“Spectacular!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Lawson, Missouri
“Spectacular!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon, and we had the time of our lives! Everything was pretty amazing; from the friendliness of the staff to the tastefullness of the food. Every night was a new "culture" of food for dinner. Breakfast was always delicious. And the grill at the beach was tasty and convenient.
Although the resort isn't located on the beach, it was a nice short scenic walk to it. And to have the convenience of not only the grill, but the bar too!
The room was not luxurious, but it was very appropriate for the area. Clean and comfortable. There were some plumbing issues, persay not all the spickits in the shower were working properly, but worked nonetheless.
Grounds were well maintained every day.
Did get kind of tired of all the locals Walking down the beach trying to get you to buy stuff from them. Some were quite bothersome.
The restaurant in the resort wasn't very filling, but made nice for a romantic night. But you always have the buffet to resort back to.
All in all, very nice visit. Wouldn't mind at all to stay there again.
Entertainment was kind of "blah" but heck, we were in bed early almost every night as the sun just took it out of us.
And it was convenient to be able to book off resort excursions right there at the desk. Although somewhat pricy.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Justin E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
Jeffersonville, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sunset at the Palms Aug4-11th 2013 and we had THE BEST VACATION ever. The staff is very friendly and courteous! Everyone would stop to chat, ask how you're doing and offer to help with anything! Rooms were comfortable and private. We loved the bungalows. Highly recommend the Bob Marley shots at the bar and the Lotus Leaf restaurant -- excellent food!!

We will for sure make this a regular vacation spot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jadedjenny
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sunset At The Palms Resort (SATP). The occasion was to celebrate her birthday the first week of October and we have nothing but praise for this resort.

Upon arrival you are seated at a reception desk in the small, beautiful open- air lobby where the always cheerful Jamaican resort staff treat you to a wet cold cloth and tropical drink. You are then given all the documentation, physical items (room keys, safe key, towel cards) and information you can possibly absorb after a long flight and shuttle from the airport.

From the very first moment, you are aware of the completely unique, calm, intimate and zen like features of this resort. As an aside, if you are looking for the high energy, loud music and the endless long rows of deck chairs of the typical Riu experience, this resort is NOT for you. SATP is beautiful and aesthetically pleasing in every detail; from its all-wood construction and open airy feeling in every facility on the premises. This resort is situated on a 10 acre tropical botanical garden with meandering concrete pathways that lead to individual cottages. Each of the 85 cottages is raised by 6 feet with open undercarriage breezeway. Each unit has 2 well maintained cottages that include a private outside deck with day bed, offering complete privacy from each other. The common area facility and buildings comprising the restaurants, bars and seating areas are open to the beautiful gardens and sky, are all constructed of natural rot and insect resistant woods and all furniture is made and carved in wood - absolutely outstanding.

A note about the tree frogs which other reviewers seem to want to comment about: These very small tree frogs do not croak in the typical sense, but rather they have a sound similar to a bleep or a bird. Yes they sing all night, yes they are rather loud, but no they are not annoying. In my opinion, their rather melodic sound is pleasant and can be used as white noise to induce sleep.

Both restaurants serve well prepared and well presented dishes; nutritious and varied - no complaints at all. The bars are varied in theme and serve all possible types of exotic, tropical drinks, with Jamaican rum of course, being the specialty beverage. No drinks are diluted or watered down as they are in other countries.

To access the beach you need only to leave the gardens and cross the street which is just a 2 lane road - with the assistance of an always friendly and smiling crossing guard, no less, holding a sign - I thought I was back in elementary school - extremely delightful. The beach has a bar and a separate grill, the sand is clean and white and the water is that beautiful combination color of teal, green and glacial blue that we all associate with the Caribbean. Although the resort staff do a good job of monitoring the beach activities, you may find the beach vendors, musicians and solicitors to be annoying as some of them are insistent and that is especially the case if you venture outside the bounds of the resort beach. Buying souvenirs and goods from these vendors is recommended as it ensures the money spent remains in Jamaica, unlike what happens in the retail stores in the shopping malls, which is a sad reality.

