“Charela Inn-- An Oasis In The Desert”

Charela Inn / Le Vendome
Ranked #25 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Independence, Missouri
“Charela Inn-- An Oasis In The Desert”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We have stayed at Charela in on two other occasions and for our trip this summer we chose to try something different. We stayed a few resorts away at a place with extremely rude help, a crowded beach, paper thin walls, and questionable security. After about the second day of that nonsense, and rather than packing up and leaving our decent room at the other resort, we decided to stroll down to Charela to see if they would be open to letting us use their beach. For a small fee they had no problem with this, and it ended up saving our whole vacation. From Ruben and Shomari on the beach to Debbie and Anessa et all in the restaurant to Sobrena and Nadine at the desk, it was a day and night difference from the other place. They welcomed us with open arms and treated us like we were staying there once again. We went back every singe day and enjoyed one of the most beautiful stretches of beach and friendliest help in Negril. We also ended up eating most of our meals at their amazing restaurant, Le Vendome. Can't say it enough how they saved our vacation.... and we won't be making the same mistake for our next trip. I highly recommend this resort. Beautiful grounds, friendly help, and fairly priced.... We work hard to earn our vacation time and want to unwind when we do so, and for this, it's tough to beat Charela Inn in Negril.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BrianAmy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Hungarian first
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a rehearsal dinner here for 40 people and it was fantastic. I worked with the restaurant manager by email to arrange everything and she was a pleasure. Very prompt replies and they accommodated all my requests.
The place was setup beautifully and the food was great. The service was exceptional. Very quick and very nice servers. All of our guests really enjoyed it and many went back on other nights to have dinner there again.
Highly recommended!
The property is very nice too with a great beach and gorgeous views of the ocean.
Thanks Le Vendome!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Qino2
chicago
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The location on the beach and excellent service will bring us back after two stays at a close hotel recently. The staff is very attentive and service is efficient. Love the breakfast amazing without the wait and headache of CCLP

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lhr762
maine
Reviewed June 26, 2013

i used to live in negril and i used to love to have breakfast on the beach at charela, eggs and bacon were always cooked right and the pot of coffee was very good..at least once a week i would treat myself to this..for those who want american style breakfast, this is a winner...they even heat the cream for your coffee..

Room Tip: this really is a lovely property
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank novella51
Negril
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Look at the percentage of people that wrote a bad review. Very small. This place is excellent. The staff is the best on the island. I've recommended this place to so many and they are twice a year repeats. The owners are hands off. Everything theyserve comes from their farm, or their garden. They have a great wine list, beach is terrific. This place is old world Jamaica with all the modern ammenities. Do not be influenced by a couple of bad review. Some people you can never please. You can be robbed anywhere. It's up to everyone to safeguard their things. When i recommend Charela it makes me look good and I have never heard a bad review except for this handful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank messenjah
Fallston Maryland
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Well we have been staying @ the Charela in Negril since June 2007. We always go during the end of April or in early May. We just love it there, for many reasons. I guess 1st it would be the staff, 2nd would be the food. Since we always go all-inclusive. You get 3 meals a day plus afternoon tea if you would like it. & of course all the alcoholic drinks that you would like. Morning till night. We have never had a bad meal there. Plus the thing that I really enjoy about it is there is sit down service, no buffets!. That goes for breakfast too. 1st of all the staff know you by name and greet you in the morning. You sit down to a very filling breakfast, with homemade croissants and bread.

Then you can go out to the beach, where they have a beach boy to put your chairs where you want them. After you tell him where you would like your chairs he has them ready for you & set up to where you want the 2nd day. The nice thing about their beach is that they have more palm trees on their beach then any other hotel on 7 mile beach. So if you want to be in the shade there is no problem. If you want to be in the sun there is no problem. The nice thing about palm trees is that you have shade all day. Yes, you might have to move your chair around, but you still have shade through out the day. They don't have umbrellas, which I'm glad about because as the sun moves you are in direct sun light. You can walk up & down the beach & see all the places that have umbrellas & no palm trees.

The next thing is the water. How beautiful the water is. The sand on the beach is like walking through powder sugar. Very soft. You can sit on the beach & see forever how clear the water is. Such a light turquoise blue. The are no waves, you can just walk right into the water. There is no drop off, you walk in & keep on walking on powdered sand. No shells, no rocks, no sea weed. Just soft sand which you can see all the way to the bottom. In the late afternoon you can go out into the water & see star fish on the bottom of the sand. What a beautiful site that is. You are not allowed to pick them up & keep them though. They will tell you to put them back into the water before they die. Which I think is a nice thing, because they care about the environment. When we 1st went down there I picked them up & brought them back onto the beach so I could take them home. That's when I was told you aren't allowed to keep them, & you probably wouldn't make it through customs @ the airport. Not only do you see the star fish @ this time of year but you also get to see the sting rays that come swimming through the water. What a site it is to see.

For dinner, they have the regular menu that you can choose from, but they also have their specialties.They have a menu sat out in the late afternoon on what they are going to be serving for that nights dinner special. It is usually fish, seafood or a meat of some kind that you get to choose from, if you are all-inclusive. Remember that you get an appetizer, salad, soup, entree, & a home made dessert. By the time you finish your meal, I could never eat dessert. But you could always take it back to your room & put it into your refrigerator that each room has. You can fill your fridge up with water, beer, food what ever your heart desires.

I know that everyone says that you shouldn't do all-inclusive. That you should get around to the different restaurants. But I say "why go out to get hamburger, when you have filet migon @ home"? I would like to try other restaurants for dinner, even though I have all-inclusive. But normally I am so beat by dinner, I can hardly keep my eyes open.

Let's talk about the rooms.....I'm not saying this is a 4 star resort in anyway. I agree that the rooms need to be updated. But being a 3 star resort, & their beach & food being as good as it is. I don't really have a problem with the rooms. I'm only in there to sleep. So if the closets doors don't close. It isn't a real problem with me. Because I am saving so......much money, including food. I don't have anything to complain about. The food is excellent, the beach is superb.

The other nice thing about this hotel is that there are not that many rooms. Imagine staying @ a hotel that has 200+ rooms. & the hotel is fully booked. That means that there will be 400+ people laying out on the beach! Like sardines in a tin can. Laying right next to each other on the beach. Who is going to be laying out in the sun? Or who is going to have an umbrella that you only have till the sun moves again? Then everyone piles into the restaurant @ one time. Not my cup of tea!

O.K. now to the staff....there is nothing that I can say bad about them! They are all courteous, polite, & kind. They will go out of their way to make sure that you are satisfied. You are greeted by Minel, who will take your bags up to your room. @ the desk is Nadine or Carolyn whom you probably talked to on the phone, to secure your rooms. The wait staff in the morning for breakfast & lunch would be..Francella,Tamara,Deboror, not saying the others weren't the same. That's just who we had during our stay that took care of us in the morning & @ lunch. They also took care of our drink orders. Which I forgot they will bring them out to the beach for you. We haven't been there for 3 yrs. since I lost my job. But we returned this year the end of April the beginning of May 2013. Tamara was pregnant again when we returned this year. She was pregnant when we were there in 2010. You also have room service so if you wanted coffee sent to the room in the morning, like we do, there is no extra charge. The coffee was always there within 10 mins. after we called or less. You couldn't ask for better service.

Dinner starts @ 6:30 till 9:30 pm. Although when we were there, I thought they said till 10 pm. We had the same waitress while we were there, her name was Anassa. It was anything we wanted. Anything she could do to make us happy. Not that we were complainers in any way. But just for example we wanted a different appetizer that was not on the specialty menu & we ordered from their main menu. It never was a problem. You can even order a filet mignon & pay an extra cost of like $10 or $15 dollars. & the filet is made to your liking. Very tender, & juicy. Well worth the cost.

At the bar in the afternoon was Maxwell, & Ashley plus another women named Alice. They were there for dinner. Before & after dinner for drinks. They were great!! You can even get room service for your drinks if you want that. Which we used several times. There was nothing that we wanted that we didn't get. All you had to do was ask for it, & it was delivered!

Between their beach, water (that everyone has) on 7 mile beach. Their food, service & rooms. You couldn't ask for a better place!! That doesn't mean that I want everyone to come down @ the end of April & the 1st of May!! That would mean that you would be getting into my little piece of paradise!! So pick another time of the year that you would be going! Don't be going when I am there! It is pretty much quiet, & not that many people on the beach! Don't ruin my vacation!

But the owners of the hotel are so nice. They will come out to the beach & ask "how are you doing"? They also have their own table that they sit @ every night. They are well aware of what is going on @ their hotel. They have been owners of the hotel for years, & years. If you do have a problem with anything, you can call the front desk. They will have someone to your room asap, to solve the problem. If you still aren't satisfied you can always talk to the owner that is there @ his table every night. Although I never did that! Because I never really had any big problems. Plus I didn't want to interrupt his dinner. Who really wants to hear a complaint while they are eating dinner? Do you?

I always have a wonderful time while I am down there. I hope you do to!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Juicy58
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2013

In all my travels, rarely have I found the combination of great food, beautiful setting and fantastic service as I did at Charela Inn. The location was excellent, the staff were welcoming and very helpful and every meal was well prepared and tasty. I had a sea view room on the ground floor for 4 nights and loved every minute of the trip. Cabs were easy to call, so travel wasn't an issue and there was even a lovely little church across the way that I popped into for a reflective experience.I would recommend this hotel as a getaway to anyone who wants to step away from the flurry of life and just kick back and enjoy the sun, sea and sand....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends