“Stunning Wedding and Honeymoon”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #6 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed July 6, 2007

My husband and I brought 7 of our closest friends and family to Sunset at the Palms for our wedding on March 19th and a week of relaxation after. The resort was amazingly beautiful; I kept looking for movie stars!! I didn't need to look though, b/c we were treated like stars! None of the other resorts in Negril compare to the expansiveness and privacy of this resort. If you'd like to see some of my wedding pictures, feel free to email me at dylangrrl@hotmail.com. Amazing stay!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dylangrrl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,675)

Reviewed July 4, 2007

We also celebrated our 25th anniversary at SATP. Thank you to all who have posted reviews in the past; otherwise we never would have found this gem!

Loved: the resort itself is gorgeous, lots of tropical plants and wildlife. Saw hummingbirds and lizards, among others. The daybed, what a great place to relax, watch nature or read. The fresh fruit at every meal was great. The staff, incredibly friendly and fun. There was a small room set aside with two computers in it for guests to use. Beach bar entertainment when it rained (see my videos).

Didn't love so much: The food in general was okay but not exciting. Wasn't crazy about Lotus Leaf either. One night the buffet was all Japanese food, which we don't eat, and Lotus Leaf was closed. We ended up eating at Pirate's Cave that night. We made a reservation for Wild Thing but they didn't show up at the appointed time to pick us up! (Not SATP's fault, of course). Some vendors

Suggestions for visitors: if you need silence to sleep, go elsewhere! The tree frogs are amazing but very loud! Obviously, take and use bug spray. We used it religiously and had no problems. If you hair is chemically treated, take leave-in conditioner or sunscreen for the hair. Mine got baked, good. We brought floats but didn't need them; there were plenty there. Make sure you take your Bubba Kegs, too.

Suggestions for management: More alternatives on ethnic food nights (at least open Lotus Leaf). Move the dumpster area, it really stinks up the spot where you cross the street to go to the beach. It would be great to have an area for dancing in the evening, even if it was just to recorded music. Put an extra step in the hot tub - somebody's going to fall and get hurt trying to get out of that tub without a step between the seat and the rim of the tub.

We loved it and will definitely return. Remember Esroy, I'm depending on you to take care of the place for me until I get back!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank mercer1122
Reviewed June 29, 2007

We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary at Sunset at the Palms in Negril, Jamaica and loved everything about it. The resort is clean, quiet, relaxing and friendly.

The food was great - large variety, and the Lotus Leaf Restaurant was so good, we went there twice. The Beach Grill serves wonderful, spicy hamburgers. Try the jerk sauce on the fries - terrific!

The bartenders are lots of fun and will keep you entertained, especially if there is a quick rain storm in the afternoon and you need to jump out of the pool and into the bar. Each bartender seems to have his special favorite drink that he makes best, so be sure to ask each one for his "special"!

The rooms are fabulous; so different from the large high rise hotels we have stayed at in the past. Although most of the rooms were occupied, there were never any crowds or lines to deal with. There were very few children there which certainly contributed to the overall peacefulness and tranquility of the garden setting. There were mostly couples and many, many honeymooners staying at the resort. Our teenagers would certainly have felt out of place there, had we brought them along.

Others have mentioned problems with insects, but we only had a problem a couple of times in the evening, but used insect repellent wipes right away and had no more problem. We also sprayed our deck and were able to spend the evenings on the daybed listening to the sounds of the treefrogs with no bites!!! Most of the meals are served outside, and once again, we experienced no problem!

Great tip for snorkelers - Hook up with Andrei on the beach. He took us out twice for our own private snorkeling tours - the best we've ever been on!!

Also, if you visit the YS Falls, do the Canopy Zipline over the falls. The price is reasonable- $30.00 per person and certainly an exciting and beautiful experience. $10.00 more if you want to do it again. Why take another trip on a long bus ride to do the zipline in another location if you're going to YS anyway?

The beach is pretty. Very calm and no problem crossing the street and taking a nice, short walk to get there. The vendors entertained us and left us alone if we said "No thank you".

