“Garden of Eden”

Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Circleville
“Garden of Eden”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We are a busy, overworked couple with three children who were looking for a place that felt FAR away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. We found it at SATP. The staff were amazing. No request was too big or small. The food was great for us. Some of it did repeat; however, it was delicious, so I was happy to see it on the buffet a few times. The themes consist of Jamaican night, Caribbean, Asian and a beach buffet and bonfire on Friday night!! Boy, was that a blast!!! The evening entertainment did end around 11, but who am I kidding? After all those amazing cocktails and a full day of sun, I was pooped by 9! The drinks with dark rum were outstanding. We met some great cab drivers for exploring (Wildfire, Kingsley Tours and Gary) and would certainly love to return. For a small resort, we had no problem meeting plenty of people and always had friendly conversation with both staff and guests. It is all inclusive, however, minimum wage in Jamaica is less than $50 a week, US. The staff goes above and beyond, therefore, we felt they deserved tipped. They certainly appreciate whatever you can afford, even if it is a dollar. I never saw a mosquito or any other bug in the room at all. And no sand fleas on the beach. We stayed in 703 and were closer to the road than some rooms, but I never heard the road excessively or had any trouble. All the cabins are lovely.

Room Tip: We walked the entire property and thought they all looked very nice. 300 and 400s have the best moun...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I went for to the Palms for 10 days in January and had an absolutely wonderful time. The look and vibe of the hotel is of totally relaxed, rustic elegance.

The rooms are like little cabins, it feels private and cozy and the night sounds are extraordinary, we often turned off the TV and just let the little critter sounds lull us to sleep. The daybed on the balcony is one of the most fantastic additions I've had at any hotel! I regularly watched the sun come up with my coffee and book snuggled on that little bed surrounded by exotic foliage.

There are some exceptional hotel staff here, the girls at the front desk are always ready to help out, give advice and just generally ensure everything is to your satisfaction with glorious smiles. Octavia, Karla and Kadian took excellent care of us.

The buffet is good, I’m a picky eater so it was a bit more challenging for me but my boyfriend thought it was great. The omelet station is an absolute must for breakfast along with a cappuccino made by Shannon. Great thanks to Opal at the beach resto for delicious lunches and Shemoy and Cornelias (Bella) were our first choice servers for dinner.

The beach is across the street but for us having previously stayed at a ton of huge resorts the walk was actually shorter than what we were used to. There’s a crossing guard to get you across, a full bar, clean bathrooms, lots of chairs (set up for us every morning), shade or sun depending on your preference. The water is gorgeous. We preferred to spend our days there as opposed to the pool.

There is a small general store run by Miss Willy, they have the basics, but if you’re looking for tons of souvenirs, booze, t-shirts etc… I would recommend running up the road to Strawberry’s.

I had two massages with Denise at the spa, she was great, it was done in a thatched roof open space with fans and the winds blowing….lovely!

I’m not saying everything was perfect, but I will say we would go back there in a heartbeat. If you are looking for a big party place or super high end luxury, this is NOT the right resort for you. If you’re looking for quiet, casual, easy, unique look no further.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the 100-200-300's, they are further from the road and I think a bit bigger. The...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lissylou27
Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our group of eight varied in range from a 3 yr old to mid 60 and each and everyone of us had a really great time. While we have all travelled to many other tropical places, other All Inclusive's and as part of cruises, we all commented a few times how this was one place that 1 week did not seem long enough. On our last day we were actually all out in the water trying to figure out how we could stay a little longer.

I will admit that the trip started out a bit rough - nothing horrible, but I had such high expectations of everything that something was bound to happen. We were in and out of the airport in no time - no line ups at all on a Tuesday around 11 am - peak season. We travelled with Air Canada Vacations and decided against getting a private transfer, which turned out to be wise because there were only three other people on the mini bus with us - also going to SATP. The drive to the resort was scenic, but wow - I covered my eyes a few times. However, we all arrived safe and sound.

