“A private paradise”

Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Edmonton, Canada
“A private paradise”
Reviewed January 21, 2006

My husband and I just returned after spending two wonderful weeks at the Sunset at the Palms Hotel in Negril, Jamaica. I cannot rave enough about the beauty and wonderful people at this resort. It is not for people who want loud, raucous music with drunken party people 24 hours a day. It is peaceful and serene with a very gracious ambiance. The food was wonderful and the cooks will very willingly cook you up something special. The rooms perched up in treetops are very unusual and private. The beach is wonderful, clean and you are always guaranteed to get a beach chair. The staff is the friendliest and most personal I have ever met. Everyone is on a first name basis and you get to met the managers daily. Being a smaller resort you also get to know your fellow travellers who are from all around the world. I will always remember Monique, Arlene, Claudette, Everton, Laurie and Sharon and we felt like we were leaving family when we left. We can't wait to go back. A superb, memorable place.

4 Thank pottylorraine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Reviewed January 19, 2006

This resort is fantastic! Literally a little oasis of paradise... and I say "little" because this resort is NOT the over-crowded, run-of-the-mill, all inclusive joints that many are tempted to book. From the second that my husband and I stepped out of our taxi, we knew we were somewhere special. We were taken aback by the attention to detail that the staff strives to maintain. Always clean, always quiet, always very helpful. Pictures DO NOT do this place justice! Unlike "other" surrounding resorts (which we had considered before because they are well-known), Sunset at The Palms exceeded our expectiations. Walking down the beach the first night, looking at the other resorts, we were positive we made the right choice.

They say that friendliness is the Jamaican way, but I beleive that the resort staff went out of their way everyday. By day three of our trip, most of the staff throughout the resort knew our names and were always making sure we were having a good time. Drinks are unlimited (!) and the bartenders are never stingy with the alcohol. I read the review that insinuated that the staff is not quite this genuine, but I can assure you that this is not true. My husband and I were invited several times to join the locals at the HUGE Christmas Eve party in Lucia which they didn't have to do. These folks enjoy tourists and DO want to share Jamaica with them. As with most people, treat them with respect and friendliness and you get respect and friendliness. A smile goes a loooong way in Jamaica!

Entertainment was subtle and relaxing - most are local entertainers that will sit and have a beer with you if invited! The beach is just like on the website (hint: others GREATLY exaggerated their beaches!!!) - there is no false pretense with this place. True, the beach is across the road from the resort, but this actually is nice. It maintains more of the natural beach and it is was never a nuisance to walk. Plus, the food was much better than we expected for an all-inclusive. Try the Lotus restaurant - you will not regret this five course meal!

The cons: this is not the place to go if you are a college student on holiday who wants to party. Please don't ruin the ambiance by staying there if that's you agenda. There are hustlers ("The King")on the beach who recongnize a newcomer from a mile away... instantly tell them that you're not interested and they won't bug you for the rest of the trip. My husband and I try to be very conciencous when it comes to tipping, but after a day we realized that tipping just isn't done - but do make sure you have a little Jamaican $$ in case you want to go snorkeling, or something... the cambio closes kind of early and the walk to the gas station ATM is not super pleasant.

The synopsis: this was a magical honeymoon place, very romantic, lots of Europeans and friendly Americans, not a lot of children (more were arriving as we left), incredible treatment from the staff and locals, good food any time before 10pm... is everyone's honeymoon like this?! I feel like I'm just bragging when I tell people how perfect it was... Thanks to Sunset at The Palms and to my husband!

If you go, make sure to ask the bartender named "Greg" to take a picture with you...he was in the movie "When Stella Got Her Grove Back"! Happy Vacationing...

• Stayed December 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 19, 2006

My new husband and I showed up at the hotel exhausted from our wedding and spent the entire week at Sunset doing nothing but relaxing! We loved our room, it was quiet and private (the dual shower was great!), and housekeeping did a wonderful job. The grounds are nice, nothing over the top, and we loved being outdoors most of the week, as most of the hotel is open-air. The food was okay, not amazing but there was always plenty of it, and the servers were helpful as well. We ate jerk chicken for lunch every afternoon on the beach, paired with a "dirty banana," fabulous!

I think the beach was the best part of the hotel. It was uncrowded, there weren't people trying to sell you things, and there were plenty of trees for shade if you got too much sun the day before. There were never more than 20 people on the beach at one time. The water was clear and warm, with a few fish. Many of the women went topless without being bothered by locals. They are building a new bar and lunch pavilion which will be nice when it is complete.

We also loved our bartender, Greg, who shared a little of Jamaica with us while learning more about New England (he's planning on studying in CT). He made great drinks and treated us well.

We walked down the beach past some of the big, mega-resorts one afternoon and were so glad we picked Sunset instead. The other resorts seemed so large and impersonal in comparison. Overall, Sunset At The Palms was relaxing, with nothing too over the top. My husband and I felt like we had found our own little corner of Jamaica, and were so disappointed to leave. For the money, we couldn't have done any better!

