“Had a lovely time! Miss it already!”

Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Toledo, Ohio
“Had a lovely time! Miss it already!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We just returned from Sunset at the Palms yesterday and I wanted to write a review quickly while I remembered everything! I traveled with my husband to celebrate our seventh wedding anniversary.

Rooms - We stayed near the infamous ROAD. I was pretty apprehensive about this per all the bad reviews. Honestly, the first night we were so exhausted, it didn't bother us too much. After that, I'm not sure if we could have moved if we wanted to, as the resort was booked up. My husband is a light sleeper, and I can be easily bothered in a new environment, but we were fine and had a great time despite it. The bungalows/duplexes/etc. were nestled in with the trees, and the look of the room followed that rustic tone. However, it had everything we needed. The one thing that I didn't like was that the bathroom door was little more than a wooden screen. I'm not sure about everyone else, but my husband I like to keep some private things private! There is a nice balcony if someone needs to be sent outside. :)

Food - Overall, we ate very well. The grill on the beach side is SOOOO GOOOD. Be sure to have the red snapper, chicken salad, and jerk chicken. We were never disappointed there. The buffet does have a nice variety and I was also happy I got to try some new things along with familiar fare. The a la carte restaurant was somewhat disappointing. We felt very rushed and weren't impressed with what we ate. Plus, it is SO dark you cannot easily see what you're eating.

Drinks - Awesome. Period. Kemp is the best bartender there. Kerry is great as well! They are highly trained and drinks were on par with the pricey Sandals resort that we had stayed at on a previous trip. We'd often ask for a "bartender's special" or "something not to sweet", "something blue", and they delivered something great each time.

Beach/Pool - The pool is small, which was a huge turnoff to me at first. However, it is plenty big for this smaller resort. Further, the size gave for a more friendly mood, which led us to meet some great people who are now our Facebook friends! The beach is very nice, with plenty of loungers to go around. Yes, there are some vendors. The people who were infuriated by them are the scumbags, not the people trying to make a living. A polite "No, thank you" was all they needed.

We really enjoyed our time at Sunset at the Palms and would certainly recommend it. It was so relaxing and the people who work there will do anything they can to make your stay the best it can be. Housekeeping even comes around at night to turn down your bed and give you fresh ice, or whatever you need. I would say to bring bug spray. We didn't have a huge problem, but did leave with a few bug bites. They sell it at the gift shop, but you'll pay.

Tipping is not expected, but appreciated if you feel someone went above & beyond. We came to Jamaica with about $120 in singles and fives and I'm glad we did. Between the airport and the resort, we spent a good chunk of it.

Everyone we met really liked staying there. It's a unique experience (in a good way), not to stay in a huge hotel-like mega resort.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

This strange 5 night trip started out with us being moved to the Riu Negril for 3 nights. This was nice because the food at the Riu was outstanding. The facilities there are also very good but more of a party atmosphere vs the sunset palms depending on what you're looking for. After 2 nights at the Riu we were moved back to the Palms which was big hassle and really didn't allow us to get settled or plan any excursions on day 3. The hotel itself is a beautiful oasis. Lovely common area and pool. We moved into a treehouse style room which was very nice. Unfortunately there was only about 5 min of hot water and the A/C didn't work properly. The food was ok. I'd say somewhere around the level of cruise ship food with far far less variety. There is a walk to the beach but the grill there is good. Which brings me to the somewhat racist comments we rec'd at various times throughout the week. I won't go into too much detail but being referred to as a 'China'or 'chinaman'by wait staff isn't acceptable to me. It was honestly shocking to hear that coming from a black man. Other than that it was a pretty nice place. I've been on many cruises, to many resorts and all over the carribbean. Because of a few unfortunate things I have a sour taste for this place and probably Jamaica as a whole.

