“Good hotel”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed December 19, 2005

Stayed at the palms last week of November and the first two days of December when we were there for the Negril marathon. The location is great. Just an hour from Mo'Bay airport and 5 miles from Negril town centre. The interior is just great, very Indonesian and very relaxing. The rooms are huts on stilts and although not very big, just adequate. The bathrooms however are fantastic. Every room has a verendah looking out over the gardens. Please insist while booking that you do not want a room overlooking the main road which runs along the hotel which is quite noisy especially in the mornings. We went AI which was the case with every other guest but were disappointed after day 3 cause the choice bar one or 2 dishes was the same every day which became a bit monotonous. Breakfasts were great though with fresh fruit. They also have an ala carte restaurant which opens on alternate days but the menu was the same all the time we stayed there. The Chefs were however great and could rustle up anything you wanted in a few min. The beach is across the main road on the other side of the hotel. There is a bar there too which also serves sandwiches, burgers and if you get there before five, jerk chicken. The pool was clean with a bar in the middle serving any drink you wished for. If you only want a single, ask for it cause the bartenders are very generous and pour doubles and trebles routinely. The service was impeccable, no complaints whatsoever. Visited loads of restaurants in Negril and all of them are exceptionally good. Try eating Jerk chicken in a small eatery.Nothing can beat the authentic taste done by a local. One advice to you all shoppers. As the shops in Negril try to outdo each other, I found that the prices were much cheaper in Negril than the duty free. Watches, jewellery, pens etc were 30% cheaper than in the UK.

7  Thank vindoc2000
Write a ReviewReviews (2,773)

Reviewed December 18, 2005

I know some people are very hard to please, not me and especially not my boyfriend. Just feed us and give us a place to sleep and we are as happy as clams. This is going to be a honest review of a hotel that I didn't like very much. I feel like I should give more details about myself before I continue.
My Age 23 Boyfriends Age 24
Length of Stay: 4 nights
We spent a total of four nights in Ocho Rios and four nights at the Sunset At the Palms in Negril. At first glance this hotel is lovely. There is a small, cozy feeling to it. The rooms are more than just rooms it feels like your in a little village. But then some of the staff just made me feel uncomfortable. On average the people in this resort are not very friendly. More than likely it was our typical luck to run into the few bad apples but I felt uncomfortable.
Let me get this straight not everyone was rude, I was very impressed with our housekeeper. She was extremely friendly introduced herself to us and always had a genuine smile. She was a nice contrast to the rest. I don't like it when I'm looking around at things in the gift shop and I can feel people glaring at me. I also don't like people staring at me when I'm going to get a second helping at the buffet. I don't like having to hear the bartender groan and roll his eyes because he doesn't feel like getting us a drink. I don't like being told at 10:00pm that the buffet is closed and there is no food in the hotel to go and drink some coffee.
We also had a little run in with management. When we stay at a hotel we always take our money in travelers checks. If we are asked for a card at check in we give a card with a low balance to avoid any unauthorized transactions. Right off the bat this hotel charges $15O.00 at check in and if you want a safe key another $50.00 and they don't even tell you that they are doing so. We both work very hard and save for this vacation and I was not going to just give someone $200.00 of our vacation money to hold on to. Especially not this hotel. It wasn't until a day and a half that we finally caught the buffet open. We were spending a lot of money to eat off the resort because it was such a drag waiting around for the buffet to open. But I'm glad because we met so many wonderful people off the resort. Negril is absolutely wonderful. This hotel is designed for people that don't want to leave the resort. If you have any excursions or anything else planned they make it very hard to get a meal. We didn't even bother with the restaurant because we don't like waiting around. I don't like feeling like I have to eat at specific times or I'm out of luck. Not on vacation.
I'm not sure about this but I think the staff takes home the remainders of the buffet. Time and time again I saw the hotel workers with huge foil take home plates. Now there is nothing wrong with this in my opinion if there is always something for guests to eat or at least snack on. But there is not. After getting another cab into town for a meal we would come back to the hotel with the staff sitting down eating the plates of the buffet food. Thats not fair to the guests. This is kind of long so feel free to contact me for any other questions. Beautiful rooms and facility, but nothing else.