We can't wait to return!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank PATandTOM
Reviewed June 21, 2007

Ok. Let me first begin by saying that if you have any dislike for bugs whatsoever, and I don't mean just the kind that bite you, you may want to re-think going to SATP. When you eat, you eat outside (exception, dinner restaurant that is open a three days a week) -- other than that, be prepared to have bugs fly into your wine, your food, your deserts even before you get to pick one up, your salad dressing before you put it on your salad, your breakfast cereal, your eggs, you name it, bugs. I really didn't think I'd mind the bugs, but I have such a disdain for them now. I decidedly had to get to the buffet EVERY meal at exactly when they opened it for fear of getting buggy food if not. Also, buy a bug spray other than OFF ACTIVE. I'd recommend DEET or DEEP WOODS, because we had OFF and it did absolutely NOTHING for us. I have so many bug bites - and they also get you while you sleep. I started having dreams about being bitten! Horrible. I agree with the last review that maybe nets above beds could be a LITTLE help.

Ok -- done ranting. When we first arrived, our room was not ready. We were upset. It's our honeymoon, c'mon! And we're paying $300 a night!!!! So we got placed in a crappy (and I'm lenient) room (small, dingy, gross bed linens, bathroom lit by one exposed flourescent lightbulb...no day bed, just bad). We were told the next day we would be placed into a deluxe (what we were paying for) around 1:30. We were told not to unpack. That's not quite easy to do. ANYHOW, finally we were switched the next day. When we asked what happened, they ignored our questions.

The new room was great, aside from the bugs and the lizard that somehow got into our room and made a monstrous sound each dawn b/c it's nocturnal.

The beach is gorgeous - it's one of the best beaches we've been to. Not crowded at all. The Beach Grill is wonderful too, although the man who works there a few days a week isn't quite the nicest, but hey....he's working in the heat with a full chef jacket on, I wouldn't be so nice either!!!

The beach bar is great too. Staff there is excellent.

Dining hours are from 7-10 am, 12:30 - 2:30pm, and 7-10 pm. Exception is restaurant that is open three days a week that serves food from 6:30-10:00 pm. We did not eat at the restaurant so cannot comment.

The pool is small but very nice and not crowded. I read a review before we went that said the resort was almost deserted...which we didn't find to be true. We were always around people. But it's nice because it isn't crowded - there is just enough people for you to feel like you are in a resort.

The vendors on the beach need to be stopped. SO annoying. They ask you you're name and then call it from where they sit, they woke me up twice while napping at the beach. The approach you so many times for jetskiing, snorkeling, parasailing, visiting their store on the beach, braiding your hair, and of course, drugs. It really just inconvenienced us b/c we were trying to relax.

All in all, this was not the honeymoon we had hoped for. The bugs, the vendors, the room problem, but then again, can anything ever be close to perfect? Probably not. We will not be returning, though... Instead we'll venture to some different places.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
14  Thank t-bone714
Reviewed June 20, 2007

Reason# 1 - The Pictures Don’t Lie!:

One of the major reasons we chose Sunset was because the candid photos looked so good. But we were still skeptical. The moment we pulled up we were blown away. It is better than the pictures. It felt like we were strolling through a beautiful private jungle everywhere we went. The openness of the restaurants and the awesome woodwork everywhere was quite amazing.

Reason #2 - Uncrowded, Low Traffic, and No Waiting For Anything:

Apparently the resort was at capacity while we stayed there. We Totally couldn’t tell. I hope they don’t build much more onto the resort, I have heard that’s what happens when a resort in Jamaica gets a lot of business.

Reason #3 -Engaging Respectful Staff:

The staff was so great that we tipped anyway. With some of the staff specifically tipping was hardly enough… We gave them a place in our hearts. Our favorite was our new good friend Leroy. (He’s the young bartender who looks like Tiger Woods!) We were surprised that Natisha was new, she was always great at making us feel comfortable and taken care of. The manager Sharon was so very kind and helpful as well, she has a great attitude and a personality that probably sets the tone for a lot of the great staff at Sunset.

Reason # 4 - Truly Enchanting Rooms:

6 shower heads, Air Conditioning, perched in the top of a jungle garden, wildlife singing us to sleep every night, thorough maid service, awesome interior design, a comfy day bed on the patio with huge palm leaves hanging over us and a TV that we didn’t really watch and was nicely tucked away in a cabinet. We stayed in room 710 which was nice because it was tucked towards the back of the resort. But it really wouldn’t have mattered which ones we stayed in because of how uncrowded the whole place was.