• Stayed June 2013
13 Thank kaizen88
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We got married in March and went directly to the Sunset at the Palms resort in Negril. We flew into Montego Bay and booked with Rocky's Tours to get us from the airport to the resort. The driver was awesome! He stopped and got us a red stripe and then told us all about his hometown of Lucea. We also booked another trip with Rocky's tours to do the Dunn's River Falls and Paradise Cove. My wife swam with the dolphins and Dunn's River is well worth it even though it a 3 hour drive away (Ochos Rios). Make sure you take a guided trip up the falls and then explore it yourself at least one time without the guide. Just be careful!

Sunset at the Palms was very clean and had an amazing staff. They have food out at nearly all times and the buffet was actually very good. We dined at the reservation only restaurant once but we actually just enjoyed getting a plate (or two) of food from the buffet most days and sitting and enjoying each other. The beach bar and grill jerk chicken was awesome and they have burgers and fries as well if you want something easy. The beach bar attendants weren't always super friendly but they made you anything you wanted. They seemed bored at times. The pool bar attendants were always a little more lively.

The hotel is located on the jungle side of the road on extremely well-manicured grounds with a full sized gym and tennis courts. They offer massages, nightly musical entertainment, and the coffee bar was open from 6am to 9pm or so. Lattes and cappuccinos anytime was amazing. The pool had a swim up bar but it was actually pretty cold to swim in so we didn't do that often. We met an awesome family from London and enjoyed chatting with the ex-rugby playing dad.

Take advantage of the snorkeling, sailboats, and make sure to get up early to head out to the beach (just outside the main gate you walk across the road and you have a beautiful walk maybe 1/4 mile to the beach). We found that it was beautiful in the morning but would oftentimes get overcast in the afternoon. Rick's Cafe was fun for a sunset cruise but the hotels in the area didn't look as nice as the resorts on 7 mile beach and bloody bay.

We asked for a treetop room away from the street and we were given one just passed the buffet area. They spray for bugs at 5pm or so every night but you can still get bit if you don't wear bug spray. Stay under the fans in the bar or dining areas or inside. The room was beautiful and very cozy. The shower had multiple jets and we only experienced poor water pressure once. We didn't see any cockroaches at all and everything was kept very clean. The safe was nice to have in the room and the wrap around deck was very private.

We loved every minute of our honeymoon and the staff and management of the resort was amazingly accommodating. We would definitely go back to Sunset at the Palms. Ya Mon!

Room Tip: request a room away from the road
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Woody B
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband & I spent our honeymoon at Sunset at the Palms last year & couldn’t wait to return again this year to celebrate our first anniversary. From the moment we turned into the front gate it was like coming home again. There were many staff members who remembered us & welcomed us back with warm smiles. The grounds & rooms were every bit as beautiful as we remembered. The very first thing we did was to change & head to the beach to renew our acquaintance with Opal & her fabulous cooking at the beach grill (she makes the best jerk chicken & grilled snapper you have ever tasted!!). During one conversation with her, my husband discovered that she shares our last name, therefore we promptly adopted her as our Jamaican cousin. Maybe now she’ll share her jerk chicken recipe with us!

We never ate at the a la carte restaurant, however the food at the buffet restaurant is excellent, there is always a good selection of dishes to satisfy every taste. The banana bread at breakfast is amazing, we frequently took a couple of slices to the beach with us for a mid-morning snack. The meals overall are a good mix of North American style food for the less adventurous & also Jamaican style cooking, which in my opinion is the best.

If you need a taxi driver, look for Randy (aka John Wayne Tours). He is generally parked out front of the hotel when he’s free or you can call him at 876-390-8156. He is a great guy & will take you wherever you want to go. He is very knowledgeable about the history & culture of Jamaica. He can also suggest some destinations that are smaller & more genuinely Jamaican than the larger, more commercialized tourist attractions.

