“Wonderful staff , beautifully kept grounds”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Essex, United Kingdom
“Wonderful staff , beautifully kept grounds”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We had a fortnight here with our teenage sons. It was a 9 hour flight from Gatwick but no transfers with Virgin and their Premium upgrade is very good . Montego Bay airport seemed to have trouble dealing with the arrival of a 747 of passengers but eventually we were on our way with a private transfer. A very knowledge driver made the transfer , more of a sight seeing trip. At the resort we were given a fruit drink and warm face cloth on arrival and then taken to our tree houses. A clarification here , they take a credit/debit card details for any charges. If you loose your bracelet, towel key or room key or the safe key you will be charged . The rooms were clean and cool but they had given us two doubles rather than a double and twin , a well used camp bed was quickly sourced. Good linen and towels are provided and changed regularly.
The tree houses are about 8 foot up , they have openings along the sides with fine mesh on, no glass, and wooden shutters inside that close pretty well. Onto the balcony are glass windows and doors. However the fit of these and the entry door is such that insects and small lizards can get easily in. Please take bug spray and plug in insect repellent. As mentioned you feel like your in a tropical forest which becomes very loud at night. As for being away from the road , the resort follows the road , so if you are one of the last tree houses you get the music from he next resort.
Food is taken at a Buffett in the main building group for Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Though there is a very good beach grill which serves from 12 ish until 4 and some nights the al a carte restaurant is open which offers a better quality of food but the portions are more akin to a taster menu. Of a night time you are expected to follow a dress code , no vest tops, shame they don't enforce the "no smoking" code .
The Buffett for breakfast was broadly similar , lunchtime there would be variation but the made to order toasted sandwiches are good and the evening meals have a loose theme of meals around the world Jamaican style. The benefit of a buffet is you can try a small portion to see what you think. The table waiting staff are generally friendly, some so much more. One chap would see us getting a table and when we got back with our food would have got our usual drink order and before our glasses were empty would bring fresh. Most of the staff here are so friendly , they are not hawking for tips , just lovely people. The reception staff also gained my thanks for sorting out some problems with excursions booked from home. This leads to a suggestion that if you are staying a while you will want to get away from Negril as there is nothing local. You can book excursions from in resort or there are a regular gang of taxi drivers outside the gate who will look after you. Of an evening there are regular nightly events , mostly round the pool. Speaking of the pool you can swim to late and still get drinks at the pool side bar.
As mentioned before the grounds are beautiful and "Shorty" and his crew work hard to keep them that way. The beach is constantly being kept clean , the water is so clear and even when the resort was full the size of the beach is such that you don't feel crowded. You will be approached to hire jet boats and an ever colourful array of beach wanderers wanting to sell to you. A quick wave , or no thanks and that's it.
The niggles. Going in August meant 70%of our afternoons were tropical thunderstorms. Nicely cooling but you get wet going between Tree house and central buildings. The tree houses and toilets around the resort are a little "tired" . Our room had screw holes where things were missing. The a/c was on its last legs. However the warmth of the staff and beauty of this location make these minor moans. For a quiet couples getaway this is recommended.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank F2Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Addison, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Thank you Mrs. Williams, I had a blast during my wedding/honeymoon between 8/22-8/29. Great rooms, great food at the beach. Mrs. Opal!! Bring bug spray it was bar b q sauce to the Mosquitos. Big ups to Garry the cab driver in front of the palms. We will be back next year.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Nightowlspromotions
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Sunset last October as a quick vaca before he was to be deployed over seas. We found a great deal for the all inclusive stay on livingsocial.com (since then I have seen similar deals for this resort now and then. The resort was beautiful! What made the trip was the beautiful bungalow rooms. It's not laid out as a traditional hotel with elevators taking you up several floors to reach your room. You just walk thru the gorgeous gardens and up a few stairs to enter you own bungalow. We had the room with a large terrace and day bed outside our room. Jamaica was so beautiful and we enjoyed going into town several nights to eat some local food. There was a seafood shack on the cliffs that was delicious and offered an amazing view! I would highly recommend this hotel for a couple that is not bringing kids, because it's not like larger resorts with large pools, water slides, etc... But it was perfect for my husband and I and we bought a great package! Will go back after I travel the rest of the world!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank ea_reece514
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I just want to start off by saying, we didn't get a chance to stay at this resort. My story comes from the lack of customer service and how our situation was handled in planning and booking our trip.

My fiance and I had picked this resort for our destination wedding. We had our wedding day booked with the wedding coordinator there and had put down our down payment for the trip and the wedding itself. Our wedding date was booked for April of 2014. Now if anyone has ever planned a destination wedding you know the steps that one has to go through. We had already sent out our invitations and had people already sending in their deposits. I'm not even sure how we got the news, but we found out well after we had booked the wedding that the resort was moving to an Adults Only resort. This wouldn't have been a huge deal, but we have 2 wedding party members that would have their 10 month old a 22 month old children with them.

