We just returned from Sunset at the Palms yesterday and I wanted to write a review quickly while I remembered everything! I traveled with my husband to celebrate our seventh wedding anniversary.
Rooms - We stayed near the infamous ROAD. I was pretty apprehensive about this per all the bad reviews. Honestly, the first night we were so exhausted, it didn't bother us too much. After that, I'm not sure if we could have moved if we wanted to, as the resort was booked up. My husband is a light sleeper, and I can be easily bothered in a new environment, but we were fine and had a great time despite it. The bungalows/duplexes/etc. were nestled in with the trees, and the look of the room followed that rustic tone. However, it had everything we needed. The one thing that I didn't like was that the bathroom door was little more than a wooden screen. I'm not sure about everyone else, but my husband I like to keep some private things private! There is a nice balcony if someone needs to be sent outside. :)
Food - Overall, we ate very well. The grill on the beach side is SOOOO GOOOD. Be sure to have the red snapper, chicken salad, and jerk chicken. We were never disappointed there. The buffet does have a nice variety and I was also happy I got to try some new things along with familiar fare. The a la carte restaurant was somewhat disappointing. We felt very rushed and weren't impressed with what we ate. Plus, it is SO dark you cannot easily see what you're eating.
Drinks - Awesome. Period. Kemp is the best bartender there. Kerry is great as well! They are highly trained and drinks were on par with the pricey Sandals resort that we had stayed at on a previous trip. We'd often ask for a "bartender's special" or "something not to sweet", "something blue", and they delivered something great each time.
Beach/Pool - The pool is small, which was a huge turnoff to me at first. However, it is plenty big for this smaller resort. Further, the size gave for a more friendly mood, which led us to meet some great people who are now our Facebook friends! The beach is very nice, with plenty of loungers to go around. Yes, there are some vendors. The people who were infuriated by them are the scumbags, not the people trying to make a living. A polite "No, thank you" was all they needed.
We really enjoyed our time at Sunset at the Palms and would certainly recommend it. It was so relaxing and the people who work there will do anything they can to make your stay the best it can be. Housekeeping even comes around at night to turn down your bed and give you fresh ice, or whatever you need. I would say to bring bug spray. We didn't have a huge problem, but did leave with a few bug bites. They sell it at the gift shop, but you'll pay.
Tipping is not expected, but appreciated if you feel someone went above & beyond. We came to Jamaica with about $120 in singles and fives and I'm glad we did. Between the airport and the resort, we spent a good chunk of it.
Everyone we met really liked staying there. It's a unique experience (in a good way), not to stay in a huge hotel-like mega resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A great spot for romantics or a destination wedding. Nestled amongst tropical gardens and flowering plants at the edge of Negril, this unique all-inclusive gem is best described as intimate, chic and serene. The resort offers 85 "tree-house-style," elegantly appointed guestrooms on ten-acres of lush landscaping, a design praised by Architectural Digest. Melt away with a soothing spa service in our unique treatment garden, cool off at the swim-up bar with a tropical drink or "chill" at the resort's five beachfront acres and two miles of white sand beach, just steps away. When dining is on the menu, you'll enjoy both international and authentic Jamaican cuisine at four restaurants and bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TravelUp, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sunset at the Palms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset At The Palms Hotel Negril
- Sunset At The Palms Negril
- Sunset Palms Jamaica
- Sunset Palms Negril
- Sunset At The Palms Resort