not like the Pizza, don't bother. Try as much different places as you can to eat. Crazy will make you great drink and play you a game of connect 4 to pass time. We were taken very good care of by the staff at Rondel, some nights many of the workers would go out with us to Alfreds and dance. It was a blast.
I did not feel that the staff was overly friendly but never rude. They pretty much left you alone to relax and helpful when needed. They let us check in early and they were quick, they checked us out the night before so all we had to do was turn in our keys and leave in the morning. Everything was no problem! We did go to places like Cherala, where the staff was so friendly and food great, especially the Homemade Ice Cream(The coffee flavor I'll dream about) This is where we would walk after a day of sunning find a lounge and sit under Cherala's beautiful Palm trees and eat our Ice Cream. There is shade at Rondel Close to the bar for most of the day and at a corner of the property. Just put your lounge and towel there for the day. Sit at the bar or resturant or dip in the pool that is shaded half the day and a cool change.
As we walked the beach in both directions and checked out all the other resorts we were almost going to stay at, we were VERY happy with our choice for the money. We would have paid $30-$40 more a night for really the same type of property and beach. I was glad to spend that money for more fun! Rondel is just great and I hope we can rent the whole graden side next year with oour family. Can't wait to go back.

4  Thank bora62
Reviewed April 30, 2006

We stayed at Rondel Village for 4 night and Legends for 3 because it was our first trip to Jamaica and were not sure which was better. We liked Legends better because staff was more friendly. The rooms at Rondell are very nice and clean and I think most have fridges. The beach is nice, but they have no umbrellas. It is close to MargaritaVille. The pool and hot tub were nice The food was good and was reasonable. All in all our stay there was average. I would stay there again.

2  Thank Colorado37
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2006

I have been travelling back and forth to Jamaica on a yearly basis, and where I'm orginally from and have stayed exclusively at the Negril Beach Condo every year.

However, this time around I had to travel on short notice with a former Government official to Jamaica as well as a Canadian business colleague. From day one of my arrival at Rondel Village, it was if we were being a bother to the front desk staff(Donna). She was very cold and not very warm and friendly as is expected of front desk staff.
Except for Travis who's very young but certainly customer/client friendly.

The room was clean everyday which was very good and the cleaning staff was very polite!

EXCELLENT KITCHEN AND SECURITY STAFF!!
I believe that the front desk staff could take a page out of that of the kitchen staff. (Janet, Maureen and Errol) as well as the Security staff where being customer/client oriented which made the stay a little bit more pleasant. The Cheese Omelet for breakfast was excellent.

ANTS IN THE ROOMS!!!
There where noticably long trails of ants crawling through little crack in the windows right down to the floor and into the bathroom and bedroom. I thought my room was the only one, but I was told by my friend (Government official) that she also had ants problem and the staff was suggesting that they would used insecticide powder to get rid of the ants. She had to point out to them that it was late in the night and how would be unhealthy to sleep with this kind of chemical in the room.

DO NOT MAKE PHONE CALLS THERE EVER!!!
The management has deliberately setup the phone system in such a way that you can't purchase pre-paid calling cards to make either local of overseas call. I had a big argument with the front desk staff after discovering that I was being charged US$0.46c($30.00JM) for 13 secs and 17secs. which would be the amount of time that it takes a phone to ring. It was criminal.

The beach was excellent and was within walking distance.

LOST KEYS?
Whatever you do, try very hard not to loose your key(s) because there's a US$50 charge for replacing a key which you could normally pickup for less than US$2.00 key at a local
Wal-Mart store.

I think for the most part Management needs to re-evaluate and improve on the areas mentioned aboved if they intend on having repeat guests.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business