“Wedding Anniversary”

Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Wedding Anniversary”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This has been my 3rd trip to Jamaica and this one has been the worse ever.
Jamaica is definitely a place to visit and all inclusive is the way to go but finding the right hotel is a challenge and that's why when I travel I give everything a chance.
This time I chose to stay for a week at the Sunset at the Palms in Negril (3rd time in Negril by the way)
The staff was SUPER friendly (same for all other hotels), but as far as dining experience, it's VERY bad (I LOVE Jamaican food by the way). So all you get there is a Asian restaurant that only open 3 times during the week (food sucks) and everyday you have the buffet that is worse. By the beach, there is a GRILL restaurant and all they serve is Jerk Chicken, hamburgers and hot dogs.
The room look beautiful with the garden and are clean but don't let the pictures fool you, in most of these rooms the AC make a loud noise, the toilets don't flush too well and the shower doesn't drain.
For the one that LOVE to exercise, the Tennis court looks nice and the GYM is very good.
I love traveling, I've stayed in many, many, many hotels so TRUST ME. this hotel is not a 4 star, I would rate it a 2 1/2 star because you don't get your money's worth.
If you want to go to a nice hotel in Negril, spend a little more and go to either SANDALS or Couple Swept Away (you will have a much better time).

Room Tip: all the rooms are the same, AC is loud and make ALOT of noise. Maybe ask for a room in the 700 but o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Isabelle R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
Sand Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I absolutely LOVED Sunset at the Palms. We were greeted with a cool towel and a refreshing drink, with all details of our trip CORRECT! (this doesn't always happen in other countries!) The air conditioning was a little different... it worked, but didn't keep our room quite as cool as we would've liked it. The little huts you stay in are so neat, one of the main reasons we chose to stay here. So much better than the huge commercial resorts. Would definitely return! Hopefully we're back sooner than later!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank melaniejean13
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Two gals from Canada decided we deserved a vacation.
I actually bought a deal on livingsocial.com for a 5 night stay at Sunset at The Palms. Flights weren't included, but it was an amazing deal. We ended up only paying $990.00 for both of us. So look around for deals before booking. Some other people at the resort got similar deals on Groupon. So they are out there.

Being two ladies with no guys (we got asked "where are your men" many times). We were worried about safety before arriving. As soon as we arrived at the resort all our worries vanished. It was the safest, nicest, cleanest place I've ever stayed.

It seems like it is mainly a couples resort. Other than us there was only one other group that wasn't a couple. 4 cool kids from NYC, who we should have talked to much earlier. The resort is quiet, especially at night. Most people are in bed after dinner. So make friends with the locals and go to a beach party. Karaoke night is the liveliest of the nights... don't miss it.

The staff was AMAZING!. Special shout outs to ELVIS (an amazing singer, and an amazing chef... TIP - Try the soup every night) Leonardo... the best barrista outside of Starbucks. He has a photographic memory, and new the name of every single guest! O'Neal, brings you to your room and is the perfect way to introduce you to the hotel. And last but certainly not least my friend "Teacher" the best lifeguard ever. Not because he had to save any lives, but because he was nice, fun, and was always excited to see us.

The rooms were amazing. In the rainy season you get a little bit of afternoon rain (and by that I mean a deluge between 2 - 4 daily) While all the couples were indulging in audible "Afternoon delight", we would hang out on our balcony, listen to music and "chillax". We really felt like we had our own little house. The beds are firm but comfy. The maids do an amazing job. There are no doors on the bathroom.

The beach was BEAUTIFUL! It is across from the resort, but it really doesn't matter. Go see the sunset every night. It is always different, and the beach has a different kind of calm at that time. (less vendors)

Food is good... you get a little sick of buffet food. But it was all good, and they had plenty of fresh fruit and veg. But seriously just eat the Jerk each night... chicken, goat, pork... whatever the protein eat the JERK. Also get the nachos at the beach bar.

