“Beautiful Hotel, Stunning Location & Garth!”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed January 14, 2009

My brother got married here in July and we stayed for a week. The Hotel is absolutely stunning with tree houses for rooms set around the grounds in jungle like splendor. The rooms are of a very good standard and come with all modern amenities and your own personal balcony. The hotel has a pool bar and a sort of cocktail bar near reception, most people hang out at the pool bar and that is where they hold the entertainment every night. There is also a Tennis court and Spa although i did not use them myself. There are buffets at scheduled times throughout the day everyone agreed that the breakfast was best but I never arrived on time myself. The food was surprisingly bland and I did not really enjoy any of the meals including the one at the Lotus Leaf restaurant.

The beach is across the highway and is a 5-10min walk away, there is a private section of beach for the hotel with another bar and water sports desk. You can get burgers, fries and sandwiches most of the day. There are some local vendors just down the beach and if you venture in their direction for a browse practice saying no thank you.

We rented Jet Skies they are a lot of fun in the cove although make sure you agree a price up front and be prepared to be asked for a tip when done.

All the staff were really helpful and friendly especially Garth who was outstanding, we looked forward to heading to the bar when he was on duty and he has a vast array of specials for every occasion. Remember your Bubba Keg!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank BobbyDazla
Write a ReviewReviews (2,771)

Reviewed January 14, 2009

Just returned from Sunset at The Palms and all of the 5 star reviews are right! Staff was incredibly friendly and went out of their way to get anything needed. The beach was a short walk across street. Beautiful water. There were vendors on the beach but a quick no thanks mon and they left you alone. Food was all inclusive food. The Lotus Leaf restaurant was surprisingly good! Overall, very romantic, fun and so relaxing! The spa is also a must!

2  Thank nickyToronto
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We just returned from Jamaica and a week's stay at the Sunset at the Palms resort in Negril. My husband and I were looking for a few days of doing nothing but lounging in the sun and digging our toes in the sand and we found a peaceful retreat at the SATP resort in Negril.

The rooms are great and the patio with the day bed was our favorite place every evening to watch the stars after a sunset walk on the beach. The food was always excellent and the variety of the menu was wonderful. We enjoyed a barbeque on the beach on our last night with regional cuisine (jerk pork AND chicken) and a nice wine to round out the meal. With a full moon, entertainment and great food, we had an evening to remember.

The front desk staff arranged for us to take a tour to the Mayfield waterfalls which was a real blast. I'd recommend it if you can arrange it. The ride up is a bit bumpy due to the poor road surface, but the driver was expert and we enjoyed the ride with him.

We arranged for a fishing trip with a small 18 foot wooden boat called Sugar Daddy. The captain of the boat, Randy was a great guy, but didn't find us any fish...instead, we stumbled upon a pod of 4 black whales! So beauitful, they took your breath away! Such enormous creatures but seem so gentle..even from afar! By far the very best day of our trip!

SATP is a very small resort in comparison to the mega resorts around it in the bay....several thousand rooms on both sides of the beach, but not a sound heard from their loudest parties as our resort was across the street and set well away from the rest. The service here was just wonderful and the staff really make the resort a standout from almost every other all inclusive resort I have visited.

4  Thank lilitch
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Sunset At The Palms is the best resort I have ever had the pleasure to stay at!. My partner and I enjoyed it so much that we really didn't want to go home!

We stayed at the SATP from the dates of 05/01/09 - 12/01/09. We booked with Thomas Cook. Beware if you are flying with them from London Gatwick that the plane stops at Manchester and picks up the passengers there and drops them off at Manchester on the flight home. I was NOT impressed with this. Mainly because it added 4 hours onto our flight time each way and we were not made aware of this by Thomas Cook at the time of booking our holiday.

The hotel is absolutely amazing. It is an hour and twenty minutes transfer from Montego Bay and upon our arrival we were swiftly checked in and given a chilled towel and a fruit punch with a pineapple wedge. Our bags were taken to the room by the porter.

The rooms are lovely. They are elevated on stilts and are in pairs. The bed is kingsize and really comfortable, the furniture is made from dark wood and the room is very tastefully decorated. The bathroom is big, with a huge shower with jets and a double head.
There is a big, comfy daybed on the balcony and it was nice to relax on before dinner.
The safe was free which I liked as I've stayed at several resorts where you have to pay to use it.
My only complaints about the room were , as mentioned in previous reviews, that it is very dimly lit, however I just used the bathroom to get ready in, it has 2 huge mirrors and is brightly lit.
Also, it seemed that the later you left it to have a shower in the evening, the less likely you were to get hot water!
We stayed in room 401 which is in a brilliant location for the pool and the restaurants, but noisy at night as the entertainment goes on until about 10-10:30pm.

The grounds of the hotel were beautiful. Everywhere you turn, you are met by trees, plants and lizards and birds etc.
However, mosquitos are a big problem. I have returned home with no less than 45 bites (no exaggeration!)
There are two bars at the hotel itself, the martini bar which is by the reception and the pool bar where the entertainment was staged each night.
The entertainment was mostly low key, consisting of a steel band, singers, reggae night etc.
The hotel is ultimately for couples who want to relax, I wouldn't recommend it if you are in a group of singles who are looking for big nights out.

