“Absolute romance and bliss!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset at the Palms

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Absolute romance and bliss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I (late 20s) stayed at Sunset at the Palms from December 6-13. WOW!!! Sunset at the Palms is absolute zen! The entire atmosphere of the resort is laid-back, chill, and intimate. The food is excellent - buffet option for every meal as well as a la carte, if you choose. The treetop rooms are so unique, private, cleaned daily, and quite nice. Our treehouse was away from the road but we could sometimes hear the traffic - no concern for us, drink enough at the intimate piano bar and you won't wake up from any of the traffic :)

Our only concern was no food was available past 10:30 pm....so if you're up late, you're out of luck with food options!

Overall, a wonderful time - this is definitely a 5-star resort at a 3-star price! My husband and I are already planning our return trip next year! :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Karen C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

this is the most beautiful resort I have ever been too. The food is amazing, the drinks are delicious and the staff is memorable. We have been 3 times and cant wait to go back. nothing compares to this resort the rooms are tranquil and thr grounds are impeccable.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

On return from our holiday at Sunset at the Palms we read many reviews from American holiday makers that in the main did not reflect our experiences. Firstly, Jamaica is noisy in many different ways. On our arrival at about 9 pm, I genuinely thought the noise of the insects and frogs was piped through a sound system!! It was deafening and rather weird. However after a few nights we hardly noticed it. Though one night another couple were confronted with a pair of mating Geckos screeching on their ceiling!

We too were close to the infamous noisy road and yes it was noisy at times and it could be heard all over the property. We considered asking for a move but didn't, as we had settled in so well. Did appreciate a motorbike doing the 'ton' every morning at 7 am that woke me up (and everyone else I would guess) for breakfast.

Jamaicans love their music and everywhere you go they randomly turn up the volume, which by the end of the holiday I found very refreshing. At 10.30 am by the pool, when nursing a hangover, this can be slightly annoying and once we asked the staff to turn it down and they did straight away.

Staff were very good but you get the underlying feeling they are always fishing for tips. The Americans deal with this much better than us Brits of course, and we did regularly tip during our stay.

The beach was great and I loved the temperature of the sea, could stay in all day. The bar staff gave me strange looks when I asked for water, while everyone else was knocking back cocktails in the afternoon. Food was also good at the grill, forget the lady's name who runs it but she certainly did a grand job.

If I was to have a moan about anything it would be about the food. Always presentable, but nothing really 'tasty'. I am not a professional caterer but my advice to the management would be to offer less choice (there is loads) and concentrate on the quality. On saying that I ate everything and went back for seconds!

The rooms were 'functional' and I can understand how some people, mainly Americans, might be disappointed if they are used to 5*. We weren't though and found the rooms had everything we needed and were kept spotlessly clean. Particularly liked the bed outside on the verandah, surrounded by the gorgeous trees and plants.

A lot of Americans go to Sunset the same way we may use the South of Spain. There seemed to be large groups of friends holidaying at the resort for 3-7 days, and at times they did get a bit rowdy, but hey, that's probably why they went to Jamaica! Seeing them drinking large cocktails from their large flasks in the pool, while smoking at the same time, was amusing!

To end, I would definitely recommend Sunset at the Palms; the grounds, staff and nearby beach are amazing. I would describe Jamaica as 'lively' (not loud) and perhaps would not recommend it if you are expecting a quiet, romantic holiday for two!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GBGTM
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We just returned from Sunset at the Palms yesterday and I wanted to write a review quickly while I remembered everything! I traveled with my husband to celebrate our seventh wedding anniversary.

Rooms - We stayed near the infamous ROAD. I was pretty apprehensive about this per all the bad reviews. Honestly, the first night we were so exhausted, it didn't bother us too much. After that, I'm not sure if we could have moved if we wanted to, as the resort was booked up. My husband is a light sleeper, and I can be easily bothered in a new environment, but we were fine and had a great time despite it. The bungalows/duplexes/etc. were nestled in with the trees, and the look of the room followed that rustic tone. However, it had everything we needed. The one thing that I didn't like was that the bathroom door was little more than a wooden screen. I'm not sure about everyone else, but my husband I like to keep some private things private! There is a nice balcony if someone needs to be sent outside. :)

Food - Overall, we ate very well. The grill on the beach side is SOOOO GOOOD. Be sure to have the red snapper, chicken salad, and jerk chicken. We were never disappointed there. The buffet does have a nice variety and I was also happy I got to try some new things along with familiar fare. The a la carte restaurant was somewhat disappointing. We felt very rushed and weren't impressed with what we ate. Plus, it is SO dark you cannot easily see what you're eating.

Drinks - Awesome. Period. Kemp is the best bartender there. Kerry is great as well! They are highly trained and drinks were on par with the pricey Sandals resort that we had stayed at on a previous trip. We'd often ask for a "bartender's special" or "something not to sweet", "something blue", and they delivered something great each time.

Beach/Pool - The pool is small, which was a huge turnoff to me at first. However, it is plenty big for this smaller resort. Further, the size gave for a more friendly mood, which led us to meet some great people who are now our Facebook friends! The beach is very nice, with plenty of loungers to go around. Yes, there are some vendors. The people who were infuriated by them are the scumbags, not the people trying to make a living. A polite "No, thank you" was all they needed.

We really enjoyed our time at Sunset at the Palms and would certainly recommend it. It was so relaxing and the people who work there will do anything they can to make your stay the best it can be. Housekeeping even comes around at night to turn down your bed and give you fresh ice, or whatever you need. I would say to bring bug spray. We didn't have a huge problem, but did leave with a few bug bites. They sell it at the gift shop, but you'll pay.

Tipping is not expected, but appreciated if you feel someone went above & beyond. We came to Jamaica with about $120 in singles and fives and I'm glad we did. Between the airport and the resort, we spent a good chunk of it.

Everyone we met really liked staying there. It's a unique experience (in a good way), not to stay in a huge hotel-like mega resort.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

This strange 5 night trip started out with us being moved to the Riu Negril for 3 nights. This was nice because the food at the Riu was outstanding. The facilities there are also very good but more of a party atmosphere vs the sunset palms depending on what you're looking for. After 2 nights at the Riu we were moved back to the Palms which was big hassle and really didn't allow us to get settled or plan any excursions on day 3. The hotel itself is a beautiful oasis. Lovely common area and pool. We moved into a treehouse style room which was very nice. Unfortunately there was only about 5 min of hot water and the A/C didn't work properly. The food was ok. I'd say somewhere around the level of cruise ship food with far far less variety. There is a walk to the beach but the grill there is good. Which brings me to the somewhat racist comments we rec'd at various times throughout the week. I won't go into too much detail but being referred to as a 'China'or 'chinaman'by wait staff isn't acceptable to me. It was honestly shocking to hear that coming from a black man. Other than that it was a pretty nice place. I've been on many cruises, to many resorts and all over the carribbean. Because of a few unfortunate things I have a sour taste for this place and probably Jamaica as a whole.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank kaizen88
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We got married in March and went directly to the Sunset at the Palms resort in Negril. We flew into Montego Bay and booked with Rocky's Tours to get us from the airport to the resort. The driver was awesome! He stopped and got us a red stripe and then told us all about his hometown of Lucea. We also booked another trip with Rocky's tours to do the Dunn's River Falls and Paradise Cove. My wife swam with the dolphins and Dunn's River is well worth it even though it a 3 hour drive away (Ochos Rios). Make sure you take a guided trip up the falls and then explore it yourself at least one time without the guide. Just be careful!

Sunset at the Palms was very clean and had an amazing staff. They have food out at nearly all times and the buffet was actually very good. We dined at the reservation only restaurant once but we actually just enjoyed getting a plate (or two) of food from the buffet most days and sitting and enjoying each other. The beach bar and grill jerk chicken was awesome and they have burgers and fries as well if you want something easy. The beach bar attendants weren't always super friendly but they made you anything you wanted. They seemed bored at times. The pool bar attendants were always a little more lively.

The hotel is located on the jungle side of the road on extremely well-manicured grounds with a full sized gym and tennis courts. They offer massages, nightly musical entertainment, and the coffee bar was open from 6am to 9pm or so. Lattes and cappuccinos anytime was amazing. The pool had a swim up bar but it was actually pretty cold to swim in so we didn't do that often. We met an awesome family from London and enjoyed chatting with the ex-rugby playing dad.

Take advantage of the snorkeling, sailboats, and make sure to get up early to head out to the beach (just outside the main gate you walk across the road and you have a beautiful walk maybe 1/4 mile to the beach). We found that it was beautiful in the morning but would oftentimes get overcast in the afternoon. Rick's Cafe was fun for a sunset cruise but the hotels in the area didn't look as nice as the resorts on 7 mile beach and bloody bay.

We asked for a treetop room away from the street and we were given one just passed the buffet area. They spray for bugs at 5pm or so every night but you can still get bit if you don't wear bug spray. Stay under the fans in the bar or dining areas or inside. The room was beautiful and very cozy. The shower had multiple jets and we only experienced poor water pressure once. We didn't see any cockroaches at all and everything was kept very clean. The safe was nice to have in the room and the wrap around deck was very private.

We loved every minute of our honeymoon and the staff and management of the resort was amazingly accommodating. We would definitely go back to Sunset at the Palms. Ya Mon!

Room Tip: request a room away from the road
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Woody B
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband & I spent our honeymoon at Sunset at the Palms last year & couldn’t wait to return again this year to celebrate our first anniversary. From the moment we turned into the front gate it was like coming home again. There were many staff members who remembered us & welcomed us back with warm smiles. The grounds & rooms were every bit as beautiful as we remembered. The very first thing we did was to change & head to the beach to renew our acquaintance with Opal & her fabulous cooking at the beach grill (she makes the best jerk chicken & grilled snapper you have ever tasted!!). During one conversation with her, my husband discovered that she shares our last name, therefore we promptly adopted her as our Jamaican cousin. Maybe now she’ll share her jerk chicken recipe with us!

We never ate at the a la carte restaurant, however the food at the buffet restaurant is excellent, there is always a good selection of dishes to satisfy every taste. The banana bread at breakfast is amazing, we frequently took a couple of slices to the beach with us for a mid-morning snack. The meals overall are a good mix of North American style food for the less adventurous & also Jamaican style cooking, which in my opinion is the best.

If you need a taxi driver, look for Randy (aka John Wayne Tours). He is generally parked out front of the hotel when he’s free or you can call him at 876-390-8156. He is a great guy & will take you wherever you want to go. He is very knowledgeable about the history & culture of Jamaica. He can also suggest some destinations that are smaller & more genuinely Jamaican than the larger, more commercialized tourist attractions.

Unfortunately I injured my back three days into our two week vacation. Within a day or two every staff member, from the groundskeepers & maintenance staff to the general manager, had heard of our predicament & went out of their way to do whatever they could to help us out. Many thanks to Lorna (First Aid) for arranging for me to see a doctor, Leonardo in the dining room for helping my husband carry meals to the room for me for the first few days when I was in too much pain to leave the room, also to Claudette in the dining room who always tried to get us a table close to the entrance so that I didn’t have to walk too far, to Teacher (lifeguard at the beach) for making me a traditional Jamaican home remedy for back pain & to all the others who constantly asked how I was feeling & offered any assistance they could. If I have missed any names I apologize, but you were all great to us & we truly did appreciate all of your help & kind words. Thanks too to the hotel for providing a wheelchair so that my husband could push me down the beach daily. While this did not turn out to be quite the romantic anniversary trip we had anticipated, it was a great relief to have so many people helping us out in any way they could.

We will definitely return to Sunset at the Palms again, I can’t think of a better, friendly place to spend a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask for one away from the road & the restaurant. We stayed in the 700 block...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Couples Negril
#10 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,101 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!