• Stayed: December 2005
12  Thank Leslie B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 4, 2005

Sunset at the Palms was a wonderful get-away with the service, ambiance, and relaxing atmosphere that we hoped for when traveling to the Caribbean.

When booking travel to the Caribbean, Mexico or other comparable all-inclusive destinations, you often question weather the pictures and ratings systems accurately describe the resort. We were pleasantly surprised to find that our expectations for this resort were exceeded.

The resort is very laid back and relaxed; this is a perfect place to unwind. Don't expect a high-energy crowd because the resort is fairly quiet. The service was great, and we spent 5 days sipping cocktails by the pool and beach bars served by attentive, friendly staff.

The grounds are lush with tropical foliage and flowers and very clean and well-kept. The cabins have been rebuilt since the hurricane, so everything is new. The bathroom was nicer than most higher-priced resorts. The air-conditioning worked well and the room did not have that odd smell that is usually found in humid climate resorts.

The nightly entertainment was not the best because the singers sang a lot of lounge-lizardish tunes instead of the reggae we hoped for.

Walking 5 minutes across the street to the beach was not bothersome. There are plenty of chairs to lounge on and the beach is clean. It is a private beach, but there is a bit of haggling from the locals wanting to braid your hair or asking you to browse their goods.

The bar and grill at the beach were awesome. Make sure that you walk about 100 feet down the beach to local guys that will grill you up fresh fish. We watched the fisherman come to shore and then clean and grill us a fresh Parrot fish.

The food was OK with variations of the same ingredients prepared multiple ways and the a-la carte restaurant was not very good. If you like spicy, flavorful foods then don’t get your hopes up. Like any all-inclusive resort, the ambiance far outweighs the menu. Make sure you get the jerk chicken from the grill on the beach!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stamford, CT
Reviewed December 3, 2005

We stayed at Sunset at the Palms from 11/21 - 11/28 for our honeymoon and after reading all the reviews on this site, we thought we knew exactly what we were getting into. But while this hotel lived up to all the expectations we had regarding the grounds and property, I am sorry to say that during the time we were there, we had enough complaints to make us want to leave early and due to the staff's response to those complaints we ended up shortening our stay there.

Because everyone has their own expectations, I'll first give a little background to who we are and what we were expecting:

We are both in our late 20's, work hard and were really looking forward to a relaxing week off after our wedding. My wife is the type who likes to get up early, exercise a little bit and then can spend the rest of the day at the beach or pool with maybe a good massage or two during the week. I on the other hand can spend about half a day sitting around before I get bored and want to do something. We aren’t into getting drunk every night and wanted a good mixture of nightlife and quiet evenings. We both like exploring new places, seeing new cultures, enjoying good food and were turned off by the thought of going to a "mega-resort" or having to spend a week in a simple hotel room. But this was also our honeymoon so we wanted a place that would essentially take care of us, allow us to relax and make this trip one we would remember.

So we thought we found the perfect place at SATP which seemed to have it all - a small number of unique rooms, the beach & pool (w/ bars at each), a spa, a fitness center and instructor, water sports, cooking and bartending classes, movies and other activities that we could partake in if we desired to. Plus our travel agent even told us they even offered a honeymoon bonus!

But almost immediately upon arriving we learned that this wasn't quite going to be the perfect place we imagined.

As we were checking in, we told the front desk staff that this was our honeymoon and asked about the honeymoon bonus. They said they had no idea but would ask and let us know. They didn't give us any schedule of activities so we had to also ask about the fitness classes and the cooking/bartending classes we saw on their website. We were told that the fitness instructor had quit so they weren't going to have any classes that week and they didn't have any cooking or bartending classes. We thought this was a little weird but were tired and didn't want to fight so we asked for a room away from the road (thanks to a tip we read here) and the front desk clerk told us that she had put us in a very nice room that was away from the road. But when we got to the room we could definitely hear the busy road. Again, we could have said something, but just decided at the time that this wasn’t that big of a deal.