Reason # 5 - Horseback Riding in the Ocean:

Another couple at the resort told us to book a tour with an outfit called Country Western. It was soo much fun and amazing. We rode on the beach, ate fresh bananas, drank directly from fresh coconut and then rode out deep into the water. The tour guides were great! Be sure to tip them well! We have ridden horses in Kentucky and I always get nervous and don’t enjoy it because the tour horses just seem unhappy. Not at all soo in Jamaica, they are the happiest most relaxed horses! I thought the horse would swing its head around at any moment and say Ya Mon.

Reason # 6 - If it Rains… do the Zip Line Canopy Tours:

We love adventure and the day we did the canopy tour it rained HARD. It made us zip down the lines twice as fast. Extremely Fun and actually very safe (I am a rock climber and they use good petzl equipment).

Reason # 7 - It was a quiet, secluded and AMAZING place for a Honeymoon:

Usually a week after coming back from a trip I get tired of telling everyone about it, but as long as Sunset at the Palms stays the way it is, I will ALWAYS tell everyone how awesome our trip was!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
16  Thank AaroNichole
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Well, here it is – better late than never. On the forum as well for comments. I'll post photos as soon as I "organize" them.

We were at SATP 5/25 – 6/1. The beach is absolutely fantastic. I would highly recommend SATP over the other resorts that were extremely crowded and loud with that booming music. Bring a float to relax in the water and take an insulated mug - yep, the Bubba Keg - get them at Target, WalMart, etc.

The food and drink at the beach bar were very good, except for the hamburgers - not like US, but then you aren't in the US. The grilled snapper was excellent along with the grilled cheese sandwich and jerk chicken and fruit and ... well, you get the picture.

We met some fantastic folks from around the world and most of them were fellow Trip Advisor roadies – they know who they are! Also, to those two that didn’t get hooked on TA – ah ha!

One thing that really got me was the mosquitoes and no-see-ums. Both hubby and I were eaten alive. We had bug spray and citronella candles, but no luck. Needless to say, I didn't get to enjoy the balcony! Question to SATP management – what about mosquito nets above the beds? They would really help out at night time and would blend well with the Asian theme.

Leroy "Tiger Woods" at the bar absolutely rocks, and Kenroy at the front office was wonderful. In fact, ALL of the staff were the nicest, kindest people. The front desk reception staff were gracious and answered all our silly questions and were not at all dismissive. Other staff working the grounds were smiling, polite and always said good morning, respect, have a nice day, whatever. Often, you get what you give. If you smile, 99% of the time, they will too!

Drawback - The bar could have a few more premium options, such as Crown Royal, Grand Marnier and also more wine selection - a red (Frontera Merlot) and a white (Frontera Chardonnay) were the only choices.

As for going off-campus – we took a walk to the market just past the gas station up the road. Although there were only 10 or so vendors open, it was really a pain being harassed to “visit them”. So we just went to the vendors next to SATP on the beach and at the airport. The only thing I bought for myself is coffee! Lots of it!

We also looked at Couples and Sandals, but decided that we wanted a smaller resort - we got it! I would definitely look at booking here again.

Respect, One Love, Regards and Cheers!

Vonyett

a.k.a. – IGJIME (I got jerk in my eye)

Stayed: June 2007
6  Thank vonyett
Reviewed June 17, 2007

This was our second visit to SATP and it was great. We stayed May 12 - 19 and although it did rain everyday the SATP was just as wonderful as I remembered it to be. Our first stay was in May 2006 with just 4 of us, we liked SATP so much that in 2007 we came back with a group of 12.

I enjoy everything about this resort. The staff, rooms, food, and surroundings are great. The bartenders - Greg, Rory, Omar, "John", and Ezroy (aka Pumpy) were excellent. We were a large group that drank a lot and never had to wait to get a drink. The food is really good and there was a lot of variety on the buffet. I usually hate buffets, but the breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets were great. The cheeseburgers, snapper, and jerk chicken at the beach are incredible. Dewayne (the food and beverage manager) is awesome!! The Thanks Dewayne for your assistance and the champagne!!

The staff talent show was entertaining, who knew the staff had so much talent. Thanks to Greg for the dance and the great singing!

Both of my visits to SATP were great, this resort is not the typical big, crowded, all-inclusive resort. It is much more friendly and private. We received great service both of our visits and we plan on going back again next year. I wish I was still there!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends