“Quiet All-Inclusive Resort with Tree Houses” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset at the Palms

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Brooks, Alberta, Canada
“Quiet All-Inclusive Resort with Tree Houses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

We booked our wedding through Sunset at the Palms, Negril and travelled there in March 2010 with a group of 10 people, including ourselves (no kids). I am writing this review now (8 months later) because I feel like the wonderful staff and beautiful setting deserve praise and recommendations. Also because a nasty winter storm has me freezing inside my house with fuzzy slippers and wishing I was on a nice warm beach somewhere with a large pina colada in one hand and a Tastee patty in the other.

This is a small, beautiful all-inclusive resort. When you arrive, the staff greet you with a rum punch and a cool face cloth. The rooms are all "tree-house" style cabins on stilts, two units per building, each with its own balcony. The resort grounds are covered with trees and plants, all taken care of by their friendly gardening staff. I did not take the garden tour, but my mom did and she really enjoyed it.

The buffet offered a great variety of different foods, including some local dishes. The restaurant is not open every single night, but it is definitely worth going to a few times. The menu there is small, but the food was incredible and the serving staff was friendly and fun. You can also get some food at the beach grill if you happen to miss the buffet - burgers, fries, jerk chicken, and fish. All delicious.

You do have to walk across the road to get to the beach, but the resort staff is always there to stop the traffic for you. And the beach is lovely. You can walk either way down the beach past the large mega resorts that you are glad that you aren't staying at :)

You can book tours right from the lobby - very convenient! We did some snorkelling (everyone should go snorkelling) and the shopping/Rick's Cafe. Another day we also rented a cab driver for the entire day to take us to Y's Falls (beautiful) and the Appleton Rum Factory (free rum!).

The hotel also has live entertainment most nights at the pool bar. I think we saw the reggae band several times. They were pretty entertaining, especially the dude they seemed to be calling "Shitaake Man." There were also some dancers and a fire eater one night.

For the wedding, I think we dealt with three different wedding coordinators over the course of the year. If you were a control freak, planning a wedding in this manner would probably give you an ulcer. But in the end, communication was good and everything worked out beautifully - even the weather! We had our wedding on the beach with our small wedding party (and a giant group of Italian tourists) in attendance. The photographer did an amazing job of taking pictures without people in them! The ceremony and the flowers were beautiful, the cake was perfect. In addition, that night they set up a table in the pool area for the wedding party to have dinner. The next morning, we were treated to breakfast in bed, and that night my husband and I got to have a private dinner poolside, while our friends and family had dinner in the restaurant. Basically all you have to do is pick your cake, photo package, and wedding location and they do the rest. It's a no-stress wedding and they do an incredible job!

In conclusion, our entire group absolutely loved Sunset at the Palms and Jamaica in general. I'm not sure my words have done the place justice - you could not ask for a more beautiful setting.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank acanthoplax

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

I found out about Sunset at the Palms(SATP), by searching online. When I asked around, no one had heard of it. So I initially made a reservation for only 2 nights as I would then move on to another resort on the South coast of the island. When I arrived, I was immediately attended to by Carla at the Front Desk along with a cool wash cloth and a welcome punch - which was very refreshing. Upon check in I told them to make it 3 nights instead of 2. The bellhop immediately escorted me to my room with my bags and he also familiarized me with all the features in the room. He made sure that I was comfortably situated. I took this vacation as a RnR and needed to have a lot of quiet time. I even disconnected electronically for 3 days. Since I was there by myself I needed to ensure that I was comfortable and safe. I never for one minute felt fearful or nervous...the property is so well designed and laid out that you are not too far away from another guest. The rooms are extremely modern, I had a king size bed and the bathrooms were amazingly contemporary. The balcony featured a comfortable day bed that I used every day to catch up on my reading. And there was also a table with 2 chairs for outside dining. I brought my Kindle along and was able to get books as well as browse the internet once I reconnected. There is also wifi available if you need it.
In the dining room, Sifford made sure that I catered to as I had a special diet request. He along with Chef Ruddy ensure that my dining experience in the dining room was superb. On the beach, Opal was the bomb! That snapper with the mango chutney was a blast!!! I had it almost everyday. The beach and the view left me speechless. I also made use of the spa, and I had the Yard Vibes package, the body scrub with brown sugar and pimento oil, the masage with coconut oil and the manicure left me feeling like I didnt want to go home. Denise my masseuse was just amazing!!! Omar and Damion at the beach bar were great with my pina colados. I had a fantastic time at SATP and I have already told all my friends about it. My best friend in Holland is now planning to visit in December - where I think he will be popping the question to his girlfriend. I didnt leave the resort much, but when I did...I went to Escape for a live concert with Tony Rebel and then I also went to a local restaurant in town for dinner one night. I'm sure you can tell I had a great time. Thanks to Sharon Powell and her staff I will be back with my family in 2011...oh I almost forgot I extended my stay for another day and ended up staying 4 nights.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank redstrype
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