A little advise, book transportation from the airport because it's a little confusing to do it there. And bring bug spray because the bugs would bite after it rained, not a problem as long as you're prepared.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 14, 2006

This was our first trip to Jamaica, and Sunset at the Palms could not have been a better choice! My husband and I were looking for a quiet getaway to relax for a week. The resort is beautiful--from the cabins, the lush grounds and the gorgeous beach. But what makes this place truly special is the staff. They are incredibly friendly (anyone who passed you said hello, whether it was a server or a grounds worker) and were there to anticipate your every need. That sounds like a cliche, but it's honestly how we felt during the entire trip. They were there when you need them, but not in your face to overwhelm you. The food was delicious, we loved the breakfast buffet and the beach grill where we ate lunch every day. Make sure to get the snapper and the jerk chicken! Dining at the a la carte restaurant was a wonderful experience, with long, relaxed dinners, and the wait staff are true professionals! The only drawback is that the menu doesn't change, so by the end of the week we had most of what was on the menu.

We really enjoyed the "treehouse" accommodations--it was tranquil and surrounded by lush green foliage that was exquisitely maintained. The rooms were lovely, especially the double head showers with the jets!

The resort overall is very quiet, and guests were very "civilized", unlike the rowdy crowd that came with us on the plane and the shuttle to Negril. There were some children there, but they were not intrusive in any way. There are a lot of Europeans who stay here, which gives the resort a nice international flair.

There's not a lot to do in the town of Negril, so we didn't venture too far (nor did we really desire to). We watched the sunset at Rick's Cafe one evening--I highly recommend! We took a snorkeling trip one afternoon, and there was a surprising variety of fish to see. They have kayaks and paddleboats for guests as well.

• Stayed January 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed December 28, 2005

During Thanksgiving Week, my brother,Chris, his girlfriend, Nan and I spent five nights at the Sunset at the Palms in Negril. All of the reviews on this resort were excellent and my expectations were met, and for the most part, EXCEEDED on this visit. :)

The grounds are very tropical with lots of green foliage and it gives you the feeling of being in a rainforest. The treehouses are really cool (and clean)and give you the impression of really being in a treehouse. All of the rooms have a patio with a very nice view. You can open slats (that are screened)and allow air to come into your room.

The food at the resort was very good and my favorites (I am sure Chris and Nan would agree) was the jerk chicken at the beach bar, the breakfast (especially when fish was offered) and the ala carte restaurant. Had the ala carte restaurant been open every night and had we known it was that good, we probably would have never left the grounds to eat elsewhere. All of the service that we received was very good. If you tip, yes, you get even better service, but that is to be expected. The drinks were very good, especially the pina coladas.

The beach is across the road, but it takes little to no effort to get there. (It would be really neat if the Sunset at the Palms would expand their site and take up some of the grounds closer to the beach.) The beach is not crowded and is good for those seeking peace and quiet. There are a few who will approach you to buy their "wares", but it is not annoying at all.

I highly recommend the Sunset at the Palms to everyone. I would go back tomorrow, if I could!!!

• Stayed November 2005
17 Thank MysticMustang
Reviewed December 26, 2005

My two sisters, my husband and I stayed at the cabins in December of 2004. We discovered the cabins while visiting our mother for the Christmas holidays. My husband who was visiting jamaica for the first time thought he had died and gone to heaven. the food was great, the choices of food were great, the all inclusive package was excellent. While swiming on the beach you are being served with drinks or food of your choice the service and staff were great. We had a very good time there. Our only regret was that we had to check out after 3 days because our rooms were perviously booked.

• Stayed December 2004
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago IL
Reviewed December 20, 2005

This was my 6th visit to Jamaica and Sunset at the Palms was, by far, my best experience. My boyfriend and I were originally booked at the new RIU Ocho Rios but had a change of heart as the Mega resort experience wasn't what we were looking for. And, boy did we make the right decision. Sunset at the Palms provided us with a much more unique, private and warm (lots of wood) accommodations than those Mega resorts. We especially enjoyed the very private outside deck, with it's large cot and table and chairs. The property is so plush and beautiful - dense with plants, flowers and trees. And, the service was excellent! And, for a taxi ride, ask for Benji or Hunter. Both, so pleasant, fun and, well, just great! Originally, I was concerned about the beach being across the street as I have always stayed at a property located directly on the beach. Believe me, it's not a big deal. As a matter of fact, it's a very pleasant, short stroll over to the beach. AND, the beach bar, big and round under a thatched roof, was just perfect. Also, the beach grill offered some tasty food, especially the Red Snapper and jerk chicken with excellent homemade jerk sauce. Since SATP is a more intimate resort, we felt so lucky as we strolled down the beach to see these Mega resort beaches just packed with lounge chairs lined up just inches from each other. And, SATP had none of those goofy pool or ocean group activities that follow a daily schedule. All in all, our experience was absolutely fabulous. Not one disappointment. It was exactly what we were hoping for. We highly recommend it. We plan to return in February 2006. Thank you, Andre!

• Stayed December 2005