The rooms were very nice but on the small side (though the bathroom is awesome - tiled showers, bowl sinks, etc.), but with our two pieces of luggage and a couple carry-ons against one wall it was hard to move around the room. The bed looked nice but was very low to the floor and not very comfortable at all. I woke up stiff almost every morning. The deck on the room was also nice but the first thing we noticed while on the deck was that we were staring at the people in the cabin across from us and they were starting back at us. There was very little privacy as we could hear people walking, sweeping, or talking on the path next to the cabin (and I'm sure they could most likely here us). Also a surprise to us was that two of the cabins were attached and shared a water heater, which was very small and since the people who shared it with us apparently took their showers before us, we rarely had enough hot water for the two of us to take a shower.

And during our stay the list of other things that went wrong just continued to grow:

-There were never any movies at night and some nights no entertainment at all.
-The spa was definitely not what we expected. It was a small room and looked unappealing enough to make you not want to go in. Front desk staff seemed to have no idea about spa, spa features, etc.
-If you like water sports, know that the water sports equipment is run down, far below average, at best. The security at the beach was very poor and as a result the beach was filled with Jamaican "vendors" who were constantly trying to sell you things.
-The front desk wasn't helpful in explaining any of the tours or trips available.
-A lot of the staff at the pool bar and the beach bar and grill during the day were slow and didn't seem to be very interested in helping you - unless you tipped them. This was disconcerting b/c we heard the staff would be so nice and helpful, and we didn’t always have cash on us while in the pool or at the beach.
-The gym's TVs were broken all week and there was no music to work out to.
-The free internet that they advertised was down the entire week. And the best they could offer was for us to walk across the street to the RIU and pay $9 for 30 minutes.
-Half of the jacuzzi was broken (no bubbles) and most of the time wasn't hot.
-We showed up for the Manager’s cocktail party which we received a notice of, but there was no party.

I know these are all small things, and individually we wouldn’t have cared much about any of them. But we choose this resort based on a number of things and a lot of these added amenities sold the deal for us so when they weren’t available we were disappointed. The worst part for us however was that once we finally brought up these complaints to the front desk people and eventually the manager Sharon, their responses to each one of our complaints was that they were all "added-value" services and that we shouldn't have expected them or they were things beyond their control and could do nothing to fix them and basically blew us off. So we finally got frustrated with the entire experience we were having and told them that we going to leave early - and all they said was that they were going to have to charge us a two night penalty.

In fairness there are some really nice things about this property which many people have stated in their reviews on this site. The ground this hotel is located on are perfectly gardened with stone paths, fountains, flowers and birds and geckos prevalent throughout the property. The most of the food was very good, especially considering it is an “all-inclusive”. The ala-carte restaurant (open only 3 nights) was also very good. They had a nice reggae band there on a couple of nights.

I don't know if this was a particularly bad week for this hotel or is these things happen all the time and we were overly sensitive to them because it was our honeymoon, but its really too bad that this "Resort/Spa" which is set on such beautiful grounds, with unique rooms and good all-inclusive food promised so much that it couldn't deliver.

I would still recommend this location to those who aren't interested in anything else but the room and food, but to those who go expecting activities, amenities and a caring and helpful staff I would steer away from Sunset at the Palms.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or would like some more info about sunset at the palms. Good luck finding the right hotel for you!

71  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2005

We celebrated our 10th anniversary at SATP recently, spent 4 nights there.

We decided to try a charter flight from MoBay to Negril. My husband pre-arranged the flight through Int'l Air Link (or at least he thought he did). Overall horrible service from that company. At the airport in MoBay, the airport personel had to go looking for the Air Link rep's while the TimAir people stood ready and waiting as soon as we cleared customs and immigration. Air Link shuttled us to the domestic terminal, where the counter people tried to tell us their current price was cheaper then what we'd arranged online. (Not that they had any record of our online transaction. The manager told us the online arrangement was through a travel agent, and pretty much meant nothing.) So they calculated the cheaper rate, added in the airport taxes and some other fee, and told us the total was much higher than advertised. We argued a bit, they tried to make us feel stupid, called the manager... Eventually we settled on an amount (plus a hefty credit card service fee) and got ready to go. We waited in the terminal for another 20 minutes or so, until another couple signed on. Then another 10-20 minutes and we were off on our 15 minute flight. The flight crew did a great job, and the scenery was beautiful, but part of the reason we had chosen the charter flight was to get to the resort faster. With Int'l Air Link, that didn't happen.