Unfortunately I injured my back three days into our two week vacation. Within a day or two every staff member, from the groundskeepers & maintenance staff to the general manager, had heard of our predicament & went out of their way to do whatever they could to help us out. Many thanks to Lorna (First Aid) for arranging for me to see a doctor, Leonardo in the dining room for helping my husband carry meals to the room for me for the first few days when I was in too much pain to leave the room, also to Claudette in the dining room who always tried to get us a table close to the entrance so that I didn’t have to walk too far, to Teacher (lifeguard at the beach) for making me a traditional Jamaican home remedy for back pain & to all the others who constantly asked how I was feeling & offered any assistance they could. If I have missed any names I apologize, but you were all great to us & we truly did appreciate all of your help & kind words. Thanks too to the hotel for providing a wheelchair so that my husband could push me down the beach daily. While this did not turn out to be quite the romantic anniversary trip we had anticipated, it was a great relief to have so many people helping us out in any way they could.

We will definitely return to Sunset at the Palms again, I can’t think of a better, friendly place to spend a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask for one away from the road & the restaurant. We stayed in the 700 block...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa R
Merrillville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

me and my boyfriend read the reviews about bugs and were skeptical about booking but we bought the best Off with deet available and even brought a pest chalk stick to line the door and shower for the other creepy crawly pests. didnt see any roaches on our trip thank god i wouldve freaked out...but omg let me just say the bad about the mosquitos first..i dont want to deter you, some people said avon skin so soft worked, we didnt have any, we also bought a pen stick and cortisone cream at the shop (i rec bringing extra off, sunscreen, and a anti itch cream for after you get attacked by mosquitos). its like 8 bucks there.

AM: if you are a light sleeper you will probably have trouble falling asleep bc of all the rainforest like sounds, its cool but we woke up at 3am and 6 am everyday usually we get up about 8. in the am its pretty mosquito free still some lurking from the night before, we basically avoided the nightlife after day 3 which sucks because after dark you get eaten up so much.
and the bites drive you nuts while your trying to sleep. also our room was set way in the back 709 and our room didnt get cleaned until dusk we were trying all efforts to keep mosq. out and walk up to find the housekeeper cleaning with the door open ac on, and this was after we sprayed the room ourselves and asked them to spray bc there were so many mosquitos in there. they say they fog the property each night 5-6:30 pm we never seen it happen once in our 7 nights. sleeping with the mosquito net was very annoying and they still get you, bc you shift while you sleep and we were up against the net. im still battling the bug bites now. also watch your wifes and men, some of the staff are creepy and will either look at your man all kinda weird/mean slashed pissed off or some of the beverage manager esp. the young light skinned one is such a creep.he'll try and get in good with the guys and lurk towards your woman..beware
good stuff: :)
the food! omg its amazing everynight we found something to love, whether it was jerk chicken at lunch on the beach, try a dirty banana!, soups are amazing, mango, papaya, fruits are amazing, omlet station looked foward to it every am, orange juice is really tasty, water is actually really good, im so used to mexico where you cannot drink it. desserts were hit or miss, the mango cheescake, banana bread were good, all the breads were good. bottom line food is flavored and amazing.
room, shower is nice and up to date, pretty clean over all for what you need, ask for a fridge
you can get refills on your water-just ask the bar
porch is really pretty and nice i wish we wouldve gotten to lie out there during the night but again mosquito alley, during the day was pretty
the rain, welcome it! its always amazing hearing their thunderstorms vs ours in the states lol way different
good sleep or ....
pool is nice also a hot tub which we went to during the rain,not storming
ricks cafe is cool and dangerous getting off the boat i rec taking a cab, a woman almost fell overboard
the resort i feel looks wise is definitely the best i walked the beach and looked at the others they were so overrated price wise online i was glad we spent our money at palms. the walk across to the beach is nice and about the same at big resorts
they had some music at night but no dancing, i love dancing but like i said we pretty much went back to the room after dinner to free ourselves from attacks.
it was nice to either go to the beach or pool we did 2 excursions and that was enough because we really just wanted to relax
the beach is really beautiful and not crowded at all, the people selling all you have to do is tell them no and they are nice and keep going.