The pool was quite small, but more than big enough for the hotel and there were lots of sunloungers to go around, we never saw anymore than a dozen or so people around the pool at the same time.
The pool is kept spotlessly clean everyday by the pool attendant ( whose name I didn't catch). He is a very nice bloke. Very friendly and chatty. He would ask us about our plans for the week and then remember when we'd been on a trip and would enquire as to whether we'd had a nice time.

The beach was lovely, very clean and the sea was warm and crystal clear.
I don't understand the comments from a previous reviewer stating that they were constantly hassled on the beach. We had 2-3 people approach us over the space of a couple of days and a "No thank you" was all it took and they would leave you alone.

The beach grill was nice for snacks. It's handy that you don't have to go back to the hotel to eat, but it is a limited, typical menu such as cheeseburgers, toasted cheese sandwiches, chips etc which were very tasty but I couldn't eat it everyday!

The buffet restaurant was nice. Breakfast was delicious but repetitive. We ate at the Lotus Leaf restaurant 3 times in the evening and the food was absolutely delicious. Try the lamb, it is honestly the best I've ever had!

All of the staff are so friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble and they can't do enough for you.
We did tip the staff at the pool and the restaurant but not because we felt obliged to, or because they expected it, but because they were so nice and helpful!

We booked 3 trips with our rep. The Black River and YS Falls, the craft market and Rick's Cafe and the Horseback Riding and Swim. I can recommend all 3 but the Horseback riding was amazing! The horses swim in the ocean, with you on their back!
We visited the Kool Runnings waterpark which is a 10-15 minute drive from the hotel. There is a taxi driver who is outside the hotel, Mark, who is really nice. He drives a blue car and will take you anywhere you want to go for a reasonable price.

We were worried about venturing outside the hotel due to things that we had heard about it being dangerous. I can honestly say that I always felt safe outside of the hotel, the Jamaican people are very friendly and helpful.

I would definately return to the hotel and our stay at SATP was the best holiday we have ever had, We were so relaxed at the end of it!

5  Thank MarieMc85
Reviewed January 12, 2009

We stayed 10 wonderful days at Sunset at the Palms. We picked this hotel to have our destination wedding and honeymoon. The wedding was everything we expected and more. Everyone was so attentive. By the end of our trip the staff called us by our first names. It was a great experience.

Wedding: Everything turned out perfect. After all the worries I had, the wedding coordinator Kimberly made sure everything was what I wanted. My guests including hotel guests who were just watching were crying. They even came up to us the next day to show us photos of us that they took. It was definitely the most memorable day of my life and the hotel staff made sure that it was.

Resort: It's nice and intimate. Not too big like the Riu or Sandals. The rooms are very unique. The only thing was that there are a lot of bugs at the beach so bring bug spray with a lot of deet. If you are a light sleeper be prepared. You will hear tree frogs all night. I didn't mind at all. The food was good but you do get bored of it. So explore the restaurants nearby.

This was the best vacation ever!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank djtinnie
Reviewed January 11, 2009

just returned from another great stay at sunset at the palms. in that it was our second time going to satp we knew what to expect, and we were not disapointed. we stayed for two weeks 12/20- 1/3/09... as americans we actually felt like we were in the minority.... mostly europeans....english, german,italians, canadians.this time we really got to know the staff.... big hello to leo.... great freindly waiter and what an awsome watch!!!(big hello from tommy boy and pam),kenroy at the front desk...always very helpful, and usually the first face you see upon arriving.... makes you feel at home immediatly!!! and lets not forget drake.... a great guy , who knows alot about the resort and jamaica in general..... and yes he can get you a great coconut...by climbing the palm tree himself. i almost dont want to go on and on about this resort.... i consider this a hidden gem!!! i would hate for it to get too big, and thus lose its charm. i have thought real hard how satp could improve .... one idea.... they must put grilled lobster tails on the menu.(in the resturant). lobster is a jamaican favorite, its hard to beleive that over two weeks they never had it. we actually ventured out to the rock house for a lobster dinner. another idea... would be to have the beach attendents, clean the palm leaves out of the swim area(the ones in the water) it was noticeable that the other resorts (riu/ couples ) did this .the only other thing that needs mentioning.... is the trash issue. satp was always clean, as were the other resort beach areas.... but once you go for a walk down the beach towards the riu... you couldnt help but see lots of trash in the bushes especially styofoam plates and cups..... there is no excuse for this!!!.... i dont know who is to blame..... some how the locals need to be educated on keeping there areas clean..... hey if they lose tourists ... that is a bad thing!.... the locals are slowly being pushed out by new hotels and resturants.... i only hope they will clean up the barren land....... lastly..... yes you do ocassionally get the locals trying to sell you on the beach.... but a no thanx is all it takes..... to be honest i really got to know many of the characters on the beach.... we especially loved christine and louie lamore " the king of the beach" boy that louie is an incredible salesman!!! let not forget cigarette man too" cigarette...cigar cigar"... and mr mega phone, always keeping you up to date on that is happening at the reggae clubs, and if you want the best snorkleing guy.... ask for andy and akai.... just ask louie.... he will get andy to pick you up.... and its cheaper than useing the hotel.... and andy dives with you, showing you all the interesting life in the reefs

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rhodeislandtom
Reviewed January 9, 2009

For our trip to Jamaica I was torn between staying by the beach or staying on the cliffs (west end) so we decided to do a bit of both and it was a fantastic decision! Our first leg of the trip was at SATP and then we moved on over to Catcha Falling Star. SATP was a gorgeous resort. It was very different from the typical all inclusive mega resorts because of its intimacy. You will get to know everyone very well. If that's not your cup of tea then do not stay here. Everyone is super friendly and completely laid back. Every request is met with a warm "yea mon!". I will break down the different aspects of this resort.

Rooms: The rooms are designed like log cabins but on stilts. Imagine a rectangular log cabin with either ends being used as a separate hotel room. So, there are 2 couples that stay right across from each other. The bathroom is quaint and nicely designed. The shower is great! There is a handheld, body spray and regular shower head. The bed is a bit firm but we didn't mind at all. The size of the bed is huge. It is definately a real king size. The TV had various US cable channels so there was always plenty to watch. There is a balcony with a patio table and chairs and also a daybed. I have to admit that the daybed was extremely comfortable. Even more comfortable than the bed in the bedroom! The lighting in the rooms are a bit dim but I think it adds to the romance of it all. There are no refrigerators or bars in the room. However, they do give you a big bottle of water complimentary. Overall the rooms were romantic and charming. It was perfect for the type of crowd that this resort caters to (honeymooners/couples).

Food: It was the best food I've ever had at an all inclusive. I think that the size of the resort contributes to the food being so good. This resort is very small compared to the usual all inclusive resorts. The breakfast was probably the worst out of all three meals. It was always the same usual fare. Eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, toast, french toast, oatmeal, fruits, cereal, and omelettes. But then again, what more do you expect for breakfast? For lunch you have the option of eating at the market grill (beach side) or at the buffet restaurant. We were usually by the beach at lunch time so we ate there mostly. It was always delicious! However, a few times we went back to the resort for lunch and boy were we glad! The lunches at the buffet were fabulous. For dinner we tried both the a la carte and the buffet. The a la carte was good food but small portions. So, being the pigs that we are we went to the a la carte and then hopped on over to the buffet to have a second helping! The only night I didn't enjoy the dinner was Caribbean night. However, after dinner they always set up a few dishes by the pool bar. They usually have a few hot foods and multitude of finger sandwiches. We loved the cheese, cucumber and jam sandwiches. So, there is always something to eat 24 hours a day.

Resort: The resort is beautiful. It will definately feel like you are in the middle of a jungle. Everything is constructed out of wood and there is a vegetation everywhere you look. The only downfall to this is the abundance of mosquitos. We all got eaten alive! So, don't forget the bug spray. The staff is very attentive at keeping the resort impeccably clean. The minute you set down an empty cup it will be taken away. The resort is very very clean. There is someone always at the front desk so you can call them at any hour for any request. The staff is the cherry on top. Everyone is so sweet, accomodating, friendly and fun! You will get to know everyone really well as they make an effort to get to know all of the guests. The bartenders are all super. They never let your drink stay empty for too long. You will never see the bottom of your beer mug, that's for sure! I really can't say enough about the staff and the grounds. It's just the best service I've ever encountered.

Beach: There is a very short walk to the beach which I thought would be a problem but it wasn't at all. The walk was very short and very safe due to the crossing guard. Once you get there your breath will be taken away. It is beautiful! The water is calm and clear. The SATP beach is the least crowded and the nicest by far. We walked to all the other resort beach fronts and all agree that our resort had the best. There are a lot of beach lounge chairs so you don't have to be an early riser to secure a chair. There are some peddlers out there but a simple "no thank you" will suffice. We did rent the wave runners for half an hour. We were able to negotiate down to $40 for 35 mins. They will start at around $60. But don't pay that much! You can definately negotiate down. If you want souvenirs we found the best prices at Times Square market. However, you will pay a lot for the cab ride. So, unless you have another purpose for going there then it's not worth it.

In general the cabs in Jamaica are very pricey. The cab ride from Montego Bay airport to the resort was $80 (there were 4 of us). It's about an hour drive. Then the cab ride from our SATP to Catch a Falling Star (which is right next to Rick's cafe) was about $20. If you are taking a ride to Rick's cafe or anywhere on the west end you should ask your driver to stop by Juici for delicious Jamaican Patties! They are soooo yummy and are only about $1 for a patty. It was well worth it.

All in all, we had a fantabulous time and are counting our days until we can return. Please feel free to msg me with any questions.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family