Pulling up to the resort it looked exactly as I had pictured it. Lovely, lush with vegatation and calm. There were two ladies doing check in's and although our rooms were not ready, we were early so that was fine, plus they had kept the buffett open a little longer waiting for us to arrive. It was very nice and we all enjoyed our meal. This was the only lunch that we ate at the buffett, the rest were at the beach grill because we just could not part with the beach and the convience of the grill right there. Plus the food was also great there. We especially loved the mango snapper, jerk chicken and who doesn't love a grilled cheese sandwich.

So back to check in. We ate lunch and checked back as they had asked us. Our rooms were still not ready. So we went back to the dining area and chatted for another 45 minutes or so and checked back again. This time 2 out of 4 rooms were ready and they said the other 2 rooms would be ready by the time the bell hop came back with the luggage cart. This was not true. The remaining 2 rooms took another hour and by this time we were getting a upset because it was well past check in time and we were losing out on our first day of vacation.

I had emailed the resort and requested a quiet area of the resort, away from the road and pool. I also said that it was not important to keep our rooms close together, it was more important for us all to be away from the pool and the road. While I know this was a request only, I was hopeful. This did not happen. We all ended up in the 600's, away from the pool but beside the road. I will say it turned out nice being close to each other, but the road was a bit of an issue. One couple ended up switching rooms twice, once because their air conditioner broke and the other because the replacement room was very loud because of the road. At the end, we were all happy and the birds ended up waking us before the traffic did.

The rooms looked just as they do in the pictures. They are very pretty and the decks with the day beds are a great touch. There is not a fridge in the room but they do have them if you request them. Two people in our group wanted a fridge to keep water and beer in and they were delivered within minutes of being requested. The king beds are very comfortable. We requested an extra cot for our son to sleep on, and while it did not see really comfortable to me, he slept just fine. I know everyone mentions the showers, and there is a reason. They are nice. There are jets everywhere and it's nice to get a little water massage at the end of another hard day at the beach ; ) There are safes in the closes and one person in our group found out the hard way. Do no lose you key. There is only one key to fit each lock, and you have it. If you lose it they have to change the whole lock system and it is a $50.00 charge. Not the end of the world, but not a worry you want to have on vacation. Keep it somewhere safe.

Next we were off the beach which I had pictured as being calm and crystal clear. This was not the case. It had been windy for a few days before we arrived so the ocean was turned up and there were still fairly large wave. It was a bit dissappointing, but certainly not any fault of the resort. The next morning there was a few feet of seaweed to wade through before getting out into the water. This was cleaned up throughout the day and on day - it was picture perfect. Clear tourquise water, calm water except for when a boat or jet ski went by and a perfect beach. I had read about sand gravity taking place in Negril, I get it now. There are beach vendors, but by no means are they aggresive. Actually - we rather enjoyed them and tipped many of them for their entertainment. We were all offered legal and illegal things, a polite no thanks or a shake of our heads and everyone was on their way. The beach here is not really wide. It is certainly not tiny, but if you are picturing Punta Cana, or Tulum, it is not like that. There is plenty of room though - you a certainly not packed in like sardines and there is no need for the towel game. There are plenty of chairs avail. and they are even delivered to whatever place you pick out for the day. Also - there are many trees around, so certainly no lack of shade. We loved the beach...after day 2.

Our group did not have many complaints about the food. The breakfast buffet was the same everyday. Different kinds of pancakes, peach, banana, raison, they were all great. They have an omlette station which was great, they have everything you need or could want for breakfast, no complaints here.

Like I said earlier, we had one lunch at the buffet - it was very good, and the rest were at the beach grill. The beach grill is cook to order so there can be a bit of wait, but if you time it right and avoid the crowd, you will be fine. It is the same menu everyday, but there are about 15 - 20 things on it.

Supper was also great. Part of our group went to the Al la Carte one night, they said it was good but they were just as happy with the buffet. Seriously, the food is good. We went the the beach for supper on Friday - it was great. What a view. It is served at 7pm though - our little one was getting tired and hungry by then. I should have grabbed something so he could have eaten earlier.

