“2nd trip”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #6 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Hi, we just returned from our 2nd trip to SATP. We had a wonderful time and felt very special when a lot of the staff remembered us from our 1st time . It was the rainy season and rained every day but it didn't seem to hamper our excursions or just being in Jamaica. Yes we had to run for cover a few times at the beach but it soon dried up and we returned to the water. The water by the way was fabulous, warm, calm and just great to wade in. The food was excellent and the staff were great. We stayed one night in the family suites while they got our rooms ready, I wish we could have stayed in the suites a little longer, as they were very nice. John Wayne, Shorty, Opal and all the staff were perfect and I want to thank them for a wonderful 2nd trip to SATP.

Room Tip: Rooms located in the back of the complex are nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sharon o
Write a ReviewReviews (2,675)

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We are two couples who are just back from a one week stay at SATP booked through Sunwing.
If you book through Sunwing, I would suggest to book a private transfer since the delays both ways cost you 2 to 3 hours of your vacation time if you feel your time is valuable on vacation.

We liked the buffet most nights and while not an overly elaborate spread, it did the trick.

We did the Lotus Resto one night and only 1 of us enjoyed their meal so stuck with the buffet.

The rooms are comfortable (a bit dark). This is 3.5* - 4* star carribean comfort. We were happy with our room locations in the 700's.

The Beach is the best location on bloody bay with lots of room and no need for 'reserving' chairs. Snorkeled off the beach at the end of the beach near Pointe Village (did not do the $30 trip off the beach). We also snorkeled off Xtabi for a day and stayed there for a day trip.

Bring your high DEET content bug spray - if you are prone to bugs, you will need it.

We used Ashton Pitt for YS Falls and shopping. Suggest to go to Mayfield Falls which we liked better a few years ago.

Overall, a wonderful quiet resort for a quiet, peaceful vacation. The staff are amazing.

Room Tip: Back of the property away from the road
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Langroch
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed for six nights. The hotel exceeded out expectations! It was an easy 1hr and half commute from Montego Bay airport. Upon arrival we were greeted with a cold fruit punch drink and a wet towel to wash our hands. After we check into our room (200's) we went to the beach grill to eat....Our vacation started!
PROS: Staff is amazing!!! The hotel internet was down when we checked in and they let me use their private computer in their office to send emails back home that we arrived. Through out our stay the staff remembered what kind of tea we preferred, what our favorite drinks at the bar were etc.... The beach was perfect! A LOT of shade! We were the first at the beach on most of the days. There was plenty of space/beach chairs/towels. We loved walking on from one end of the beach to the other every morning. There are vendors walking the beach but they are harmless and nice. Sometimes we bought things (cigars, sugar cane, wooden giraffe) from them, other times we said no thanks and they left us alone. We had lobster at the beach twice. DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS! It was the best lobsters ever! They are $20 each and are not part of the hotel but you will never eat a lobster this delicious again! We loved the calm and beautiful ocean and stayed in there for hours! Sunset was amazing. We went to Jacuzzi in the afternoon and loved talking to other couples while sitting in hot bubbles and drinking cold drinks. Hotel grounds look like out of Jurassic Park..if you love nature (we love nature) this is heaven! Out tree house was large, private, primitive, perfect! We felt like we were in Africa at times. Food was awesome most of the time..we ate at Lotus restaurant twice, I highly recommend it! Everything there was delicious. I did not care for Mexican night (Mondays), but LOVED Jamaican night!! We took nature walk with Shorty. He is a character! We walked with him for about 45 min and loved his stories! We also took a cooking class and learned how to make Jamaican fish. It was entertaining and fun! I loved the intimacy of this place. This is NOT a mega resort but a small private quite clean resort. Our lives back home are so busy, structured, hectic etc., that it was wonderful to completely relax and forget that there is a modern world out there somewhere.
CONS: there are not many, I didn't like my linens. I felt they've seen better days. I wished for breakfast they would have fresh fruit juices or shakes.
CONCLUSION: This was our sixth time in Jamaica. We stayed at Sandals, FDR (2x), Iberostar, & Lady Hamilton. We loved Sunset on the Palms the most!!!!! It was small, intimate, private, primitive, perfect for couples, a rare find in today's world of mega hotels!

8  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our stay was for 5 days and four nights... Not long enough! There was a group of four couples and we all had a wonderful time. The resort is very quiet and tranquil. They keep the lights on the property very dim so it has a very romantic feel. There is no late night partying like you would get at some resorts.
The rooms are very private and tranquil. Only two rooms to a unit. You don't open your door to a hallway full of doors like most hotels. The "treehouse" effect makes for a relaxing stay.
Just make sure you use bug spray when you're out at night!! I woke up itching every morning because I forgot to use it while at dinner and listening to the entertainment. You would think I would have learned after the first night.
The jerk chicken at the beach bar is the BEST! Be patient at lunch time though. One person working at her own pace, but she does a great job.
The whole staff at this resort does a wonderful job. The service is the best I have ever had at any resort or hotel. The friendliest people you could ever meet. I actually returned home feeling a little changed by the respectful ways the Jamaicans showed me. Something more Americans need to appreciate :)
While laying on the beach, Donnavon will come by and play his guitar and sing! He has an awesome voice and deserves to be heard. He brings the true Jamaican spirit to your vacation. Please tip him and even buy his CD. If you love reggae, you won't regret it. As for the beach vendors, a polite "no thank you" will do. They never bothered us again but they did say HI when they walked by going to the new person :)
The Internet and wifi wasn't working while we were there, but that was OK. It forced me to relax and not rely on technology. Got wifi at Ricks Cafe and touched base with everyone I needed, then back to seclusion.
When I return to Jamaica, I will stay here again! Security at the resort was very good. Even late at night.
Just an FYI- Hollister is the most popular brand in Jamaica even though they don't have stores there. The kids love that brand. Also, school supplies can be expensive. If you have room for any, they appreciate any given to them.
Thank you to the staff at Sunset at the Palms for the wonderful time we had! No complaints from me! :)

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank BoughFamily
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed a 2 week honeymoon at this resort in October. It is difficult for us to find fault. The only thing that we could comment on negatively is that the rooms although spacious, private and quiet could do with more cupboard space and the plumbing is a little curious. Having said that, we understand that all rooms are being updated and from December the hotel changes to adult only status. I know some found the tree frog noise bothersome, we loved it. Also we couldn't hear the road, room 406.
It is small, only 85 rooms, which means that the service is very personal. There are plenty of staff and all are friendly, attentive and obliging.
The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. A real tropical paradise with plenty of shade from the very hot sun.
We loved the quiet and peaceful nature of the place. But if you want a schedule of activities you will be disappointed. There were plenty of things to do on the beach if you are so inclined such as boat trips, wet bikes, etc. However we enjoyed just relaxing. You are met on arrival at the beach. someone gets your comfortable loungers and places them where you want either in the sun or shade. There is a dedicated swimming area, the water was warm and clear. The sand was raked each day. There is a bar and grill and good sanitary facilities at the beach. There are a few beach sellers about and musicians but if you don't acknowledge them they leave you alone. On the odd occasion that we were approached we politely declined and they went away.
The pool is a decent size with plenty of loungers and the swim up bar is fun. The pool bar is the place for evening entertainment from 9:00 to 10:30 each evening. The vast majority of people including us didn't stay up late but twice we chatted in the pool bar with a few other guests until midnight.
We are fussy eaters and I am vegetarian but we always found plenty to eat in the buffet restaurant. The a la carte restaurant is also very good. The piano player was very good and the piano bar was an alternative to the pool bar.
We went out and about and enjoyed a couple of trips, in particular the Black River, YS Falls and the Appleton Rum factory. The sunset cruise which takes in Rick's Cafe is great fun but make sure you get one that leaves from the hotel beach.
As many say, the staff are absolute stars, thank you to each and every one. That includes the management who are visible and talk to guests. As to tipping; we never felt one was expected. The staff are not supposed to accept tips although a few dollars here and there are very much appreciated.

Room Tip: If you want to be sure of no road noise as for a quiet room.
1  Thank lincsblonde
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending 5 nights at this lovely resort for our honeymoon. During our stay we were very impresesed by the friendly staff, lush landscaping, and convenient location.

I highly recommend using Island Transfers and Tours to travel from the airport in Montego Bay. The trip is roughly an hour, and their service is unbeatable. They were friendly, on time, had immaculately clean vehicles, and drove well. Bryron, or driver both ways, knows how to make you feel at home and at ease right away-- I will ask for him by name next time I visit.

The cabins are spacious and comfortable, for it being so humid. Cleaning staff changes the sheets every day, and provides complimentary turn-down service every night. You may wish to use one of their free mosquite nets, as mosquitos are plentiful in the area (they do their best to mitigate them, but it's the "cost of doing business" in the tropics. Be prepared with deet!). The 6-head shower is luxurious, and big enough to share with your partner.

Meals were yummy, with breakfast, lunch, and dinner being provided buffet style, though for lunch I suggest taking advantage of the grill on the beach which is included as one of the amenitites of your stay. Chef Opal makes a mean jerk chicken, jerk cheesy fries (I still have dreams about them!) and cajun seared red snapper. The bars are fantastic, and unlike other resrts NEVER dilute or water-down their drinks. We had the best time asking the bartenders to make us their favorite or signature drink, which was never on the menu. Everyone is congenial and enjoys having a good time! Be cautious though, those famous Bob Marley shots are stronger than they look!

The management is friendly and seems to be on top of their level of service. We never wanted for anything.

The beach...I cannot stress how nice it is. Staff cleans up leaves every day, and the only thing you have to do is sit back from the water's edge just a bit and you won't be harassed by vendors. Even the more aggressive ones are pretty friendly, and if you say "No thank you, respect", you get a friendly fist bump and away they go.

We can't way to go back. Sunset at the Palms is perfect four couples looking for a quite, secluded romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the pool if you're looking for peace and quiet. We were in room 108 whic...
3  Thank Cortney I
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a thoroughly enjoyable 9 day break at SATP. The resort is very tranquil, beautiful gardens and very private accomodation. The staff were on the most part excellent, great choice of food at both restaurants in the evening, breakfasts and lunch choices were plentiful. The beautiful beach was a short and pleasant walk away, and if you're polite to the beach vendors they'll leave you alone. I would thoroughly recommend this resort, those that moan about it clearly have very very high expectations!!! One love!!!

Stayed: November 2013