We had contacted the resort to explain the situation and they had told us there was nothing they could do. They said there was "no exceptions." Not only were we not told when we were booking the wedding, the website had nothing listed on it stating it was an Adults only resort, the pricing that we were given had a price for children on it as well. We spent months researching resorts, picking this specific one for our special day. We had invested many hours drawing up the invitations and sending them out to our family and friends.

We then tried to move up the ladder to corporate head office. We received no response from the VP of Sales after trying to communicate our situation to him. We only received an email response from some regional sales rep apologizing for the inconvenience.

Honestly, at this point, the only thing I want is for someone to acknowledge that there was a lack of communication, a mistake was made and a gesture of good will was given. As of this writing we have over 30 people going and this resort has just lost our business because they didn't try to help the customer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Kureegu
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This resort was amazing. When I first arrived to this resort I was a little worried because it was small and quiet but it was perfect and more personal then what im used to living here in New York. The staff was great they all knew who you were and were always catering to their guests needs. Some of my favorites emoployees who made our stay amazing were Rory who was the food and beverage supervisor and great entertainment performer, Leonardo who is a trainee at the moment but is a great person, he is so sweet and is definietly in the right feild and also alvan and Elvis were great. This resort at the moment is opened to families but soon it will be only for adults which is good because thats sort of the feel of this resort anyway. I also heard that they were expanding which is always a good thing. This resort is in a great location with easy access to all attractions and their private beach was right across the street. It was a very relaxing vacation I highly reccomand it to Jamcia visitors especially couples. The food, people, location and service is so amazing and thats the most important thing to take into consideration while planning any vacation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Taryn C
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week this past August and had a great time. The weather was absolutely beautiful. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Nightly entertainment in a relaxed setting. the grounds were beautiful and well maintained/clean. Be sure to bring your bug spray!!! I read previous reviews about the street noise, so we requested a room in the back away from the street and we had no issues with noise (other than nature) We stayed in 411.

Room Tip: Prior to our trip we read recommendations about street noise so we requested a room in the back away...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fransilly
Cincinnati
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I took a last minute, solo trip for 4 nights to the Sunset at The Palms (SATP) as a quick getaway to relax and do nothing more than sit on the beach, sit by the pool, and have a few drinks over Labor Day weekend (US). The rooms are very cool, I loved the grounds and the private porch on the unit. I really liked the fact that it's a small resort with only 65 units, this is not a sprawling, megaresort...which is just what I was looking for. The frogs/crickets, etc. at night are very loud as others noted, but I enjoyed the sound and slept better while I was at SATP than I have in many months. The staff are all attentive and friendly...this was my first time to Jamaica, so it took a little adjusting to get used to the casual/familiar attitude. The food was pretty good, but not great, I enjoyed the breakfast every day and the rib night (Friday, I think) was the best dinner, by far. The drinks aren't bad, but nothing spectacular. The beach is OK, I didn't mind the walk across the road, but I did mind that it wasn't as private or quiet as I had expected. I went there to relax, but it seemed like someone was always trying to sell me something or even SATP staff just trying to "make sure everything is good" but I didn't want to talk to anyone...and I couldn't avoid it. The best times at the beach are from 7am-10am when there isn't any music playing at the resort bar and there are very few people out there in general, especially no vendors or roaming musicians. I eventually gave up on walking the beach beyond the SATP area, because the vendors were relentless (albeit very friendly) for selling jet ski rides, parasailing, snorkeling, marijuana, cocaine, mushrooms...etc. etc. As I understand, this is just par for the course in Jamaica...so maybe my complaint is more about Jamaica and less about SATP. This trip served it's purpose and SATP was a very affordable getaway for a long weekend; but I'm not dying to go back to go back any time soon.

A few other notes: as this is an all-inclusive, the resort book in the room makes a note that tipping isn't necessary, but I often saw guests giving tips to staff members, and I tipped several times as well when it seemed someone went above and beyond. I've heard of some resorts having strict policies that the staff cannot accept tips, but no one ever refused a tip at SATP...so it started to feel like maybe tips were expected...so I tipped more than I planned to. I did have one staff member, on my last day, (one of the guys who helps you cross the street to the beach, Bobby, I think) ask me directly if I could help him out with 10-20 USD to "help him pay for cab fare to go see his daughter before her first day of school" the next day...this was pretty irritating and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: I had 701, it was nice and relatively private. I had a mosquito net over my bed, which I don't...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank L B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Couples Negril
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!