We didn't get too adventurous with drinks. We started out with beer (red stripe on tap) and some stayed with that for the week and the rest of switched to coconut rum and Ting. So good and refreshing. Pink Paradise's were also a fav. but they can sneak up on you because the bartenders are not stingy with the liquer. Not complaining at all, but we started out with a few of those one day and by noon we switched to water for awhile. Ah, vacation.

We all enjoyed our week here. The resort is small, not cramped and very beautiful. We spent a little time in the pool and while it is not huge like the mega resorts we like it. It is a unique shape so you while it is not huge you still have room to go for a swim. We also enjoyed the hot tub.

This is a family friendly resort and there was one other family there with children. The resort was full while we were there, so there were two families with children. Our kids had a great time playing with each other on the beach, building castles and digging holes. I would be surprised it they bother any other guests there looking to get away from kids. Many people actually commented about how nice it was to see the kids having so much fun in the sand.

We went on a few excursions while we there. We took the snorkeling/catamaran trip offered on the beach. For $20 I'd say it was worth the boat ride alone, but we saw some really pretty fish at the first spot we went to. The second spot we really didn't see anything. I'm not sure why they even took us there. I guess to fill up the 2 hr time slot but I would have preferred to stay at the first spot where all the fish were.

We also went to Ricks Cafe, Margaritaville and Catch a Falling Star. Ricks was neat, but it was hot and busy. We were there around 3:30 so I guess a little early as we only saw one diver go to the high spot. But it was neat and the water there was so pretty. Margaritaville was a fun pit spo, right on 7 mile beach. Catch a Falling Star was fantastic. We went for supper at sunset. I requested the table closest to the ocean, I think #23, they had it all set up with flowers and candles. It was nice and they were more than happy to snap a few pictures for us.

We also took a full day tour with Dudley from Big Ship Tours. We took the South Coast Tour which included The Black River Safari (crocodiles), YS Falls (so pretty with tarzan rope swings and swimming pools), Bamboo Avenue and The Pelican Bar, which is a must. You just have to do. Dudley was a great tour guide and a very safe driver on roads that make you question why you didn't just stay on the dreamy beach back at the resort.

All in all - we have a fantastic trip and are trying to figure out when we can get back.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the road - 400/700's seem to be the best noise wise and remember a request...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank gghope
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We are a mid-forties couple who prefer smaller venues and a good beach is a must have. During previous trips to Jamaica, we stayed at RIU Ocho Rios & RIU Negril. We stayed at SATP last year. This year we stayed from Mar 17-24.

Following are the Pros and Cons - for us - of this little gem:

Pros:

- small resort...nice layout, easy to get around
- lush foliage, beautiful flowers-provides good privacy around the rooms
- bungalow set up...can't hear your neighbours through the walls, very unique room with vaulted ceiling and lots of wood give it an almost Bali feel, no glass in windows means most nights you can keep a couple of shutters open with just the ceiling fan on & fall asleep listening to the tree frogs/crickets (except very humid nights...then you want the air!)
- food is good - the buffet is not gourmet so don't go expecting it but you will not go hungry and, with the exception of one night, the buffet food was always hot; the Lotus Leaf a la carte restaurant has a higher calibre of food...I had the beef tenderloin and it was done perfectly; the red snapper and jerk chicken at the beach grill are both very good
- every single staff member we encountered had a smile and a hello...quite a number were very outgoing and we had many lovely conversations
- the beach...shorter walk to the beach than some of the larger resorts we've been to, crossing the road was a non-issue, beach vendors who walk the beach were generally not aggressive (except for a few on the weekend), beautiful soft sand beach with easy water entry, no chair games
- entertainment consisted of a fabulous pianist/singer a few nights in the martini bar as well as a reggae band in the pool bar around 9pm each night (they were average to good)...very laid back entertainment that we found enjoyable

Cons:

- not right on the beach....I know, I know....I said that crossing the road is a non-issue and it isn't a long walk but my husband says "it's still a con...wouldn't you still prefer to be right on the beach?" This is true but, if right on the beach, the price would be much higher. It's a "small c" con.
- resort is starting to show its age and is perhaps needing some infrastructure upgrades...we (along with 2 other couples we know of) had our air conditioning break down requiring repairs...fortunately, it was one of the less humid nights where we wished to use the fan only. There was also a water line break in the part of the resort where we were staying resulting in no water for a few hours prior to/around the dinner hour one evening. This will only become a major issue if the resort doesn't keep on top of the needed repairs.

