“A great getaway”

Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Chester, Virginia
“A great getaway”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

A very nice hotel and everyone was very friendly and polite. The hotel setting is that of a rainforest, which give you plenty of privacy and there are not a lot of rooms and the place was never crowded. One thing is that the beach is across a road from the hotel, but that what make it special and you have assistance in crossing the street. We loved this place and have recommended it to our friends and family.

Room Tip: If you book try and get room number 402-511 they set back from the road and swimming pools area. Les...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank herbparrish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Blue Ridge, Georgia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our son just got married here and we spent a week. I can't say enough about the excellent staff. I know it's all inclusive, including tips, but I would suggest that you bring cash (no ATMs nearby) as you will want to tip extra to so many of the staff. The resort is small in comparison to some of the mega-resorts in Negril but in my mind that's a good thing. Very intimate setting, great beach, great food, amazing service. We had 50 people there and everyone was talking about about much they wanted to return. The grill on the beach was has really good jerk chicken, grilled snapper and burgers.

Room Tip: If your room is close to the pool, you may have trouble sleeping as it can stay noisy past midnight...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank miket168_13
Snyder
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I spent our Honeymoon here. I don't know if the resort is making up these great reviews of such a friendly staff but we did not experience this, and yes we are very friendly and tipped but it did not help. We only met 2 friendly people that stood out. Room has cold water for a day, 2 days in a row they would take our towels from our room and not supply us with them. Really felt like when we asked for things the staff was not friendly... The food was below average for an all inclusive and did not have room service, only could get buffet at certain times and one restaurant which was a joke..... The resort, room, and beach, was beautiful but service and food a huge disappointment. We will not be coming back.

4 Thank Lacey D
Epsom, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend have recently got back from our holiday to Jamaica. We spent the first 7 nights in Negril at the Sunset at the Palms. We arrived at the hotel at around 11pm,we were still able to get dinner, which was great after a long day of traveling. We were then shown to our Deluxe treetop room. The room was very big, spotless with a huge bathroom including a shower which was more like a wet room with 6 jets. We had a 40 inch plasma as well as a double balcony and hammock. The view looked out onto the fields behind. It was lovely.
The beach is just over the road and the hotel have their own guard who shows you across, once you are on the beach you have use of hotel sunbeds and a beach bar and grill. The hotel also has sailing boats etc to used, we used these 4 or 5 times a day as my boyfriend loves sailing.
The food in the hotel was lovely, varied nightly and the chefs went to such effort decorating the tables with fruit sculptures and chocolate animals..... the list goes on.
Every single staff member were fantastic, so friendly , bubbly and polite. We did a few tours while here as well which was arranged by the hotel tour operator.
Nightly the hotel had entertainment, live reggae and performers.
Over all this hotel was brilliant, I can only fault one thing........ the gym, it is very basic and so hot, but I doubt many people work out on holiday anyway.
We also went out and about and left the resort, it is not dangerous and the people make you feel very safe and at ease. A must is Ricks Café and Rockhouse restaurant is amazing.
This hotel is great value for money and Negril is beautiful, we much preferred it to Montego Bay, where we spent our second week.
I was also worried about the weather as May is the start of the rainy season, but we had 2 weeks of sunshine starting at 7am though to 7pm. myself and my boyfriend have travelled a lot and Jamaica defiantly Is one of the favourites.

Room Tip: Deluxe treetop is worth the money, I had a look at a normal treetop room and it is much smaller, no...
2 Thank Johanna S
DFW
Reviewed May 23, 2013

First let be start by saying the resort is beautiful. The overall decor and ambiance is very peaceful and intimate. The resort is not particularly large and really seemed to offer a sense of being with a large group of friends.

This is my first vist to an "all inclusive" resort and based on this one trip - I would do more investigation as to what the resort has to offer. In terms of ratings"

Food - Average. There was a lot of variety. Most did not seem to have much flavor. The main dishes seemed to be somewhat thrown together. Lunch service was slow if you wanted something off the grill at the buffet. Desserts were very different in terms of what one might expect. As an example - Cheesecake did not taste like cheesecake. My biggest comment regarding the food -- there was none between meal periods unless you wanted to walk across the street to the beach grill.

Service - Average. Everyone was generally freindly, but there did seem to a lack of "serviced" attitude. One dare not approach the buffet before it was ready. Even if that meant the buffet was late being assembled. The front desk staff was great as was the general housekeeping staff.

Facility - Less than average. Our room was dirty. The shower glass had not been cleaned. The overall property was in good shape and there was often someone sweeping or picking up the grounds.

Coffee - Admittedly. This is one of my two big areas of importance to me. I am an early riser and love to have a cup of coffe first thing. The room offered "instant" coffee - Blah! The coffee bar did not open until 7 and there was no other option to get a cup of coffee.I'm not sure how difficult it is to have a pot of coffee available at all times. One does fine this at a Motel 6 or a Hampton.

WiFi - This is my other big area of importance. In this day in age, I think all properties of any quality should offer free Wifi throughout the property. Understandably, this may not be an important issue to some, but it is one that criteria for choice of where I stay. Here at the Sunset, it is only offered in the main lobby.

I would stay here again, only if I am now familar with the property, But I am just as likely to stay elsewhere that meets more closely with my criteria.

Room Tip: I really enjoyed our room. We were towards the back of the propery and heard little noise from the r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jmsmoll
Wilton, New York
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We loved it! Can't wait to go back for a second stay!! If you want something relaxing and beautiful, this is the place for you. Just remember to request a room away from the road. We met so many people who have stayed there numerous times. Just remember to bring ear plugs. The tree frogs and birds are VERY noisey which distured our sleep a bit.

Room Tip: "Room away from the road" 712 was great!!
2 Thank JonathanandKatie
Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 21, 2013

It's difficult to not be redundant in highlighting all of the many reasons as to why this resort is so special. Beyond the physical beauty of the grounds and the nicely appointed guest rooms, I'd have to say the most compelling attribute for visiting SATP is the couteous and friendly staff who, without exception, have great attitudes and place the highest priority in making its guests feel welcome and comfortable. From the first day of our trip, actually even before it began through communications with the front desk manager, Kadian McPherson, we were extended a graciousness rarely found these days by the entire staff.

The atmosphere is relaxed and perfect for those seeking an alternative to the 24/7 loud and obnoxious scenes at the all-inclusive resorts nearby in Negril. The food was very good, with many options available and a changing dinner theme each evening. The beach bar and grill are also great and staffed with experienced, skillful chefs and bartenders.

We sailed one of the resorts catamarans (a small Hobie), did some snorkeling, went to Rick's Cafe (of course) and Xtabi, rented a moped and explored the area, but, by far, the best activity was the horseback riding within 15 minutes of the resort that not only included riding in the nearby hills and along the beach, but ended with a 'swim' on the back of the horse in deep water (see attached photo)!

We hope to soon return to this beautiful taste of paradise!

Room Tip: Most all of the resort is quiet, with the possible exception of those rooms situated very close to t...
2 Thank JT007409