“A little slice of paradise”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Having never been to Jamaica or to an all-inclusive resort we were not sure what to expect. We were extremely pleased with our choice of Sunset at the Palms. The resort is small and much quieter than those other resorts on the beach - which was much to our liking. Because of the small size we met many of the other guests and enjoyed chatting about activities of the day. We also met many of the outstanding staff. We were always greeted with a smile and wonderful service. We went to the beach every day, relaxing in the shade of the trees. The beach grill offered good food and there was also a bar for beverages if you wanted to stay all day. The vendors were not intrusive. The pool area is small but there were always lounge chairs available. The buffet restaurant was open air with ample seating. The food offered on the buffet was good with plenty of choices. We went to the Lotus Leaf restaurant twice during our stay and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. The gardens surrounding the cottages were beautiful and very nicely maintained. Birds were common - including a long tailed hummingbird that we had never seen before. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the balcony in the late afternoon. Entertainment was fine. We especially enjoyed the "Piano Man" who played near the Martini Bar several nights during the week. The only negative I would add is that there were some mosquitoes in the evening. I attract mosquitoes and after the second night I wore my shirt that repels insects to dinner. They do fog in the evening and I have seen much worse but you might want to take your insect repellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Karen W

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

My partner & I returned today. The hotel was recommended to us & in turn we will recommend it to anyone wanting a truly relaxing holiday. The staff are superb, Clive behind the bar is a legend! The resort is very popular with Canadians and we were lucky enough to meet some lovely people during our stay. Do visit Catch A Falling Star restaurant close to Rick's Cafe if you can - fantastic food & surroundings. We would recommend not taking Jamaican currency with you - everywhere we went, including tipping the beach & hotel staff, they all took US dollars. The pool area is small therefore we did walk across the road to the beach daily. Am aching to go back again ASAP!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jeenge
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is a fantastic resort- not one of these huge overcrowded places. All the staff are so friendly and attentive, they really take an interest in getting to know you and they all remember your name!
I have never been on an all inclusive holiday before and this has certainly set a vey high standard! The rooms are beautiful and the food delicious!

My only comment would be that entertainment could be slightly better as if you are there for more than a week it becomes a bit repetitive. I understand the management are aiming towards making this a 5* this year and they are building new apartments and a pool by the beach.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing and quiet holiday.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Aisling H
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I cannot say enough good about this fantastic resort. We loved it's small size, which meant no waiting in line or fighting for beach space. Huge buffet, delicious items on the beach grill, super friendly staff, well kept gardens and rooms. We especially enjoyed Henry, a local fisherman who took us out snorkeling a couple of times. Look him up on the beach if you make it here, no problem!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank shelleyt809
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Yes the concept of the treehouses sold me and were the neatest part of the stay, but ran into some issues that really made things unpleasant. More of the workers than not weren't very friendly. Not a ton of variety at the buffet. Ate at Lotus Leaf first night and waitor had no personality-you could tell he hated his job. Apparently the beach is only accessable from 7am-7pm so there goes your moonlight walk on the beach idea. My biggest problem however was one of the bartenders. While I was waiting for my boyfriend he was nonstop hitting on me and got creepy. When my boyfriend did arrive the bartender was very rude to him, glaring at him buy kept making his drinks stronger and stronger. It was suspicious and actually scared me so we went back to our room and stayed clear the bartender the rest of the trip. I seriously felt our safety was being threatened and didn't sleep well. I was literally trembling. To make things worse the creepy bartender CALLED me from jamaica recently. I don't know how he got my number, but if that doesn't scare a person I don't know what will!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
38  Thank Ally B
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were on vacation Sept 2013. The grounds were very nice and clean at all times. The staff was one of the most unfriendly I have ever seen. They wee not very friendly at check in our any other time at the front. The bar tenders were not friendly. The wait staff at the buffet was the best of anyone. The food was terrible except the red snapper at the beach. I was shocked at how many young couples were there but they were so drunk most of the time they had no clue. Do not believe them about no pot being smoked on the property! The treehouses were very nice and clean. Not a place I would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 26lovetotravel26
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was r third visit to Jamaica but first time to this resort. Every resort has its pros and cons. But its what u make of it for urself. The staff is very friendly and well manored. I seen people tipping the staff but we did not. It did NOT change the level of service. A simple thank u worked just as well. I liked being able to carry on a conversation with staff. Shout out to leo from the coffee bar, Kemp from the pool and beach bar, and jay from the water sports on the beach. They all made us feel very welcome and would do anything u ask.
I would recommend this resort to anyone who just wants to relax. IT IS NOT A PARTY RESORT.
Will we go back to satp probably not but that's because we stay somewhere new every time for a new experience.

• Stayed: February 2014