TIPS.
Vendors - Be nice to them and they will be nice to you. They are just people trying to make some money. On the first day I kept telling them "maybe tomorrow", "maybe later in the week" DON'T FOLLOW MY LEAD. If you aren't going to go on a Jetski, don't make empty promises. Just say no thanks, respect.
If you don't want to buy ganga tell them you don't smoke. They will leave you alone. If you do go wild. (some people are scared by reading too much before travelling - I was one of them) it is culturally accepted on a broad level. There is so much of it, that the idea of getting arrested is comical after being there. It is part of why people go to Jamaica, so enjoy it.

Go off the resort!
The people of Jamaica are poor but amazing. Their philosophy on life is addictive. "One Love" isn't just a song it is a way of life. Talk to everyone, they genuinely like tourists and are thankful to have you on their island.

If you can afford to take a trip like this you can afford to thank the people for making it amazing.
TIP THEM! Don't be a cheapo thinking that tips are included. Most resort staff make only $50/wk. They rely on tipping to feed their families.

Also if you go bring some school supplies which are in very short supply on the island. Give them to the staff or anyone you meet and they will be very grateful.

I'm already planning a return trip. I'm going to bring as many people as I can with me. It was seriously 5 days of absolute paradise. If any of the resort staff read this. Tell everyone that Vanessa and Carlie miss them! We will be back.

Room Tip: There are two sides to the resort. The left side (rooms 100 - 300), and the right side (rooms 400...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bax420
Rockland, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed for one week and I have no complaints. The staff were amazing! I was very impressed. The food was good and the rooms are very clean. I found it to be just like the photos. The other guests were also very friendly. If you are looking to relax this is the place for you. I had no issue with bugs. I brought all kind of spray and coils and used nothing. :)

Room Tip: I was nervous about being close to the road and I found it to be quiet. The critters at night were a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mimijscott
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Sunset at the Palms was a perfect relaxing get away with excellent food, great accommodations and an out of this world staff. The staff is what truly made this place so special... shout out to Paul from the waitstaff he was a true pleasure. The drinks were strong and tasty, the beach was phenomenal, the rooms were comfortable and stylish. Thankfully this is not a mega-resort so if that is your wish look elsewhere but if you're looking for a romantic getaway that is simple and special...this is it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amiesavage
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed 5 nights at SATP in late September, we purchased our stay through Groupon so the value was great. The resort is very beautiful and we loved the well manicured and zen-like grounds. The rooms are amazing and very private. The beach was amazing and crossing the road was no hassle at all, I actually enjoyed the short walk.
The only slight negatives we had were the food and the entertainment. We are in our mid 20's and not at all what you'd call party animals, but by 1030pm the resort is a ghost town. We did meet a few other couples that we hung out with by the pool bar until midnight or so each night so that made it nice, but if not for that the nights would have been pretty boring. My advice would be to either travel with a group or to just be social and try to meet others to hang out with at night.

The food was pretty good, but it did get kinda old after about 4 days of the buffet and especially the greasy beach bar food.The reservation restaurant didn't impress much but was a nice opportunity to dress up for an evening. More choices to eat or a different and maybe more American (steaks, etc) menu at the reservation restaurant would have made it perfect.

Tips:
Bring bug spray, my gf got eaten alive at night in the pool bar area.

We used Pryce taxis for the trip from montego and back. $40 roundtrip per person and very good driver

This was our first trip to Jamaica and we absolutely loved it. In my mind SATP is the only place I'd stay in Negril, we weren't impressed with the looks of any of the other resorts nearby. Loved our stay, perfect vacation.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank varn12
Whitefish, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We went as part of a wedding and found this hotel excellent. Very clean, friendly staff and food was good. Would go back again. The rooms were very unique being off the ground and the beach was fantastic even though across the road from the resort (staff on hand always to help cross the road)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 20hammy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,179 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!