The weather in Jamaica in October invariably includes some rain on most days. However, the rain would last 15 minutes or an hour or two and then the sun would always come out and the temperature would immediately increase to 30 degrees. When it rained we went to the swim up bar - no problem, mon.

The best part of this resort, I say without exception, is the attitude and demeanor of every member of the SATP resort staff and support staff. All office staff, restaurant and bar staff, maids, grounds personnel, pool attendants, security attendants and repairmen are the most delightful, friendly, pleasant, polite, professional, respectful and humble people you could possibly meet. They are forever smiling and laughing and are always in motion, singing and swaying to music. They are willing to address any need or concern you have. As a case in point, staff (under the direction of Rory and Lair) took it upon themselves to provide an outstanding dinner and romantic experience for my wife’s special birthday, without any provocation or request from us and treated us to a personal celebration, the likes of which we could not possibly duplicate. At the risk of not remembering all names, I would like to acknowledge the following staff who we found exceptional: Sifford who is omnipresent, Craig in dining, Lair, Rory and Elvis in the restaurant, Melissa, Kerry and Kemp in the bars, Venroy and Leonardo, and last, but not least, Shorty who gave us a 2 hour tour of the gardens - thank you all.

The resort has complimentary and included activities as well as other activities that they can arrange for you. All you have to do is ask at the concierge or the other representatives of the airlines and tours, all of whom are always present and available.

Because SATP is small and intimate you would often see the same people every day and get to know them on a more personal level than you would normally in a large resort.

Jamaican people are a fun lot. English is the primary language, being taught in all schools. You could have fun learning some Patois from the locals. Patois is a stylized, vowel deficient, seriously truncated dialect of English that the local Jamaicans use to communicate with each other while ensuring that we aliens will not understand them.

This was our second trip to Jamaica but our first to Negril and we will definitely return to SATP as we are so impressed. All other resorts we have stayed in over the years pale by comparison. Perfect vacation - thank you.

Room Tip: Try to choose a bungalow away from either the tennis court or the road.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TsawwassenSage
Pompano Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This has been my 3rd trip to Jamaica and this one has been the worse ever.
Jamaica is definitely a place to visit and all inclusive is the way to go but finding the right hotel is a challenge and that's why when I travel I give everything a chance.
This time I chose to stay for a week at the Sunset at the Palms in Negril (3rd time in Negril by the way)
The staff was SUPER friendly (same for all other hotels), but as far as dining experience, it's VERY bad (I LOVE Jamaican food by the way). So all you get there is a Asian restaurant that only open 3 times during the week (food sucks) and everyday you have the buffet that is worse. By the beach, there is a GRILL restaurant and all they serve is Jerk Chicken, hamburgers and hot dogs.
The room look beautiful with the garden and are clean but don't let the pictures fool you, in most of these rooms the AC make a loud noise, the toilets don't flush too well and the shower doesn't drain.
For the one that LOVE to exercise, the Tennis court looks nice and the GYM is very good.
I love traveling, I've stayed in many, many, many hotels so TRUST ME. this hotel is not a 4 star, I would rate it a 2 1/2 star because you don't get your money's worth.
If you want to go to a nice hotel in Negril, spend a little more and go to either SANDALS or Couple Swept Away (you will have a much better time).

Room Tip: all the rooms are the same, AC is loud and make ALOT of noise. Maybe ask for a room in the 700 but o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Isabelle R
Sand Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I absolutely LOVED Sunset at the Palms. We were greeted with a cool towel and a refreshing drink, with all details of our trip CORRECT! (this doesn't always happen in other countries!) The air conditioning was a little different... it worked, but didn't keep our room quite as cool as we would've liked it. The little huts you stay in are so neat, one of the main reasons we chose to stay here. So much better than the huge commercial resorts. Would definitely return! Hopefully we're back sooner than later!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank melaniejean13
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Two gals from Canada decided we deserved a vacation.
I actually bought a deal on livingsocial.com for a 5 night stay at Sunset at The Palms. Flights weren't included, but it was an amazing deal. We ended up only paying $990.00 for both of us. So look around for deals before booking. Some other people at the resort got similar deals on Groupon. So they are out there.