i rec doing ys river falls tour, that was cool

Room Tip: ask for mosquito net, we had 709 way to far back but no car noises
2 Thank Christina R
ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Jamaica and I shopped for a resort specifically for somewhere quiet and relaxing. I will add here that I paid pretty much top price because I booked months in advance because I wanted to stay that much. It was not a cheap choice for us.
I loved the treehouse idea and had been to Negril (Grand Pineapple) previously. This resort is what we were looking for. It's on a large piece of property and each treehouse (actually duplex) is on it's own with trees , etc surrounding. We were far from the road and it was very, very quiet at night. I had no issues with the road sounds (more on that later), The rooms were nice, not super fantastic but much like the website. I did not find anything in this property in disrepair. The staff (every single one) was friendly and nice, with a shout-out to the pool bar staff that were exceptional and friendly. I would return for the staff alone. The food was the best I've had in Jamaica. I didn't find anything cheap or chintzy at this resort as I had at some previously (i.e. crappy sheets, towels, etc) so really I had no complaints. It is a very, very quiet resort, though. I would recommend for people looking to chill out, not stay up all night and dance. I met a nice female lawyer travelling alone and she said she felt totally safe by herself at this resort. It could be a fun resort with a group, though. The staff seemed to go with the flow, and I'm sure they would not close shop if there were people ready to stay up. We were up early and in bed early so we missed most of the entertainment. What we did see was decent. There was no fitness instruction/aquatics, which I missed but it was not advertised as having this. The gym was nice and we are runners so felt comfortable running both ways (east and west ) from this resort. The streets are wide enough and we felt safe running in this part of Negril.
The only issue that I had with this resort, and it was resolved quickly and professionally is the last night that we were there (and had an early morning flight) we left all the lights on and the louvered shutters opened and our room was FULL of flying..ants? something weird. We called the front desk and they did not sound shocked but immediately moved us to a clean room near the road (and it was a little noisy- I'd read this in reviews) so that was the ONLY issue we had. Also, the resort is a maze. I got lost every day of 7 trying to find our room. I am a little directionally challenged but all the treehouses and pathways look the same. I wanted to leave a little trail of Jamaican patty crumbs to help me find my room.
Vendors- I have to say this because I've been to Jamaica four times now. The first time I had a major issue with it, but now not at all. I will chat with some of them and say no if I'm not interested. It is how they earn a living. You are free to say no, but some things they sell (homemade breadpudding from a young boy, fresh from the bakery for $1US, amazing!) lobster meal cooked and handed to me on my beach chair, etc... If you're not interested, just be polite and don't be afraid to see what they are selling.
It's a beautiful, quiet resort with genuinely nice staff. Treat them well, they deserve it.

Room Tip: away from the road! and close your louvered shutters when you leave, and lights off.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maryeh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

In Simple words - AMAZING..We stayed there first week in June for 7 nights and it was so sad to leave it..I fell in love with this resort before i even seen it, since we booked our holiday i was here every day reading reviews and looking at the pictures.And then i got to see this paradise for real..
The grounds are stunning, so quiet and private full of beautiful plants and birds..
The Tree house was perfect for us as i am a big lover of nature it made me feel closer with wild life.we stayed at 611 which is not far from the road, but didn't hear a noise..The only thing you can hear at night time is all the noise from wild life outside - and its loud, but never bothered me :)
Food was good and tasty , even my very picky fiancé said he liked it..
And the beach - What a Gorgeous water and soft white sand..so calm and relaxing..We went to The 7 mile beach and had a little walk and it was beautiful, but Bloody Bay is the place where i would stay, as the water more calmer and its more private..
After all it depends what type of holiday you want..we wanted private, quiet and relaxing - we had everything we wished for at this wonderful hotel..
We took a trip to Mayfield Falls, Black river safari / YS Falls, Ricks Cafe, and we got a taxi to Margarita vile at 7 mile beach - loved every trip..
Missing it all so much <3

2 Thank Egle P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,175 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!