At the resort we were given cool cloths and punch while we checked in. Their front desk area is nice, allowing guests to sit across from the desk instead of standing there with your luggage. We were told to call them or come back to the desk with any questions/needs during our stay, and they did a good job of taking care of whatever we needed, including making dinner reservations and calling a shuttle from Rockhouse one evening. We were shown to a room with 3 twin beds, then one right near the road, before we found one that was more what we were looking for. Throughout that process, Kenroy was patient and helpful, calling the desk for us, and making sure we were happy.

The resort is gorgeous. Lots of wood and tile, as opposed to the usual brightly painted concrete. The cabins seem very private. The bathrooms were an unexpected step up for a Jamaican resort. The pool and beach are well kept and clean. The dining room was comfortable and pretty if a little hot and humid, as it's open air.

The food was only average, I'm sorry to say. It was fine for breakfast and lunch, but for dinner we found it lacking. They did have the Thai full service restaurant open one of the nights we were there, and they did a much better job. We enjoyed a cream of pumpkin and coconut soup that I'm going to try to recreate at home. That said, for the difference in cost between this AI and most of the others, we could afford to go out for dinner a few nights.

We treated ourselves to some time at the spa. The hotel's policy of paying at the front desk, and not being able to sign it off to the room, was somewhat confusing. I'd rate the spa services as average. Although I can't remember her name, the woman did a great job with my scrub and wrap. The "spa" however is just two treatment rooms. When you arrive they show you into one of the rooms with a small bathroom off to the side, where you can undress. I prefer to immerse myself in the experience, with a locker room, robes, slippers, ice water, etc.

Overall the resort is very laid-back. It was nowhere near as crowded as the super-inclusives we've stayed at in the past, the the service was much better too. We had no problem finding a lounge chair at the pool or beach (I hate playing the pre-breakfast reserve-a-chair-with-a-towel game), no matter what time we got there. Most of our days were spent at the swim-up pool bar, drinking "Dwight specials". They varied, depending upon what Dwight wanted to put in there, but they were all good!

Unfortunately, we had already paid for our return charter through Int'l Air Link. Luckily my husband had the foresight to add some cushion time to the plan. We had told them we needed to leave for MoBay at 3pm. We taxi'd to the Negril Aerodome at 2:30 and went to the Air Link building. Of course, they didn't know who we were, and had no reservation or plane waiting. We showed them our voucher and they spent some time on the phone. Shortly before 3 they told us the plane was on the way, and that we'd be in the air by 3:05. Then they made arrangments for TimAir to come get us. TimAir sent out a tiny Cessna right away, and by 3:30 we were on our way. We got to MoBay in plenty of time. Next time it's back to the hour-long beautiful bus ride, or maybe we'll try TimAir, if we're feeling adventurous.

To end on a positive note, Air Jamaica did a great job this time! They took off on time, landed on time, and no flights were canceled or changed.

8  Thank KimbaV
The Netherlands
Reviewed November 10, 2005

We had a wonderful week at Sunset at the Palms. The room and the grounds were as lovely as (or more lovely than) is shown in the brochures. The atmosphere is very calm and relaxed and the staff is most friendly. No big crowds or never ending entertainment sessions: we loved it. We did not mind at all that the beach was accross the road. It was only a small walk and the beach and the beach bar and grill were also lovely and had a pleasant vibe. The gym looked good and was well equiped. The spa is tucked away in the back and may look a bit disappointing in comparison to other areas of the resort, but it is clean and the massages are great. And sure, having to use bug spray all the time can be a drag, but that just comes with the Caribean destination and it should surely not spoil your holiday. If we come back to Negril we will definitely stay at this resort again!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 6, 2005

My husband and I had a short but wonderful time at this resort. It was everything we expected it to be according to the reviews we've read. The people were very friendly and helpful. We loved the food, the grounds and the cabin. We had our bug spray, but even the bugs were not bad at all.
We would strongly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to relax and enjoys peacefulness.
Hopefully we will go back someday.....

• Stayed: October 2005