“Wonderful, relaxing experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Farmington, New York, United States
“Wonderful, relaxing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had the most fantastic vacation at the Sunset at the Palms. This is not a "concrete jungle" American style resort with thousands of rooms. With only 85 rooms it was very intimate and relaxed. The accommodations were clean and comfortable (the bed was a little hard but ok) and the bathrooms were quite nice. The lighting at night inside the rooms is a little dim but it was fine for us. The food at the restaurant was fresh and delicious. Plenty of fruit and tasty vegetarian dishes mixed with plenty of fish and meat dishes, all nicely seasoned and authentic. Shannon was our favorite server and she brought us our coffee and favorite hot sauce for our breakfast every day without us even asking! When it was time to head to the beach it was a short walk to paradise. The staff at the beach was helpful in getting us set up every day and the bartenders kept the drinks coming. Clive was especially entertaining, singing as he mixed and poured. When it was time to head over to the grill at the beach we got excellent service and food from Opal. Opal was really great. Janice set up our excursions and did a great job of helping us pick out our activities. She hooked us up with great drivers like Benjy and Mr. Sinclair who were safe drivers, professional, and fun to be with. Mr. Sinclair was especially entertaining. We ended the week extremely relaxed and not wanting to leave. We are DEFINITELY going to come back next year. We highly recommend this resort unless you are looking for a busy, crowded atmosphere.

Room Tip: The 400's are the best rooms (away from the road and facing the sunrise every day) but, if they...
8 Thank Robert S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Second time was even better, what a fabulous place and the staffm well they are the best.
This is truly paradise.
5 stars for everything about STP.
This is a unique resort as the rooms are on stilts and the vegitation is remarkable, thanks to the hard work of Shorty and his crew.
I am a breakfast person and Sunset at the Palms did not dissapoint, lunch at the beach was also top notch.
The Ocean water is warm and crystal clear, i spent hours in it and loved it, so will you.
Nice walks along the beach and plenty of vendors to checkout, they are great, so take time to say hello.
We rented a seadoo from Rock, what a thrill that was, it was our first time on a seadoo, Rock gave us a good price at around 3pm it was $50 for 1 hour.
Sunset at the Palms is a must for the adult vacationer with no kids.

1 Thank neilm3151
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This resort could tick all the Boxes but inconsistances in staff attitudes let it down badly. We arrived 7pm Having charming staff at reception run through checkin we were shown through gorgeous grounds to our room which we found was smaller than expected, the Kingsize bed had a protruding edge all around with sharp corners at just above ankle height, which both my wife and I caught and suffered bruising from, talking to other guests they'd experienced the same . The Air con would not adjust above 20 degrees and was noisey so we switched it off. The engineer never did apear during our stay to repair despite reminders. The Ceiling fan was excellent and the room temperature was ideal for sleeping. The bed very comfortable.The bedroom has bedside tables but no drawers in them, which we missed. I feel the rooms the lack drawer space. The wardrobe is in the Bathroom. The Bathroom has an excellent power shower, the washbasin tap spout protrudes a halfway into the sink and the pressure so high, which meant I had a shower spray almost every time I used it.
My comment about the staff arises as some staff were delightfull, whilst others were downright rude. Our first meal we had excellence from our waiters and were delighted with the ambience of the dining areas and quality of the food. We retired to the coffe bar for after dinner coffee only to be rudely told at 10pm he was closing down, he finished at 11pm and we were to late Incredible! Next morning at breakfast we noticed how the personal approach to guests from the the staff varied. Some delightfull others indifferent. Management should sort this out as it spoilt what should be a super experience.
The Beach for Sunset in the Palms is excellent, very safe and clean, although you have to cross the highway to access it we found this to not be a problem. The Beach chairs are in need of some TLC and whilst its supposed to be no tipping the culture is prevelant in this area. We enjoyed the Beach Grill and choice for lunch and the Bar serves quality drinks. You do get numerous local beach vendors walking along the beach but a polite No and away they go. It was nice to hear the local beach musicians play a few songs if you chose for a few dollars. Entertainment in the evenings is mainly local artists and finishes quite early so dont expect late night entertainment. We were expecting a holiday experience different from the normal resort and this resort is delightfully different in so many ways but oh dear the attitude of some members of their staff is unacceptable anywhere and spoil the occassion.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank CaptainGeorge1st
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

If I had a jillion dollars, I would live here for the rest of my life.

My husband is a mega resort type of man, so we generally go to huge hotels with gambling, nice restaurants, and parties. But this year, I won the right of picking our vacation destination so I chose Sunset at the Palms.

I think I may have turned a mega resort man into a sunhat wearing beach bum. And here's why.

From the moment you enter this open-air, Bali style resort, you are met with warmth and kindness. The staff here is amazing. We have never been treated with such kindness and attention. We would get up every morning and go to breakfast by the pool. I loved the buttered hard boiled eggs and fruit, while my husband enjoyed the bacon and heavier items. The coffee bar is AMAZING. Don't skip that. Jamaican coffee is the best.

We spent our days at the beach. Upon arrival, our chairs were set up by beach security, who were always singing and smiling. Omar found us a shady place under a small tree, and we sat for hours listening to musicians play the guitar and sing while we drank our Rum Creams and I painted my toenails and listened to my husband snore in the sunshine. Lol :)

I ate my weight in red snapper from the beach grill, Opal was so nice and never once called me out for being a piggy! She was so nice to chat with. Melissa and Tion made me feel like a rock star, every time I walked into the bar area they would holler my name and smile so big. I mean it, I could live this way!

The ackee and saltfish on the buffet was so incredible, I don't understand how I possibly lost weight on this vacation. I ate fish and rum constantly! The dessert table was kind of lame, but we don't eat much dessert so it was fine. After the first night Shemoy always remembered exactly what kind of wine we each liked, and brought it immediately to the table. I love being at a place where both my name and my preferences are remembered and brought to me right away. I'm a diva!

The rooms are so comfortable, the balcony was just fabulous with a little daybed and table and chairs. Our view was of the gardens and the tree frogs would sing us to sleep at night.

The best part was that the day we left, my husband told the staff we would return...which he NEVER says unless there is a casino and parties everywhere. He loved every bit of this pampered and restful getaway, and I am so happy we get to come back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela F
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My fiance and I spent the most wonderful week of our lives at SATP this past holiday season. Between the beautiful tropical setting, the private beach, and the wonderful friendly personalized service, it was truly like being in paradise. We did not want to leave! i actually cried the day we checked out. :)

We have traveled the world, and wherever we go, we always enjoy engaging with the locals and learning about the culture, customs, food, traditions, etc. The staff at this resort is nothing short of amazing. My fiance loves water sports, and I don't really care for them, so while he spent his afternoons playing on the jet-skis and other water sports, I spent my time chatting with Melissia and Tian at the beach bar. I am amazed that they did not run out of rum, I drank about a barrel over the week. But the drinks and the conversation kept flowing! Their kindness was incredible, I never felt like I was being a bother even though I requested about a dozen rum punches a day and talked their ears off. I miss them so much!

The beach here is amazing. Yes it is across the street, but the location is fantastic and the short walk is worth having the resort removed from the actual beach location. Make sure you get a grilled fresh lobster for $20, that was incredible. Omar was always there to set up our beach chairs, he was adorable and sweet. He even brought me a fresh coconut one morning when I had a bit of a hangover.

I love that they serve so much fish here. The grilled red snapper at the beach bar is to die for, as well as all of the fish dishes for dinner in the evenings. I was always happy to see Ms. Opal at the beach grill, she has the most beautiful laugh. And at dinner we were greeted by Shemoy and his big smile to keep our wine glasses full. These people just really know how to make you feel special, and boy did we ever!

The beautiful landscape tour with the gardener was another highlight. I love plants and flowers, and he was willing to explain every last one.

The vendors can be a little annoying on the beach, but if you just say no they will leave you alone. But it is CONSTANT. Sometimes I would just have enough of the vendors, and I would go talk to Melissia and Tian some more. They laughed at me constantly and I admit I loved that!

I feel as though we had a relaxing time, some great food, good strong drinks, and made some friends while we were there. SATP Negril is definitely a place we will return to again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Josie C
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

What an extraordinary hotel! We were tired of generic all- inclusives but were sceptical about the tree houses. So happy we gave it a chance. It's small that it doesn't take you long to get anywhere, The property was gorgeous and kept immaculate. The food was actually good and fresh. The Jamaican dishes and vegetables were great. The pool is beautiful but didn't spend much time there. A. It's cold B. the beach is AMAZING! There is room for everyone, there's plenty of sand, plenty of chairs, do not listen to some negative reviews. The ocean is like clear glass and warm.
There's fun to be had on the beach if you want, water sports, traveling musicians, and people selling just about everything. They weren't pushy, just shake your head no and they leave you alone. The walk to the beach was 2 minutes. I've stayed at hotels that took longer to walk to the beach from the lobby. There was never a reason to leave, food drinks, rest room all there. Also, the only beach on bloody bay with any trees or shade.
The gym is also very nice, they could have done a few classes to bring people in. Entertainment was mellow, a great female singer 3x and a great piano player. People congregate and hang, talk to each other!
The rooms are dark, it's hard to open shutters because of gnats, there are not solid doors to the bathroom, bring air freshener, you do hear tree frogs all night( turn on AC and it drowns it out) but I wouldn't pass up this tropical paradise. The main reason, THE STAFF!!! Amazing people who served with a smile, brought extra towels, bent over backwards to make you happy! My favorite coffee girl Cristella was the nicest person I've ever met. We also loved Ken AKA Will Smith, Rory and Clive at the bar, Claudette, Damon, and Shemoyan for breakfast and dinner. Manager Sharon and the restaurant managers were also very nice people.
Bring bug spray everywhere, it's not the resort, it's the tropics. Use the taxi service outside, John Wayne or Candyman, much cheaper than inside the resort. please do not pass up this experience, it's the best! Can only hope I can do it again.

Room Tip: We supposedly had the best location, 507. Still heard the road but it's a small road not a freew...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Helran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We really enjoyed the tree house, the grounds, and the service. The short walk to the beach was nice, through the green space. We found the food was not outstanding but above average for an all inclusive resort. The Internet connection at the lobby needs to be upgraded, and I would suggest they expand to get high speed Internet to the tree houses. The weather was incredible. The bar service was really good. The evening entertainment was a bit lacking though. The piano bar was great but short. They had one night of karaoke, then a few small two four person entertainers. If you want the large evening show this is not the place. The neat thing was getting to meet and then getting know other guests. In this setting you get to see folks often and striking up a conversation is quite easy. We were very pleased with our stay at Sunset at the Palms. We did our homework and the smaller venue the tree fogs and the birds just set the perfect back drop for our two weeks at one of the best kept groomed grounds we have stated at. Nice work folks. Very relaxing Very good staff.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Couples Negril
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,930 reviews

Been to Sunset at the Palms? Share your experiences!