Honestly, the pros far outweigh the cons. The vibe at this resort is laid back which, for us this year, was the key to a relaxing vacation where we could enjoy each others company and recharge our batteries.

A couple of other tips:

- do make sure you WEAR the deet spray that you bring...one evening I forgot and got about 8 bites on my lower legs which became large, red, itchy and painful welts (I don't react to bug bites here in Ontario)
- check to see if you have a large gap under your room door and, if so, place a towel along it every night - when we arrived, there was a cockroach in the room which was quickly dispatched...2 nights later, I turned on the light in the bathroom and there were 2 cockroaches roaming around...I turned around and saw one marching into our room under the door. Putting a towel along the base of the door resolved the problem. The resort will spray in your room if you ask but we didn't think it was necessary for us.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Chris

5 Thank krisrn
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We loved this resort. The tree house concept is so much better than standard hotel rooms, and the tropical garden setting was beautiful. This place was made for relaxing. From the moment we arrived the staff, all of them, were friendly and attentive. We did request a room change in order to be further from the road and Carla at the front desk was very accomdating, moving us, on my husbands birthday to a room at the very back, facing the field and mountains. Moving was very painless, they took care of everything while we went to the beach.

The food was great, whether, buffet, beach or restuarant. So many great choices and flavours. Best resort food we've ever had. Special call out to Opal at the beach grill. Loved the jerk chicken, always served with a smile and a laugh.

The staff always took the time to say hello, and make sure you had what you needed, from the gardners, to the maintenance staff. Alvin in particular never missed a chance to chat and made us feel like were regulars who'd be coming here for years. At the managers social I mentioned to Kadian how much I had enjoyed the Jamaican Black cake from the buffet. When I got home, I received an email from her with the recipe! How great is that?

This is a very laid back, low key hotel; exactly what we were looking for. We met some great people and found the evening enterainment pretty good most nights. Loved the steel drum band. The resort is clean, well kept, drinks were good, and the Red Stripe cold! We had no complaints at all and are planning to return again next year.

Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is set amongst beautiful gardens, and instead of being in a concrete block of rooms, you will find yourself in a beautiful wooden tree top house, Each building only contains two back to back rooms and each has a veranda with a day bed, table and chairs. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean by the lovely housekeeping staff. Bathrooms are large with plenty of storage space and we loved the jet shower! The food is all buffet (except for the a la carte restaurant which is open on certain days of the week) and is a good mix of international and jamaican cooking. We loved the jamaican breakfasts in particular! Depending on the particular moment you hit dinner, the food can be a little on the cool side for our tastes - we like our food steaming hot, but it is very tasty. There is a restaurant and bar on the beach so you can spend the whole day there without having to go back for lunch. The beach is really only a couple of minutes walk and although you do have to cross a busy road there is a crossing guard to help you. The beach is amazing; beautfiully clean, warm sea, soft sand. There are singers every day (Hi Donnavon!) which we loved (so take some spare change to the beach to show your appreciation). The only thing I would wish for which wasn't provided is one night a week with a DJ and dancing. There is entertainment (though no films on the beach as advertised by Virgin!) but it's not really music to dance to. We are soul jazz funk lovers though! Last, but definitely not least, all the staff working at the resort are without exception wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble, even though everyone works so hard. A wonderful place.

3 Thank Diane S
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We spent our honeymoon at this wonderful resort. We had a spacious treehouse room, with a king size bed. We didn't have any problems with the room whatsoever. We spent a lot of time at the pool.... or in the pool sat up at the bar drinking Jamaica's finest Rum!!! The beach was a 3-5mins walk across the road which was guarded throughout beach opening hours. The food was amazing... I want to return just for the food. They had a different selection each night with the most popular being the Local cuisine.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED