“Best property on seven mile beach”

Charela Inn / Le Vendome
Ranked #23 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We have been coming down to charela inn from Philadelphia for thirty years and It has never disappointed us. From the days the owner did all the cooking to today where they have a staff of the best trained chefs on the island, nothing has changed, from the management of Sofia to the front desk with Manuel and Carolyn and the office Nadine to the beach with Shomari, you will feel welcome and totally pampered.
The food that they preparei is raised on their privately owned farms and with their own bakery you are assured to get freshly cooked food and baked items daily.. The beach is one of the best maintained and you are assured of privacy because of the well trained beach personnel. Charela is highly recommended by the owners of Skippack Skippack travel

Room Tip: Sea front rooms you can hear the surf and view the sun set . All sea front rooms are equal. I prefe...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Carmella K

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I've been slow to write a review on Charela as I fear this gem of a small, locally-owned hotel and restaurant will become simply too popular. We've been returning to Charela for over 20 years now. On our first visit, we felt like newbies as other couples we met would say "this is our 7th year visiting" or 10 years, or more. Charela is definitely the type of hotel that earns your return visit. The property hosts 47 rooms and perhaps the best beach-to-person ratio in all Negril. The rooms are not fancy, but nicely appointed and clean. The hotel is relaxed and one cannot help but slow down and relax also. The hotel staff is welcoming, friendly and does its best to accommodate special requests (this is true from the drivers, to the front desk, to the bellhop, to housekeeping, to the restaurant and bar staff, and to the beach attendant). If you are looking for a big, fancy all-inclusive hotel, Charela is not for you. If you want a more personalized, relaxed vacation without the trappings of negotiating a large property, Charela is perfect. All rooms are close to the beach, so you can just stumble from your room to your beach chair without any fuss; there are plenty of palm trees to go around. The restaurant serves wonderful food with produce and eggs fresh from their farm in the hills. Breads are all made fresh daily. Some may say the service is slow; we just know that the food is worth the wait. We’ve visited as just a couple and with a family group of over 30 relatives. I’ve had wonderful vacations at Charela with our kids and with our friends and their kids. I’ve also enjoyed visiting Charela with a group of women friends. The hotel works magic for both families and couples. We’ve already booked our return visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank HPHAS
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our stay at the Charela Inn in September 2012 was nothing short of spectacular! Here are just a few of the highlights:

-We worked with a wonderful front desk manager named Nadine for our reservation. Once my lovely one had our room confirmed, I continued to communicate with her via email prior to arrival to plan a few surprises for his birthday. Nadine arranged for flowers to be delivered to our room on his birthday, as well as a homemade carrot cake from the Le Vendome restaurant, and an excellent bottle of red wine.
-Nadine also arranged for my transport from the Montego Bay airport, and gave specific instructions on where I could meet the driver (Mr. Granville, very sweet! I sat in the passenger seat on our ride to Negril, and he gave me so many details about the island and parishes we passed through).
-We had an ocean front room that was lovely! It was a nice size, had a separate sitting area, extremely comfortable bed, and french doors leading to a patio and the beautiful beach!
-Housekeeping was also aware that we had a birthday in our room, and used a local flower to write out the words "Happy Birthday" on our king size bed! The flowers that were delivered were beautiful, wine with 2 glasses and a corkscrew were left for us on the dresser as well! The carrot cake was out of this world! Our towels were arranged in a swan formation the day of arrival and on his birthday, this was a nice touch.
-As my boyfriend and his Dad are from JA, we ate outside of the hotel restaurant a lot, but did eat breakfast there daily (ackee, salt fish, calalou (sp?); absolutely delicious!!.
-In our estimation this hotel has the prettiest stretch of beach on the strip by far (and we walked up and down this beach in both directions everyday). It was very clean with the whitest sand; plenty of palm trees to provide cover from the sun, and plenty of actual "beach". One of the lifeguards, Shomari, was especially kind during our visit. He noticed how many people we had in our party and set our chairs for us in prime spots under the palm trees in the mornings without us even asking. A couple of days my boyfriend and his Dad ran errands and I stayed at the hotel alone; he really looked out for me while I slept and relaxed under the palm trees....making sure I wasn't bothered by vendors selling boat rides or other. If he saw me swimming he offered a raft for relaxing, these kind of gestures go a long way!

I traveled alone and met my boyfriend and his father in Negril, so I really appreciate how much care was taken with my safe transport to and from Montego Bay airport, and how safe I felt at this hotel in general (this is major for me, as I travel alone internationally for a living and was once mugged in South Africa during my transit from the airport to the hotel in Jo'berg). In closing we are looking forward to returning to Negril, and would definitely stay here again. Thanks to Mr. Grizzle and his staff for making our trip so memorable!

Room Tip: Reserve the ocean front room if possible, you can't beat the view! Also, we traveled in Septembe...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kaydee M
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Wonderful restaurant...incredible staff. Food is freshly prepared each day...specials are great, but the pasta dishes are the best on the island. I have been staying at Charela Inn for 17 years; i seldom leave the property when I get here....I love this place!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but upstairs oceanfront is superb!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Ellie6694
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Three weeks to go until departure, we found out RCI had cancelled our reservations in St. Lucia. Big scramble. My wife found a family sized room at Charela Inn in Negril with a good reasonable nightly rate that we could afford. We LOVE Negril and had wanted to take the kids there, but RCI had no openings, so that is why we were originally going to St. Lucia. Our family numbered 5 including a 20, 19 and 9 year old. So we felt terribly lucky to find they had an opening. Also, we were somewhat familiar with this Inn having stayed next door on a previous trip and knew their beach front was some of the best.

Check in was friendly and easy. I paid the week upfront with traveler's checks, (1. We found that Charela and a lot of places in Jamaica seem to not accept American Express cards and only Mastercard or Visa.) (2. we added charges to the room throughout the week from the restaurant and bar). The grounds were immaculate with a neat variety of flowering plants. The room was a family garden suite with a queen bed in the front room and a second room big enough for bunk beds and a day bed. Behind that was the bathroom. Not anything wildly luxurious by U.S. standards, but we did not expect that. It was comfortable and inviting for our family and suited our needs very well. The air conditioners worked, there was a ceiling fan in the front room with a small fridge and tv.

We loved the convenience to the pool, the restaurant and beach. Really nice location.

The room was less than perfect in that the room safe was unusable due to no key, the lamp next to the bed came on and off at will (if turned on). They quickly changed the bulb for us, but to no avail. No big deal. At the beginning of the week, the shower alternated between hot water and cool at rapid intervals, but smoothed out by the end of the week. The bathroom was missing a top pane of the jalousied (?) windows, so it remained humid in there and we kept the door shut to preserve air conditioning. None of this really detracted from our stay or use of the room. It was quite comfortable.

Can't say enough about the staff. All were very pleasant and accommodating. The fact we did not eat many meals there created no ill will ( we love to explore the different eating venues). That being said, the food and service at the French restaurant was delightful and we did enjoy it very much on several occasions.

As I mentioned earlier, what we really came for was not a disappointment in any respect. The beach was absolutely wondermous! The beach staff were great and took care of us if we had any need or question or if they thought a vendor or other beach wanderer were appearing to be a nuisance. We had nothing but a fantastic experience enjoying the Jamaican sun and the Caribbean sea. No ugliness, everybody was nice and pleasant. Never felt the need to 'run off' anyone selling anything. A simple 'No thanks' and they would move along. I actually enjoyed and began looking forward to the variety of vendors. We frequently found their wares worth a look or purchase. You MUST try out the patties sold by 'Patty Mon', who cruises the beach once a day with the most delicious patties (beef, shrimp, vegetarian, and coco bread), extremely reasonably priced. The serenading duo with guitar and banjo were a pleasant surprise, I could go on, but you get the point. The kids and us all loved the beach experience each day.

Charela has every reason to be so very proud of it's beach, restaurant, accommodations and staff. We all had some form of electronics (ipads/tablets/camera). All remained safe throughout our stay we just kept them out of plain view while we were gone from the room . The housekeeping was accommodating with the late sleepers and did a fine job.

We, from time to time, needed a driver to go to a restaurant on the West End for dinner or visit the local grocery for room snacks/beer. Mr. Granville was always there and took great care of us. I had been worried about local transportation cause there were five of us, but that was never a problem. All we had to do was have someone at the front desk notify him of what we needed and he made himself available. This was a HUGE plus.

We will stay at Charela again without hesitation. Hopefully, the wife and I can get back there, just by ourselves, and enjoy what appeared to be the really nice one bedroom suites facing the ocean.

I encourage anybody seeking to enjoy that special Negril Beach vacation to try Charela Inn. From our experience, you will have no worries or regrets. We miss the folks there already.

Room Tip: From a visual survey, not sure if there is a bad room here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Atticusjd
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stay at Charela whenever I go to the Negril. Locally owned, small boutique hotel with simple yet comfortable rooms. I get an ocean view room, with first floors open up to a quick walk to the beach. LOVELY! Mr Grizzle, the owner, is very welcoming, always remembers me and the hotel has the only French Cuisine restaurant in the North Coast.
Love this place!

Room Tip: Request second floor on the left, ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nikkinikita1
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We've visited Negril before and have always stayed on 7-Mile Beach. Charela Inn has the best beachfront -- it's very wide, clean and has lots of palm trees for shade. The ocean water is calm, shallow and perfect for swimming. The hotel staff is very nice, friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed the Jamaican breakfasts, which we had every morning.

We stayed in a seaview room with a balcony. The room was clean and nicely furnished, and had a great view of the beach and ocean. The only major downside was the recurring problems with the very low or no water pressure. At random times, the water would turn to drips or completely shut off while we were in the midst of using the shower or toilet. The hotel staff said it was a Negril water problem, but we had friends staying at an adjacent hotel and they never had any water problems. We also stayed at another hotel during this vacation and never had water problems. We really hope Charela addresses this problem as it's a main reason for us not to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Our friends stayed in a garden view room on the ground floor. The room was dark and gloomy. The bath...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends