“If you want relaxing, this is it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset at the Palms

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sunset at the Palms
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Pepperell, Massachusetts
“If you want relaxing, this is it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to SATP for a week in November. We had done research here on TA, and picked it based on the fact is was quiet and relaxing. We loved the grounds,and took the tour with Shorty. So much information! We loved our room (412), and the view of the mountains. There was always a nice breeze when we sat out on the day bed. Some had complained about the beach being aross the street; it's only five minutes. We spent every day at the beach. I have been to much larger all inclusives where the walk to the pool was longer than this. The locals that come around and play music are great, and are not pesty.
The food at the beach bar is amazing, escpecially the jerk chicken and the grilled snapper. the food in the restaurants was excellent as well especially in the ala carte. We never had a problem making a reservation or being seated.
The staff at the hotel were always so friendly and helpful.
We also attended two weddings on the beach at the hotel. They do a great job.
As far as bugs, the only time we got bit was at sunset at the pool bar. We brought 100% deet and that worked.
We went to Ricks one night, to see the sunset and the diving. It was a must see.
Another night we went to Three Dives and Xtabi for dinner. Three Dives is very casual, but had an amazing sunset! It's an outdoor place and you eat on picnic tables. We just had a couple beers and an app. Xtabi, was probably the most romantic place we have ever been and the meal was fantastic. We had the biggest baked stuffed lobsters we have ever seen. Two people can split one. Our table was on the edge of a cliff/wall and the view was just amazing. The sounds of the ocean splashing against the wall is very soothing.
You can walk from one to the other as well and do in the same night as we did.
One day for lunch we went to the Office of Nature. Being from Boston, we love lobster and had read so much about this place. The lobster was fantastic! Cooked on an open flame with butter and garlic; very tasty. It was only 20 bucks, and they have a bar there as well.
As you can see we absolutely loved our trip and will definitely go back.
The must tries are:
-Ricks Cafe
-Xtabi if you want a romantic dinner.
-Office of Nature for lunch
-The Jerk chicken at the beach bar.
All in all in all we absolutely loved everything. Except for one afternoon, and two nights we spent every moment at the resort just relaxing on the beach, pool, or on the day bed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the edge of the mountain side of the property. We only used the ac once because t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank DAVE B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
Cornwall, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed from January 17 to 24, 2013 and spent an awesome vacation at Sunset at the Palms.
Treehouse 614 was located in the middle, not too close to the road, nor too close to the bar. The only thing we heard at night were tree frogs and in the morning the woodpecker, letting us know what time it was. The balcony was very nicely sheltered and private. The room was always very clean and fresh towels were provided daily. The lights in the room were kind of dim, so not ideal for reading. Could have another lamp at the table. We liked the rustic wooden floors and the fact that we had our own little cottage was amazing.
The resort is small with a intimate touch and the staff were all very friendly and always helpful! If you like plants you definitely have to attend one of "Shortys" garden tours. They are free of charge and Shorty will guide you through the whole resort!
Food is very good, well seasoned and a big variety of fruit, vegetables, salads and meats. The fish was just amazing!
The beach is beautiful, well kept with plenty of beach chairs, plenty of different drinks and the lunch prepared by Opal was great.
Overall an absolute wonderful experience!!
If you need a taxi, we found Candyman extremely nice, knowledgeable and entertaining.
We had a great time when we went to Mayfield Falls with him. He would stop and point things out to us and suggested other interesting things to see on the way. (we will have to go to the Spice Man another year).
We would definitely go back to Sunset at the Palms and would also visit Mayfield Falls again.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed a week with my family at the end of December 2012. Hotel and Beach are excellent for the price! Food is good. Staff is extremely poor! Not sure if they are rude or if this is hotel policy but during my stay I noticed the following: The nicest rooms are in 400s and 500s. The hotel constantly moves people from room to room as most people want to request these rooms. They are quiet unlike the other rooms especially 100s by the road.

Must do: 1. Find a guy named Henry on the beach. He gave my family a private tour on his boat. We went snorkeling and swam by the cliffs. He is an awesome fella and will make your trip memorable. 2. Book your taxi with Big Ship Tours, Dudley Warren. They know how to treat customers. Beers on the ride to hotel and the best price I got. Asked total 5 taxi companies.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank dorianpopi
Farmington, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had the most fantastic vacation at the Sunset at the Palms. This is not a "concrete jungle" American style resort with thousands of rooms. With only 85 rooms it was very intimate and relaxed. The accommodations were clean and comfortable (the bed was a little hard but ok) and the bathrooms were quite nice. The lighting at night inside the rooms is a little dim but it was fine for us. The food at the restaurant was fresh and delicious. Plenty of fruit and tasty vegetarian dishes mixed with plenty of fish and meat dishes, all nicely seasoned and authentic. Shannon was our favorite server and she brought us our coffee and favorite hot sauce for our breakfast every day without us even asking! When it was time to head to the beach it was a short walk to paradise. The staff at the beach was helpful in getting us set up every day and the bartenders kept the drinks coming. Clive was especially entertaining, singing as he mixed and poured. When it was time to head over to the grill at the beach we got excellent service and food from Opal. Opal was really great. Janice set up our excursions and did a great job of helping us pick out our activities. She hooked us up with great drivers like Benjy and Mr. Sinclair who were safe drivers, professional, and fun to be with. Mr. Sinclair was especially entertaining. We ended the week extremely relaxed and not wanting to leave. We are DEFINITELY going to come back next year. We highly recommend this resort unless you are looking for a busy, crowded atmosphere.

Room Tip: The 400's are the best rooms (away from the road and facing the sunrise every day) but, if they...
8 Thank Robert S
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Second time was even better, what a fabulous place and the staffm well they are the best.
This is truly paradise.
5 stars for everything about STP.
This is a unique resort as the rooms are on stilts and the vegitation is remarkable, thanks to the hard work of Shorty and his crew.
I am a breakfast person and Sunset at the Palms did not dissapoint, lunch at the beach was also top notch.
The Ocean water is warm and crystal clear, i spent hours in it and loved it, so will you.
Nice walks along the beach and plenty of vendors to checkout, they are great, so take time to say hello.
We rented a seadoo from Rock, what a thrill that was, it was our first time on a seadoo, Rock gave us a good price at around 3pm it was $50 for 1 hour.
Sunset at the Palms is a must for the adult vacationer with no kids.

1 Thank neilm3151
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This resort could tick all the Boxes but inconsistances in staff attitudes let it down badly. We arrived 7pm Having charming staff at reception run through checkin we were shown through gorgeous grounds to our room which we found was smaller than expected, the Kingsize bed had a protruding edge all around with sharp corners at just above ankle height, which both my wife and I caught and suffered bruising from, talking to other guests they'd experienced the same . The Air con would not adjust above 20 degrees and was noisey so we switched it off. The engineer never did apear during our stay to repair despite reminders. The Ceiling fan was excellent and the room temperature was ideal for sleeping. The bed very comfortable.The bedroom has bedside tables but no drawers in them, which we missed. I feel the rooms the lack drawer space. The wardrobe is in the Bathroom. The Bathroom has an excellent power shower, the washbasin tap spout protrudes a halfway into the sink and the pressure so high, which meant I had a shower spray almost every time I used it.
My comment about the staff arises as some staff were delightfull, whilst others were downright rude. Our first meal we had excellence from our waiters and were delighted with the ambience of the dining areas and quality of the food. We retired to the coffe bar for after dinner coffee only to be rudely told at 10pm he was closing down, he finished at 11pm and we were to late Incredible! Next morning at breakfast we noticed how the personal approach to guests from the the staff varied. Some delightfull others indifferent. Management should sort this out as it spoilt what should be a super experience.
The Beach for Sunset in the Palms is excellent, very safe and clean, although you have to cross the highway to access it we found this to not be a problem. The Beach chairs are in need of some TLC and whilst its supposed to be no tipping the culture is prevelant in this area. We enjoyed the Beach Grill and choice for lunch and the Bar serves quality drinks. You do get numerous local beach vendors walking along the beach but a polite No and away they go. It was nice to hear the local beach musicians play a few songs if you chose for a few dollars. Entertainment in the evenings is mainly local artists and finishes quite early so dont expect late night entertainment. We were expecting a holiday experience different from the normal resort and this resort is delightfully different in so many ways but oh dear the attitude of some members of their staff is unacceptable anywhere and spoil the occassion.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank CaptainGeorge1st
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

If I had a jillion dollars, I would live here for the rest of my life.

My husband is a mega resort type of man, so we generally go to huge hotels with gambling, nice restaurants, and parties. But this year, I won the right of picking our vacation destination so I chose Sunset at the Palms.

I think I may have turned a mega resort man into a sunhat wearing beach bum. And here's why.

From the moment you enter this open-air, Bali style resort, you are met with warmth and kindness. The staff here is amazing. We have never been treated with such kindness and attention. We would get up every morning and go to breakfast by the pool. I loved the buttered hard boiled eggs and fruit, while my husband enjoyed the bacon and heavier items. The coffee bar is AMAZING. Don't skip that. Jamaican coffee is the best.

We spent our days at the beach. Upon arrival, our chairs were set up by beach security, who were always singing and smiling. Omar found us a shady place under a small tree, and we sat for hours listening to musicians play the guitar and sing while we drank our Rum Creams and I painted my toenails and listened to my husband snore in the sunshine. Lol :)

I ate my weight in red snapper from the beach grill, Opal was so nice and never once called me out for being a piggy! She was so nice to chat with. Melissa and Tion made me feel like a rock star, every time I walked into the bar area they would holler my name and smile so big. I mean it, I could live this way!

The ackee and saltfish on the buffet was so incredible, I don't understand how I possibly lost weight on this vacation. I ate fish and rum constantly! The dessert table was kind of lame, but we don't eat much dessert so it was fine. After the first night Shemoy always remembered exactly what kind of wine we each liked, and brought it immediately to the table. I love being at a place where both my name and my preferences are remembered and brought to me right away. I'm a diva!

The rooms are so comfortable, the balcony was just fabulous with a little daybed and table and chairs. Our view was of the gardens and the tree frogs would sing us to sleep at night.

The best part was that the day we left, my husband told the staff we would return...which he NEVER says unless there is a casino and parties everywhere. He loved every bit of this pampered and restful getaway, and I am so happy we get to come back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Couples Negril
#10 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,097 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!