Being two ladies with no guys (we got asked "where are your men" many times). We were worried about safety before arriving. As soon as we arrived at the resort all our worries vanished. It was the safest, nicest, cleanest place I've ever stayed.

It seems like it is mainly a couples resort. Other than us there was only one other group that wasn't a couple. 4 cool kids from NYC, who we should have talked to much earlier. The resort is quiet, especially at night. Most people are in bed after dinner. So make friends with the locals and go to a beach party. Karaoke night is the liveliest of the nights... don't miss it.

The staff was AMAZING!. Special shout outs to ELVIS (an amazing singer, and an amazing chef... TIP - Try the soup every night) Leonardo... the best barrista outside of Starbucks. He has a photographic memory, and new the name of every single guest! O'Neal, brings you to your room and is the perfect way to introduce you to the hotel. And last but certainly not least my friend "Teacher" the best lifeguard ever. Not because he had to save any lives, but because he was nice, fun, and was always excited to see us.

The rooms were amazing. In the rainy season you get a little bit of afternoon rain (and by that I mean a deluge between 2 - 4 daily) While all the couples were indulging in audible "Afternoon delight", we would hang out on our balcony, listen to music and "chillax". We really felt like we had our own little house. The beds are firm but comfy. The maids do an amazing job. There are no doors on the bathroom.

The beach was BEAUTIFUL! It is across from the resort, but it really doesn't matter. Go see the sunset every night. It is always different, and the beach has a different kind of calm at that time. (less vendors)

Food is good... you get a little sick of buffet food. But it was all good, and they had plenty of fresh fruit and veg. But seriously just eat the Jerk each night... chicken, goat, pork... whatever the protein eat the JERK. Also get the nachos at the beach bar.

TIPS.
Vendors - Be nice to them and they will be nice to you. They are just people trying to make some money. On the first day I kept telling them "maybe tomorrow", "maybe later in the week" DON'T FOLLOW MY LEAD. If you aren't going to go on a Jetski, don't make empty promises. Just say no thanks, respect.
If you don't want to buy ganga tell them you don't smoke. They will leave you alone. If you do go wild. (some people are scared by reading too much before travelling - I was one of them) it is culturally accepted on a broad level. There is so much of it, that the idea of getting arrested is comical after being there. It is part of why people go to Jamaica, so enjoy it.

Go off the resort!
The people of Jamaica are poor but amazing. Their philosophy on life is addictive. "One Love" isn't just a song it is a way of life. Talk to everyone, they genuinely like tourists and are thankful to have you on their island.

If you can afford to take a trip like this you can afford to thank the people for making it amazing.
TIP THEM! Don't be a cheapo thinking that tips are included. Most resort staff make only $50/wk. They rely on tipping to feed their families.

Also if you go bring some school supplies which are in very short supply on the island. Give them to the staff or anyone you meet and they will be very grateful.

I'm already planning a return trip. I'm going to bring as many people as I can with me. It was seriously 5 days of absolute paradise. If any of the resort staff read this. Tell everyone that Vanessa and Carlie miss them! We will be back.

Room Tip: There are two sides to the resort. The left side (rooms 100 - 300), and the right side (rooms 400...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bax420
Rockland, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed for one week and I have no complaints. The staff were amazing! I was very impressed. The food was good and the rooms are very clean. I found it to be just like the photos. The other guests were also very friendly. If you are looking to relax this is the place for you. I had no issue with bugs. I brought all kind of spray and coils and used nothing. :)

Room Tip: I was nervous about being close to the road and I found it to be quiet. The critters at night were a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mimijscott
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Couples Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,930 reviews

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!