“Honeymoon at SATP”

Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Pensacola, Florida
“Honeymoon at SATP”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We arrived Nov. 9 2013 for our honeymoon and had high hopes for this resort. Upon arrival, we were greeted with cold towels and ice cold punch.

The check-in process left a lot to be desired. I had completed the online check in process ahead of time but ended up having to provide much of the same information upon arrival. We had booked our stay through a timeshare exchange and despite receiving numerous confirmations directly from SATP about our stay, during check in we were asked to provide confirmation for the timeshare exchange, which no one had ever told me I would need to present. Additionally, their accounting system had no record of my payment for our meal plan, which I had made 2 weeks prior to our arrival and was documented on my credit card statements. I finally emailed them a copy of my credit card statement to prove I had paid and the issue was resolved, but it was a frustrating and unnecessary situation to deal with.

The bungalows were pleasant and very private thanks to the BEAUTIFUL and lush landscaping (be sure to get a tour of the property with Shorty, the gardener). Our first day the shower ran out of hot water very quickly and we were told that the hot water tank is shared with another room and that if we both take showers at the same time, there may not be enough hot water. We made sure to stalk our neighbors the rest of the trip to beat them into the shower. Another thing we found odd was that there weren't really windows, just shutters which did not fully block out noise from outside. Fortunately our bungalow was far away from the pool and dining areas, but occasionally someone loud would walk by and disturb us at night.

The pool area and beach were wonderful. Yes, people will try to sell you stuff on the beach but just say no and they will leave you alone.

I thought the food was average at best. This was my first time vacationing at an all-inclusive resort, so I was not sure what to expect. The buffet was pretty hit or miss, but there were at least a couple of things at each meal that were good. Usually when I travel I use it as an excuse to try the best restaurants in the local area, so the food was disappointing for me but would probably be just fine for the typical traveler. We did dine one night at the sit-down restaurant and thought the quality much better than the buffet.

Room Tip: our room in the upper 400s seemed to be ideally situated
2 Thank mce11213

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I just left Sunset at the Palms yesterday, November 15, 2013... It was amazing from the second you walked in the door. They greeted you at the front with cold towels and a fresh punch drink. You check in and go to the room with the bellman who happily takes your bags to your room and shows you how to turn on the air conditioning and makes sure everything is comfortable for you. The rooms are gorgeous and spacious!

We were accommodated to everything we ever needed or wanted here. The staff was GREAT, honest and they felt like family to us. We were there celebrating our 1 year anniversary and my birthday and on my birthday night, they delivered a handmade cake to our room with Happy Birthday and my name written on it! When we wanted a cab, all we had to do was say we wanted it and within minutes there was one waiting. The resort is gated and fenced so it's very safe, security roams the property at night to make sure things are ok, too. There's a gardener named Shorty who does his famous property walks some mornings for guests. They fog the property often, so bugs aren't much of an issue.

There's a cappuccino bar in the lobby area with great coffee, cappuccino and expresso shots. Near it is a buffet line with multiple choices of great food with a wide window of serving times. There's a small poolside eating area and also two large covered eating areas. The staff makes sure everyone is dressed appropriately for dining for each meal as well. There's a poolside bar that's swim up and walk up on the other side with a dancing area, lounge chairs and a stage where they have bands and karaoke(FUN!!). At night, there's a martini bar that serves up some good martinis and is more of a chill atmosphere. There's also a restaurant you have to make reservations to eat and you make them the morning of and just show up, sit down and relax at a nice meal.

The beach is a VERY short walk across the street with a crossing guard to stop traffic for you. There's a beachside bar and also a beachside grill that serves anything you could order- if they don't have it, they'll get it for you (and that goes for anything else at the resort too). We had fresh lobster (at a small charge) cooked on the grill for us and we ate it beachside at the picnic tables. There's the perfect amount of shade and sand on the beach so anyone can enjoy themselves.

This resort was truly the "no worries" resort that you'd think of when you think of Jamaica. Shout out to our favorite staff members Leonardo, Kemp, Clive and Gladston!

Room Tip: We had our first room in the 100's and it was so quiet and private. We got moved to the 600'...
5 Thank Bethanie D
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We touched down in Montego Bay on Nov 10th to celebrate our 1st year wedding bliss and could NOT wait to just get to our resort at Sunset at the Palms. It was our first time in Jamaica as we try different islands every time we decide to go on a vacation. We were deciding between St. Lucia and Aruba at first but I wasn't too thrilled on going to those two places just yet. I looked online and found this resort and I am so glad I did! When we touched down, it felt a little chaotic as a lot of taxis and shuttles are trying to get your business. Please, Please schedule your transfer before you leave to come to this place. We wish we got our own taxi guy before we touched down but we didn't.