Super clean, great location. The bungalow style rooms are very spacious. This place is great if you are looking for something different than the mega-hotels. Service provided from all staff-members was fantastic. The food was great. Be sure to schedule a massage while you're there! The only issue was the lack of a reliable internet connection - the website said they provided it, but it was difficult to get. Only a concern because our children were back in the States and we wanted to check in on them. Otherwise, a fantastic vacation. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
jackson, nj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

I give this one star, because it truly was a beautiful resort, with a great tree house theme. Excellent staff, great food with much variety. People who complained about the variety probably got mixed up and thought they booked a cruise.
Yes there are bugs on the grounds and they do bite without notice and do itch and hurt for days.
Yes, the AC does not work at midday. I thought… an AC can cool any room eventually. Even after asking for a room with the newer units like I saw in another review…. You can’t beat poor science design. There are two large windows with just screens and wooden slats that the high wall AC just lets the cold air poor out of …and even a perforated bathroom door to suck up any cool. You will not cool this room at midday on a hot day. Not good for us. We like to do activities in the am , rest in the room during the hot of the day… and go out at night. Just doesn’t do it.
The beach was not good. If you think the walk was too long you need an exercise program. I messed up again. I thought a beach with security would keep the pesky aggressive street people away. All security did was make sure people were residents. That was a rip off because they would not only pester you but ask you to get alcohol and food for them from the beach bar. When the jet ski guys kept zooming right by us as we were snorkeling. They were just doing it to get us to pay to snorkel. When I talked to the manager he just listened but did absolutely nothing.
I feel bad for the poor people, but how about the owner when he finds out much food and alcohol profit is being given away?

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank tplayer49
Highland Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

I must say that Sunset at the Palms exceeded my expectations. It literally was what you would imagine paradise to be. Nestled amongst tropical plants and meandering paths sit lovely tree-houses, each that is outfitted with a private veranda, air-conditioning, a television, and an elegant bathroom with a slate shower. The staff that works there is eager to please and extremely personal. The hotel is smaller and more intimate than many of the larger resorts in the area, which I think creates a sense of community - you really have the opportunity to get to know that people that are there. The food was excellent. I particularly enjoyed the fresh fruit that was served with each meal (I believe they grow it right on the premises.)

If you are looking to get out and take in some local flavor then I recommend Three Dives. It is also located in Negril. From the road side it doesn't look like much, but the locals told us that while Rick's is a popular tourist attraction, Three Dives has much better food. I never made it to Rick's, but in my 5 night stay made it to Three Dives twice. It truly was delicious... and it is located on cliffs overlooking the water, so we were treated to a beautiful sunset as well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2010

We loved this wonderful hotel and would definitely return for another stay. The grounds are so lush. And the staff kept them beautifully, despite the recent terrible weather that had struck Jamaica while we were there. We were always greeted by all members of staff in a warm, welcoming way and all our questions or requests for guidance or help were dealt with promptly and efficiently. A fabulous standard of service has been set by the managment of this hotel and the staff take pride in delivering it. The treehouse rooms are quirky and yet comfortable and spotless. The food was always very good, the pool side area and the pool itself lovely (although not large) and the bars great. Reliable local taxis are available from the lobby and we couldn't fault that service either. Thank you and we hope to be back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

It was so beautiful,romantic and peaceful. The working people so nice and friendly. We had the best holiday ever. We work hard for the next time at the end of oct.2011!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Couples Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,930 reviews

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!