Aside from our chaotic beginning, we were glad to finally Arrive at Sunset at the Palms. Like every guest who mentioned cold cloth and fruit punch upon arrival, we had the same. The check-in took about 10 minutes and someone escorted us to our room for the night. The room that we requested weren't ready that day so they upgraded us to a suite. The suite was big and had two levels. 1 bedroom, 2 bathrooms (1 upstairs and downstairs) and we had a hammock outside. It was cool at first until we noticed that the AC was not working like we thought it would. It was really hot in our bedroom which made our first night not as comfortable as we expected. We still dealt with it as we know that we will have a new room the very next day. The new room we got the next day was amazing. We had a great view and it was located in the 700's. It was ways walk from the front desk but it wasn't a big deal to us. We enjoy the walk as my husband and I live a very active lifestyle. Since we stayed in an ALL inclusive, might as well walk the extra food we ate off. hahaha

Pros:

Service: The people were very friendly and personable. We love our waiter Craig! He is the best! I don't drink much alcohol but I love Mango juice. I always request my mango juice and he is always ready to give it to me. Please make sure you tip even though the resort says not to. $1 goes a long way. If you love the service you're getting, please make sure you give them a little something. I have never seen such a hardworking people in my life. Also, they have a welcome party once a week (?) where they introduce the staff. They always have a smile on their faces ready to make sure that you are having a great time. It was hard for me to compare it to our previous trip to our resort in turks and Caicos but the staff at SATP were more genuine than the staff at the resort from turks. Such a down to earth people! I love them so much! I woke up early couple of times to just walk around the area and take pictures of the beautiful tropical flowers. The gardeners were always there to show me around and let me know the best spots to take pictures at. I do photography on the side and I loved this place.

Cleanliness: The place is very clean. The gardeners are always around every morning making sure that everything is how it should be. The flowers are blooming and nothing is in the way. Every time we get back from the beach, our room is always clean and fresh!

Beach: The beach was calm but it can go without the hacklers. Please see my tip! :P

Room: What a romantic way to celebrate our 1st year wedding anniversary. Our room, aside from our first night, was amazeballs! We had a mosquito net over our bed facing our double doors to the patio.

Cons:

Food: The food was NOT bad. I just wish that they had more Caribbean food selections not just one night a week. I came to jamaica for authentic JAMAICAN food not italian, asian or AMERICAN food. It was just disappointing that I didn't get what I was looking for when it came to Caribbean dishes. I guess I can't blame them. There are plenty of travelers who travel and expect to eat the same thing they eat at home. My suggestion is, serve more Authentic Jamaican food DAILY and leave the american dishes to the Lotus restaurant. If people don't like the jamaican dishes, then they can make reservation at the restaurant or drive their butts to burger king at west end.

Vendors:

Man if the american people have the same passion as the vendors in jamaica, they will make so much money. I just didn't like that some of them tried to sell us some Ganja! Unlike some people visiting jamaica, we didn't come here to smoke trees. My husband works for the gov't and lets leave it at that. However, my husband and I are both young so I can see why they might've thought such foolishness. I thought it was a little entertaining though. However, a simple "NO" will suffice. They do have a very good memory so if you tell them "later" then expect them to come back. If you really don't want to buy anything then make sure you tell them "NO THANKS" then they will go away. Have patience as it's the only way for them to make a living. Please don't be rude

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet at night then you might want to get a room in the 400's. Also, when...
1 Thank Jam M
Nanticoke
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Arrived Nov. 9/13 from Toronto flying with Sunwing. We were given a welcome card to meet up with our rep the next day. They did not show, and we were unable to get in touch with them.
Not going to rant and rave, but when you have to live out of a suitcase all week because there are no drawers, not a happy person!
You are given ONE bottle of water, yes one! No problem, you can fill it up at the bar! Apparently, Americans can have beer, water, and pop if they complain enough.
I always bring our own coffee, milk and creamers for coffee in the morning on the porch. The coffee maker that is offered is a kettle! And the porch was two small for two people to sit at the table. The day bed posted in pictures would hold a 5 year old, not adults.
I would come back to Jamaica, but not to SATP.
CHECK OTHER REVIEW FOR POSITIVE REVIEWS.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nanticoke
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Hi, we just returned from our 2nd trip to SATP. We had a wonderful time and felt very special when a lot of the staff remembered us from our 1st time . It was the rainy season and rained every day but it didn't seem to hamper our excursions or just being in Jamaica. Yes we had to run for cover a few times at the beach but it soon dried up and we returned to the water. The water by the way was fabulous, warm, calm and just great to wade in. The food was excellent and the staff were great. We stayed one night in the family suites while they got our rooms ready, I wish we could have stayed in the suites a little longer, as they were very nice. John Wayne, Shorty, Opal and all the staff were perfect and I want to thank them for a wonderful 2nd trip to SATP.

Room Tip: Rooms located in the back of the complex are nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sharon o
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We are two couples who are just back from a one week stay at SATP booked through Sunwing.
If you book through Sunwing, I would suggest to book a private transfer since the delays both ways cost you 2 to 3 hours of your vacation time if you feel your time is valuable on vacation.

We liked the buffet most nights and while not an overly elaborate spread, it did the trick.

We did the Lotus Resto one night and only 1 of us enjoyed their meal so stuck with the buffet.

The rooms are comfortable (a bit dark). This is 3.5* - 4* star carribean comfort. We were happy with our room locations in the 700's.

The Beach is the best location on bloody bay with lots of room and no need for 'reserving' chairs. Snorkeled off the beach at the end of the beach near Pointe Village (did not do the $30 trip off the beach). We also snorkeled off Xtabi for a day and stayed there for a day trip.

Bring your high DEET content bug spray - if you are prone to bugs, you will need it.

We used Ashton Pitt for YS Falls and shopping. Suggest to go to Mayfield Falls which we liked better a few years ago.

Overall, a wonderful quiet resort for a quiet, peaceful vacation. The staff are amazing.

Room Tip: Back of the property away from the road
2 Thank Langroch
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed for six nights. The hotel exceeded out expectations! It was an easy 1hr and half commute from Montego Bay airport. Upon arrival we were greeted with a cold fruit punch drink and a wet towel to wash our hands. After we check into our room (200's) we went to the beach grill to eat....Our vacation started!
PROS: Staff is amazing!!! The hotel internet was down when we checked in and they let me use their private computer in their office to send emails back home that we arrived. Through out our stay the staff remembered what kind of tea we preferred, what our favorite drinks at the bar were etc.... The beach was perfect! A LOT of shade! We were the first at the beach on most of the days. There was plenty of space/beach chairs/towels. We loved walking on from one end of the beach to the other every morning. There are vendors walking the beach but they are harmless and nice. Sometimes we bought things (cigars, sugar cane, wooden giraffe) from them, other times we said no thanks and they left us alone. We had lobster at the beach twice. DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS! It was the best lobsters ever! They are $20 each and are not part of the hotel but you will never eat a lobster this delicious again! We loved the calm and beautiful ocean and stayed in there for hours! Sunset was amazing. We went to Jacuzzi in the afternoon and loved talking to other couples while sitting in hot bubbles and drinking cold drinks. Hotel grounds look like out of Jurassic Park..if you love nature (we love nature) this is heaven! Out tree house was large, private, primitive, perfect! We felt like we were in Africa at times. Food was awesome most of the time..we ate at Lotus restaurant twice, I highly recommend it! Everything there was delicious. I did not care for Mexican night (Mondays), but LOVED Jamaican night!! We took nature walk with Shorty. He is a character! We walked with him for about 45 min and loved his stories! We also took a cooking class and learned how to make Jamaican fish. It was entertaining and fun! I loved the intimacy of this place. This is NOT a mega resort but a small private quite clean resort. Our lives back home are so busy, structured, hectic etc., that it was wonderful to completely relax and forget that there is a modern world out there somewhere.
CONS: there are not many, I didn't like my linens. I felt they've seen better days. I wished for breakfast they would have fresh fruit juices or shakes.
CONCLUSION: This was our sixth time in Jamaica. We stayed at Sandals, FDR (2x), Iberostar, & Lady Hamilton. We loved Sunset on the Palms the most!!!!! It was small, intimate, private, primitive, perfect for couples, a rare find in today's world of mega hotels!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jennifer B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,226 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!